Ole Dirty Klondike

Well, here's the thing.....

I get that everyone is getting very emotional and many are disappointed because they wanted us to shock the world but if we are realistic, we have already shocked the world.We weren't supposed to be the #2 team in the NBA, we weren't supposed to be in the second round of the playoffs, we are way ahead of schedule. I get that everyone wants instant gratification but if we take a step back,  we realize a couple of things:

• Inexperience- When you look at the Grizz roster, only Steven Adams and SloMo have meaningful playoff experience outside of Grizz playoff experience. SloMo only started 2 games in the playoffs. Tyus had 4 games with Minny but that was a sweep. Those are the only guys on this team with playoff experience outside of the Grizz playoffs last year and none of them were leaders or key contributors. They were all role players. Adams has the most meaningful experience but he didn't play the first couple of games and only played part of game 3. Not only that Taylor Jenkins has only been a head coach in the playoffs once before and that was last year. He's making mistakes and learning on the job as well. We're one of the youngest teams in the NBA and we are one of the most inexperienced teams in the NBA, this shouldn't be a shock. We are playing a team that has won multiple championships. Keep in mind, basically everybody outside of Aquamane and SloMo are learning on the fly in the playoffs and that includes Taylor Jenkins. We were the youngest team to advance to the 2nd round since GS did several years ago in the early years of Steph, Klay and Draymond. We got to the second round for the first time since 2015. I would expect growing pains and learning how to win in the playoffs. The playoffs are different than the regular season
  • We haven't even been the Grizzlies in this series- From the very jump, we were down Aquamane due to COVID. Then Dillon got suspended, then Ja got hurt. We haven't been the real Grizzlies this series. I'm not going to attack our individual players. I'll call out something on everybody and say the team as a whole didn't play well but that's with the realization that we have not been the real Grizzlies in this series. I'm not discarding poor play but I am saying, it will be extremely difficult for an undermanned Grizz team to beat GS or PHX no matter how close it seems we are. EDIT: I forgot about Bane's back injury as well.

Sure, it's frustrating that we have been so close in 2 games yet lost those 2 games.  Sure people are making boneheaded plays but that's how you learn. What has been particularly disconcerting for me is the vitriol coming from so called Grizz fans against our own players. The same players who helped us win 56 games and get the second best record in the NBA Now they're all trash and we should trade everybody? I would just suggest that people calm down. It's all growing pains for one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

52 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I get that everyone is getting very emotional and many are disappointed because they wanted us to shock the world but if we are realistic, we have already shocked the world.We weren't supposed to be the #2 team in the NBA, we weren't supposed to be in the second round of the playoffs, we are way ahead of schedule. I get that everyone wants instant gratification but if we take a step back,  we realize a couple of things:

• Inexperience- When you look at the Grizz roster, only Steven Adams and SloMo have meaningful playoff experience outside of Grizz playoff experience. SloMo only started 2 games in the playoffs. Tyus had 4 games with Minny but that was a sweep. Those are the only guys on this team with playoff experience outside of the Grizz playoffs last year and none of them were leaders or key contributors. They were all role players. Adams has the most meaningful experience but he didn't play the first couple of games and only played part of game 3. Not only that Taylor Jenkins has only been a head coach in the playoffs once before and that was last year. He's making mistakes and learning on the job as well. We're one of the youngest teams in the NBA and we are one of the most inexperienced teams in the NBA, this shouldn't be a shock. We are playing a team that has won multiple championships. Keep in mind, basically everybody outside of Aquamane and SloMo are learning on the fly in the playoffs and that includes Taylor Jenkins. We were the youngest team to advance to the 2nd round since GS did several years ago in the early years of Steph, Klay and Draymond. We got to the second round for the first time since 2015. I would expect growing pains and learning how to win in the playoffs. The playoffs are different than the regular season
  • We haven't even been the Grizzlies in this series- From the very jump, we were down Aquamane due to COVID. Then Dillon got suspended, then Ja got hurt. We haven't been the real Grizzlies this series. I'm not going to attack our individual players. I'll call out something on everybody and say the team as a whole didn't play well but that's with the realization that we have not been the real Grizzlies in this series. I'm not discarding poor play but I am saying, it will be extremely difficult for an undermanned Grizz team to beat GS or PHX no matter how close it seems we are.

Sure, it's frustrating that we have been so close in 2 games yet lost those 2 games.  Sure people are making boneheaded plays but that's how you learn. What has been particularly disconcerting for me is the vitriol coming from so called Grizz fans against our own players. The same players who helped us win 56 games and get the second best record in the NBA Now they're all trash and we should trade everybody? I would just suggest that people calm down. It's all growing pains for one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

I agree with this and with @FrenchGrizzlies.

Also people are missing your 2nd point, and you didn't mention Bane seemingly injured as well.

To me Melton seems like an obvious upgrade, and Dillon too but I am not seeing that much out there. I still like the idea of Dillon coming from the bench and replacing his starter role with either ZW8 or the replacement for SloMo (who I dont think is coming back). The question is will Dillon be cool with this? All previous indications are thatvthe answer is no.

I do trust this FO to make the right call

18 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I agree with this and with @FrenchGrizzlies.

Also people are missing your 2nd point, and you didn't mention Bane seemingly injured as well.

To me Melton seems like an obvious upgrade, and Dillon too but I am not seeing that much out there. I still like the idea of Dillon coming from the bench and replacing his starter role with either ZW8 or the replacement for SloMo (who I dont think is coming back). The question is will Dillon be cool with this? All previous indications are thatvthe answer is no.

I do trust this FO to make the right call

Yes, I forgot about Bane's back injury. Yet another reason why we haven't been the Grizz in this series. I have no idea where this rumor that Dillon won't come off of the bench has come from. I'm not saying it's true or not just saying I have heard absolutely no one discuss this except this board and somehow the board has decided he won't come off of the bench so trade him. If we landed say a Jayson Tatum (unrealistic) while keeping Dillon, I think he has sense enough to come off of the bench.

51 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yes, I forgot about Bane's back injury. Yet another reason why we haven't been the Grizz in this series. I have no idea where this rumor that Dillon won't come off of the bench has come from. I'm not saying it's true or not just saying I have heard absolutely no one discuss this except this board and somehow the board has decided he won't come off of the bench so trade him. If we landed say a Jayson Tatum (unrealistic) while keeping Dillon, I think he has sense enough to come off of the bench.

It was mentioned on Memphis Sports Radio - that Dillon was approached about it when coming off injury.   He scoffed at the idea.   Which is why he immediately went into starting lineup.   

And NO Dillon would not come off the bench for Jason Tatum either.   You mustive forgotten his after game interviews from the previous years. (paraphrase) "they all feed off of me and when i eat they eat".  "When i score 20ppg we win".      He truly views himself on the same level as Ja on this team.    Dillon can be a good player but they mishandled him so its highly unlikely his ego will allow him to take a lesser role.   

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It was mentioned on Memphis Sports Radio - that Dillon was approached about it when coming off injury.   He scoffed at the idea.   Which is why he immediately went into starting lineup.   

And NO Dillon would not come off the bench for Jason Tatum either.   You mustive forgotten his after game interviews from the previous years. (paraphrase) "they all feed off of me and when i eat they eat".  "When i score 20ppg we win".      He truly views himself on the same level as Ja on this team.    Dillon can be a good player but they mishandled him so its highly unlikely his ego will allow him to take a lesser role.   

I also remember him comparing to the Celtics Championship team with Ray Allen, KG and The Truth and the Championship Heat with Bosh, LeBron and Wade. 

I wonder who he saw himself as? 

I totally agree with  you guys. Season is a success whatever happen now.

And if we realistic, we may have loose against Minny if they did not blow so many lead as we should be in front aqainst GSW.... that's part of this strange sport sometimes..

12 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

• We haven't even been the Grizzlies in this series- From the very jump, we were down Aquamane due to COVID. Then Dillon got suspended, then Ja got hurt. We haven't been the real Grizzlies this series. I'm not going to attack our individual players. I'll call out something on everybody and say the team as a whole didn't play well but that's with the realization that we have not been the real Grizzlies in this series. I'm not discarding poor play but I am saying, it will be extremely difficult for an undermanned Grizz team to beat GS or PHX no matter how close it seems we are. EDIT: I forgot about Bane's back injury as well.

I support this post.

10 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well, saying Memphis radio is very generic. I personally think people are just jumping to conclusions including Memphis radio. I mean, they throw out a lot of opinions just like this board does but this is not even a thing to me. I'm not even thinking about it really. We'll deal with it if and when the situation ever presents itself.

36 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, saying Memphis radio is very generic. I personally think people are just jumping to conclusions including Memphis radio. I mean, they throw out a lot of opinions just like this board does but this is not even a thing to me. I'm not even thinking about it really. We'll deal with it if and when the situation ever presents itself.

I heard it on Peter Edmiston show if that helps you.  I dont think anyone is jumping to conclusions - those guys usually have credible inside sources and track record is usually good. 

Heck just simply based on evidence we see in games and interviews and how games play out.  It's not far fetched to believe that Dillon scoffed at idea of coming off the bench long-term.    I dont know why some posters automatically crap on "Insider info" when we all know It is extremely rare for NBA players or Coaches to openly say in Public Forums exactly what they think about internal situations.   

16 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Great post. Go Grizz!

I think there is a Dillon problem.  Maybe put him on the bench behind ZW8 next season and if he pouts...trade before the contract expires.

Unless that creates a cap issue.  I'm not a contract lawyer.  Maybe you guys understand the cap better.

Do we really need TWO starting 6-6 wings with the initials DB?

16 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Good post.  I'll just push back on one tiny thing.  Playoffs are different than regular season games because the stakes are higher and intensity levels are turned up to 110%.  However, bone headed plays, are bone headed plays whether in regular season or playoffs.  There just happens to be less room for error in playoffs.  

31 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Good post.  I'll just push back on one tiny thing.  Playoffs are different than regular season games because the stakes are higher and intensity levels are turned up to 110%.  However, bone headed plays, are bone headed plays whether in regular season or playoffs.  There just happens to be less room for error in playoffs.  

I agree but I also think inexperience, nerves, anxiety, lack of confidence because we haven't been there before contribute to those bone headed plays and hopefully we learn so that is upcoming years, we don't repeat those mistakes.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree but I also think inexperience, nerves, anxiety, lack of confidence because we haven't been there before contribute to those bone headed plays and hopefully we learn so that is upcoming years, we don't repeat those mistakes.

True.  First time in playoff/pressure situations, you are more nervous.  If you're more nervous, you're more prone to make a mistake.  

They should use ZW8 quite a bit tonight and if we can eek out a win, the next game as well.  Get him as much experience in big games right now.  It's a shame Aldama and Tillie are hurt.  They could use some minutes in the post season for the future.

Tillman staying on the bench last game gives me pause about his future here. (?)

20 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree. Good post my fellow Grizz fan 

12 hours ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Yes. Good post. But.... as I keep saying.... these kids, the Grizzlies, they are something special. And then we get GAME 5. And they blow the Warriors off the court. The Warriors may be a Championship team and sure the heart of a champion and all that, but they don't have the young legs and hunger the Grizz have. Grizz make more mistakes, it's a learning curve, but when they are ON, they are ON. They need to come out firing on all cylinders come G6 and.... I like their chances. Sorry, but I'm a true believer.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

See the source image

I hope now that everyone has had a little time to digest everything that has happened, hopefully we can be more realistic. 

We're still in a great position. Like ODK mentioned, this series was certainly not our best showing due to all of the various key things that happened to us. We were essentially without 4 starters for various parts of this series as Adams missed the first 3, Bane wasn't really healthy until game 5, Ja missed 3 games, and Dillon obviously had a tough series except for game 6 and missed game 3. They had some injuries and Draymond missed one half of a game, but imagine them missing Curry for 3 games, or if Klay and Draymond either were hurt or missed several games. Fortunately for them, everyone stayed healthy and played reasonably well, and they advanced. I still believe we're the better team. We easily should have beat the in two of those games, but sometimes the breaks (and certainly the experience factor) just don't go your way.

Long term view, who is better positioned that us? Certainly not the Suns, as they have now turned into a mess. The Warriors probably have a couple years left with this core, but Draymond's decline is happening, Klay doesn't look like he can be a consistent threat anymore. Mavs are looking good, but they certainly don't have the top end talent. If you compare us to them, obviously Luka and Ja at the top, then it's Jaren/Bane after that, and maybe Brunson, but he's not much better than Brooks if he is. 

Pelicans/TWolves, and Denver are certainly long term threats, but Denver is the only one that really concerns me at this point. 

What takes us to the next level (legit contenders/sneaky dynasty team) AIN’T gonna be what got us where we are right now.

Need an extra big man for potential twin towers’ lineups.  Then a 1a wing. Plus a 1b wing. (Assuming that Bane is either Option 1 on the perimeter OR we can’t really draft over him).

And maybe we should go with a brand closer to Showtime 901 than ALT GRIND (still not sure what the ALT GRIND basketball/lifestyle brand means — and I INVENTED it).  

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

What takes us to the next level (legit contenders/sneaky dynasty team) AIN’T gonna be what got us where we are right now.

Need an extra big man for potential twin towers’ lineups.  Then a 1a wing. Plus a 1b wing. (Assuming that Bane is either Option 1 on the perimeter OR we can’t really draft over him).

And maybe we should go with a brand closer to Showtime 901 than ALT GRIND (still not sure what the ALT GRIND basketball/lifestyle brand means — and I INVENTED it).  

I like Grinds plan. Seems like that's most of the holes we need to fix honestly. 

Anyone, I mean anyone, who feels any amount of frustration or disappointment after this amazing season should find another team to support. And here I have chosen the most polite words to make my point because I just don’t want to be banned. But if this line of super high expectations continues my ban is inevitable. Whining glory-hunters should not be tolerated here. 

11 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

Anyone, I mean anyone, who feels any amount of frustration or disappointment after this amazing season should find another team to support. And here I have chosen the most polite words to make my point because I just don’t want to be banned. But if this line of super high expectations continues my ban is inevitable. Whining glory-hunters should not be tolerated here. 

👍🏾