Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Burr says NBA is rigged

On 6/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, MisterT said:

Good grief, this is some tin-foil hat stuff.

Do refs get calls wrong? Of course they do. They have to make split second calls on multiple possessions every game, they're bound to get a few wrong. 

But players make mistakes as well. Does it mean every time a player misses a shot or turns it over or doesn't get back on defence that they're betting on the game or part of some massive conspiracy?

The compilation videos above of bad calls mean nothing. You could put together a 10 min clip each of Kobe, Lebron or Bird bloopers and make them look like the worst 3 players in the history of the NBA (the flip-side of that is those draft videos that come out each season that make numerous high school or college players  look like the second coming of MJ).

Do the vets and the stars get preferential calls? Maybe they do sometimes from some refs. But more likely they're stars or respected vets partly because of the IQ part of their game. They learn the tendencies of each ref, know how to get their message to the refs and how far they can push things in certain situations, they’re skilled at selling and getting calls (along with all the other stuff they're good at).

This perceived star treatment for both players and certain teams is a thing in all sports - not just the NBA. But the bottom line is fans are always biased toward their own team and aren't going to be objective about how games are called when their own team plays. There have been Grizzlies games this season where this board has blown up with "the refs suck" comments and i wonder if I watched the same game. Sure, they got some wrong against the Grizz, but there are generally some doozies in our favour as well.

When a team in any sport has an extended run of success there's always a narrative with opposition fans that it's because they "always get the calls". The fact that the team has a once in a generation core of talent, years of experience and the IQ that allows them to manage games better than other teams year after year is conveniently overlooked.

We have a few whack-a-doodle conspiracy theorists on the board. And they will never be convinced otherwise, despite the nuttiness of their theories. It is what it is. 

In the ‘19 Ja draft, they were 100% sure that the Knicks and Lakers would win the lottery and pick 1st and 2nd. Because NBA loves the big markets and “wouldn’t let” small markets get Zion and Ja. Being 100% wrong caused them no pause, it was on to the next conspiracy. 

For those of you old enough to remember pastel color TP,  you know... so it would match the drapes or at least be the color your favorite sports team wears  (UNC blue comes to mind)... then all of a sudden somebody (with no proof to back it up that I recall hearing about) decides it was bad for your skin or something... and all of a sudden one day you go into Kroger and there is no more color TP.

We're talking about what you use to wipe the bunghole.  What comes out of the bunghole?  Bung.  And that ain't a rose garden.

I say bring back color TP.  

e19ed420ea1d14773858d8910248a54f.jpg

After all, that was around the same time Michael Jackson set his hair on fire singing about Pepsi and they didn't ban disco dancing, or flammable jheri curls, or cold drinks.  Or disco dancing while singing about soft drinks.  Or "soda" for the non-Southerners.

5e0256b9674845249a124593eba35f8d.png

13 hours ago, The J Crew said:

We have a few whack-a-doodle conspiracy theorists on the board. And they will never be convinced otherwise, despite the nuttiness of their theories. It is what it is. 

In the ‘19 Ja draft, they were 100% sure that the Knicks and Lakers would win the lottery and pick 1st and 2nd. Because NBA loves the big markets and “wouldn’t let” small markets get Zion and Ja. Being 100% wrong caused them no pause, it was on to the next conspiracy. 

Its ironic how you sheep like to talk about tin foil hats and whack-a-doodles.

My guess is that, among fans, you folks who believe that showbiz and profit do not effect refs' calls are the weirdos.

8 hours ago, tangogriz said:

My guess is that, among fans, you folks who believe that showbiz and profit do not effect refs' calls are the weirdos.

You’re definitely one of the whack-a-doodles. 

My question for the earth is flat types is this. If you really think the NBA game is fixed, then why would you even waste your time by watching?  

4 hours ago, The J Crew said:

You’re definitely one of the whack-a-doodles. 

My question for the earth is flat types is this. If you really think the NBA game is fixed, then why would you even waste your time by watching?  

The on-topic question is why are you using extreme strawman arguments like this one and the irrelevant lottery rigging issue.

Did you even watch the Burr clip?

His first statement, "the NBA is sort of low-key rigged" and then he talks showbiz and money.

Can you explain ref tolerance of in-their-face Draymond behavior?

Maybe you're media or profit from the games, if not, keep dreaming and calling names.

4 hours ago, tangogriz said:

The on-topic question is why are you using extreme strawman arguments like this one and the irrelevant lottery rigging issue.

His first statement, "the NBA is sort of low-key rigged" and then he talks showbiz and money.

Maybe you're media or profit from the games, if not, keep dreaming and calling names.

Ok. Whack-a-do, whack-a-do, whack-a-do do do. 

18 hours ago, tangogriz said:

Sorry about the tin-foil hat comment. Is was supposed to be lighthearted but can see it might have offended some people on here.

It could also be seen as "sheep" like to just believe your side of the argument and go along with the theories that the whole league is rigged somehow without any real empirical evidence. 

I agree it's showbiz, and i think this does affect some decisions, particularly around suspensions when the playoffs are on, but this happens in alot of sports. Does this mean it's "low-key rigged"? That's a pretty loose term, but i guess you could say it does. 

I just think the average fan can't help but be biased about refs and decisions on and off the court against their team, and get understandably envious of teams and players that have sustained success when their team is stuck in mediocrity. I think the reality is the players and maybe coaching staff they're so invested in as fans just aren't good enough. And that's usually the fault of the FO for making bad decisions (although obviously it's an extra challenge for small market teams to pay and attract top players - that showbiz thing again).

If you think the world is rigged against a middling or stuggling NBA team, try being a supporter of a team in a league like the EPL, where there's no salary cap, no draft, and you have the threat of relegation hanging over your head if you're at he wrong end of the standings at the end of the season.

I think the NBA, and the other leagues in the USA, do a good job of trying to keep the playing field even with the draft system, salary caps etc. But the reality is from time to time you'll get a team where they have a good FO who make great recruiting decisions, build a good culture, get lucky (yes, that plays a big part) and they end up with a core of talented players who go on a sustained run of success (which really annoys fans of other teams).

That might be the Grizz over the next few years :)

5 hours ago, tangogriz said:

And yes, I also wonder how Draymond gets away with what he does sometimes when other players get t'ed up the first time they open their mouths, but maybe it comes back to the point i made in an earlier post about experienced players knowing just how far they can push it and what they can say to certain refs.