Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pardon_my_interruption

Rubio Signs in Spain?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...barcelona_team/

Ricky Rubio, the 5th pick of the Minnesota Timberwolves in this year's draft, has agreed to terms on a contract with Regal Barcelona.

Rubio will sign a six-year agreement that contains an affordable buyout in 2011.

PMI...you should know better than trusting Marca.

False report...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4423952

Although there remains a strong possibility that Ricky Rubio will play in Spain rather than Minneapolis next season, a Spanish media report Wednesday of his agreement to a six-year deal with FC Barcelona was overstated, a knowledgeable NBA source told ESPN.com.

The Spanish newspaper Marca said Regal FC Barcelona had agreed to pay Rubio's former team, DKV Joventut, 3.7 million Euros ($5.28 million U.S.) for the rights to the 18-year-old playmaker who was taken by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the fifth pick of June's NBA draft.

"Ricky Rubio hasn't signed anything. Joventut hasn't accepted anything. It's not over yet," said the source, who was briefed early Wednesday on the ever-changing landscape of the protracted, trans-Atlantic Rubio saga.

Why do I get the feeling that "knowledgeable source" is T-Wolves GM David Kahn? Especially with that "it's not over yet" comment. Kahn's just trying to save face in the face of the inevitable.

i cant believe our FO didnt draft this guy, he is a slam dunk for ROY....i know there wont be any topics on Grizz Talk about how we should give some credit to the FO for forseeing the ****storm Rudio has become before even bouncing a ball in the NBA. We will just discount these facts...

i cant believe our FO didnt draft this guy, he is a slam dunk for ROY....i know there wont be any topics on Grizz Talk about how we should give some credit to the FO for forseeing the ****storm Rudio has become before even bouncing a ball in the NBA. We will just discount these facts...

Perhaps.

But I still believe if he were drafted in the top 3, this wouldn't even be an issue. His buyout terms would have already been agreed upon and he'd be preparing to come to Memphis around the same time Marc Gasol does.

But that's just me.

Perhaps.

But I still believe if he were drafted in the top 3, this wouldn't even be an issue. His buyout terms would have already been agreed upon and he'd be preparing to come to Memphis around the same time Marc Gasol does.

But that's just me.

Maybe so. Maybe not. This just goes to show that he could have done the same thing to us. You never know what would have happened. Even if the front office saw this coming, we should have atleast drafted Tyreke Evans.

So Rubio will be in Minnesota in two years. So what? The T Wolves knew that might happen when they drafted him.

Maybe so. Maybe not. This just goes to show that he could have done the same thing to us. You never know what would have happened. Even if the front office saw this coming, we should have atleast drafted Tyreke Evans.

It's not that he did it to them, he did it to himself. The buyout is said to be agreed at 3.7 million euro, that's 5.3 million dollar. The team can pay up to 500,000$, that means 4.7 million. At #5 he would be making around 6-7 million BEFORE taxes during the first two years, that's the guaranteed money. At #2 he would be making 9-10 million before taxes. And correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not very literate on this, but he would be paying less taxes in Memphis, wouldn't he?

Right now, he couldn't cover the buyout with his guaranteed salary. He still could have taken the risk to make the jump and earn close to zero during the first two seasons with some corporate support, but I can understand why he didn't. Sitting at #2 it all looks different, he could cover the buyout with his guaranteed salary, and still have some left. All the endorsements would go directly to his pockets. That's a situation where anyone would jump. I don't know if we would have traded Conley or not, but his coming to the NBA would be perfectly viable.

Perhaps.

But that's just me.

Not only you. It's basic maths, just additions and substractions.

right now I think the sport is going in a good direction with this. I'd rather see players developed like hopefully Brandon Jennings will be this year after playing some "lesser league" before NBA. NCAA is a joke as we see all the scandals from the top players (Rose, Mayo both breaking NCAA rules for money).

I like it better to have more competitive rookie class with guys like Rudy Fernandez coming in at their prime and fully ready for starting on their team immediately than to watch bitterly guys like Stromile Swift languish for years and all those millions $$$ and time of the fans were wasted.

It will be good when Rubio does get here and that rookie class will be one of the best ever perhaps. It is painful to wait more years but in the end I like where it's going to have better players coming into the league rather than ??? like Thabeet that only played among children in the Big East conference compared to his size and nothing against his skill which is a ?????

Guys like OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose and Lebron James have no business in the NCAA. They were professionals at age 16 and have no reason to pretend to be "amateurs" until draft day. ridiculous. Yes they should follow up studying as it completes their personal development mentally and emotionally. But no they dont' need to pretend to be amateur student athletes. a joke! because we suffer when they are exposed as frauds.

wow I just saw this on grizzlies blogs:

As we are seeing in dramatic fashion, there’s more to it. The Miami Heat’s Michael Beasley is entering rehab for a variety of issues, but the crux of the matter is that he was not ready for the NBA as a complete package. He has incredible physical gifts, but that is only a small parcel of what an NBA player needs to succeed.

Charles Barkley was quoted in Radio Sports Interviews as saying:

See, that’s one of the problems, we talk about Michael Beasley, everybody’s talking about, ‘We got to get to the money, we got to get to the money.’ Nobody ever says, ‘Are these kids stable enough?’ J.R. Smith is not stable enough, Stephon Marbury has got issues. These guys, yeah, they’re making a lot of money, but these kids aren’t ready for the NBA. They’re not mature enough, and like I said, the one thing they’re not talking about, all these kids are quitting college after the first semester.”

Even Beasley’s own father admitted to the South Florida Sentinal that his son wasn’t fully aware of all that being an NBA player entailed.

the elder Beasley strongly denied recent marijuana use by his son, but did address how off-court and on-court issues, including the recent birth of a daughter, have created a stressful environment for the 20-year-old. “It went from being fun to a job now,” his father said of the transition from being the No. 2 overall selection in the 2008 NBA Draft out of Kansas State. “So I think the demands of playing 82 games, making appearances, I think is taking a toll on him. “I was surprised, because I didn’t know that it was to this extent.”

The NBA has been relatively free of negative press compared to its brother leagues, but it now enters a crucial moment in its history—finances are shaky, demands are high and scrutiny is even higher thanks to Twitter, Facebook and MySpace. David Stern has one of the greatest track records for a professional sports commissioner.

And he knows, perhaps better than most, we aren’t in the toy department any more.

right now I think the sport is going in a good direction with this. I'd rather see players developed like hopefully Brandon Jennings will be this year after playing some "lesser league" before NBA. NCAA is a joke as we see all the scandals from the top players (Rose, Mayo both breaking NCAA rules for money).

I like it better to have more competitive rookie class with guys like Rudy Fernandez coming in at their prime and fully ready for starting on their team immediately than to watch bitterly guys like Stromile Swift languish for years and all those millions $$$ and time of the fans were wasted.

It will be good when Rubio does get here and that rookie class will be one of the best ever perhaps. It is painful to wait more years but in the end I like where it's going to have better players coming into the league rather than ??? like Thabeet that only played among children in the Big East conference compared to his size and nothing against his skill which is a ?????

Guys like OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose and Lebron James have no business in the NCAA. They were professionals at age 16 and have no reason to pretend to be "amateurs" until draft day. ridiculous. Yes they should follow up studying as it completes their personal development mentally and emotionally. But no they dont' need to pretend to be amateur student athletes. a joke! because we suffer when they are exposed as frauds.

wow I just saw this on grizzlies blogs:

No! Not the truth! We can't handle the truth!

ESPN is reporting it too, but I wonder what their source is...

But, at least Rubio should be more polished when he finally gets to the NBA. Although there's not a lot of benefit to him staying over there, as he's still bound to Minny and the rookie scale, but not having to pay the buyout will be a boon.

About taxes in Memphis:

I remember reading an article that states that NBA players pay taxes based on where they play the actual game (a game in LA is subject to California taxes)...but for games in Memphis, I guess you make a little more due to their not being an income tax in Tennessee.

ESPN is reporting it too, but I wonder what their source is...

But, at least Rubio should be more polished when he finally gets to the NBA. Although there's not a lot of benefit to him staying over there, as he's still bound to Minny and the rookie scale, but not having to pay the buyout will be a boon.

About taxes in Memphis:

I remember reading an article that states that NBA players pay taxes based on where they play the actual game (a game in LA is subject to California taxes)...but for games in Memphis, I guess you make a little more due to their not being an income tax in Tennessee.

Actually, there is a special income tax for pro athletes in Tennessee...was implemented after the Titans became official.

Actually, there is a special income tax for pro athletes in Tennessee...was implemented after the Titans became official.

Logical move...there's probably a reason I never heard about it.

like i said before, had we drafted him and this happened you guys would be blasting the FO for their incompetence. Caulkins would be churning out 3 pieces a week about how MH and CW should have seen the writing on the wall that he would not play here and people would be saying they dont want to wait 2 years, etc etc...

As far as his pick status being the tipping point, i dont know about all that, its not as if you are payed all 10 mill up front, so I am not sure how a buyout would have worked at that point. Its my belief that Rubio didnt want to come here at this point in time, otherwise he would have made himself more available to the teams picking higher. I am guessing he is hoping to "encourage" a trade in the next 2 seasons that see him wind up in a more desirable location after the dust settles on the 2010 FA bonanza.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4423952

Why do I get the feeling that "knowledgeable source" is T-Wolves GM David Kahn? Especially with that "it's not over yet" comment. Kahn's just trying to save face in the face of the inevitable.

This is a bunch of Bull****!! Rubio is stalling because he knows that he is over-rated and doesn't want to embarrass himself...What better way to develop yourself for the NBA than to play in the NBA...ask Derrick Rose or even Mike Conley The Grizz have invested years in waiting for him to develop...Rubio SUCKS!!!

like i said before, had we drafted him and this happened you guys would be blasting the FO for their incompetence. Caulkins would be churning out 3 pieces a week about how MH and CW should have seen the writing on the wall that he would not play here and people would be saying they dont want to wait 2 years, etc etc...

As far as his pick status being the tipping point, i dont know about all that, its not as if you are payed all 10 mill up front, so I am not sure how a buyout would have worked at that point. Its my belief that Rubio didnt want to come here at this point in time, otherwise he would have made himself more available to the teams picking higher. I am guessing he is hoping to "encourage" a trade in the next 2 seasons that see him wind up in a more desirable location after the dust settles on the 2010 FA bonanza.

If we drafted him he'd be able to pay the buyout . Joins another countryman plus only "compete" with Mike Conley Jr. He'd be in Memphis right now probably. Instead they pick him with Johnny Flynn Wayne Ellington, and Ty Lawson on draft night with Bobby Brown and Telfaire still on the roster. Then they grab Chucky Atkins? The negotiation is a monkey wedding because the big trend in the draft was to pick players that were known to stay in Europe, AFrica, Greenland, Mongolia, in some years in the future when the economy picks up. No teams can take on new players so it is cheaper to pick someone like this who they don't pay one cent and can hold as an asset for the future. Look at all the guys that were picked in the late first round and all the quality players that fell in the second round who had nowhere to go and had to be paid. Sadly Rubio came in the bad economy and teams with horrible scouting had the blindness to him (Memphis, OKC, Sacramento).

If we drafted him he'd be able to pay the buyout . Joins another countryman plus only "compete" with Mike Conley Jr. He'd be in Memphis right now probably. Instead they pick him with Johnny Flynn Wayne Ellington, and Ty Lawson on draft night with Bobby Brown and Telfaire still on the roster. Then they grab Chucky Atkins? The negotiation is a monkey wedding because the big trend in the draft was to pick players that were known to stay in Europe, AFrica, Greenland, Mongolia, in some years in the future when the economy picks up. No teams can take on new players so it is cheaper to pick someone like this who they don't pay one cent and can hold as an asset for the future. Look at all the guys that were picked in the late first round and all the quality players that fell in the second round who had nowhere to go and had to be paid. Sadly Rubio came in the bad economy and teams with horrible scouting had the blindness to him (Memphis, OKC, Sacramento).

this post = full of ****.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajo4...p&type=lgns

Rudio doesnt wanna come. Plain and simple. Perhaps he is afraid of being exposed. Expectations gotta little high for him perhaps...

Sounds like a winner, going back on deal he has agreed to, what a way to make an impression. Oh well, now he can continue to bask in the teen-idol glory he receives for playing in the amateur league over in Spain, perhaps thats just better for him.

If Memphis had used their pick on Rubio, he would not have wanted to play here just like he didn't want to play in Minnesota. Who needs that kind of attitude?

Comparing Rubio to Beasley? Is that supposed to be serious?

A kid who has made a (maybe) questionable career choice is the same as a kid who is most definitely crippling his career with off-court issues?

Rubio will end up in the NBA in two years. And, yes, he'll be better than 95% of the 2009 class, at least. It's out front office's only hope that he never will, though: when he does, they'll be ridiculed, again.

Comparing Rubio to Beasley? Is that supposed to be serious?

A kid who has made a (maybe) questionable career choice is the same as a kid who is most definitely crippling his career with off-court issues?

Rubio will end up in the NBA in two years. And, yes, he'll be better than 95% of the 2009 class, at least. It's out front office's only hope that he never will, though: when he does, they'll be ridiculed, again.

Whose comparing Rubio to Beasley :unsure:

this post = full of ****.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajo4...p&type=lgns

Rudio doesnt wanna come. Plain and simple. Perhaps he is afraid of being exposed. Expectations gotta little high for him perhaps...

Sounds like a winner, going back on deal he has agreed to, what a way to make an impression. Oh well, now he can continue to bask in the teen-idol glory he receives for playing in the amateur league over in Spain, perhaps thats just better for him.

:blink::blink:

I'm disappointed with Rubio, but...

Amateur league? What an ignorant comment!