Jump to content
Grizzled Vet

The 2022 NBA Free Agents & trades

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Maybe but how are they moving Russell? Probably have to include a draft pick, so now they're sending out picks to sign Tyus when they could just sit tight with Beverly and Russell. Plus they let him walk 3 years ago

I don't know how much demand there is for Rusell. I assume any team that would pay to have Tyus play starting PG would prefer De'Angelo Rusell starting instead. You know what you get with Russell. Not so much with Tyus. I don't know if Minny can't move Russell and recoup some nice niche players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

New Orleans isn't drafting/signing a PG, they'll just give Alvardo a bigger role given how he performed in playoffs. I doubt the rockets are looking for somebody like Tyus they're in full rebuild.

Washington is a mess. Maybe they would offer but they may be about to tear it down and rebuild. Does signing Tyus make sense there?

Probably New York or Minnesota might try to pry him. Minnesota has an awful salary cap situation and can really only offer MLE. Plus they still have Beverly and Russell on the books for a combined 40 million next year.

 

New Orleans is a lot like the Grizzlies were last year: Got into the playoffs via the play-in, lost in first round, have Jonas, and they already have 14 players under contract for next year with Zion coming back healthy.  Like the Grizzlies last year, I just don't see them making a meaningful free agent move.  They are also going to be heading into a salary crunch in a couple years with Ingram, Jonas, McCollum, and Zion eventually, so I don't see them making a play for any free agents

HOWEVER, if there was a free agent to go after, it would be best to hurt a conference and division rival.

I still believe that if he's only offered the MLE, Tyus will be back in Memphis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

 

New Orleans is a lot like the Grizzlies were last year: Got into the playoffs via the play-in, lost in first round, have Jonas, and they already have 14 players under contract for next year with Zion coming back healthy.  Like the Grizzlies last year, I just don't see them making a meaningful free agent move.  They are also going to be heading into a salary crunch in a couple years with Ingram, Jonas, McCollum, and Zion eventually, so I don't see them making a play for any free agents

HOWEVER, if there was a free agent to go after, it would be best to hurt a conference and division rival.

I still believe that if he's only offered the MLE, Tyus will be back in Memphis.

Can "young/rebuilding" teams GET good before all their GOOD players get OVERPAID?

Guessing WE will find out.  Or the Luka Mavs or the Zion Pels.

Not sure how the math adds up....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2022 at 2:59 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

I am in buy -low FA mode if we go FA route

  • TJ Warren
  • Donte Inferno (shoutout @Rdk4121   )
  • Victor Oladipo
  • Jalen Smith

The hope is that these guys coming off injury would be willing to come to a young playoff team if they have a designated role. 

 

The Pacers have desirable pieces if they are looking to break down their team further. but they also have a lot of good players if they want to run it back. It will be interesting to watch.  If they aren't going to keep Jalen Smith, he'll be the top free agent (that's not a top player already).  Pieces they could conceivably be shopping around in trade, sign and trade, or just will lose in free agency if they decide to gut the roster and retain the younger players on cheap contracts:

Ricky Rubio (ufa), Jalen Smith (ufa),  T.J. Warren (ufa), Myles Turner (1 year remaining), Buddy Hield (2 years), Malcolm Brogdon (3 years)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Risky move considering they are already over the tax line.

Pretty amazing when you consider they only have 1 star in Luka and his extension is just kicking in. But when you're paying Dinwiddie and Tim Hardaway, Jr, almost  $20 mil a piece and then another almost $50 mil for Bertrans, DFS, Powell and Bullock. Things add up quickly. That's an avg of $15 mil for 6 role players. And then Brunson wants a nice payday as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Risky move considering they are already over the tax line.

I think it is risky because 6 teams have had their time with Christian Wood, and each of them has said, "We're good" when the roster decisions were made and he wasn't retained.

Maybe he'll be different next year since he's turning 27. It's only a single season remaining on his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Pretty amazing when you consider they only have 1 star in Luka and his extension is just kicking in. But when you're paying Dinwiddie and Tim Hardaway, Jr, almost  $20 mil a piece and then another almost $50 mil for Bertrans, DFS, Powell and Bullock. Things add up quickly. That's an avg of $15 mil for 6 role players. And then Brunson wants a nice payday as well.

 

Just looking at that list of high priced role players makes me appreciate Luka's season this year. I don't know what happened to the Suns, but it's amazing they go to the WCF.  I'm not sure our FO would take any of those guys (and their contract) if all they had to give up was Yves Pons and 2nd rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think it is risky because 6 teams have had their time with Christian Wood, and each of them has said, "We're good" when the roster decisions were made and he wasn't retained.

Maybe he'll be different next year since he's turning 27. It's only a single season remaining on his contract.

Yeah, but they're picking up salary, gutting their bench... they better have a plan beyond this move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, but they're picking up salary, gutting their bench... they better have a plan beyond this move.

 

I'm not sure they're gutting their bench.  I think they hit a little mini reset on it. Yes, they lost 4 bench guys in trade, but none of them were contributors in any of their competitive playoff games.  They gave up 4 guys & draft pick, to get 1 +  free agents.  I think if they want any of those guys back, they could get them on minimum deals after they are waived.  My guess is they'll pass on all except possibly Boban (if requested by his "best friend" Luka).  

Would you want the Grizzlies to sign any of these dudes on vet minimum contract: Boban, Marqueses Chriss, Trey Burke, or Sterling Brown. The open roster spot is more valuable in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we add a piece 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Hope we add a piece 

If we miss on Tyus I would like to get Delon Wright. S&T SlowMo for Bamba like many suggested looks a option too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

If we miss on Tyus I would like to get Delon Wright. S&T SlowMo for Bamba like many suggested looks a option too 

I thought Bamba didnt want to come to Memphis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I thought Bamba didnt want to come to Memphis

He didnt on draft, but so does Jaren. After the Magic failure and our sucess I bet everything is different on his camp now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not opposed to Bamba coming here. I am opposed to spending any meaningful amount of FA money to bring him here or giving up any future draft assets.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, grizzgolf said:

Hope we add a piece 

The  Grizzlies MUST SPEND MONEY  to Keep up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not opposed to Bamba coming here. I am opposed to spending any meaningful amount of FA money to bring him here or giving up any future draft assets.  

 

Have  FAITH with our Upper management 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Have  FAITH with our Upper management 

I.M Talking to myself again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Kennard makes a lot of money for what he provides, bench perimeter scoring. 

Yes.  Anytime a team is shopping a player, you should stop and ask, "Well why don't they want him anymore?"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not opposed to Bamba coming here. I am opposed to spending any meaningful amount of FA money to bring him here or giving up any future draft assets.  

 

Thats the way I feel now at this point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×