The REF

Dillon Brooks Has to Go

12 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

But there's a difference.  Ja is a hero.  Dillon is not.  Ja is so much better at creating a shot and going iso- than Dillon.  Ja led the NBA at points in the paint.  Ja's stats are 49.3%/34.4% vs Dillon's at 43.2%/30.9%.  And there are times when Dillon is just ice cold.  I agree with you about having better team ball when Ja is out.  But, I think it's more of the team that's the issue and not Ja.  When Ja has the ball, everyone pretty much stands around and watches him, like they become a spectator.  There's no movement, or screens, everybody just wants to stay out of his way, and watch what amazing thing he might do. When he's not there, it's like, "well, Ja isn't here, so I'm going to have to do something now." Late in the 4th quarter, if it's a tight game, Ja is the guy that I want taking control, not Dillon.  I still like Dillon, and he's a great player for us.  But, he has his role, and when he strays from that role too much, the team can suffer.  

Ja has pulled off the hero ball on offense far more times than Dillon ever has, but there have been a number of games we lost this season where Ja hurt us and we would've been better off if he had played more team ball.  When Ja doesn't have it (not frequently) we get nothing, no offense or defense.  When Dillon doesn't have it we at least get defensive effort.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

That sounds good until you realize we went 20-5 without Ja this season. That's winning at an 80% clip. I don't want Dillon trying to take over when Ja is out either but who else will? JJJ? He's inconsistent. Bane? Most logical choice when he's not injured. SloMo? Melton? ZW? We don't have many offensive minded players in this team so I understand why Dillon does what he does even if it backfires at times and btw, his team and coach defended his play.

We are 2 different teams with and without Ja. We are a really good offensive team with Ja and we try to outscore people with Ja's offensive aggression when when plays. When we don't have Ja, we play TEAM ball and move the ball and play not just better defense but MUCH better defense. I get frustrated when Ja "takes over". It doesn't always have good results because people stand around and watch. Now granted, the other teams can't stop him, but it takes our players out of a rhythm. I'm not big on hero ball in general but to act like Dillon is the only one who does it is disingenuous.

Dillon Brooks was a mid second round pick who has turned himself into a starter. He's not perfect and has flaws. As I said earlier, you take the good with the bad with all of these players- Dillon chucking, Ja's non existent defense, JJJ's inconsistency, etc. We are the youngest team to advance to the 2nd round in 25 years. We're young and inexperienced. I do not see any reason to single out any 1 player especially when that player helped get you here. I don't think people truly understand Dillon's defensive impact.

At the beginning of the season, we were not the team we were the rest of the season.  If you start from that Hawks game where Ja got injured, with Ja, we were 30-11.  That's 73%. That's not too different from the 80% with out him.  Also, during that first stretch that Ja was out, many teams were without their top players due to injury or COVID.  I think when you take all things into consideration, it's not as significant as it appears on the surface.  

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I have said it once, I'll say it a hundred times, Jaren is a far different player on offense when Ja isn't playing. Jaren attacks the paint consistently when Ja isn't playing, while still being a deep threat. When Ja is playing (and either Adams or Clarke are on the court), Jaren's role on offense is reduced to just standing in the corner more or less. Last night is just another example of that. 

Ja dominates the ball when he plays for better or worse. He's also constantly attacking the paint, which doesn't really allow for someone to be posting up on the block. 

I agree.  I think Jaren defers all playmaking to Ja, and only takes on the playmaking role when Ja is not playing.  It is an issue.  I think Jaren and Ja need to make a concerted effort to address this.  When Ja is in the game, Jaren needs to work for position in the middle and ask for the ball, not stand over in the corner.  Ja needs to be looking for Jaren, and give him the ball to work him into the offense as a post player, not a perimeter player.  There's not many players that can stop Jaren, so there will have to be help on Jaren, which will open up more options.  Ja doesn't have to pass it to him every time, but working him in more, will keep the defense guessing. 

21 hours ago, The REF said:

That's all people were saying!

If you package Dillion Brooks + Jaren Jackson (TRIP) + a 1st for Anthony Davis.

Anybody else like this trade proposal.

Tell me you love LeBron without telling me you love LeBron.

21 hours ago, The REF said:

That's all people were saying!

If you package Dillion Brooks + Jaren Jackson (TRIP) + a 1st for Anthony Davis.

Anybody else like this trade proposal.

HELLLLLL NO. 

17 hours ago, King Dork said:

So what you’re saying is Ja who plays in the paint, would benefit from another teammate standing in the paint 🤔🤯

Exactly.

Dillon Brooks:

“I’m my worst critic. I know I’m playing like trash, I know I’m not shooting the 3 well, but I’m trying to do all the little things… DB gonna be still here on the defensive end trying to minimize points from their best players.”

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Dillon Brooks:

“I’m my worst critic. I know I’m playing like trash, I know I’m not shooting the 3 well, but I’m trying to do all the little things… DB gonna be still here on the defensive end trying to minimize points from their best players.”

No, he's still not self-aware. 

Nobody wants him to shoot 3 after 3. He sees himself as an offensive AND defensive dynamo when we only need his defense. 

27 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I’d be ecstatic if he shifted to a six man role, he could lead the bench unit and beef up the offense 

This does not really solve the problem. 

He'll just shoot every shot because he's on the second unit. Obstacle to the flow of the offense and his efficiency will be even worse while is the problem to begin with, his low efficiency on offense. 

9 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

This does not really solve the problem. 

He'll just shoot every shot because he's on the second unit. Obstacle to the flow of the offense and his efficiency will be even worse while is the problem to begin with, his low efficiency on offense. 

He should be able to score easier vs second units. Also a lot of what you said is speculative 

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Dillon Brooks:

At least he's acknowledged it 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, The REF said:

wow you wouldn’t want AD?  29 years old 

AD played only 40 games this season

Last season he played 36…

I've spent so many hours trying to think about possible trades to make us better.  They are few and far between mainly because our team is so good and in order to upgrade a starting position you are talking about trading for a superstar.  And superstars are only available when they decide to be available.  So unless Kawhi, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Jokic, Kevin Durant or Lebron James decide they want to join the Grizzlies there really isn't much we can do to upgrade the starting lineup.  Even upgrading the reserves would be pretty hard too.  I think we probably stand pretty much pat this offseason unless someone big time becomes available.

34 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

I've spent so many hours trying to think about possible trades to make us better.  They are few and far between mainly because our team is so good and in order to upgrade a starting position you are talking about trading for a superstar.  And superstars are only available when they decide to be available.  So unless Kawhi, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Jokic, Kevin Durant or Lebron James decide they want to join the Grizzlies there really isn't much we can do to upgrade the starting lineup.  Even upgrading the reserves would be pretty hard too.  I think we probably stand pretty much pat this offseason unless someone big time becomes available.

Some friendly advice, don't waste any more time trying to come up with trades.  FO won't be soliciting your suggestions.  

Just now, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Some friendly advice, don't waste any more time trying to come up with trades.  FO won't be soliciting your suggestions.  

It's fun tho

42 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Ok, if you're having fun do it, go right ahead.  That's good clean fun that doesn't hurt anyone.  

It hurts my feelings 😪 

11 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

We have the most flexibility of any team still playing this summer. Not sure why you listed the guys on the wrong side of 30 as examples. We are in prime position if we desired to make a Big trade for a 2nd option. 

Wtf is he doing. Bricked two threes and ran to an imaginary player in the corner and left klay wide open. 0 basketball iq 

1 minute ago, bhoyal said:

Brooks with 18 at the half.  Our only player in double figures.

Surprisingly