Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ALT GRIND

OFFICIAL 2023 NBA Draft MEGA THREAD with BRAND NEW Gonzo/Moneyball Draft Lotto Update. Put your big boards/mocks/draft stuff HERE!

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I like Hood-Schifinon the most but he can end up out of the Grizz range if he continues to play well.

I would take either of those Jalen’s but this draft doesn’t really look all that good to me.

This draft looks ok.  I am actually not mega high on Wemby.  Reminds me of Sam Bowie.  Also felt the urge to look up Stojko Vrankovic' highlights. Similar to Wemby, although, apparently, Stojko was lazy.  UPSIDE comp for Wemby might be Bill Walton LITE -- but with 3 point shooting (although Wemby is back to his career sub-30% shooting from "deep" -- the Parisan Barista League's 3 point line is probably shorter than the NBA's).

Amen is my top guy.  But he is one of those types of guys that get GM's fired. Either your OWN or someone else's.  He could be the Butch McRae of this draft.

Gradey D can SHOOT.  As can Jordan Hawkins (Baby John Starks???).  Noah Clowney is a good one, too.  

In our range: N'faly Dante could be a good enforcer/rim protector.  

Ausar Thompson might be worth trading UP for.

In our range I am gonna pound the advanced stats (they are posted at Tankathon Dot Com).  Terrance Shannon, Jr. is still outperforming.  Colby Jones is solid.  

Wing/transition defense is gonna be the new new new thing.  Then grab/go rebounding and turning defense into offense.  Chase-down blocks from the weak side or on fast breaks AND blocking 3 point shots might be the NEW "blocking shots at the rim" (maybe even MORE important). 

It's ONE THING to score 130 points a night.  Even if you LOSE.  But, you CAN'T lose by TWENTY (which some team did to the Bucks.  Was that the Pistons???).  I think we get SCORING/3 point shooting disinflation fairly soon... then a repeat of 80's/late 90's style stuff (where athleticism/explosiveness matters) but with some ABA offense/NFL defense vibes.

Dereck Lively might just be the "modern backup center" for the next 15 years.  He could be in our range.  Maybe John Salley-ish with a bit more shooting range (potentially).

... watching highlights: Tyrese Proctor hasn't been that great, but he has some decent size for a point guard.  Might be a good pick for us if we are going after Playmakers-With-Size.  Outside of Amen Thompson/Anthony Black, Tyrese Proctor could be in our sights.

We probably need to shore up our bench at the trade deadline (and maybe go after a towel-waving vet, too) AND consolidate picks/move up in the draft.  

The Brat Pack needs some reinforcements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither of the Thompson twins can shoot they will probably slide on draft night. 
 

Wemby is very good but I think the Physicality of the NBA will be a surprise for him he’s still the undisputed 1st pick.

 

I like Shannon Jr but I don’t know if he has a standout skill Same for Colby Jones. I could see the Grizz drafting either of them.

I like Both Lively and aware from Oregon and it seem like one or both of them could be available the Grizz could really use a 7’0 center prospect.

I’d look at Adem Bona from UCLA as a big too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

Trayce Jackson-Davis seems to me to be a similar prospect to Brandon Clarke.  I'd spend a 2nd round pick on him.

He doesn’t shoot from the perimeter at all he has better size than Clarke but they essentially do the same things so why would you add him if you already have a player that does the same stuff not to mention Jr coming down the pipeline. They need a legit center sized big that rebounds and defends 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Neither of the Thompson twins can shoot they will probably slide on draft night. 
 

Wemby is very good but I think the Physicality of the NBA will be a surprise for him he’s still the undisputed 1st pick.

 

I like Shannon Jr but I don’t know if he has a standout skill Same for Colby Jones. I could see the Grizz drafting either of them.

I like Both Lively and aware from Oregon and it seem like one or both of them could be available the Grizz could really use a 7’0 center prospect.

I’d look at Adem Bona from UCLA as a big too

 

At least one of Lively/Ware/Bona should be available when we pick.  
 

Seems like Bona and Jaren have different games so they should be able to complement each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

At least one of Lively/Ware/Bona should be available when we pick.  
 

Seems like Bona and Jaren have different games so they should be able to complement each other.

I’m starting to Like Bona the more I look into him. The Grizz desperately need a center with his skillset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Wemby is very good but I think the Physicality of the NBA will be a surprise for him he’s still the undisputed 1st pick.

 

 

 

Wemby seems fairly fluid but not super athletic or explosive.  

He's supposed to be a mobile stretch big man but in his last game he didn't move good.  He didn't shoot good.  He's shooting 29.5% on 3's which is MEH.  ... and he has Emoni Bates' shot selection.

Not sure his defensive impact will translate in the NBA since it's mostly defending in space and in transition.

Not sure about the guy.  Still.  Amen or Scoot should probably be the top pick.  It's a Quarterback League.  Unless Hakeem 2.0 or LeBron 2.0 shows up.  And, Wemby is neither.

For us, I guess we go "BPA" which is the usual party line.  I would like to see some explosive/long guys get picked.  

Currently in a 3 game losing streak coming off a major run of winning.  And, Adams is hurt now.  The team is kind of in flux.  Can The Ja Show refocus?  If reinforcements aren't on the way at the trade deadline maybe we can get some in the draft.  If the playoffs expose any weaknesses, hopefully our '23 draft picks help shore up some of those weaknesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Wemby seems fairly fluid but not super athletic or explosive.  

He's supposed to be a mobile stretch big man but in his last game he didn't move good.  He didn't shoot good.  He's shooting 29.5% on 3's which is MEH.  ... and he has Emoni Bates' shot selection.

Not sure his defensive impact will translate in the NBA since it's mostly defending in space and in transition.

Not sure about the guy.  Still.  Amen or Scoot should probably be the top pick.  It's a Quarterback League.  Unless Hakeem 2.0 or LeBron 2.0 shows up.  And, Wemby is neither.

For us, I guess we go "BPA" which is the usual party line.  I would like to see some explosive/long guys get picked.  

Currently in a 3 game losing streak coming off a major run of winning.  And, Adams is hurt now.  The team is kind of in flux.  Can The Ja Show refocus?  If reinforcements aren't on the way at the trade deadline maybe we can get some in the draft.  If the playoffs expose any weaknesses, hopefully our '23 draft picks help shore up some of those weaknesses.

The just drafted 4 players last year and only one of them has really contributed so I wouldn’t count on rookies being contributors. I think the Grizz may have did themselves a disservice by drafting both LaRavia and Roddy cause they play the same positions they should have taken a guard and one of LaRavia or Roddy.

They are in desperate need of some offensive creation off the bench I think grooming a combo guard this year would have made more sense then having two first round combo forwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

He doesn’t shoot from the perimeter at all he has better size than Clarke but they essentially do the same things so why would you add him if you already have a player that does the same stuff not to mention Jr coming down the pipeline. They need a legit center sized big that rebounds and defends 

I don't think you are getting that in the second round.  Basically I think in the second round you are just looking for guys that are undervalued and have a legitimate shot at making it as an NBA player.  I think Trayce is undervalued and can play a similar role on an NBA team to Clarke.   Getting that in the second round is a winning move.  Looking for a particular type of player in the second round is a good way to waste your pick on a bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevofrommempho said:

I don't think you are getting that in the second round.  Basically I think in the second round you are just looking for guys that are undervalued and have a legitimate shot at making it as an NBA player.  I think Trayce is undervalued and can play a similar role on an NBA team to Clarke.   Getting that in the second round is a winning move.  Looking for a particular type of player in the second round is a good way to waste your pick on a bust.

A lot of people are saying the number one rated recruit from last year could slide cause he hasn’t been playing up to par at Duke, as well as the Oregon Center and the UCLA center. Bigs aren’t really all that coveted like they used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

A lot of people are saying the number one rated recruit from last year could slide cause he hasn’t been playing up to par at Duke, as well as the Oregon Center and the UCLA center. Bigs aren’t really all that coveted like they used to be.

Haha.  If Dereck Lively or Kel'el Ware fall to us in the second round I would be extremely excited about that!  Not going to happen though.  Possible we could get one of them with our 1st round pick but still unlikely IMO.  

Does UCLA even have a center?  Who are you referring to?

In general though that people keep pushing this narrative that big aren't valued anymore when the two time defending NBA MVP is a center and the MVP the two years before that was Giannis who is basically a center and the best players so far from last year's draft are bigs: Banchero and Kessler.  Bigs are still valued and valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevofrommempho said:

Haha.  If Dereck Lively or Kel'el Ware fall to us in the second round I would be extremely excited about that!  Not going to happen though.  Possible we could get one of them with our 1st round pick but still unlikely IMO.  

Does UCLA even have a center?  Who are you referring to?

In general though that people keep pushing this narrative that big aren't valued anymore when the two time defending NBA MVP is a center and the MVP the two years before that was Giannis who is basically a center and the best players so far from last year's draft are bigs: Banchero and Kessler.  Bigs are still valued and valuable.

Adem Bona is their center he’s a freshman I’d actually prefer him over the other two cause I want a center that does center things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

The just drafted 4 players last year and only one of them has really contributed so I wouldn’t count on rookies being contributors. I think the Grizz may have did themselves a disservice by drafting both LaRavia and Roddy cause they play the same positions they should have taken a guard and one of LaRavia or Roddy.

They are in desperate need of some offensive creation off the bench I think grooming a combo guard this year would have made more sense then having two first round combo forwards.

Yeah, that's almost fantasy sports ball draft 101.  Don't take like 3 backup Kickers or Tight Ends (or some marginal position that doesn't matter.  Basically, you don't load up on the same thing.  Then, Kenneth Lofton Jr. is another stubby combo forward/combo big.

We might even have to move one of these guys (and Vince Williams Jr.) so our upcoming first round pick can get some playing time.

Unfortunately, I think the PRICE of combo guard 6th man types, and even solid (veteran) 8th/9th men is going UP.

The Grizz FO definitely has a TYPE.  But maybe we should go after longer/more explosive players just to mix things up a bit.  And/or try to draft over DeAnthony Melton.

Seems like the trade deadline might be a dud.  Teams want multiple first round picks for JUNK.  This might also carry over into free agency (I think, yet again, college basketball free agency is going to be MUCH more exciting than NBA free agency).  I also wouldn't bet against Emoni Bates getting traded to Louisville before the Grizzlies front office makes a major move.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×