The Truth is OUT

Anyone Have a Problem With Ja Doing This?

It's been mentioned a bit this season, but currently Ja is one of the top players in the league in 1st quarter scoring.

Take a look at the top 10 in this category:

453225084_Ptsin1stquarter.png.dd4a190df5e24b02b706ef696abc29c4.png

Notice anything?

The only reason I bring this up is the CA seemed to cast a little under-the-table shade at "stat padders" in an article today about Tyus Jones' performance last night. For as long as I have watched the NBA, the top stars come out and put in 10 or so in the 1st quarter when the game is just getting going. It is essentially their unstated privilege to do so, because this league celebrates stars. This is how they get 20+ nights consistently. 

I just thought it was a bizarre off-topic comment to put in an article, when we have an unabashed superstar who avails themselves (and deservedly so) of this practice. 

4 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

It's been mentioned a bit this season, but currently Ja is one of the top players in the league in 1st quarter scoring.

Notice anything?

The only reason I bring this up is the CA seemed to cast a little under-the-table shade at "stat padders" in an article today about Tyus Jones' performance last night. For as long as I have watched the NBA, the top stars come out and put in 10 or so in the 1st quarter when the game is just getting going. It is essentially their unstated privilege to do so, because this league celebrates stars. This is how they get 20+ nights consistently. 

I just thought it was a bizarre off-topic comment to put in an article, when we have an unabashed superstar who avails themselves (and deservedly so) of this practice. 

My reaction? 

The CA is still around? Who knew?

58 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Notice anything?

Not sure I get what they are hinting at.   Many of the top players on every team play all or the majority of the first quarter.  Ja will play the whole quarter, or come out with a minute or two left.  He then returns in the 2nd quarter with 7+ minutes to go.  Then he starts the 3rd quarter, and comes out with a minute or two left and enters in 4th with 6+ minutes.  So, most starters if not all with this type of rotation will have their most points in the 1st or 3rd quarters. Ja averages less mpg (33.3) than all of these guys.  Tatum and Durant are the highest at 37mpg.  

Any stat padding will come at the end of the game if a certain player is intentionally fouled a bunch and they get a lot of free throws.  

10 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Not sure I get what they are hinting at.   Many of the top players on every team play all or the majority of the first quarter.  Ja will play the whole quarter, or come out with a minute or two left.  He then returns in the 2nd quarter with 7+ minutes to go.  Then he starts the 3rd quarter, and comes out with a minute or two left and enters in 4th with 6+ minutes.  So, most starters if not all with this type of rotation will have their most points in the 1st or 3rd quarters. Ja averages less mpg (33.3) than all of these guys.  Tatum and Durant are the highest at 37mpg.  

Any stat padding will come at the end of the game if a certain player is intentionally fouled a bunch and they get a lot of free throws.  

Well, to be fair, there wasn't an explicit critique in the article. But it was a curious sidebar. There's no reason to say it unless the writer is intending to call attention to something.

8 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Notice anything?

The CA would complain if Bane AND Jaren joined Ja on this list.

Those 3 should have NUCLEAR glow-in-the-dark NEON green lights.

10 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Notice anything?

You should quote the stuff that bothers you. I'm guessing we can't read it without a subscription.

But, and its a big one, (I love saying that,) you've got the beginnings of some good outrage:

"stat padders,"

and new ones on me:

under-the-table shade,

and unstated privilege.

I dig it man. Keep up the good work!

Here's one for ya:

Ja Morant says he will gift his Grizzlies teammates Rolex watches with new NBA contract

“It’s just a matter of time,” Morant said of getting his teammates Rolex watches. “My bread got to kick in first. I’m still broke. Next year, when I get my money.” 

9/20/22

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2022/09/28/memphis-grizzlies-ja-morant-to-gift-teammates-rolex-watches/69515358007/

5 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

The CA would complain if Bane AND Jaren joined Ja on this list.

Those 3 should have NUCLEAR glow-in-the-dark NEON green lights.

The CA isnt what it used to be. I do like Cole though. He's great on twitter and the podcast hes on.  Daily Memphian for me. 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

The CA isnt what it used to be. I do like Cole though. He's great on twitter and the podcast hes on.  Daily Memphian for me. 

Yes, Damichael is good.  But, local ownership always trumps ownership from some far off land.  That's why the Daily Memphian has been so successful.  

8 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I stick to message boards for my info.

I miss Tillery! We got scoop on front office, insight from team and player dynamics.
Is the team locking the CA out in favor of their own product? Is it good?

23 minutes ago, cousy said:

I miss Tillery! We got scoop on front office, insight from team and player dynamics.

You’re on a roll lately, Cousy. 

Tillery was a clown. Should have been fired a long time before he was eventually canned. 

26 minutes ago, cousy said:

Ron Tillery was a good reporter at the CA. The problem was he didn't develop a wide enough range of informants. He got spoon fed stories from Heisley, Wallace and Hollins. When they left he had no sources inside the organization and as we all know now, this FO is extremely secretive. I also believe he was burned out. He had been following the Grizzlies for years and was sounding more and more tired compared to the younger guys in the media. 

I understood people in the group didn't approve of him but never saw the basis. However surely you have to agree that his reporting was based  on interviews not "grades" (which is embarassingly juvenile for a major newspaper. 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Ron Tillery was a good reporter at the CA. The problem was he didn't develop a wide enough range of informants. He got spoon fed stories from Heisley, Wallace and Hollins. When they left he had no sources inside the organization and as we all know now, this FO is extremely secretive. I also believe he was burned out. He had been following the Grizzlies for years and was sounding more and more tired compared to the younger guys in the media. 

OK . Thanks. But, Tillery knew how the ball bounced. He knew the game. I got a sense of the flow from his reporting alone. I  miss that. Other guys know the "what" but not the "why".

9 minutes ago, cousy said:

I understood people in the group didn't approve of him but never saw the basis. However surely you have to agree that his reporting was based  on interviews not "grades" (which is embarassingly juvenile for a major newspaper. 

Ron got interviews in private. That isn't the case anymore. The new reporter is not allowed to have private interviews so interviews are basically worthless for print media. By the time they have it written up it's already up on Twitter and all the other social medias. 

Sports journalism has changed a lot in the last 10 years. 

I am shocked to know that reporters cannot develop personal relationships with the team. OK. I understand. Presumably, even Brevin (who has a lot of insight of course) cannot inform the reporting. I'm disillusioned. 

Basically, GCM is the media gatekeeper for the Grizzlies, and it follows NBA guidelines religiously. Much easier to prevent one media outlet from crying foul about limited access when all media outlets have the exact same access. No more media in the locker room, the team brings the coach and selected players out to a meeting room so all the media can ask their questions. COVID just accelerated a process that was developing five years ago.

5 minutes ago, Wells said:

Basically, GCM is the media gatekeeper for the Grizzlies, and it follows NBA guidelines religiously. Much easier to prevent one media outlet from crying foul about limited access when all media outlets have the exact same access. No more media in the locker room, the team brings the coach and selected players out to a meeting room so all the media can ask their questions. COVID just accelerated a process that was developing five years ago.

MPC 2.3 Out Now Your move Maschine! | Page 3 | NI Community Forum

4 minutes ago, Wells said:

I knew something was missing from my basketball experience!

39 minutes ago, Wells said:

There is some truth to that, but the player's union pushes for that, not the league.