chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ Golden State Warriors Game 4- 5/9/22

One thing I always see on these boards is moving off defensive players.  Trade Dillon, package him with Melton, let Kyle walk and get a shooter.  Some have even suggested trading Jaren.  If we did these things I wonder if we would make the playoffs at all. 

After having slept on it and re-watch I have lost some of the anger toward Dillon....but gained it toward Coach.

Dillon just plays and does what Dillon does.

We all knew after it was announced Ja was out that Dillon was gonna try to play hero.

Coach had to know too. He should have been prepared to deal with Dillon but as last night shows, he either won't or can't.

If ZW breaks the offense and takes bad shots he gets yanked. If Melton or BC struggle they get benched. Somehow Dillon is given free reign to do whatever he feels.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

One thing I always see on these boards is moving off defensive players.  Trade Dillon, package him with Melton, let Kyle walk and get a shooter.  Some have even suggested trading Jaren.  If we did these things I wonder if we would make the playoffs at all. 

But you have to move someone at some point.  Brooks been here 5 years and what’s our results?

5 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Didn't they go to the NBA finals and lose to Miami? 

I had forgotten about that, but that team was a major disappointment. They drafted 3 future MVPs and never got a ring. 

15 minutes ago, KyleB said:

What makes you think he will ask for more than he is worth? The deal he is on now is a fair deal for him and for the team and it was a fairly easy negotiation, at least from the outside looking in. There was no drama, no sending messages via the media, they offered him a fair deal and he signed it. I remember at the time people around here were expecting to have to pay him a lot more than it ended up being.

Well that was really tongue and cheek, I'm just referring to his over inflated sense of value... 

You can't have a Jordan mindset without having the Jordan skillset... if so, you just end up with a bunch of bad missed shots.

2 minutes ago, The REF said:

But you have to move someone at some point.  Brooks been here 5 years and what’s our results?

Probably better than next season if we let all our defense go.

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I love defensive players, every team needs that guy... BUT that guy has to know he is the defensive player and not get confused and think he is the go to guy on offense.

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I loved Tony Allen but if he had insisted on shooting 20 times a game I would have been the first in line to promote a trade... you have to know your role and if you can't except that role then it's time to move on.

15 minutes ago, trayhezy said:

After having slept on it and re-watch I have lost some of the anger toward Dillon....but gained it toward Coach.

We all knew after it was announced Ja was out that Dillon was gonna try to play hero.

Coach had to know too. He should have been prepared to deal with Dillon but as last night shows, he either won't or can't.

If ZW breaks the offense and takes bad shots he gets yanked. If Melton or BC struggle they get benched. Somehow Dillon is given free reign to do whatever he feels.

I was more mad at Coach than Dillon during and after the game.  Everyone and their Mama knows that Dillon cannot control himself.   That is the coaches job to reign his players in or CALL A TIMEOUT to run a play.   

Jenkins treats Dillon more like the Foundational player than he does Jaren.    Ja and Dillon are only guys on team that have ZERO leash.   FO is gonna have to save Jenkins from himself once again; but i think its kinda ridiculous that FO has to step in so much to save the Coach (IE Grayson Allen).   

Letting Dillon be Dillon can be a double-edged sword, last year in the play-in games against the Spurs and then the Warriors it worked, this year it didn't.

11 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jenkins owns this L.     Refusal to challenge anything or calm down his players or lean on his best lineups.   Dude seriously still thinks this is a regular season game.  

If I was NBA commish, any time a 3pt shooter intentionally fell down after being barely touched, I would make it automatically a no call.  Even if there was a legitimate foul, still a no call.  You want your foul, be a grown @$$ man and stay on your feet, and not a feeble geriatric person that falls down when the wind blows too strongly.  On these egregious flops like Curry where you scream and flail around, automatic technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior.  I'd have an official that was constantly reviewing footage in case something wasn't caught in real time.  That would straighten things out real quick.  

1 minute ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

If I was NBA commish, any time a 3pt shooter intentionally fell down after being barely touched, I would make it automatically a no call.  Even if there was a legitimate foul, still a no call.  You want your foul, be a grown @$$ man and stay on your feet, and not a feeble geriatric person that falls down when the wind blows too strongly.  On these egregious flops like Curry where you scream and flail around, automatic technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior.  I'd have an official that was constantly reviewing footage in case something wasn't caught in real time.  That would straighten things out real quick.  

We basically got that same call when Ja flopped on the rebound over Draymond Green in the game we won.  Curry knew this. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We basically got that same call when Ja flopped on the rebound over Draymond Green in the game we won.  Curry knew this. 

I want it all gone.  I don't care if someone on our team did it too.  

Outcoached in yet another series.    Is this some new age player development stuff going on?  Cuz I swear TJ luvs handicapping his own players every game with his lineup decisions. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Outcoached in yet another series.    Is this some new age player development stuff going on?  Cuz I swear TJ luvs handicapping his own players every game with his lineup decisions. 

Because he predetermines his lineups?

He did yank melton though (who I thought was halfway ok, at least defensively). Do other teams coaches spend so much time looking at their rotation sheets?

1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Because he predetermines his lineups?

He did yank melton though (who I thought was halfway ok, at least defensively). Do other teams coaches spend so much time looking at their rotation sheets?

Yes In Little League.  To make sure everyone gets a turn.  

2 hours ago, grizlsg said:

I love defensive players, every team needs that guy... BUT that guy has to know he is the defensive player and not get confused and think he is the go to guy on offense.

I don't want to pile on Dillon.  I love his passion, his hustle, his spirit, and his defensive intensity.  I doubt doubt one bit his commitment to the team and his teammates.  Against the Jazz last playoffs, and in some games this year, those shots were falling.  Last night they weren't.  His biggest weakness is not realizing, or thinking he can work through it, when his shot is off.  Sometimes you have to concede you don't have it, and just play facilitator and get it to the person that has the hot hand.  There's a half dozen or more things that cost us the game last night:  Dillon's shot selection, Jaren going 0-7 from 3, Slow Mo's FT shooting, careless turnovers, bad calls such as Wiggins charge, Jenkins' inability to utilize coach's challenge.  

It was amazing to see the difference that having Adams brought to both sides of the court.  So much more than Tillman.  Adams played really well.  I have no idea why Jenkins didn't play him on Saturday ( I know it wouldn't have changed the outcome, especially with how well they were shooting).  I think it was the smart move to bench him vs the Timberwolves, but GS doesn't have anyone like Towns or Edwards.  Adams did really well on defense last night.  He was a big factor in getting us to the #2 best record in the league, and it was stupid to go away from that when he became available.  

1 hour ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

It's the biggest issue in the NBA.  Hockey has a penalty for embellishment.  It wouldn't be that hard for the NBA to eliminate,  but honestly I don't think they want to.  

And yes, we've benefited from some of the same stuff.  I'd be ****** if we didn't- the way it is now if you don't sell calls you're at a dramatic disadvantage.  But the game would be so much better if that nonsense were eliminated.  

5 hours ago, The REF said:

Why didn’t Memphis keep Patrick Beverly when we had him for the low or on a cheap deal?

Young impressionable on the rise team …

Pat Bev 

hmmm

5 hours ago, The REF said:

Why didn’t Memphis keep Patrick Beverly when we had him for the low or on a cheap deal?

Just not their template at the time. And they are probably still not at the point that vet depth is of interest to them this coming year. That's why Jae Crowder got shipped out, even though he had good chemistry with Ja.

1 hour ago, ScottyJ said:

It's the biggest issue in the NBA.  Hockey has a penalty for embellishment.  It wouldn't be that hard for the NBA to eliminate,  but honestly I don't think they want to.  

And yes, we've benefited from some of the same stuff.  I'd be ****** if we didn't- the way it is now if you don't sell calls you're at a dramatic disadvantage.  But the game would be so much better if that nonsense were eliminated.  

As I said earlier, the only way to control it is by taking money out of player's checks. The league won't put in a rule where NBA refs get hamstrung into not calling phantom fouls when they are ready to. 

And it's such a big issue because it still works in-game. You have to review it after the fact and vacuum player's wallets to get it to stop, with increasing fines when players keep doing it.

I believe you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this flopping BS. Real stars in the NBA don't have to flop. 

Image result for lebron james flop gifSee the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Not on my part, I love defensive players who play discipline offense. 

They don't have to be flashy and get 20 if they can lock down the perimeter. 

I'd trade Dillon for Herb Jones straight up this off season. 

9 hours ago, trayhezy said:

+1 We all know Dillon, he will never change. When he start to act stupid, it's the coach responsability to sit him and talk to him.