The REF

Dillon Brooks Has to Go

4 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I’m not a “fanboy” of anyone it ain’t that crucial but I have all the right to be critical of a player the same way you have the right to defend him.

I’ve long stated that Ja would benefit much more from a big man that plays inside out than from a big man that plays pro dominantly outside.

Evan Mobley is the closet example of the type of player I’m referencing. Jaren is a big man that plays like a 3-D wing. 

PERFECT example!  Thank you  Ndq0327

20 minutes ago, The REF said:

But that's when you TRADE a player crazy, you don't wait until they 40, or 50 years old.  (ok, I'm being funny right there), but you get the best value now.  Jaren has reached his ceiling, it's time to JETTISON him now.

22 years old, no drive to get better, reckless on the court, take ill-advise shots, plays out of position, a liability on defense, foul, foul, foul, man move this GUY as soon as you can.

Those critiques are basically 85% made up.   Yes we all know and rightfully criticize his fouling. Everything else you said was just words. 

9 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

It’s weird how some of y’all think Jaren and Dillon can fix their bad habits they have had their entire career but that ZW can’t improve his game enough to justify giving him Dillons role when he has actually shown improvement since the beginning of the year.

ZW starting next season 

2 hours ago, The REF said:

Where do you rank him? Top 10?  lol.   He's not even a Top 15 player, what are you talking about.

He’s a top 10 defensive player. He’s a complete game changer. And if he ever gets he’s fouls under control he will win defensive player of the year . You just don’t value defense 

4 hours ago, The REF said:

That's all people were saying!

If you package Dillion Brooks + Jaren Jackson (TRIP) + a 1st for Anthony Davis.

Anybody else like this trade proposal.

He🏒🏒 no

4 hours ago, The REF said:

But that's when you TRADE a player crazy, you don't wait until they 40, or 50 years old.  (ok, I'm being funny right there), but you get the best value now.  Jaren has reached his ceiling, it's time to JETTISON him now.

22 years old, no drive to get better, reckless on the court, take ill-advise shots, plays out of position, a liability on defense, foul, foul, foul, man move this GUY as soon as you can.

A 22 year old has reached his ceiling? 

Even if he has, he’s a DPOY big who can’t be played off the court in the playoffs and has shown an ability to shoot 3s. You tryna trade that???? Get outta here with that noise. I ride for Jaren, even if he frustrates me sometimes. I support Dillon, but for next season we gotta upgrade the wing. 

9 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I’m not a “fanboy” of anyone it ain’t that crucial but I have all the right to be critical of a player the same way you have the right to defend him.

I’ve long stated that Ja would benefit much more from a big man that plays inside out than from a big man that plays pro dominantly outside.

Evan Mobley is the closet example of the type of player I’m referencing. Jaren is a big man that plays like a 3-D wing. 

So what you’re saying is Ja who plays in the paint, would benefit from another teammate standing in the paint 🤔🤯

21 minutes ago, King Dork said:

A 22 year old has reached his ceiling? 

Even if he has, he’s a DPOY big who can’t be played off the court in the playoffs and has shown an ability to shoot 3s. You tryna trade that???? Get outta here with that noise. I ride for Jaren, even if he frustrates me sometimes. I support Dillon, but for next season we gotta upgrade the wing. 

I was thinking a 3 team deal to move Brooks for Osman  and 14th pick would be a solid move. But would need a team to possibly absorb Osman if we go that route. 

45 minutes ago, King Dork said:

So what you’re saying is Ja who plays in the paint, would benefit from another teammate standing in the paint 🤔🤯

No he would benefit from a teammate  he could play off of in the PnR if the majority of what Jaren does is pick n pop then that’s easily defensible. But as I’ve said multiple times it be nice if he could play more inside out meaning sometimes he actually rolls and catches lobs or slips the screen for a quick dunk in pass. Or a mid range pop where he takes the shot from the elbows. A more versatile two man game. 

However since Jaren doesn’t even set good pics to begin with a lot of those things are a moot point. It would be nice if the supposed best two players on the team could isolate and run a 2 man game that would be hard for the defense to stop because of Ja’s threat at the rim and Jaren’s threat from inside all the way out to the 3 but that’s not his game. 

5 hours ago, The REF said:

Anthony Davis?

That's laughable, he always injured and broken down.

And the Lakers be saying "thank you very much" they'd be dying to get off Davis, after they trade LBJ because sure as hell nobody wants Westbrook

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Anthony Davis?

That's laughable, he always injured and broken down.

And the Lakers be saying "thank you very much" they'd be dying to get off Davis, after they trade LBJ because sure as hell nobody wants Westbrook

wow you wouldn’t want AD?  29 years old 

Anthony Davis, + JA, + Bane 

Thats a nice team to build around!

You’re crazy if you don’t make that trade!

AD gets injured, EVERY season. I like this team as is. I'd just like Jaren to make less fouls, be more consistent. same goes for Bane and Dillon. They need to grow, get more playoffs basketball under their belts. Playoffs basketball is just radically different from regular season and they are learning, it's a learning curve. And no offense, but they blew the Warriors of the court in game 5, let's see what happens game 6. I still like the Grizz in 7.

10 hours ago, The REF said:

🤣🤣🤣 Are you a Laker's fan? 

Why not make it 3 firsts? 

20 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Just more excuses like I said give me Mobley for Jaren and I’d do it.

In 78 games this season Jaren had 7 double digit rebounding games

In 69 games this season Mobley had 21 double digit rebounding games 

In 56 games this season Jarret Allen the Center for Cleveland had 33 double digit rebounding games

So that mean playing mostly PF Mobley had 3 times as many 10+ rebounding games as a rookie 

So forgive me if I’m not all that interested in the stats of how rare it is to average a measly 8-10 rebounds a game for a big man in the nba.

Sticking with Cleveland Jaren is basically Laurie Markkanen that can protect the rim 

https://stathead.com/tiny/Zm8e8

Idk if a shot blocking Markkanen is someone the fans would call a pillar of their franchise but that’s about what he sums up to. 

Sad commentary

On 5/10/2022 at 7:02 PM, Teddy.B said:

No it is not. 

Hero-Ball is not team ball. 

Dillon should play singles Tennis not team sports. 

Ja plays hero ball all of the time. Despite his jaw dropping dunks and amazing point totals, we play better team ball without Ja. I don't even know how anyone can dispute this. We have better ball movement, more players are involved and our defense is way better. I'm not saying get rid of Ja by any means but to criticize Dillon for "hero ball: is hilarious because Ja does it all of the time and a lot of times, it takes other players out of the game.  

19 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Ja plays hero ball all of the time. Despite his jaw dropping dunks and amazing point totals, we play better team ball without Ja. I don't even know how anyone can dispute this. We have better ball movement, more players are involved and our defense is way better. I'm not saying get rid of Ja by any means but to criticize Dillon for "hero ball: is hilarious because Ja does it all of the time and a lot of times, it takes other players out of the game.  

Who's disputing this? 

Go look at the Ja Diagnosis thread. 

Go see what I wrote. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Whaaaaat!???  You can't say that about the golden child!  It doesn't matter that his defense is mostly non-existent or that he gets near triple-doubles with turnovers being one of the categories.  He is the most exciting player in the NBA (I really think he is) and therefore exempt from any criticism!

Ja gets a pass around here because he is the first real superstar the team has ever had, so I understand it.  Fans here have hungered for that for a very long time, but if we want to truly be objective he should not be above criticism either.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Whaaaaat!???  You can't say that about the golden child!  It doesn't matter that his defense is mostly non-existent or that he gets near triple-doubles with turnovers being one of the categories.  He is the most exciting player in the NBA (I really think he is) and therefore exempt from any criticism!

Ja gets a pass around here because he is the first real superstar the team has ever had, so I understand it.  Fans here have hungered for that for a very long time, but if we want to truly be objective he should not be above criticism either.

Agreed,    Ja is also so young that there is no reason why he can't address his weaknesses going forward.    If the issue with his defense is due to him expending so much effort on offense.  Then i am fine with lower his usage rate so he can give more effort on defense.    There is no reason a guy that athletically gifted is so bad at defense.        

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

But there's a difference.  Ja is a hero.  Dillon is not.  Ja is so much better at creating a shot and going iso- than Dillon.  Ja led the NBA at points in the paint.  Ja's stats are 49.3%/34.4% vs Dillon's at 43.2%/30.9%.  And there are times when Dillon is just ice cold.  I agree with you about having better team ball when Ja is out.  But, I think it's more of the team that's the issue and not Ja.  When Ja has the ball, everyone pretty much stands around and watches him, like they become a spectator.  There's no movement, or screens, everybody just wants to stay out of his way, and watch what amazing thing he might do. When he's not there, it's like, "well, Ja isn't here, so I'm going to have to do something now." Late in the 4th quarter, if it's a tight game, Ja is the guy that I want taking control, not Dillon.  I still like Dillon, and he's a great player for us.  But, he has his role, and when he strays from that role too much, the team can suffer.  

2 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

But there's a difference.  Ja is a hero.  Dillon is not.  Ja is so much better at creating a shot and going iso- than Dillon.  Ja led the NBA at points in the paint.  Ja's stats are 49.3%/34.4% vs Dillon's at 43.2%/30.9%.  And there are times when Dillon is just ice cold.  I agree with you about having better team ball when Ja is out.  But, I think it's more of the team that's the issue and not Ja.  When Ja has the ball, everyone pretty much stands around and watches him, like they become a spectator.  There's no movement, or screens, everybody just wants to stay out of his way, and watch what amazing thing he might do. When he's not there, it's like, "well, Ja isn't here, so I'm going to have to do something now." Late in the 4th quarter, if it's a tight game, Ja is the guy that I want taking control, not Dillon.  I still like Dillon, and he's a great player for us.  But, he has his role, and when he strays from that role too much, the team can suffer.  

That sounds good until you realize we went 20-5 without Ja this season. That's winning at an 80% clip. I don't want Dillon trying to take over when Ja is out either but who else will? JJJ? He's inconsistent. Bane? Most logical choice when he's not injured. SloMo? Melton? ZW? We don't have many offensive minded players in this team so I understand why Dillon does what he does even if it backfires at times and btw, his team and coach defended his play.

We are 2 different teams with and without Ja. We are a really good offensive team with Ja and we try to outscore people with Ja's offensive aggression when when plays. When we don't have Ja, we play TEAM ball and move the ball and play not just better defense but MUCH better defense. I get frustrated when Ja "takes over". It doesn't always have good results because people stand around and watch. Now granted, the other teams can't stop him, but it takes our players out of a rhythm. I'm not big on hero ball in general but to act like Dillon is the only one who does it is disingenuous.

Dillon Brooks was a mid second round pick who has turned himself into a starter. He's not perfect and has flaws. As I said earlier, you take the good with the bad with all of these players- Dillon chucking, Ja's non existent defense, JJJ's inconsistency, etc. We are the youngest team to advance to the 2nd round in 25 years. We're young and inexperienced. I do not see any reason to single out any 1 player especially when that player helped get you here. I don't think people truly understand Dillon's defensive impact.

15 hours ago, King Dork said:

I have said it once, I'll say it a hundred times, Jaren is a far different player on offense when Ja isn't playing. Jaren attacks the paint consistently when Ja isn't playing, while still being a deep threat. When Ja is playing (and either Adams or Clarke are on the court), Jaren's role on offense is reduced to just standing in the corner more or less. Last night is just another example of that. 

Ja dominates the ball when he plays for better or worse. He's also constantly attacking the paint, which doesn't really allow for someone to be posting up on the block.