Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

New Orleans Pelicans @ Memphis Grizzlies -11/25/22

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, King Dork said:

 

His numbers got pushed up by hiding him on the worst offensive player on the court at all times. 

Okay, let's send him back to the G-League even though he's tied with BC for first in blocks, and tied with Konch for first in steals.  We don't need any defensive liabilities.  Just give his minutes to Roddy, LaRavia, or Lofton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Okay, let's send him back to the G-League even though he's tied with BC for first in blocks, and tied with Konch for first in steals.  We don't need any defensive liabilities.  Just give his minutes to Roddy, LaRavia, or Lofton.

Him being first in any of those categories is a statement about our roster as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, King Dork said:

Him being first in any of those categories is a statement about our roster as a whole. 

 

21 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Okay, but he's still not a defensive liability.

I believe people are underestimating Santi's defensive impact and/or overstating his ability looking at his statistics. When you think defense on the Grizzlies it begins with Jackson and ends with Brooks. Adams, Clarke, Aldama, Bane, etc are at best average defenders and at worst lousy defenders. Santi can defend three positions well and two more adequately (yes he's been switched to opposing PGs on from time to time and he's performed better than Morant when he has. 

The fact is that Aldama hasn't reached his full potential. He has played in 51 NBA regular season games over two seasons. He seems capable of becoming more than serviceable on defense given time. He should be considered a rookie right now however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

 

I believe people are underestimating Santi's defensive impact and/or overstating his ability looking at his statistics. When you think defense on the Grizzlies it begins with Jackson and ends with Brooks. Adams, Clarke, Aldama, Bane, etc are at best average defenders and at worst lousy defenders. Santi can defend three positions well and two more adequately (yes he's been switched to opposing PGs on from time to time and he's performed better than Morant when he has. 

The fact is that Aldama hasn't reached his full potential. He has played in 51 NBA regular season games over two seasons. He seems capable of becoming more than serviceable on defense given time. He should be considered a rookie right now however. 

I've mentioned a couple times in game threads that people have focused on Santi's offensive improvement (not that improving from 12.5% three point shooting was hard) but his defensive improvement is going to be much more important for his future career. He is nowhere near his final body size but no longer gets casually pushed aside by more physical players, and while he still misses some rotations every now and then he's already a decent help defender. He can gain more muscle, he's smart and he's barely played half a season worth of games with his teammates, he can only improve.

Another thing that I'd like to mention. His public image is a bit inaccurate because he mostly looks like a mild-mannered pasty white boy. Make no mistake, he's always had a mean streak. It's starting to show in choice words directed to the opposing players and bench (and at least in one occasion, to the refs - in Spanish), including a couple of T's. He's going to fit right in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I've mentioned a couple times in game threads that people have focused on Santi's offensive improvement (not that improving from 12.5% three point shooting was hard) but his defensive improvement is going to be much more important for his future career. He is nowhere near his final body size but no longer gets casually pushed aside by more physical players, and while he still misses some rotations every now and then he's already a decent help defender. He can gain more muscle, he's smart and he's barely played half a season worth of games with his teammates, he can only improve.

Another thing that I'd like to mention. His public image is a bit inaccurate because he mostly looks like a mild-mannered pasty white boy. Make no mistake, he's always had a mean streak. It's starting to show in choice words directed to the opposing players and bench (and at least in one occasion, to the refs - in Spanish), including a couple of T's. He's going to fit right in.

Agree on all points and i really concur with the last one.  He def has a lil edge to him and i like that.  Santi is only 21yrs old.  Ziaire and Santi just getting up to "adult" strength is gonna solve a lot of problems for us.     ZW+ Santi + JJJ lineup gonna be incredible in a season or two.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×