chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors - Game 1

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: 2:30 PM Sunday, May 1

Memphis Grizzlies vs Golden State Warriors

Television: NBALP | Bally SportsSouth | ESPN

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: Growl Towels

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Desmond Bane Dillon Brooks Jaren Jackson Steven Adams
Ja Morant Desmond Bane Dillon Brooks Jaren Jackson Jr. Steven Adams

Warriors Starting 5

Jordan Poole Steph Curry Andrew Wiggins Draymond Green Kevin Looney
Jordan Poole Stephen Curry Andrew Wiggins Draymond Green Kevon Looney

Benches

Memphis GrizzliesSanti Aldama, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Clarke (INJ), Jarrett Culver, John Konchar, De'Anthony Melton, Ja Morant, Yves Pons (2), Tyrell Terry (2), Killian Tillie (2), Xavier Tillman, Ziaire Williams (INJ)

Golden State: Nemanja Bjelica, Chris Chiozza, Jeff Dowtin, Andre Iguodala, Jonathan Kuminga, Damion Lee, Moses Moody, Gary Payton II. Otto Porter Jr, Klay Thompson,  Juan Toscana-Anderson, James Wiseman

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Warriors: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

The team has now achieved a baseline goal of a round 1 playoff series win.

We now playing with house money as the big underdog in this series.

Hopefully Ja will be more relaxed now, and deliver what he has done all season long

Here we GO! 

True test vs true playoff battled vets. 

We going to learn ALOT about who we are as a team. 

Who is playoff material and who fizzles. 

16 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Hopefully Ja will be more relaxed now, and deliver what he has done all season long

Agreed on all counts. It's all gravy from here on out this postseason. I'm glad our players don't have that mindset, though.

Speaking of house money - we do have homecourt. If we can just defend it, we're in the WCF. This GSW team is going to be a different animal from the one we've been doing so well against here lately. But hopefully many of us are right in thinking their style will allow us to play our style more than we were able to in the Wolves series. Like Ja likes to say, we just need to worry about ourselves.

You're right, we'll be coming out as the underdogs. I hope our guys lean into that, because for our team, that can become a motivation. 

We need Ja to show up big this series. Wolves had him locked up. Hopefully this will be a better series for Jaren as well.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

That’s more so based on how the Warriors choose to defend this series. The T-Wolves whole game plan was don’t let Ja beat us, Ja saw 3 or 4 T-Wolves jerseys on every drive. Fortunately for us we have some good wings and some good bigs who were able to capitalize. 

If the Warriors key in on Ja the same way I expect him to have another series where his assist numbers are high and his shots per game are low. 

The key either way they choose to play it is Jaren staying out of foul trouble. The Jaren/BC front court will be critical in this next series. 

I think one of the biggest matchups in this series will be Clarke vs Wiggins, really on both ends. Will Clarke be able to stay in front of him? Will Wiggins be able to keep Clarke off the glass? 

I assume closing lineups will be Curry, Poole (or Payton), Klay, Wiggins, and Draymond vs Ja, Bane, Dillon, Clarke, Jaren. I think we will have the rebounding edge, as Jaren has a serious length advantage and Brandon has been fantastic on the glass. They should have the 3 point shooting edge, but we should have an advantage in the paint with Ja and Clarke being better than anyone they have in the paint. 

It'll be a very interesting one to watch, as it is two very contrasting styles. Jaren was a difference maker in the last regular season matchup against them, as he really turned tide in the 4th quarter. Ja's defense has to be good, because he'll be matched up with a Bona fide scorer. The Warriors still go into massive scoring droughts for some reason, so we have to take advantage when they do. 

2 hours ago, King Dork said:

That’s more so based on how the Warriors choose to defend this series. The T-Wolves whole game plan was don’t let Ja beat us, Ja saw 3 or 4 T-Wolves jerseys on every drive. Fortunately for us we have some good wings and some good bigs who were able to capitalize. 

If the Warriors key in on Ja the same way I expect him to have another series where his assist numbers are high and his shots per game are low. 

The key either way they choose to play it is Jaren staying out of foul trouble. The Jaren/BC front court will be critical in this next series. 

Yes and no.

I'm sure Kerr and the Warriors coaching staff will review our series and try to replicate the strategies that nullified Ja. But none of their starting court defends like Beverley. That shook Ja. So I think, if he isn't injured, he should be much more of a factor on offense. What is he gonna do guarding Curry?

I expect Des is going to have a much tougher time, with Klay, and his size all over him. We'll see how this matchup pans out. Des might struggle in the series.

Jaren just not gotta get sucked in to fouling Green. He has a good matchup here but he has to play smart because Green is gonna be physical and is gonna play cunning.

I hope Adams can be back by game 2 or 3, but I'm preparing for at least game 4 before he returns.

3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yes and no.

I'm sure Kerr and the Warriors coaching staff will review our series and try to replicate the strategies that nullified Ja. But none of their starting court defends like Beverley. That shook Ja. So I think, if he isn't injured, he should be much more of a factor on offense. What is he gonna do guarding Curry?

I expect Des is going to have a much tougher time, with Klay, and his size all over him. We'll see how this matchup pans out. Des might struggle in the series.

Jaren just not gotta get sucked in to fouling Green. He has a good matchup here but he has to play smart because Green is gonna be physical and is gonna play cunning.

I hope Adams can be back by game 2 or 3, but I'm preparing for at least game 4 before he returns.

I do agree that the Warriors strength defensively isn’t their guards like Minnesota’s was. Ja should have more opportunities, but I also feel like he’s primarily going to make whatever the right play is because he trusts his teammates. I think we’re seeing his maturation into a CP3 type winner, he’s reading the game at an elite level right now. Hope his scoring can catch up to that. 

Also, can somebody talk to coach and tell him start BC?? Ja, Tyus, Bane, Dillon, Kyle, BC and Jaren + Steve-o when he gets back are the only dudes who should touch the court. Might throw in a Ziaire or Jitty for 10 or so minutes, maybe you throw Melton out there game 1 to see if he’s ready for this series, but in the front court I think it’s cut and dry. There should only be 4 “bigs” getting any minutes and X ain’t one of them. 

10 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I do agree that the Warriors strength defensively isn’t their guards like Minnesota’s was. Ja should have more opportunities, but I also feel like he’s primarily going to make whatever the right play is because he trusts his teammates. I think we’re seeing his maturation into a CP3 type winner, he’s reading the game at an elite level right now. Hope his scoring can catch up to that. 

Also, can somebody talk to coach and tell him start BC?? Ja, Tyus, Bane, Dillon, Kyle, BC and Jaren + Steve-o when he gets back are the only dudes who should touch the court. Might throw in a Ziaire or Jitty for 10 or so minutes, maybe you throw Melton out there game 1 to see if he’s ready for this series, but in the front court I think it’s cut and dry. There should only be 4 “bigs” getting any minutes and X ain’t one of them. 

Yeah I agree, X had one good performance in the series, but was basically a non-factor for the rest, although he was good against the Warriors last year in the play-in

it’s a disservice to the number 2 seed in the west to end their first series on the road and have only 30 something hours before round 2 starts. but….is what it is. our trainers going to be working hard today. get us ready!

slim. 

Just now, memphis slim said:

it’s a disservice to the number 2 seed in the west to end their first series on the road and have only 30 something hours before round 2 starts. but….is what it is. our trainers going to be working hard today. get us ready!

slim. 

We at least had an extra day off before our last two games I believe. Hoping that helps. 

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah I agree, X had one good performance in the series, but was basically a non-factor for the rest, although he was good against the Warriors last year in the play-in

He's certainly not a bad matchup against Draymond, but Adams is more effective in the same role, particularly given that the Warriors bigs aren't dynamic on offense (in fact not good at all on offense). Adams being effective on the glass would go a long way in this series. 

I hope when Adams gets out of HSP, and if he's a better matchup to play vs. The Warriors, he can provide those invaluable screens that allows Ja to get in the paint easier.

53 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

Truly, this scheduling is baffling. Mavs and Suns don’t play until Monday…despite both their series ending a day earlier than ours?! To top it off, we couldn’t even get a later game on Sunday? And then we have three full days between games 2 and 3?

oh well - maybe we roll into Sunday afternoons game in a rhythm and then Adams can be back by Game 3 to throw a different look at the Warriors. 

Excited to see us measure up against the Warriors, who I think outside of the Celtics have looked the best this postseason so far. 

My prediction for this series is that for us to win, Melton will have to get back into the rotation and hit shots. In several of the games against the Warriors this year, his disruptive defense and shooting was among the key factors in the wins.  

The Warriors won't beat themselves like the Wolves did. We have to play with a lead or keep it close and respond and maintain composure when they go on their inevitable Warriorsian runs.  It's going to happen. They'll have these electric plays and get their building excited. It's how we respond to them that will determine whether we win. 

I believe Steph will get his, but if we can contain Poole, we have a shot. We can't allow three of their players to have huge games each game. Maybe 2 of the three. Also....Draymond isn't a factor offensively. We can hide our weaker defenders on him when we go small. 

Two key points to remember ahead of this series.

The Warriors are the 2nd team with most turnovers in the NBA.

The Grizzlies are the team that forces the most turnovers in the NBA.

That is all.

7 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yes and no.

Dillon guarded Curry last year.

7 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

They messed up and made us the underdog again. Jenkins needs to post this in the locker room. Let's shock them again, put an end to the Warriors for good 

Yup. But I’m glad they did. They can keep doing it. I hope everyone from ESPN, except Perk, picks the Warriors to win too.