chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors - 1/25/23

13 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Santi is mostly passable on defense but he can't hang with the Big guys.   I think TJ spreadsheet is stuck on pairing mode.  So he wants a Spacer + Paint Big combo in at all times.   To be fair jaren staying at the 4 is a large reason why his blocking numbers are outrageous.   When at the 5 he can't roam - hence why he didnt have a block last night.    

Yes TJ views Santi and Jaren as 4s and BC, Tillman, and Adams as 5s.  

Santi should be pumping iron in the airport lounges and restroom breaks. It's a key aspect in his long term development. His help / weak side defense is getting better and he's no longer being brushed aside by opposing players, but he can't realistically handle some of the most physical PFs out there, and he'll need to do that if he doesn't want to become a mismatch to exploit.

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Santi should be pumping iron in the airport lounges and restroom breaks. It's a key aspect in his long term development. His help / weak side defense is getting better and he's no longer being brushed aside by opposing players, but he can't realistically handle some of the most physical PFs out there, and he'll need to do that if he doesn't want to become a mismatch to exploit.

Yes, he appears to have the work ethic and talent to become a really good player. Nothing he has shown so far makes me doubt that it will happen.   He and Jaren should both be ready to Start together once Adams extension is up.   

In the meanwhile, it would be nice if he and JJJ got more reps together while Adams is out.   They need to build some chemistry now because i think we will end up seeing that lineup more in the POs.    I have a feeling Jenkins is gonna have a short leash with AquaMane and i pray Tillman isnt gonna be his solution.    It was good to see Santi being effective against GSW ( it was malpractice that he didn't get more mins in this game).    

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes, he appears to have the work ethic and talent to become a really good player. Nothing he has shown so far makes me doubt that it will happen.   He and Jaren should both be ready to Start together once Adams extension is up.   

In the meanwhile, it would be nice if he and JJJ got more reps together while Adams is out.   They need to build some chemistry now because i think we will end up seeing that lineup more in the POs.    I have a feeling Jenkins is gonna have a short leash with AquaMane and i pray Tillman isnt gonna be his solution.    It was good to see Santi being effective against GSW ( it was malpractice that he didn't get more mins in this game).    

Santi can play against GSW imo.  They arent that athletic and im not sure but it seems like Santi has gotten faster and quicker this year.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The most encouraging aspect of Santi's development is that he keeps adding to his bag during the season: the ripoff move to force fouls, the drives to the basket after a pump fake, his weak side defense leading to more blocks, they weren't there at the start of the season. If he keeps putting on muscle weight and his shooting improvement sticks (it's been half a season already, I'm optimistic) he could be a major contributor next year.

I'm a bit anxious about his performance in the coming playoffs since he hasn't played a single postseason minute yet. He has experience in high stakes youth competitions but that's not comparable to pro playoffs. But hey, them's the breaks.

I think he'll be alright despite not having played in the playoffs last season. Bane did well in his limited minutes (think he played just under 20 minutes a game) against the Jazz in his first season, and I can't see Santi playing more than limited minutes in the playoffs unless one of JJJ/BC/Adams are injured.

Didn't Ziaire and Santi work together with a Grizzlies trainer/coach this offseason in Santi's hometown? 

48 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I think he'll be alright despite not having played in the playoffs last season. Bane did well in his limited minutes (think he played just under 20 minutes a game) against the Jazz in his first season, and I can't see Santi playing more than limited minutes in the playoffs unless one of JJJ/BC/Adams are injured.

Didn't Ziaire and Santi work together with a Grizzlies trainer/coach this offseason in Santi's hometown? 

It was just one week, I think that week was probably good for building chemistry but I don't see them getting a lot of work done in such a short stint.

And frankly, Santi's hometown is in the middle of one of Europe's most important tourist hotspots. I'm sure there were some extracurricular activites included in the trip.

beach--v9111851.jpg

On 1/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, Ndq0327 said:

Those are the two who need upgrading I don’t know why they didn’t do something with Tillman this summer when Junior was getting a lot of buzz. They need an athletic big with size that defends and rebound’s basically a taller BC to have as an emergency big.

I don't understand all the beef about Tillman.  He's the FIFTH big.  He's probably far better than most of the fifth bigs on the majority of other NBA teams.  He's a good defender tied for 3rd best defensive rating on the team who can effectively switch onto smaller players.  His rebound rate is third best behind Adams and BC.   He's not a great scorer, but at 59% FG he's an efficient 2nd on the team.  His contract is very small.   What kind of upgrade are you talking about??  An upgrade probably cuts into BC's and Santi's minutes.  I think you need to look elsewhere to upgrade.  I certainly wouldn't be worrying about the last big.  Anyone better will definitely cost more and may be an issue when it comes to resigning players.

29 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't understand all the beef about Tillman.  He's the FIFTH big.  He's probably far better than most of the fifth bigs on the majority of other NBA teams.  He's a good defender tied for 3rd best defensive rating on the team who can effectively switch onto smaller players.  His rebound rate is third best behind Adams and BC.   He's not a great scorer, but at 59% FG he's an efficient 2nd on the team.  His contract is very small.   What kind of upgrade are you talking about??  An upgrade probably cuts into BC's and Santi's minutes.  I think you need to look elsewhere to upgrade.  I certainly wouldn't be worrying about the last big.  Anyone better will definitely cost more and may be an issue when it comes to resigning players.

They need a different style big in that spot a taller more athletic high motor big that rebounds and blocks shots catches lobs Jaren is the only shot blocker on the team Santi and Adams might get some from time to time. But in situations where adams is out or Jaren is out the extra rim protection is needed not to mention we don’t rebound all that well so having a high motor guy that goes after rebounds wouldn’t hurt in your emergency big spot. He doesn’t have to be some big names player air anything.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:50 AM, srmjr23 said:

It's simply time to make a trade. We either have to upgrade by trading ZW and Tillman or make the decision to cut the rotation down to, like, 9 players for the playoffs. And I think we've seen yhats not how this team operates. 

It’s evident it’s time for a trade or some type of Change!