The Truth is OUT

Anyone Have a Problem With Ja Doing This?

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Ron Tillery was a good reporter at the CA. The problem was he didn't develop a wide enough range of informants. He got spoon fed stories from Heisley, Wallace and Hollins. When they left he had no sources inside the organization and as we all know now, this FO is extremely secretive. I also believe he was burned out. He had been following the Grizzlies for years and was sounding more and more tired compared to the younger guys in the media. 

He may have been your buddy, but he was not a good reporter.

Tillery had several problems. He was incredibly thin-skinned. He actually blocked other local sports media on Twitter, which is such a punk move. And of course he got mocked for that on sports radio, which made him even more thin-skinned.

Next, he was basically Lionel's publicist. Wallace was on the radio all the time, and 10 minutes later, Tillery would tweet a 'sources close to Coach Hollins' rebuttal, becuase Lionel was thin-skinned too, when everyone knew it was Tillery talking directly to Hollins.

Next, Tillery never broke any news. On the road, he was often the only local guy with the team, and yet he didn't seem to have any sources for breaking news. Not just important stuff like big trades. Just everyday stuff. It was alwasy Marc Stein or Ben Golliver or someone like that. 

And Heisley and Wallace did not like Tillery. By the end, he was barely on speaking terms with the front office, new or old.

Last, he brought race into issues when there was zero evidence race had anything to do with it. Like when Levien fired Hollins. Hollins was attacking the new front office through the media all the time - the Rudy Gay trade, the ""When you have a champagne taste, you can’t be on a beer budget" quote -  it was inevitable that Levien and Pera would put their own guy in. Also ZBo wanted Hollins gone. Tillery attacked Dave Yeager, the backstabbing assistant out for Hollins' job . . ., for the simple fact that he was white and replaced his buddy Hollins. 

Tillery was quickly forgotten after the CA fired him.  

21 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The best scorers in the league score their most points when they play the most minutes.

Truly, a shocking revelation.

Exactly, he plays the whole quarter.

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

There is some truth to that, but the player's union pushes for that, not the league. 

You think either the Union or the Association wants the players looking like idiots, saying or doing crazy stuff in front of somebody with an iPhone on record?  I think both would have been much happier without the Poole-Green confrontation or anytime Kyrie has opened his mouth in the last two years not being plastered over the media feed. 

The Grizzlies have a bunch of better IQ players, and GCM keeps them reminded to stay focused on their images.

3 minutes ago, Wells said:

You think either the Union or the Association wants the players looking like idiots, saying or doing crazy stuff in front of somebody with an iPhone on record?  I think both would have been much happier without the Poole-Green confrontation or anytime Kyrie has opened his mouth in the last two years not being plastered over the media feed. 

The Grizzlies have a bunch of better IQ players, and GCM keeps them reminded to stay focused on their images.

Not sure what Kyrie being mentally ill or Draymond punching his teammate in the face has to do with the players wanting to not have reporters in the locker room. Or the players wanting to be required to do less media. 

So the players who have the most ppg overall, also tend to have the most ppg in individual quarters... yeah, I'm not sure I am seeing what the story is here.  

4 hours ago, Wells said:

Basically, GCM is the media gatekeeper for the Grizzlies, and it follows NBA guidelines religiously. Much easier to prevent one media outlet from crying foul about limited access when all media outlets have the exact same access. No more media in the locker room, the team brings the coach and selected players out to a meeting room so all the media can ask their questions. COVID just accelerated a process that was developing five years ago.

It seems like I’ve heard Drew Hill talk about talking with players at a shoot around or something like that. Maybe they make a player available to the local media at an away game, and if Drew is the only local media that made the trip, it’s basically a one on one?

About Ron Tillery, I don't know much about the print side but when I heard Tillery on the radio, I was entertained and enlightened. Maybe his bias was mine, but I don't remember a heavy finger on the scale.

No, I don’t have a problem with Ja scoring in the first quarter if that’s what you’re asking

21 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

So the players who have the most ppg overall, also tend to have the most ppg in individual quarters... yeah, I'm not sure I am seeing what the story is here.  

14 hours ago, Subliminal said:

No, I don’t have a problem with Ja scoring in the first quarter if that’s what you’re asking

Neither do I. I am actually saying that major stars in this league (not even right now, but for decades) typically go out and have big 1st quarters on purpose. I don't think it's stat-padding to do it, but rather a right that the top stars have earned. I haven't done an in-depth analysis, but I would imagine very few middling to low-tier players show up in the top 10 in this category ever. It's not just about having a big 1st quarter, but that is also the "easiest" time in a regular season game to get buckets. No game is decided in the 1st quarter. 

The reason I brought it up is because of the cheeky "stat-padding" comment in the CA article. My post title is facetious; nobody should have a problem with our superstar doing superstar things. 

16 hours ago, tangogriz said:

About Ron Tillery, I don't know much about the print side but when I heard Tillery on the radio, I was entertained and enlightened. Maybe his bias was mine, but I don't remember a heavy finger on the scale.

My main problem with Tillery is that many of his articles seemed to be written while still in his PJs. While perhaps factual, they didn't generally add to the conversation, only summarized and sometimes speculated. I can't speak to him as a human being, he may be a great guy, but it seemed to me he phoned it in often on the print side. Some here have said he may have been bored, and maybe so. Workers have the right to get tired of their jobs. But don't expect it to go unnoticed. If as you say he was entertaining on the air, perhaps he just loved that more. 

2 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Neither do I. I am actually saying that major stars in this league (not even right now, but for decades) typically go out and have big 1st quarters on purpose. I don't think it's stat-padding to do it, but rather a right that the top stars have earned. I haven't done an in-depth analysis, but I would imagine very few middling to low-tier players show up in the top 10 in this category ever. It's not just about having a big 1st quarter, but that is also the "easiest" time in a regular season game to get buckets. No game is decided in the 1st quarter. 

The reason I brought it up is because of the cheeky "stat-padding" comment in the CA article. My post title is facetious; nobody should have a problem with our superstar doing superstar things. 

Why would the top scoring option not go out and immediately try to score? This is a weird article and thread 

16 hours ago, memphis slim said:

yea, the author might have a problem with ja leading us to a title…but I’d be fine with that as well. 

slim. 

lol

Just as likely that Jaren wins DPOY AND Finals MVP -- yet doesn't get an invite to the All Star Game.  haha

On 12/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, The Truth is OUT said:

It's been mentioned a bit this season, but currently Ja is one of the top players in the league in 1st quarter scoring.

Take a look at the top 10 in this category:

453225084_Ptsin1stquarter.png.dd4a190df5e24b02b706ef696abc29c4.png

Notice anything?

The only reason I bring this up is the CA seemed to cast a little under-the-table shade at "stat padders" in an article today about Tyus Jones' performance last night. For as long as I have watched the NBA, the top stars come out and put in 10 or so in the 1st quarter when the game is just getting going. It is essentially their unstated privilege to do so, because this league celebrates stars. This is how they get 20+ nights consistently. 

I just thought it was a bizarre off-topic comment to put in an article, when we have an unabashed superstar who avails themselves (and deservedly so) of this practice. 

He still closes games right? Then nope. Ja can go score as much as he wants, my only hope is that the whole team starts to find Jaren more throughout the game. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

He still closes games right? Then nope. Ja can go score as much as he wants, my only hope is that the whole team starts to find Jaren more throughout the game. 

I saw Tyus run some pick and pops with Jaren.  He got the ball in rhythm and hit 'em.  Tyus and Jaren have good chemistry.  Ja needs to work on that....  

It's almost like we have The Ja Show and The Jaren Show.  We need somebody to help be a "connector" for our Big 3 (Ja/Jaren/Bane).  Maybe that's ZW.  Maybe that's Roddy.  Bonus points for Roddy at least having the size to MAYBE be able to guard guys like Luka and Zion and Tatum.  If so, he is gonna be the biggest X factor on our team outside of the Big 3.

Might come down to ZW and Roddy.  Our starting five is gonna be Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren/Adams once everyone gets healthy.  Then is ZW our 6th man?  Or, Roddy... the odd man out joins Tyus/Konchar/Aldama/BC to form our five man bench mob.

If NEITHER develops into our "utility small forward of the future" then maybe we should go get one at the deadline... or in the '23 draft.