Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Burr says NBA is rigged

I think Bill Burr is rigged.

Come on, the guy is a shock comedian. What do you expect him to say? That in reality most NBA games don't qualify for clutch minutes? https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/clutch-traditional/?sort=W_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season

Exactly the same pattern of teams going for runs exists in every basketball competition outside the NBA, including amateur competitions. Surely they're all acting in concert.

He didn't mention Tim Donaghy by name but ridiculed the thought that he could have been the only one all this time.

How many blatantly missed calls have been discussed just on this one forum alone for years?

When Kimmel asks the Boston guy about the Celtics in the finals, Burr changes his tune a little.

The Celtics "fit the script" and the games are "massaged to be exciting."  😀

It would be sweet to be a homer fan in the finals.

2 hours ago, tangogriz said:

When Kimmel asks the Boston guy about the Celtics in the finals, Burr changes his tune a little.

The Celtics "fit the script" and the games are "massaged to be exciting."  😀

It would be sweet to be a homer fan in the finals.

My prediction for the Finals was "Refs in 7." 

Let's see what happens!

How many posts on this forum have said:  "Small market teams ALWAYS get screwed" - ??

(Followed by comments like "the fix is in")

The worst crooked blown call I ever saw live and up close was in an NHL playoff game.  It was so egregious that USA Today put a large picture of it in their sports section the next morning.  (And it was a small market team that got screwed vs a huge market team)

On 6/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, bhoyal said:

I know there is a different sub-forum for general NBA stuff but nobody ever looks at it, so I'll post this here.

https://uproxx.com/tv/bill-burr-thinks-the-nba-is-rigged/

🤣C'mon dude....Bill Burr? I mean, I thought it was some longtime official named Burr or something. Might as well be Burl Ives. His opinion would be just as valid (and he would sell you some Luzianne tea)

And if Burl Ives questioned the integrity of NBA and NHL officials, he would be spot on.

(I'm partial to Bill Burr since he was in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)

13 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

And if Burl Ives questioned the integrity of NBA and NHL officials, he would be spot on.

(I'm partial to Bill Burr since he was in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)

My point is simple. Burr is just a fan like all of us. He has no insight like Donaghy had. Do I think the NBA does stuff to influence outcomes? Of course but I have no evidence or  proof. Burr has the same amount of evidence and proof that I have and Burr's opinion holds just as much weight as mine.

57 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Do I think the NBA does stuff to influence outcomes? Of course.....etc etc 

You think that.  I think that.  Burr thinks that.

3 of 3.  100%  Not a single post yet to deny it.  Not one person rushing to defend the integrity of NBA (or NHL) officiating.

17 hours ago, bhoyal said:

You think that.  I think that.  Burr thinks that.

3 of 3.  100%  Not a single post yet to deny it.  Not one person rushing to defend the integrity of NBA (or NHL) officiating.

Check out the 17 foot jump shot that was called a "three" almost a minute into the clip.  By a ref standing a couple of feet away.

If Boston goes down 2-1, in game 4 all this crap starts getting called.  When the Warriors are down in a series, Draymond gets much more leeway.

When the Warriors are down in a series, Draymond will pick up an early tech, and then just get away with doing whatever for the rest of the game.

Was that the actor that played in the 60's tv series 'Ironside'?

2 hours ago, UofMark said:

Was that the actor that played in the 60's tv series 'Ironside'?

Raymond "Perry Mason" Burr?

Passed away in 1993.

Here's your NEXT rhetorical question: "Can the NHL Playoffs SAVE the NBA, AEW, and the Discovery Network aka TBS/TNT???"

On 6/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, bhoyal said:

How many posts on this forum have said:  "Small market teams ALWAYS get screwed" - ??

(Followed by comments like "the fix is in")

The worst crooked blown call I ever saw live and up close was in an NHL playoff game.  It was so egregious that USA Today put a large picture of it in their sports section the next morning.  (And it was a small market team that got screwed vs a huge market team)

I am locked out of my Chipc3 account so I am using my backup account today. 

How often during the regular season do you hear announcers say “he’s a rookie. He isn’t going to get that call.” No other sport accepts the two (or more) tiered rules system. Could you imagine the NFL fans reaction to an announcer saying “That defensive lineman is a rookie so he isn’t going to get that holding call against him?”

No one denies the game’s are officiated to make them more exciting. The question should be “Isn’t this what the fans want?”

Draymond Green got ejected for hitting Brandon Clarke in the face and then )with a different arm) pulling him to the court. Go back and listen to the post game commentary and see how many of the announcers saying that he shouldn’t have been ejected because the fans want to see the best players on the court. Just last night Stephen Curry picked up a 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter. THe rest of the quarter (and he played it all) he was pushing off defenders and slapping people knowing full well the refs weren’t going to give him a 5th foul. It’s sad but a fact of life that the league didn’t want the Warriors playing without Steph Curry because of foul trouble. 

Burr was just stating the obvious. Of course the game is officiated to make it most entertaining for fans. People pay big money to attend playoff games. The networks pay huge sums to broadcast those games. No one wants to see a blowout or the stars sitting on the bench.  

Good grief, this is some tin-foil hat stuff.

Do refs get calls wrong? Of course they do. They have to make split second calls on multiple possessions every game, they're bound to get a few wrong. 

But players make mistakes as well. Does it mean every time a player misses a shot or turns it over or doesn't get back on defence that they're betting on the game or part of some massive conspiracy?

The compilation videos above of bad calls mean nothing. You could put together a 10 min clip each of Kobe, Lebron or Bird bloopers and make them look like the worst 3 players in the history of the NBA (the flip-side of that is those draft videos that come out each season that make numerous high school or college players  look like the second coming of MJ).

Do the vets and the stars get preferential calls? Maybe they do sometimes from some refs. But more likely they're stars or respected vets partly because of the IQ part of their game. They learn the tendencies of each ref, know how to get their message to the refs and how far they can push things in certain situations, they’re skilled at selling and getting calls (along with all the other stuff they're good at).

This perceived star treatment for both players and certain teams is a thing in all sports - not just the NBA. But the bottom line is fans are always biased toward their own team and aren't going to be objective about how games are called when their own team plays. There have been Grizzlies games this season where this board has blown up with "the refs suck" comments and i wonder if I watched the same game. Sure, they got some wrong against the Grizz, but there are generally some doozies in our favour as well.

When a team in any sport has an extended run of success there's always a narrative with opposition fans that it's because they "always get the calls". The fact that the team has a once in a generation core of talent, years of experience and the IQ that allows them to manage games better than other teams year after year is conveniently overlooked.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, MisterT said:

etc...etc...etc.....

I like Burr's explanation better.  It's fun to listen to,  not some bummer lecture. 

15 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I like Burr's explanation better.  It's fun to listen to,  not some bummer lecture. 

And listening to Burr for a couple of minutes was a bummer for me.

Each to their own I guess.

My post was a response to the other comments and videos posted above as proof of some big conspiracy being at play in sports, and not a comment on Burr's interview, which I agree was supposed to be a "fun" piece, and I'm pretty sure not to be taken in the least bit seriously by anybody.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, MisterT said:

Do refs get calls wrong? Of course they do. They have to make split second calls on multiple possessions every game, they're bound to get a few wrong. 

But players make mistakes as well. Does it mean every time a player misses a shot or turns it over or doesn't get back on defence that they're betting on the game or part of some massive conspiracy?

The compilation videos above of bad calls mean nothing. You could put together a 10 min clip each of Kobe, Lebron or Bird bloopers and make them look like the worst 3 players in the history of the NBA (the flip-side of that is those draft videos that come out each season that make numerous high school or college players  look like the second coming of MJ).

Do the vets and the stars get preferential calls? Maybe they do sometimes from some refs. But more likely they're stars or respected vets partly because of the IQ part of their game. They learn the tendencies of each ref, know how to get their message to the refs and how far they can push things in certain situations, they’re skilled at selling and getting calls (along with all the other stuff they're good at).

This perceived star treatment for both players and certain teams is a thing in all sports - not just the NBA. But the bottom line is fans are always biased toward their own team and aren't going to be objective about how games are called when their own team plays. There have been Grizzlies games this season where this board has blown up with "the refs suck" comments and i wonder if I watched the same game. Sure, they got some wrong against the Grizz, but there are generally some doozies in our favour as well.

When a team in any sport has an extended run of success there's always a narrative with opposition fans that it's because they "always get the calls". The fact that the team has a once in a generation core of talent, years of experience and the IQ that allows them to manage games better than other teams year after year is conveniently overlooked.

"Tin foil hat" 😉

Watch the swinging pendulum.

You are getting sleepy.

Repeat after me.

MONEY IS NOT A MOTIVE!

Repeat after me.

MONEY IS NOT A MOTIVE!

portrait-of-a-goat-in-glasses-showing-to