The REF

Dillon Brooks Has to Go

He’s currently on an expiring deal making $11 million, I’m hearing he wants $25 mil per!

Grizzlies should let him walk!   He’s such a liability and save that money to resign JA and of course Bane!

I would also shop JJJ!   He’s just unreliable at times and very inconsistent.

I was ****** at how he played last night, but he has given us a lot. I doubt we will fork over 25m, but his defense would be hard to replace. However it works out I'm glad he has been a Grizzly these past few years. 

I don't even know what we would get for him. Someone like TA9 should really call Brooks on the phone and say, "you can be an all NBA defender, but that offense thing is not for you."

I would be ready to move on from him if he cannot accept his role. No more hero ball

1 hour ago, The REF said:

He’s currently on an expiring deal making $11 million, I’m hearing he wants $25 mil per!

Grizzlies should let him walk!   He’s such a liability and save that money to resign JA and of course Bane!

Yeah, did you say last year after the playoffs?

Dillon played good D and led the team with 8 assists. He was awful on offense as far as shot selection but he didn't lose that game last night. It was a collective effort. We lost a double digit lead in the 4Q. People turning the ball over, SloMo missing FTs, Jenkins not challenging the Bane push in Curry's back, Jenkins not sitting Brooks, also Tyus kept passing to Brooks It was a collective effort. You get good Dillon. You get bad Dillon. It just is what it is. The stats show that the Grizz are a better team when he plays even if he has a bad offensive game because of what he brings on D. He just needs to stop taking bad shots and just defend. Problem is, who else was going to shoot? Melton and Clarke were a whopping 2-7 from the field for a combined 4 points. We only had 2, count them TWO players attempt free throws. Bane was only 3-8 from the floor. The only people doing anything were Tyus and SloMo and SloMo we 2-7 from the FT strike.

Blame Dillon all you want but this team collectively sunk last night and lost a double digit 4Q lead. That's not all on Dillon. Geoff Calkins said it best a few days ago. "Fans complain that they want a player who plays defense at Dillon's level but is a more consistent scorer and can give you 20 ppg. Problem is, that's what you call an All-Star" I'll also add this to what Calkins said, you have to get one first and then you have to pay him All-Star money.

13 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dillon played good D and led the team with 8 assists. He was awful on offense as far as shot selection but he didn't lose that game last night. It was a collective effort. We lost a double digit lead in the 4Q. People turning the ball over, SloMo missing FTs, Jenkins not challenging the Bane push in Curry's back, Jenkins not sitting Brooks, also Tyus kept passing to Brooks It was a collective effort. You get good Dillon. You get bad Dillon. It just is what it is. The stats show that the Grizz are a better team when he plays even if he has a bad offensive game because of what he brings on D. He just needs to stop taking bad shots and just defend. Problem is, who else was going to shoot? Melton and Clarke were a whopping 2-7 from the field for a combined 4 points. We only had 2, count them TWO players attempt free throws. Bane was only 3-8 from the floor. The only people doing anything were Tyus and SloMo and SloMo we 2-7 from the FT strike.

Blame Dillon all you want but this team collectively sunk last night and lost a double digit 4Q lead. That's not all on Dillon. Geoff Calkins said it best a few days ago. "Fans complain that they want a player who plays defense at Dillon's level but is a more consistent scorer and can give you 20 ppg. Problem is, that's what you call an All-Star" I'll also add this to what Calkins said, you have to get one first and then you have to pay him All-Star money.

BC only played 11 minutes though. Maybe he should've gotten more run?

3 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

BC only played 11 minutes though. Maybe he should've gotten more run?

Nah BC is getting 'sonned' by Wiggins on the regular.  This aint his series.  Melton Kyle or Ziaire shouldve gotten some of Dillon's minutes.  Jenkins should have taken him out after his 15th dumb shot attempt  - to calm him down then put him back in.    Then at that point if Dillon kept doing stupid stuff it wouldve 100% been on him.   Coach keeping him in the game made DB think what he was doing was okay. 

As of right now Jenkins gets more blame for the L than Dillon does.   We had that game won.   Jenkins was a deer in headlights for last 3mins of the most crucial game of the year.  

I have been saying this for a long time, but Ziaire Williamson is a better fit with the starting five than Dillon Brooks. Dillon's best role is coming off the bench as a shot creator and defender. If Dillon is unwilling to accept a bench role that is a problem for the FO but he isn't a $25 million a season player and he is not a great fit with Ja, Jaren and Desmond. The primary concern of the front office should be to find compliments to those three. In my opinion a 6'9" defensive player with a nice spot up 3 point shot is a perfect fit. 

Adams is a perfect fit also because he fills the role of primary rebounder (JJJ had another weak night rebounding and can't be expected to change his stripes in that regard) and pick setter. Adams sets picks that stick and that frees Ja to attack the lane. Ideally the Grizzlies want a center who can set a pick, roll to the basket effectively and have a three-point shot. Those players aren't easy to find however. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nah BC is getting 'sonned' by Wiggins on the regular.  This aint his series.  Melton Kyle or Ziaire shouldve gotten some of Dillon's minutes.  Jenkins should have taken him out after his 15th dumb shot attempt  - to calm him down then put him back in.    Then at that point if Dillon kept doing stupid stuff it wouldve 100% been on him.   Coach keeping him in the game made DB think what he was doing was okay. 

As of right now Jenkins gets more blame for the L than Dillon does.   We had that game won.   Jenkins was a deer in headlights for last 3mins of the most crucial game of the year.  

Didn't you say before the series began that Ziaire, Melton and Tillman shouldn't even see the court in this series. You were advocating just the best 7 or 8 players and not going deeper into the bench. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I have been saying this for a long time, but Ziaire Williamson is a better fit with the starting five than Dillon Brooks. Dillon's best role is coming off the bench as a shot creator and defender. If Dillon is unwilling to accept a bench role that is a problem for the FO but he isn't a $25 million a season player and he is not a great fit with Ja, Jaren and Desmond. The primary concern of the front office should be to find compliments to those three. In my opinion a 6'9" defensive player with a nice spot up 3 point shot is a perfect fit. 

Adams is a perfect fit also because he fills the role of primary rebounder (JJJ had another weak night rebounding and can't be expected to change his stripes in that regard) and pick setter. Adams sets picks that stick and that frees Ja to attack the lane. Ideally the Grizzlies want a center who can set a pick, roll to the basket effectively and have a three-point shot. Those players aren't easy to find however. 

Honestly have no idea what Dillon is worth. Inefficient volume shooter that plays good D. It's not a common combination.

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Didn't you say before the series began that Ziaire, Melton and Tillman shouldn't even see the court in this series. You were advocating just the best 7 or 8 players and not going deeper into the bench. 

I probably said that about ZW and Tillman. I stand by it about TIllman. Was wrong about ZW, he's been ok this series.

I don't think I would've said that about Melton, I'm always ok with giving him a shot to see what happens.

But you do need to shorten your rotations in playoffs and shorten leashes.

JJJ wasn't in foul trouble last night until very end. He should've played 40 minutes. Tyus played 41. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was saying that about Tillman for sure but not Melton.  Besides i was basing it on previous series performance.   Its the playoffs so you adapt to present situation.    I also said don't play Adams in Minny series but give a look in GSW one. 

1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Honestly have no idea what Dillon is worth. Inefficient volume shooter that plays good D. It's not a common combination.

Dillon plays tough defense not necessarily good defense. He averages fewer than 30 MPG over his career because he's constantly getting into foul trouble. Good defenders slow scorers without fouling. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

yea i was  basing it on previous series performance.   Its the playoffs so you adapt to present situation.    I also said don't play Adams in Minny series but give a look in GSW one. 

So you have changed your mind AFTER seeing what Dillon did. Your 20/20 hindsight coaching is truly remarkable. You always know exactly what should have been done after what happened failed. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Dillon plays tough defense not necessarily good defense. He averages fewer than 30 MPG over his career because he's constantly getting into foul trouble. Good defenders slow scorers without fouling. 

That is an important point.  The other important point is that unlike other (better) perimeter stoppers Dillon is considered a scoring threat by opposing defenses too.       That the rare combination that makes him valuable to our team.      

It should not be difficult to sign or draft guys that can replicate or even surpass Dillon's defensive acumen.   (Honestly, Culver can easily develop into a Dillon type defender).    The difficult part is finding ones that are also respected on offense as well.   2 way wings are at a premium.   

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So you have changed your mind AFTER seeing what Dillon did. Your 20/20 hindsight coaching is truly remarkable. You always know exactly what should have been done after what happened failed. 

I updated the statement.   You were wrong (as usual) i advocated giving Melton ZW some burn during GSW series due to all of their guards. 

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I updated the statement.   You were wrong (as usual) i advocated giving Melton ZW some burn during GSW series due to all of their guards. 

After the first game? AFter the second game when Dillon was ejected? Come on GTF. You said going into the series not to play Melton or ZW or Tillman. Then when you saw how bad that advice was you changed your mind. Just admit it. 

48 minutes ago, absolutegrizzguy said:

I don't even know what we would get for him. Someone like TA9 should really call Brooks on the phone and say, "you can be an all NBA defender, but that offense thing is not for you."

I would be ready to move on from him if he cannot accept his role. No more hero ball

I agree, not sure what we could get for him!  I doubt a 1st pick?   Lakers could use someone like Brooks but he’s a liability on the offense but he could help shore up their defense.   Memphis could trade for proven veteran.

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Now this is TRUE!  But we can’t call for the Coach job!   That would be premature but Dillon Brooks on the other hand single-handedly gave us the LOSS!  Although his teammates helped, just clock or time management!   Freaking up 3 with 1:48 to go and you lose?  SMH!  Awful 

25 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yeah I've never understood why people like him so much around here. He plays physical D but he doesn't have great length or incredible lateral quickness. We've all seen what more athletic guards can do to him like what Donovan Mitchell did last year in the playoffs. Then you add in the inefficient volume shooting. 

Defense only wings are cheap and there are a lot of them out there better than Dillon. I'm pretty sure we could offer Josh Okogie a less than $5 million contract and replace Dillon's defense and then some and not have to worry about some of the other stuff that comes with DB.

I understand saving money for Ja, but let’s be realistic: if we haven’t won a championship by the time Morant’s up for a new contract, is it really even likely he’ll stay in Memphis? I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, The REF said:

Finally another person bold enough to say Jaren should also be on the hot seat. I don’t care how old he is his play style is not the best fit with Ja. I’ve been saying Ja needs a good pick and roll big that can crash the boards catch lobs in transition and the half court and not be a defensive liability while protecting the rim. You don’t need your 7’0 big to be one of your best 3 pt shooters. If Jaren was Kat. Embiid, Christian Wood, AD, Evan Mobley then I’d be fine cause those types of bigs can play both roles on offense. Just hanging around the 3pt line waiting for a pass when you can’t rebound, defend without fouling, or score in the midrange or paint is unacceptable for someone making the money he does and with the responsibility of being of of your main guys. 

Jaren is my new Marc Gasol a player who refuses to change his game for the benefit of the team and what’s needed on the court. 

Jaren 

Dillon

Melton should all be on the block the evaluation period is over it’s winning time and it’s time to fit the pieces around your best players which are Ja and Bane 

30 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What about an Al Horford or someone like his stature.   He’s provided great dividends for Boston.  He can step out and pop, defend and he might have a good 2/3 more years in him!  2 years for sure.

Another decent player would be to pick up Memphis own, Thaddeus Young might could give you more or the same as Brooks for about the same price and he plays HELLUVA SMART basketball.

32 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Spot on Chip!  

59 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dillon chucking shots is not something you live just cause he plays defense and had 8 assists a shot checker is someone that comes off the bench and you take him out when he’s not hitting its well documented that Brooks thinks he’s a main guy on the roster and is not interested in coming off the bench so therefore the FO should not be interest in giving him another contract just for his defense and inconsistent offense.

This ain’t Wallace and co. The Grizz don’t have to settle anymore they have a good track record in the draft, cap flexibility and trade assets there’s nothing holding them back if they want to make bold moves.

5 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Finally another person bold enough to say Jaren should also be on the hot seat. I don’t care how old he is his play style is not the best fit with Ja. I’ve been saying Ja needs a good pick and roll big that can crash the boards catch lobs in transition and the half court and not be a defensive liability while protecting the rim. You don’t need your 7’0 big to be one of your best 3 pt shooters. If Jaren was Kat. Embiid, Christian Wood, AD, Evan Mobley then I’d be fine cause those types of bigs can play both roles on offense. Just hanging around the 3pt line waiting for a pass when you can’t rebound, defend without fouling, or score in the midrange or paint is unacceptable for someone making the money he does and with the responsibility of being of of your main guys. 

Jaren is my new Marc Gasol a player who refuses to change his game for the benefit of the team and what’s needed on the court. 

Jaren 

Dillon

Melton should all be on the block the evaluation period is over it’s winning time and it’s time to fit the pieces around your best players which are Ja and Bane 

It's pretty wild how much better Jaren looks when Ja is out. They really don't have good chemistry and yeah Ja could really use a big with bounce, quickness, and coordination to move with him on P&Rs. JJJ just isn't a great P&R big, at least not for Ja.

I think they will be ready to move on from DB and Melton, but it's gonna be a tougher sell to ditch Jaren for a piece that fits better.