grizzgolf

Offseason Moves and Plans

10 hours ago, lions said:

Zach lavine = Best scorer in Grizz history 

I fixed it for you. 

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

@grizzgolf, I'm not the thread police or anything, just sayin'.  We stickied BigHunkALove's Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves thread just so we could have a permanent place to discuss topics such as this one in a running discussion to avoid redundancy.  Just putting it out there.

I appreciate non thread redundancy, but I'm all for switching gears from in season to now off season.

ETA: I'd also be completely fine keeping it all in one thread (the other one)

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I appreciate non thread redundancy, but I'm all for switching gears from in season to now off season.

ETA: I'd also be completely fine keeping it all in one thread (the other one)

It's not a big deal, but if we continue this way, we may as well unsticky the other.  I do like how it makes it easy to go back and find old posts without searching  the entire forum.

In the off season? I'd say bulk up (Ja Morant), free throws, free throws, free throws, since Memphis, entire team needs to do better on FTs. But most of all, be angry, disappointed and hungry. Since we were almost there and it could have happened, making it to the Finals, but Golden State played a bit smarter (not good, but smarter) at just the right moments. It's a young team, we're gonna get there.

Plans for the offseason, Ja gets better at defense, Jaren becomes more efficient on offense, and we're the best team in the league. 

No chance I'm getting rid of Melton. Very good 3 point shooter and very good defender, and pretty darn solid playmaker (5th on the team per 36). The reality is internal development is the name of the game for us. Guys like ZW and Santi should be able to improve their games, with guys like Ja, Jaren, Bane, Melton, BC, and even Dillon will continue to refine their games. 

I'm certainly bringing Tyus back, just given Ja's likelihood of missing time. He's solid and certainly fits our culture (though if you get a first back in a sign and trade, that's something to consider). I think Kyle has run his course, solid player but we need more shooting from that position at some point. We will certainly look to draft/ trade/  sign a stretch 3/4. 

To me, Tillie and Tillman are on the chopping block, depending on who we bring in. I think Tillman stays, Tillie is probably gone. Culver is certainly gone. I would look to bring in a 3rd PG with one of our picks, maybe the 2nd round pick (doesn't matter). I think we go with PF, a bigger 2/3, and a PG with our picks. 

To me, you don't shake up the 2nd best team in the league for the regular season, particularly that was also the 2nd youngest team in the league. Bring back our core, let them improve on things they need to work on, and run it back. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Plans for the offseason, Ja gets better at defense, Jaren becomes more efficient on offense, and we're the best team in the league. 

No chance I'm getting rid of Melton. Very good 3 point shooter and very good defender, and pretty darn solid playmaker (5th on the team per 36). The reality is internal development is the name of the game for us. Guys like ZW and Santi should be able to improve their games, with guys like Ja, Jaren, Bane, Melton, BC, and even Dillon will continue to refine their games. 

I'm certainly bringing Tyus back, just given Ja's likelihood of missing time. He's solid and certainly fits our culture (though if you get a first back in a sign and trade, that's something to consider). I think Kyle has run his course, solid player but we need more shooting from that position at some point. We will certainly look to draft/ trade/  sign a stretch 3/4. 

To me, Tillie and Tillman are on the chopping block, depending on who we bring in. I think Tillman stays, Tillie is probably gone. Culver is certainly gone. I would look to bring in a 3rd PG with one of our picks, maybe the 2nd round pick (doesn't matter). I think we go with PF, a bigger 2/3, and a PG with our picks. 

To me, you don't shake up the 2nd best team in the league for the regular season, particularly that was also the 2nd youngest team in the league. Bring back our core, let them improve on things they need to work on, and run it back. 

We already have a third pg on Tyrell Terry I think the roster crunch is why they went and grabbed him on that two way I had totally forgotten about him but I believe there is real interest there.

6 hours ago, King Dork said:

I fixed it for you. 

I think the Best scorer in Grizzlies history is the picture in your profile 

2 minutes ago, lions said:

I think the Best scorer in Grizzlies history is the picture in your profile 

If this team is ever going to win a championship I think that has to change. Beat closer yes, best playmaker yes. But we need a wing who can be who Dillon thinks he is. 

19 minutes ago, King Dork said:

If this team is ever going to win a championship I think that has to change. Beat closer yes, best playmaker yes. But we need a wing who can be who Dillon thinks he is. 

I feel Dillion long term most likely in not the answer i'm say lavine is to much of a RISK because of knees 

Just now, lions said:

I feel Dillion long term most likely in not the answer i'm say lavine is to much of a RISK because of knees 

I did not want to see  a another chandler parson signing 

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

We already have a third pg on Tyrell Terry I think the roster crunch is why they went and grabbed him on that two way I had totally forgotten about him but I believe there is real interest there.

He's really not a true PG. He also shot 35% from the field and 26% from 3. Not banking really anything on him. He'll have his chance in training camp and summer league. 

4 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Tyrell Terry and Yves Pons are both on the two-way.  They have shown a willingness to promote one of those guys to the main roster, but they also won't keep someone around just for the sake of having the around.

Terry is a fine deep back up option, but unless he has taken tremendous strides, neither he nor any rookie is a true backup to Ja.  I think Tyus will be given a good offer, but someone may come in and top it.

At that point...bring back Delon! (Message board debate reference: July, 2019)

3 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Tyrell Terry and Yves Pons are both on the two-way.  They have shown a willingness to promote one of those guys to the main roster, but they also won't keep someone around just for the sake of having the around.

Terry is a fine deep back up option, but unless he has taken tremendous strides, neither he nor any rookie is a true backup to Ja.  I think Tyus will be given a good offer, but someone may come in and top it.

At that point...bring back Delon! (Message board debate reference: July, 2019)

Tyrell Terry should never play NBA mins, he is not fine as a 3rd PG. sorry to the end of the bench player lovers but Terry, Pons, Santi, Tillie and Culver all 🗑. 

They are also the least of my worries, because if you go that deep in your bench in the postseason you probably about to lose anyway. 

32 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Tyrell Terry should never play NBA mins, he is not fine as a 3rd PG. sorry to the end of the bench player lovers but Terry, Pons, Santi, Tillie and Culver all 🗑. 

They are also the least of my worries, because if you go that deep in your bench in the postseason you probably about to lose anyway. 

How can you say Santi is trash in his rookie season? Special when he showed signs that he could be a role player.

38 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

How can you say Santi is trash in his rookie season? Special when he showed signs that he could be a role player.

What signs? He had a highlight dunk. That’s the only play he made. Ziaire, showed signs. Santi, showed Strotiential. 

Pons was a career 5.7ppg scorer in college.  His turnovers were higher than his assists.

Tillie shot 44% from three in college.   There is a reason he was already extended.**

**By the NBA executive of the year

11 hours ago, King Dork said:

The only wing that’s as good as Dillon thinks he is has been retired for 20 years and owns the Hornets. 

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Pons was a career 5.7ppg scorer in college.  His turnovers were higher than his assists.

Tillie shot 44% from three in college.   There is a reason he was already extended.**

I wonder if he gets a role this coming season. Tillie, Not Pons. 

Tillie play pretty well in the middle of the season earning some good start,

2 concerns for me : he have to shoot better at 3 ( as he did in college) and also he is frequently injured.  But he may be a role player. 

9 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Tillie has also shot 30% from 3 2 str8 seasons in the NBA. This isn’t playing against St. Marys and a bunch of bums in a lesser conference. Tillie ain’t an NBA role player. 

Tillie's 31.4% from three?

Better than:

Brooks 30.9

Clarke 22.7

Culver 25.5

Tillman 20.4

and around the league...

Cade Cunningham 31.4

Derrick White 31.2

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 30.0

23 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Tillie's 31.4% from three?

Better than:

Brooks 30.9

Clarke 22.7

Culver 25.5

Tillman 20.4

and around the league...

Cade Cunningham 31.4

Derrick White 31.2

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 30.0

Aren't all of those players something more than just three point shooters?  What is Tillie?  Honestly, Tillie's defense was better than I expected, but he's no stopper.  What else does he do?

10 hours ago, King Dork said:

What signs? He had a highlight dunk. That’s the only play he made. Ziaire, showed signs. Santi, showed Strotiential. 

The only thing wrong with Santi is his three-point shot.  Per 36 he scores at the same rate as Ziaire.  He rebounds, assists, and blocks shots better than Ziaire.  He's a pretty smooth ball handler for his size.  His defense needs work, but so did ZW's at the 360 minutes playing time mark.  ZW got a lot more opportunity, partly due to there being fewer players ahead of him at his position.  I expect improvement so we'll see.

this team can tremendously advance forward if zw puts in big work this summer. the kid has all the tools to be a very good player in the league. he needs to have a ball in his hands dribbling dawn to dusk. 
ideally, in my world, he takes brooks’ starting spot. 

slim. 

11 hours ago, King Dork said:

Perhaps you should broaden your perspective a bit.

Santi worked hard on his game in the G League and put up impressive stats down there. In his limited opportunities this season with the big club he showed potential greater than Tillie or Culver. It's hard to show a lot when you are a late round rookie on the 2nd best team, record-wise, in the league. 

Another summer of working on his game, getting stronger and perfecting his shot should help him contribute more next season. THe problem with Santi is the competition ahead of him. JJJ, Adams, Clarke, Anderson and Tillman all were more prepared to contribute this season than Santi. Next season he needs to beat out two or more of those names.