chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors - 1/25/23

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Wednesday, January 25, 10:00 PM

Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors 

Television: Bally Sports Southeast | ESPN

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: 

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Expected Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Desmond Bane Dillon Brooks Jaren Jackson Jr Steven Adams 
Image result for ja morant headshot image.jpeg Dillon Brooks image.jpeg Steven Adams

Expected Bucks Starting 5

Steph Curry Klay Thompson Andrew Wiggins Draymond Green Kevon Looney
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Benches

Memphis Grizzlies: Santi Aldama, Kennedy Chandler, Brandon Clarke, Danny Green, Tyus Jones, John Konchar, Jake LaRavia, Kenneth Lofton Jr (2way), David Roddy, Xavier Tillman, Ziaire Williams, Vince Williams Jr (2way)

Golden State Warriors: Patrick Baldwin, Donte DiVincenzo, JaMychal Green, Andre Iguodala, Ty Jerome, Jonathan Kuminga, Anthony Lamb, Marcus Moody, Jordan Poole, Ryan Rollins, James Wiseman 

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Bucks: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

this game should be underlined and circled on the locker room chalkboard. emotional absolute must win. we need to shine.

slim.

1 hour ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I sure hope we continue our strategy of leaving shooters wide open if anybody attempts to drive. That should work out well against the warriors. Even Brevin complaining about it last night.

Its bad bad.  I really hope someone tells Taylor that the reason why we got blitzed from 3 in the first half.  Was because Sabonis (according to SAC commentator) told his guys that (paraphrase) "Grizzlies overplay on defense so they should get open looks".   

By now everyone has tape on us and have figured out how to exploit our weaknesses.    Ja and SteveO are basically our entire offense.  Ja's isos and Steve grabbling all our scud misses keeps us in games.   

33 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its bad bad.  I really hope someone tells Taylor that the reason why we got blitzed from 3 in the first half.  Was because Sabonis (according to SAC commentator) told his guys that (paraphrase) "Grizzlies overplay on defense so they should get open looks".   

By now everyone has tape on us and have figured out how to exploit our weaknesses.    Ja and SteveO are basically our entire offense.  Ja's isos and Steve grabbling all our scud misses keeps us in games.   

The problem with our overplay is it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. It's a common sight, just watch any possession. Two wing/guards up top on either side for the opponent, we have a man on each. If somebody screens (or the perimeter player drives middle), the guard on other side will rotate all the way inside the lane. It's a simple pass to the open wing player. It's not a skip pass , that player doesn't have to move at all, and it's a WIDE OPEN 3. There's no rotation so that he has to make an additional pass to the corner either, the original guy who sucks into the lane is supposed to recover, which is impossible to closeout that distance and put any pressure on the shot.

But the guy who steps into the lane also doesn't challenge the guy with the ball, he's just there to be there seemingly. I don't understand what we're doing exactly.

It's unfortunate this game has so much weight to it with our recent struggles. Certainly an opportunity for a message game and a way to get things back on track, but what's m ore likely is another disappointing loss at just the wrong time given how good the warriors are at home.

Hopefully the rest against the kings for Ja and Adams will really allow them to compete at a high level. 

We need to start BC instead of Tillman this game. There's only 1 two man lineup with net negative rating this year, and that's Tillman at -1.4. Second lowest is with Bane at +7.4. Massive difference, and we don't need to try that again. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

We need to start BC instead of Tillman this game. There's only 1 two man lineup with net negative rating this year, and that's Tillman at -1.4. Second lowest is with Bane at +7.4. Massive difference, and we don't need to try that again. 

Please for the love of Gawd.  Can someone explain to TJ that it's okay to just roll with 3 Bigs???  I would love to see some Santi Jaren minutes too.

10 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Hopefully the rest against the kings for Ja and Adams will really allow them to compete at a high level.

Soo ... about that ...

The Commercial Appeal is reporting that Steve is out 3 - 5 weeks with a sprained knee.

ouch

That stinks about Adams.

BUT, longer-term in the "post-modern" NBA we are basically gonna ride with Ja/Tyus at point, Bane/Dillon/ZW on the wings and Jaren/BC/Santi as the big man rotation.

Maybe we get a little QUICKER up front with some better spacing.  Have to TRAP the pick and roll action from the forward spots (Dillon and BC or Bane/BC with Dillon staying home on the other team's alpha wing).

If we play the right combinations of those guys we should be ok.  If NOT, we could really really struggle.  

Or, heck, just go with a ONE BIG/FOUR GUARDS/WINGS lineup of Ja/Bane/ZW/Dillon/Jaren.  

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Soo ... about that ...

The Commercial Appeal is reporting that Steve is out 3 - 5 weeks with a sprained knee.

ouch

It wouldn't be a Grizzlies season without a key injury to a player during a critical period of the season. As long as everyone is healthy for the playoffs, everything should be fine, but it sure isn't fun.

3 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

It wouldn't be a Grizzlies season without a key injury to a player during a critical period of the season. As long as everyone is healthy for the playoffs, everything should be fine, but it sure isn't fun.

And, with Adams out, Jaren has to cut down on the REALLY dumb fouls, thus committing only RUN-OF-THE-MILL dumb fouls.

I don't know if I can stomach another Tillman start. #freebrandon . I think many people envisioned  that at some point the starting 5 would have BC at  4 and Jaren at the 5 earlier in this Grizzlies iteration. Then with the success of Jonas and eventually Adams, that idea  of went out the window. Maybe it's time to give that pairing the bulk of the starting minutes and let the bench deal with Tillman.

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

I don't know if I can stomach another Tillman start. #freebrandon . I think many people envisioned  that at some point the starting 5 would have BC at  4 and Jaren at the 5 earlier in this Grizzlies iteration. Then with the success of Jonas and eventually Adams, that idea  of went out the window. Maybe it's time to give that pairing the bulk of the starting minutes and let the bench deal with Tillman.

Well it seems like BC has been banged up, and in/out of the lineup his entire career here.

Hard to get in a groove.  Both him and the team.

BC/Jaren should theoretically work.  ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.  We will see.

Grizz will probably win cause GS won’t come out with a sense of urgency 

5 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Only problem is neither of them set good screens for Ja Jaren just doesn’t set good screens period and BC is all about slip screens and fake screens looking for lobs. Adams’s screens are a big part of Ja’s offense.

10 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

yes another big downside to TJ constantly starting Tillman.   Is that we get very few Death lineup mins.  I really wish TJ would maximize the minutes of our best lineups.  Tyus plays more with BC+JJJ +Bane than Ja does.   Its insane.    

12 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Only problem is neither of them set good screens for Ja Jaren just doesn’t set good screens period and BC is all about slip screens and fake screens looking for lobs. Adams’s screens are a big part of Ja’s offense.

Well, Ja just needs to attack, without waiting for the screen.  Either feeding it to Bane or Jaren inside or for 3, or BC for a lob.  OR, use Dillon to set picks.