grizzgolf

Offseason Moves and Plans

6 hours ago, King Dork said:

Those would definitely be the 2 I target in the draft. 

What does everyone think about going after TJ Warren? 

Jovic can’t defend either of the positions he plays he has high bust potential 

Seems like some folks want to make a lot of changes.  We had the second best record in the league, despite having some key players with injury issues.  We were eliminated from the playoffs in a pretty close series by a more experienced recent NBA Champion who themselves just regained  health.  Why get hung up on changes?  Let's get hung up on health and development, and run it back!

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Nice, but rarer than a Kyle Anderson three-pointer.  What does he  regularly give you?

Tillie has only started 4 games in 2 years.  

Apparently the NBA executive of the year saw something in his limited sample size that made him worth a relatively inexpensive "moneyball" addition to the roster for the next while without expecting him to be KD or LeBron.   1.9 million per season for the next few seasons is pocket change for an NBA team.  He also got Konchar for four additional at a tad over 2million per.  Does that mean anybody expects Konchar to be Jimmy Butler or Brad Beal?  No, but he's doesn't carry a Butler or Beal price tag.

This is how pro sports works.  You sink the big $$$$ into players like Ja and get Tillie and Konchar etc for reasonable money and thus know what they can do per dollar.  Then you cut the dead weight (Culver) if you can.

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Tillie has only started 4 games in 2 years.  

Apparently the NBA executive of the year saw something in his limited sample size that made him worth a relatively inexpensive "moneyball" addition to the roster for the next while without expecting him to be KD or LeBron.   1.9 million per season for the next few seasons is pocket change for an NBA team.  He also got Konchar for four additional at a tad over 2million per.  Does that mean anybody expects Konchar to be Jimmy Butler or Brad Beal?  No, but he's doesn't carry a Butler or Beal price tag.

This is how pro sports works.  You sink the big $$$$ into players like Ja and get Tillie and Konchar etc for reasonable money and thus know what they can do per dollar.  Then you cut the dead weight (Culver) if you can.

Culver is off the books right?

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Seems like some folks want to make a lot of changes.  We had the second best record in the league, despite having some key players with injury issues.  We were eliminated from the playoffs in a pretty close series by a more experienced recent NBA Champion who themselves just regained  health.  Why get hung up on changes?  Let's get hung up on health and development, and run it back!

Agreed I don’t see the need for a big move but alot hinges on ZW development DB’s growth in shot selection and whether or not Tyus is back. The FO does have two first so it’s safe to assume there will be two new rookies likely taking Kyle’s spot. I can see fringe guys like Tillman and Tilled possibly being replaced too.

Resign Tyus Jones.(10mil at the most )

Extend JA and Clarke.

Let go of Kyle and replace him with Santi or Tillie.

Look into the Center position and Adams expiring contract.

In the Draft try to go up or just keep drafting more Clarke's or Bane's late in the round.

BIG MOVES 

I just Don't see it unless Dillon expiring becomes an issue.

14 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

If you could just get Dillon to accept he should only shoot 3s and at the rim he'd be very good wing player. We don't need him to score 18 on 18 shots, need him to score 13 on 9 shots.

I care more about his shooting %.  If he's 9-18 from 2 for 18 points, I'm fine with that.  If he's 6-18 from behind the arch (33%), that would be better than he shot this year (30.9%), but I'd like to see him back up to to the 35-37% range.  But if he's 5-18 with 18 points and 6 FT's, that is terrible.  

1 minute ago, costarica2 said:

Resign Tyus Jones.(10mil at the most )

Extend JA and Clarke.

Let go of Kyle and replace him with Santi or Tillie.

Look into the Center position and Adams expiring contract.

In the Draft try to go up or just keep drafting more Clarke's or Bane's late in the round.

BIG MOVES 

I just Don't see it unless Dillon expiring becomes an issue.

Really?  Kyle does everything better than those two.  KA tied with Jaren for team best defensive rating at 106.  He's a better rebounder, defender, playmaker, even 3-point shooter  than both of those guys and is a far, far more savvy basketball player.  What are they going to replace?

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would venture to say that Kyle may be equally or even more important off the bench than Tyus.  Kyle can give us more of what Tyus brings than Tyus can give us of what Kyle brings.  Kyle can guard more positions than Tyus, and can also handle the ball and run the offense.  Yes, Tyus is more efficient at running the offense as he has been the best in the league for four seasons in assist-to-turnover ratio, setting the league all-time high mark this season.  Kyle can play more positions and is more able to be plugged in the lineup at any time.  Tyus only can play one position.  Truthfully, I would like to see the FO find a way to keep both.

Tyus is now quoted in the media as saying he wants to be a starter, so ttfwiw.

If we can get him to stay its going to take more than 10mil imo. I'd offer 60mil over 4 years as heavily front loaded as allowed with a player option on the 4th year. And I'd let Anderson walk.

11 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I remember similar comments being made about Luka Doncic before his draft. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The difference is that those comments were made by people who hadn't watched a minute of Euro basketball in their entire life, let alone Doncic. Or Jovic.

Also, Doncic had played three pro seasons prior to the draft, winning several titles with arguably the best non NBA team. Jovic has played all of four games for Mega Basket, home of Rade Zagorac.

I see him as a high ceiling, high risk prospect.

10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The difference is that those comments were made by people who hadn't watched a minute of Euro basketball in their entire life, let alone Doncic. Or Jovic.

Also, Doncic had played three pro seasons prior to the draft, winning several titles with arguably the best non NBA team. Jovic has played all of four games for Mega Basket, home of Rade Zagorac.

I see him as a high ceiling, high risk prospect.

I doubt he will be on the board when Memphis picks anyway. 

11 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I was watching a mock draft on YouTube and the amateur draftnik basically said the same thing.  He is ALSO a streaky shooter so his draft stock seems to be PRICED FOR PERFECTION at the moment.

Dean On Draft Dot Com did a nice write up on some of the top imports.  He thinks that NBA teams tend to "chase" international guys in the draft too much.  That, on average, college dudes offer tons of value in comparison to the draft/stash types.  That Giannis is a HUGE outlier.  He's not a fan of this years class of Euros/Overseas prospects.  Not even sure he likes ANY of them in the first round.  Dean/On/Draft thought that Ousmane Dieng is a 3 and D prospect who CAN'T shoot and CAN'T defend (all that well).  The imports look more like "2nd round flyers" this year -- and maybe you really DO want to stash them overseas.

In my opinion, Jovic might be a value play on Banchero -- but even that might not be worth all that much.  The KEY here might be to find the JOVIC value play.  USC's Drew Peterson?  Maybe another Trojan by the name of Isaiah Mobley.

36 minutes ago, KyleB said:

If we can get him to stay its going to take more than 10mil imo. I'd offer 60mil over 4 years as heavily front loaded as allowed with a player option on the 4th year. And I'd let Anderson walk.

Ah. Can't argue with him.  

IF Tyus goes then maybe we should "low ball" Kyle.  Tyus/Kyle were two of our key bench pieces with Tyus being the Tom Brandy of basketball (emergency fill-in for a star QB who accidentally went on a historic run as the main guy).  Maybe we can draft a NEW secondary hub to replace Kyle.  OR sign one.

If Tyus leaves then I think Ricky Rubio would be a good option as a Side Piece QB. Potentially a BETTER fit in Dual QB/super small ball back courts with Ja.  Also gives added optionality for potential "death lineups" like Rubio/Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren or Rubio/Ja/Bane/Clarke/Jaren or Rubio/Ja/Bane/ZW/Clarke.

Then I would go after Mitch Rob.  We could then sit Ja/Jaren and organize our lineups around the Rubio/Mitch Rob two-man game (along with shooters like Bane/ZW and Dillon/replacement level Dillon Brooks).  

We could have a twin QB/twin towers DEATH LINEUP featuring Rubio/Ja/Bane/Jaren/Mitch Rob.  Not a ton of shooting but Mitch Rob would actually open up the floor as a VERTICAL spacer.  Essentially giving Bane/Jaren more air space to launch their scud missile attacks.  Teams would have to stay home on Mitch Rob which would also free up Ja/Rubio for their floater games.

Develop ZW/Clarke more.  Replacement level 6th man 1 and 6th man 1a.  Shop Dillon on draft night but basically go BPA for ALL THREE PICKS specifically eyeing stretch wings and flex combo forwards.  Outside of Koloko/Ibou Badji/Kai Sotto I would target Isaiah Mobley as a potential big man/secondary hub to replace Slo Mo (and Killian Tillie).  Isaiah Mobley would also give us Santi Aldama insurance.  Although Aldama/Mobley MIGHT be able to coexist.  

39 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I doubt he will be on the board when Memphis picks anyway. 

You never know when Kleiman and multiple picks are involved.

But yeah.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I guess we are all watching the same Jovic highlights.

Is Chris Mullin a solid comp?  I mean that would basically be his HIGH END UPSIDE but that would still be worth drafting.  Mullin was a comp for Doncic that I had at the time.  

If Jovic even gets "BROKE DONCIC" comps that's well worth a lottery pick.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really?  Kyle does everything better than those two.  KA tied with Jaren for team best defensive rating at 106.  He's a better rebounder, defender, playmaker, even 3-point shooter  than both of those guys and is a far, far more savvy basketball player.  What are they going to replace?

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would venture to say that Kyle may be equally or even more important off the bench than Tyus.  Kyle can give us more of what Tyus brings than Tyus can give us of what Kyle brings.  Kyle can guard more positions than Tyus, and can also handle the ball and run the offense.  Yes, Tyus is more efficient at running the offense as he has been the best in the league for four seasons in assist-to-turnover ratio, setting the league all-time high mark this season.  Kyle can play more positions and is more able to be plugged in the lineup at any time.  Tyus only can play one position.  Truthfully, I would like to see the FO find a way to keep both.

kyle reminds me of the old blues song....you don't miss your water until yo well run dry.

the kid can play 1-5 in a pinch. not many players can say the same.

slim.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

While I certainly see what you are saying, but if I could only bring one of them back, I'm bringing Tyus back. While I'm not sold on Tillie or Santi (Santi is not even a PF in my mind), I think we can find a combo forward in the draft that can replace most of what Kyle gave us, with a higher ceiling in theory. Kyle will just never be able to consistently make 3s with his chronic shoulder issues. While he's a good passer, both Melton and Adams are every bit as good (all 3 have incredibly similar assist % and per 36 numbers). 

I'd like someone that can help actually stretch the floor a little bit for both Ja and Jaren. Jaren really only ever gets to play with BC and Adams, both of which can't really operate if they aren't in the pick and roll on offense (Adams does have the facilitating from the free throw line, but that doesn't really stretch the floor). Leaves less driving lanes for Jaren, or easier help opportunities. 

I can envision Tillie making a jump, particularly as a 3 point shooter. Maybe his back issue is behind him now after surgery. If he improves there, he was at least serviceable on defense. He would be a great 11th-12th man like Konchar. Still would like to find someone like Cam Johnson, maybe Jerami Grant type in the draft. 

Could we use Kyle/Tyus in a MASSIVE sign and trade for DeAndre Ayton?

Or, can we only do a sign and trade for just one player?

Jaren/Ayton could be CHEAT CODE on BOTH ends of the court.  ... and having at least one of those bigs on the court at all time would be a nice luxury to have.

12 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

While I certainly see what you are saying, but if I could only bring one of them back, I'm bringing Tyus back. While I'm not sold on Tillie or Santi (Santi is not even a PF in my mind), I think we can find a combo forward in the draft that can replace most of what Kyle gave us, with a higher ceiling in theory. Kyle will just never be able to consistently make 3s with his chronic shoulder issues. While he's a good passer, both Melton and Adams are every bit as good (all 3 have incredibly similar assist % and per 36 numbers). 

I'd like someone that can help actually stretch the floor a little bit for both Ja and Jaren. Jaren really only ever gets to play with BC and Adams, both of which can't really operate if they aren't in the pick and roll on offense (Adams does have the facilitating from the free throw line, but that doesn't really stretch the floor). Leaves less driving lanes for Jaren, or easier help opportunities. 

I can envision Tillie making a jump, particularly as a 3 point shooter. Maybe his back issue is behind him now after surgery. If he improves there, he was at least serviceable on defense. He would be a great 11th-12th man like Konchar. Still would like to find someone like Cam Johnson, maybe Jerami Grant type in the draft. 

I like to view it as we have had 4 big rotation but only one of them was an offensive weapon past 20ft.   If BC and Adams are in the immediate plans then its imperative to have another Big that can stretch the floor.  Tillie has the summer to audition for the part but i'd prefer it be a 4/5 Stretch Big which is why Santi is intriguing as a solution.    

I like Kyle but you can't resign him and solve the Big rotation issue.  It will just mean more BC+Kyle minutes just like resigning Tyus will mean more Ja+Tyus minutes.   Its time to move on from both of them and replace them with more versatile players.  

Here are our last Free Agent signings (that didn't come from a 2way)

Tyus (RFA)

Kyle (RFA)

So if we grab a FA don't be surprised if he is a RFA.  

20 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

If you could just get Dillon to accept he should only shoot 3s and at the rim he'd be very good wing player. We don't need him to score 18 on 18 shots, need him to score 13 on 9 shots.

This is on coach going forward as well as his teammates. They all have to get him in check just like he does for them on the defensive end. Other guys need to step up and take some shots from him. Dillon is a great player and he gives us the Pat Bev/Tony Allen/Draymond factor that is not easy to replace. 

So we are all in agreement on Kennedy Chandler as one of our picks then?

4 hours ago, KyleB said:

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you see that?

Also - I mentioned this during the season - it only takes one team *cough* Knicks *cough*.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I guess we are all watching the same Jovic highlights.

Is Chris Mullin a solid comp?  I mean that would basically be his HIGH END UPSIDE but that would still be worth drafting.  Mullin was a comp for Doncic that I had at the time.  

If Jovic even gets "BROKE DONCIC" comps that's well worth a lottery pick.

Do you like David Roddy as a safer bet than Jovic?

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I like to view it as we have had 4 big rotation but only one of them was an offensive weapon past 20ft.   If BC and Adams are in the immediate plans then its imperative to have another Big that can stretch the floor.  Tillie has the summer to audition for the part but i'd prefer it be a 4/5 Stretch Big which is why Santi is intriguing as a solution.    

I like Kyle but you can't resign him and solve the Big rotation issue.  It will just mean more BC+Kyle minutes just like resigning Tyus will mean more Ja+Tyus minutes.   Its time to move on from both of them and replace them with more versatile players.  

Here are our last Free Agent signings (that didn't come from a 2way)

Tyus (RFA)

Kyle (RFA)

So if we grab a FA don't be surprised if he is a RFA.  

That's a fair point.

Now in looking at RFA for PGs and PFs, here are the main options:

PGs: Collin Sexton, Facundo Campazzo, Aaron Holiday, and Donte DiVincenzo

PFs: Marvin Bagley, Bruno Fernando, Nicolas Claxton, Eric Paschall, Jordan Nwora, Nathan Knight, Tyler Cook

Holiday would be an interesting pickup, as he had a pretty good year in Pheonix when he actually played. Donte had a rough year, but he was working his way but from a nasty injury. When healthy, he has been a good player. 

Of those PFs, only 2 of them are competent 3 point shooters in Paschall and Nwora. Paschall seems to be allergic to rebounding though, and Nwora is just a shot jacker. Bagley would be a very interesting pickup, but I'm thinking Detroit is going to do everything they can to keep him. Not on that list, but Jalen Smith would be another potentially great signing, and he's unrestricted (plus the Pacers can only offer him like 5 million). I would absolutely go after Smith personally.