grizzgolf

Offseason Moves and Plans

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Not change stories. Analysis and stories never changed. Just  the top 100 rankings by a few spots. And in 2015, the answer was yes. 

Chad Ford was the top draft analyst for about 20 years. King of odd that all of the sudden in 2013 he would start changes final rankings post draft. And does it really matter that much if Gorgui Dieng went from 24th to 20th, which was one of the great crimes committed, anyway? 

if he was changing the way he ranked players in former drafts to appear to be doing a better job than he actually was doing, then yes it matters. 

If someone else broke into his stories and made the corrections for him that is also a problem since people shouldn't have that kind of access. 

Journalism only exists as long as it is reputable. When a journalist's integrity is called into question, everything he writes is questioned. It breaks down the central core of journalistic integrity which is to tell the truth, regardless of how people view you for saying the truth. I don't have a big problem with Chad being as wrong as any other commentator but I have a big issue with changing the rankings to make yourself look better.

If you read the article you will see he was accused of making numerous changes between 2008 and 2013. 

Here's an example of the changes made to Ford's rankings: a cached version of Ford's 2013 rankings from July 2013 shows Giannis Antetokounmpo ranked No. 17 in the class. As of Saturday, the living version of Ford's 2013 rankings had Antetokounmpo at No. 9. It appears that Ford is revising his own rankings after the fact to make them look better.

Other players to move up in the six years sharpinator looked at: Rudy Gobert, Gorgui Dieng, Michael Carter-Williams, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Nikola Vucevic, Paul George, Greg Monroe, Eric Bledsoe, James Harden and others. Some of the players who moved down in Ford's revised rankings: Jonny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet, Luke Babbitt, Xavier Henry, Jimmer Fredette, Austin Rivers (moved down 12 spots), Sergey Karasev and Shane Larkin.

As you can see this is more than simply moving Dieng a few spots. ESPN released this statement:

After reviewing the post on Reddit today, we have found that changes were made manually to Chad Ford's NBA Draft prospects rankings. We have not been able to determine who made the changes, or when. We have talked to Chad Ford, who strongly denies any involvement, and based on his past work and professionalism, we believe him. Our review will continue but it is unclear at this time if we will be able to ascertain who was responsible.

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle ends up in Cleveland.  Rumor is he is on their list to replace Rubio. 

Bottomline is we can't keep everyone and address our weaknesses.  The only way to open up rotation minutes is to move someone, who was in the rotation.    

I don't see a swingman available that can be Dillon's replacement unless OG is really an option.  Otherwise, i think we should draft his replacement (Eason) or develop ZW to be it in a year when his deal expires.    

However, i do see some vets that can upgrade our scoring that can take Kyle, Melt or Tyus spot in rotation.  Oladipo, TJWarren or even DiVencenzo possibly can all be had for MLE.   

As for Bigs if we don't draft one i can see Jalen Smith being a good match with Jaren.  

I don't understand people's fascination with Anunoby. I remember a couple of weeks ago people were saying let's give up 2 first rounds picks and Dillon to get him. Why? It's basically a lateral move. Not only that, the reason Anunoby may be available is because the Raps have more faith in Scottie Barnes, a rookie, doing a better job and being a better fit than Anunoby. Why would we want a player that is being displaced by a rookie and why would we give up a starter who gives you similar production AND 2 first round draft picks for a player like that? Sure he's more athletic than Dillon and shoots a slightly higher 3pt% but it just seems like making a move to make a move. He may be a SLIGHTLY better fit but no way I include a draft pick. Also, it sounds like the Raps want a haul in return including a starting C. We don't have the assets.

7 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't understand people's fascination with Anunoby. I remember a couple of weeks ago people were saying let's give up 2 first rounds picks and Dillon to get him. Why? It's basically a lateral move. Not only that, the reason Anunoby may be available is because the Raps have more faith in Scottie Barnes, a rookie, doing a better job and being a better fit than Anunoby. Why would we want a player that is being displaced by a rookie and why would we give up a starter who gives you similar production AND 2 first round draft picks for a player like that? Sure he's more athletic than Dillon and shoots a slightly higher 3pt% but it just seems like making a move to make a move. He may be a SLIGHTLY better fit but no way I include a draft pick. Also, it sounds like the Raps want a haul in return including a starting C. We don't have the assets.

I don't think anybody realistically thinks he's worth 2 firsts and Dillon. He's worth our 2 firsts in this draft, or one of our firsts this year and one of our protected firsts down the line. Scottie Barnes is a future all-star probably and maybe franchise player. OG is a starting level wing. I suppose their logic is same as trading Grayson to make way for Bane.

Agree if we give up Dillon to get Anunoby it's just a slight upgrade. We should try to keep Dillon and add Anunoby and use some of our draft capital to do so.

We dont have what the raptor would want for Anunoby even though he would be an awesome fit 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/memphis-grizzlies

Here are a few more updates from Stein and Pincus on some of this year’s top free agents and trade candidates:

• According to Pincus, some sources believe that the Spurs (Jakob Poeltl), Bulls (Nikola Vucevic), Hawks (Clint Capela/John Collins), and Pacers (Myles Turner) are among the teams that could be willing to move their current centers in a package for one of the offseason’s top available big men (Ayton, Rudy Gobert, etc.). Grizzlies center Steven Adams also may be a summer trade candidate, though he’s well-liked in the locker room, says Pincus.

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Here are a few more updates from Stein and Pincus on some of this year’s top free agents and trade candidates:

• According to Pincus, some sources believe that the Spurs (Jakob Poeltl), Bulls (Nikola Vucevic), Hawks (Clint Capela/John Collins), and Pacers (Myles Turner) are among the teams that could be willing to move their current centers in a package for one of the offseason’s top available big men (Ayton, Rudy Gobert, etc.). Grizzlies center Steven Adams also may be a summer trade candidate, though he’s well-liked in the locker room, says Pincus.

As I said before, I wouldn't want him to be traded but Adams is the most likely to be traded. He will be making the second most on the team next season and is in the last year of his contract not to mention he is a serviceable C which a championship contender could use and a rebuilding team could use.

My preference would be to move up in the draft and get a big man and let Adams stick around to mentor him, at least until the trade deadline but hopefully all of next season and just let his salary fall off of the books after next season. That probably won't happen though.

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

As I said before, I wouldn't want him to be traded but Adams is the most likely to be traded. He will be making the second most on the team next season and is in the last year of his contract not to mention he is a serviceable C which a championship contender could use and a rebuilding team could use.

My preference would be to move up in the draft and get a big man and let Adams stick around to mentor him, at least until the trade deadline but hopefully all of next season and just let his salary fall off of the books after next season. That probably won't happen though.

I agree that Adams is a serious candidate to be traded based on the FO's prior actions (which may not necessarily dictate their actions this offseason), but if he is traded the FO will absolutely have to address the loss of rebounding and screening for Ja. Everybody saw what happend when Adams was not available: we got dominated on the boards and Ja had no space to operate without being pounded down. If Adams is gone and we don't fill those needs we're handing the template for other teams to beat us on a platter.

6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I agree that Adams is a serious candidate to be traded based on the FO's prior actions (which may not necessarily dictate their actions this offseason), but if he is traded the FO will absolutely have to address the loss of rebounding and screening for Ja. Everybody saw what happend when Adams was not available: we got dominated on the boards and Ja had no space to operate without being pounded down. If Adams is gone and we don't fill those needs we're handing the template for other teams to beat us on a platter.

Yes, he does provide some intangibles that makes the team better.

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yea if only way to move up is to take on overpaid vet salary then Adams has to be included.   Charlotte seems like most logical candidate for an Adams trade.  Adams + Melton + 29 for Hayward +15 is feasible but i wouldn't be excited about that.   Hayward is too old and injury prone to take up that much of the cap.  Plus we would be losing TWO rotation players.   Maybe if Duren is falling you make that move otherwise i'd rather keep Adams.  

Toronto also wants a Center so an Adams + #29 + 2024 pick for OG is something i would entertain.    But  im not doing that to bring OG off the bench and i don't see Dillon willingly going to the bench.  

Truth is i think Adams is extremely important to our regular season success.   His screens free up Ja and bane for easier buckers and his interior passing is crucial to our halfcourt offense.  His rebounding and size is perfect pairing with Jaren and allows us to matchup with almost every team.    Personally, i don't see a move out there that improves our starting 5 enough to be worth the risk.   

Dillon and Adams are prime trade candidates due to their expiring contracts and tradability but we ARE really really good with them too.  Problem is we are most likely not going to be able to resign Dillon once his deal expires - so it does make sense to get something for him while we can.   

If we can trade to get Mark Williams or Jalen Duren then I would be cool with a trade involving Adams. 

I see Nurkic as a guy that can do a lot of the Adams stuff - prob not the passing - for way less money. If we need to get that type of player in here. Nurkic wouldn't start but could be a situational player and part of the 10 man rotation. 

Then you have something like:

Morant/Bane/Brooks/JJJ/M Williams

Jones/Melton/Z/Clarke/Nurkic

Not saying I love it, but I could see some value in going that direction. 

4 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

If we can trade to get Mark Williams or Jalen Duren then I would be cool with a trade involving Adams. 

I see Nurkic as a guy that can do a lot of the Adams stuff - prob not the passing - for way less money. If we need to get that type of player in here. Nurkic wouldn't start but could be a situational player and part of the 10 man rotation. 

Then you have something like:

Morant/Bane/Brooks/JJJ/M Williams

Jones/Melton/Z/Clarke/Nurkic

Not saying I love it, but I could see some value in going that direction. 

I think Adams will be available for a lot less money when he's a free agent.

The only FA centers that now get more than $11 mm/year or so are either much younger or can shoot the 3, or both (or doing contract extensions and really aren't free agents).

I'm not saying that Adams has to be retained, but there is great value in having a center like Adams that can protect guys like Ja and Jaren and can play a different style.

Any deals done now have to be for someone who clearly makes this team better

On 6/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Man I would love Turner on this team. They are going to want WAY to much for him though 

21 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Better now or better in 2-3 years?

This might be one of our last best shots at moving up for a lottery pick to grow with this group. Then again I guess you can say that most seasons. 

Some guys will have to be resigned - Ja will be at the MAX and probably super MAX eventually.

Bane will get a pretty good chunk of money too.

I like Steven Adams though and have no problem with him being around either! Just depends on what the FO has as a vision for this team. 

These guys really like Tyus.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, Grizzled Vet said:

I think Adams will be available for a lot less money when he's a free agent.

The only FA centers that now get more than $11 mm/year or so are either much younger or can shoot the 3, or both (or doing contract extensions and really aren't free agents).

I'm not saying that Adams has to be retained, but there is great value in having a center like Adams that can protect guys like Ja and Jaren and can play a different style.

He's the type of low maintenance, no ego player you could see being OK taking a pay cut to stay on a good team with a culture he obviously enjoys. To paraphrase from the man himself.... "I just want to win games mate"

21 hours ago, MisterT said:

He's the type of low maintenance, no ego player you could see being OK taking a pay cut to stay on a good team with a culture he obviously enjoys. To paraphrase from the man himself.... "I just want to win games mate"

I dont mind him staying unless we find a really nice upgrade 

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I dont mind him staying unless we find a really nice upgrade 

Of course. Agree 100% that If you can get a good upgrade you make that move, and the Grizz are in a great spot with the picks and salary flexibility they have.

I'm realistic about Adams being in trade discussions because of his contract, but i think he's massively undervalused by many (most?) on here because the things he does at an elite level aren't always easy to see, don't show on a box score, but are essential to winning games.

I just haven't seen any player mentioned yet as a realistic trade that i think would move the needle much, if at all, over Adams. Most are just flat-out worse. 

7 hours ago, MisterT said:

Of course. Agree 100% that If you can get a good upgrade you make that move, and the Grizz are in a great spot with the picks and salary flexibility they have.

I'm realistic about Adams being in trade discussions because of his contract, but i think he's massively undervalused by many (most?) on here because the things he does at an elite level aren't always easy to see, don't show on a box score, but are essential to winning games.

I just haven't seen any player mentioned yet as a realistic trade that i think would move the needle much, if at all, over Adams. Most are just flat-out worse. 

What trades have you seen? I like the rumors! 

I'm certainly against trading Adams. He's a perfect fit for this team. There's no reason to believe that 1. We can't re-sign him on a reasonable deal if we want to or 2. That he wouldn't be willing to move to the bench in order to start Jaren at the 5 with BC at the 4. 

Adams is durable and a net positive. Moving him to a "championship contender" doesn't make any sense, as we are a championship contender. He's certainly useful for us as is. At the same time if a big move were to happen, he would probably be included just because of his contract. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm certainly against trading Adams. He's a perfect fit for this team. There's no reason to believe that 1. We can't re-sign him on a reasonable deal if we want to or 2. That he wouldn't be willing to move to the bench in order to start Jaren at the 5 with BC at the 4. 

Adams is durable and a net positive. Moving him to a "championship contender" doesn't make any sense, as we are a championship contender. He's certainly useful for us as is. At the same time if a big move were to happen, he would probably be included just because of his contract. 

CoSign.   Ultimately Jaren and Adams will hold down 5 spot.    We need to figure out who will be the starting PF.    I used to want it to be BC but his weird injuries has scared me from that.    Keep him as energy big off the bench.    

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

CoSign.   Ultimately Jaren and Adams will hold down 5 spot.    We need to figure out who will be the starting PF.    I used to want it to be BC but his weird injuries has scared me from that.    Keep him as energy big off the bench.    

Any FA PF that would fit with us?

11 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm certainly against trading Adams. He's a perfect fit for this team. There's no reason to believe that 1. We can't re-sign him on a reasonable deal if we want to or 2. That he wouldn't be willing to move to the bench in  order to start Jaren at the 5 with BC at the 4. 

All good here, but I don't see that we need to move him to the bench to start Jaren.  Jaren is already starting.  What Adams gives us is control of the paint.  We would need a PF that is both complementary to JJJ and can provide the same level of control.  I love me some Brandon Clarke, but he does not give us the same level of control that Steven does, and I feel he is best as a spark off the bench.  Just keep starting Steven as long as it works.

52 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

All good here, but I don't see that we need to move him to the bench to start Jaren.  Jaren is already starting.  What Adams gives us is control of the paint.  We would need a PF that is both complementary to JJJ and can provide the same level of control.  I love me some Brandon Clarke, but he does not give us the same level of control that Steven does, and I feel he is best as a spark off the bench.  Just keep starting Steven as long as it works.

It might not necessarily be this year, but it'll happen at some point. It also might not be Brandon who starts next to him either. But after this year Adams is a FA, and Brandon is due for an extension. I think once that happens, it just makes sense for BC (or another PF) to start. Adams will be 30 by the start of '23s season, and I think it would be best to manage his minutes assuming we bring him back. 

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

It might not necessarily be this year, but it'll happen at some point. It also might not be Brandon who starts next to him either. But after this year Adams is a FA, and Brandon is due for an extension. I think once that happens, it just makes sense for BC (or another PF) to start. Adams will be 30 by the start of '23s season, and I think it would be best to manage his minutes assuming we bring him back. 

I agree, mostly.  Steven will either be gone when his contract ends or via a trade, IDK.  He may get re-signed and be around  for awhile.  30 is not old by any stretch.  He doesn't turn 29 until next month.  All I'm saying is that as long as he is here and it's working, I'm good with him starting.