chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors Game 6 5/12/22

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: TBD PM Friday, May 13

Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors

Television: TNT

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: 

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Tyus Jones Desmond Bane Dillon Brooks Jaren Jackson Steven Adams
Tyus Jones Desmond Bane Dillon Brooks Jaren Jackson Jr. Steven Adams

Warriors Starting 5

Steph Curry Klay Thompson Andrew Wiggins Jonathon Kuminga Draymond Green
Stephen Curry Klay Thompson Andrew Wiggins Jonathan Kuminga Draymond Green

Benches

Memphis GrizzliesSanti Aldama, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Clarke, Jarrett Culver, John Konchar, De'Anthony Melton, Ja Morant (INJ), Yves Pons (2), Tyrell Terry (2), Killian Tillie (INJ), Xavier Tillman, Ziaire Williams (INJ)

Golden State: Nemanja Bjelica, Chris Chiozza, Jeff Dowtin, Andre Iguodala (INJ), Damion Lee, Kevin Looney, Moses Moody, Gary Payton Jr (INJ), Jordan Poole, Otto Porter Jr, Juan Toscana-Anderson, James Wiseman

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Warriors: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

This THINK the Grizzlies Season may End on FRIDAY THE 13TH but this was a GREAT Season with Many Good Season coming the Grizzlies Way . its only the start 

Man this team isn’t better than us at all. Im looking forward to this game about as much as any Grizzlies game. Forcing game 7 at home would be epic and the forum is going to be a madhouse 

C'mon. They blew out the Warriors, they were ahead by 50, at some point??? The Warriors are a smart, high execution team, with some superstars, great staff and a pretty deep bench w/ young talent.

So what?

You gotta believe.

It's 2 games. And you need to win them both. There's no other option. And this team knows it. The Warriors are gonna be mighty upset/****** because they literally got played off the court, so the pressure is on them. They gotta wash this horrid taste out of their mouths. The Grizz are beaming, we got a lifeline. 

I say Grizz in 7.

Massive upset.

Pundits will be debating this for years to come.

The knee jerk reaction in the national media seems to be that this was an anomaly and they'll come home Friday and end it.

But to me, it seems like we've found something with the ball movement and going big. They absolutely have no answer for our size and it gave them all kinds of fits. I bet Taylor probably regrets not going to that earlier in the series, and if so, we would probably be looking to close them out tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

The knee jerk reaction in the national media seems to be that this was an anomaly and they'll come home Friday and end it.

But to me, it seems like we've found something with the ball movement and going big. They absolutely have no answer for our size and it gave them all kinds of fits. I bet Taylor probably regrets not going to that earlier in the series, and if so, we would probably be looking to close them out tomorrow.

And they will even be at a further disadvantage if Otto Porter, Jr is out for game 6.  He has an undisclosed foot injury.  He is replaced by Bjelica, who can still shoot the 3, but struggles more to defend big bodies.  

2 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

And they will even be at a further disadvantage if Otto Porter, Jr is out for game 6.  He has an undisclosed foot injury.  He is replaced by Bjelica, who can still shoot the 3, but struggles more to defend big bodies.  

What happened to Porter Jr.? I missed the beginning of the game and didn't see how he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

What happened to Porter Jr.? I missed the beginning of the game and didn't see how he got hurt.

Honestly, I have no idea.  I missed the first 5 minutes or so, but apparently he played 12 minutes before leaving the game.  I don't remember seeing an injury.  

2 hours ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Honestly, I have no idea.  I missed the first 5 minutes or so, but apparently he played 12 minutes before leaving the game.  I don't remember seeing an injury.  

They said he has foot soreness. I'm not sure any particular play is what did it. I think it just kind of happened. 

Honestly, either way this season is a success. The warriors are not better than us. We just make bad plays at times.. But, we should’ve won game 1.. or game 4.. either way. We should be up 3-2… Game 6 is going to be a game… that’s all I can say lol

Adams has been huge for us these last two games. He's plus 45 over the last two games, averaging 14 rebounds a game. They don't really have an answer for him. I said it before the series, but they essentially allow him to not really play defense with Draymond out there who rarely looks at the rim. 

We can't let them get close the rest of the series, as we just don't really have a closer with Ja out. The reality is we're probably much better without Ja the first 43 minutes of a game, but we desperately need him in the last 5 minutes of a close game. We're technically better with him playing (+3.2 On/Off), but that exclusively has to do with how good we are on offense without him. Defensively we're 7.6 points worse when he's on the court than when he's not out there. If we find answers on offense (like we did last night), then we're unstoppable. Our defense goes from way below average to 2nd among playoff teams, and would've been second in the regular season as well. 

That's mainly to say, if Ja would try on defense, we'd be easily the best team in the league. When Ja came back from his injury the first time this season, you could tell that he was giving more effort on that end. As the season wore on, he reverted back to his old ways on defense as we could still win games with him giving minimal effort. That's something you can get away with in the regular season, but certainly not in the playoffs. 

Adams is gonna have to become a scoring threat to pull out this series.  GSW will adjust and play more SmallBall to get him off the court.   IF he keeps gobbling boards and punishes them inside with some points - we can win out and take the series.       

Good news is that TJ and Adams recognized this and Adams was way more aggressive offensively than he normally is.   Bad news is that Adams really isnt much of a scorer so its still a risky play.    

Otto Porter's health is also a huge deal for them.  He was the real difference maker in their victories.   I expect him to try to play but if he is hobbled they are doomed. 

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Adams is gonna have to become a scoring threat to pull out this series.  GSW will adjust and play more SmallBall to get him off the court.   IF he keeps gobbling boards and punishes them inside with some points - we can win out and take the series.       

Good news is that TJ and Adams recognized this and Adams was way more aggressive offensively than he normally is.   Bad news is that Adams really isnt much of a scorer so its still a risky play.    

Otto Porter's health is also a huge deal for them.  He was the real difference maker in their victories.   I expect him to try to play but if he is hobbled they are doomed. 

This right here. Clarke and Adams were devastating on the offensive boards. JJJ did pretty well on the offensive glass last game too. Those extra possessions are a big deal. Plus I think teams put too much emphasis on 3 is more than 2. Sure points per possession a 40% change to get 3 is 1.2 PPP and a long two is like 45% chance to get 2 or 0.9, but scoring in the paint is different. 60% chance at the rim is equal PPP to 40% from 3 plus you have more chances at free throws, increase the other teams fouls, and get offensive rebounds. By leaning into our size advantage we can be competitive even if 3s are falling for the warriors.

2 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

This right here. Clarke and Adams were devastating on the offensive boards. JJJ did pretty well on the offensive glass last game too. Those extra possessions are a big deal. Plus I think teams put too much emphasis on 3 is more than 2. Sure points per possession a 40% change to get 3 is 1.2 PPP and a long two is like 45% chance to get 2 or 0.9, but scoring in the paint is different. 60% chance at the rim is equal PPP to 40% from 3 plus you have more chances at free throws, increase the other teams fouls, and get offensive rebounds. By leaning into our size advantage we can be competitive even if 3s are falling for the warriors.

3 is more than 2 but if you aren't hitting your 3s or getting the rebounds it makes it harder to get back on defense.        The keys for us was we were either hitting the shots or getting the boards.  Which allowed us to stop GSW runouts and get back on defense to harass their shooters.     

Then when GSW tried to take advantage of our extra emphasis on chasing shooters by driving to the paint.   We had either Jaren or Adams to discourage that.    That's why it is imperative to keep Jaren or Adams on the court at all times the next few games.   Jenkins needs to stop with the Kyle+ BC minutes.    That is playing with fire.    Go Big or we Go Home. 

Shout out to the refs for allowing these two teams to play basketball. Hopefully that remains the case in the last two games. 

Porter seemed to land weird after a drive to the basket, if I recall correctly. Didn't look like anything major, but who knows. 

Adams proving his worth. As discussed in other threads, only 2-3 guys in the league can truly abuse his defense. Draymond not one of them.

What he did against Steph last night, on the switches, was as good as anyone his size. In fact I can't think of anyone like him who I've seen play a shooter that well. 

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He missed some easy lay-ins last night that could become critical for game 6.  Overall, I think he's done great.  He has played very well on defense, and I thought even did well the times that he switched onto Curry.  He prevented Curry getting off quick shots, and then got some help when Curry started to dribble.  I think our big lineup beats their small lineup unless they get super hot from behind the arch.  And they've only been able to do that once this series.  They also had easy lanes to the bucket that game too, which Adams has been able to help take away. 

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

They've already been playing super small anyway. As long as Draymond is out there, Adams should always be able to play (as he has someone to guard on defense). Same can be said about both Looney and Kuminga. If all 3 of those guys are sitting and they play Wiggins at the 5 that would in theory take Adams off the court, but then we can still play Jaren, so we'll still have a huge size advantage. 

If Porter is out, I'm not giving them a huge chance to win. He was critical in their game 3 and 4 wins. They only have one person off the bench even really capable of putting the ball in the basket at this point, which is Poole. With Porter out, that allows BC to have his way on the offensive glass and in the paint, which he did yesterday. Honestly, they're running out of bodies. Adams is absolutely wearing down Draymond, Jaren looks like he's asserting himself more, particularly if anyone other than Draymond is guarding him. Klay was their lone bright spot, but he's been so up and down this series it is hard for them to rely on him. 

As long as Dillon plays smart, and Bane is healthy and contributing, I think we will win this series. They don't really have an answer for Jaren or Adams, and Tyus is as steady as they come. Kyle, Melton, and BC seem to have found their groove as well, with ZW giving us pretty solid minutes. 

9 hours ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

We found that we shouldn't be starting Tillman for sure