Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrizzliesIQYO

Iverson says ...if he can't start he'll retire

I told u guys he would not tarnish his legacy by coming off the bench. Source: real gm. I would still like him on this team. I will say it again . We have no chemistry to break. We had 24 wins with losses to the thunder , t wolves, kings , and clippers.

YO

I told u guys he would not tarnish his legacy by coming off the bench. Source: real gm. I would still like him on this team. I will say it again . We have no chemistry to break. We had 24 wins with losses to the thunder , t wolves, kings , and clippers.

YO

Looks like he's gonna be retired then!

Oh well, his flame blew out years ago.

His name will only attract so many people you know. Folks aren't checking for this guy like they were some years ago.

Add him to the team.

Guess it can't get any worse.

Or can it?........

Well, so much for that. Enjoy your $0 paycheck, Allen. That's a lot of money to lose in the name of protecting your apparently fragile ego.

Who was the forumer who said that Iverson 'came to us telling us that he wants to come off the bench'? I forget where I even read that. I'd still love to know where he heard that or if he was making it all up.

Well, so much for that. Enjoy your $0 paycheck, Allen. That's a lot of money to lose in the name of protecting your apparently fragile ego.

Who was the forumer who said that Iverson 'came to us telling us that he wants to come off the bench'? I forget where I even read that. I'd still love to know where he heard that or if he was making it all up.

Grizzfan79 said tillery said it on the radio. I think iverson's agent has Been speaking for him up till this point. Out of 29 teams in the NBA .., I'm sure someone will start him and pay him a decent amount of money.

YO

YO

The Grizz also finished with a better record then those teams also, so they must have won some games they were not supposed to. It is sad that Iverson's ego is getting in the way. He would have been perfect coming off the bench and providing instant O. I think the Bobcats are really the only team in the league that would start him but no really sure they would give him the money he wants.

Maybe he'll go for his "second" choice, Miami.

He can take D.Wade's starting position while he's somewhere filming those corny t mobile commercials.

I officially back off my pro-AI stance.

YO, AI.....you can't call the team and call the shots too.

Say hello to Mermaid Man and Barnicle Boy for me.

Iverson(to me)seems more dangerous to a team than Randolph.Look at the Nuggs with and without Iverson,not to mention the Pistons.All the teams in the running for a championship are adding pieces,but youre not seeing AI's name anywhere.It seems the only option AI prefers is the one where he is the focal point of the team,where everything goes through him.AI might have been good for us a couple of seasons ago when we still had Pau,but now,if you added him...you are essentially changing the whole dynamic of your team to accommodate a player that only seems to be concerned with himself....still.I could see him fitting in with Charlotte,but not too much else...no one wants to upend their team for a 34 year-old player who really hasnt accomplished anything.So as long as he keeps his current stance,I guess retirement is in his near future.

The idea that anybody here thinks Conley > Iverson is insane to me.

The idea that anybody getting paid to work in the basketball business would think that is something worse.

you cant build a team with MCjr/OJ/Rudy. Conley is the weak link.

I dont understand how you pass on AI for ticket and jersey sales and use Conley as trade bait giving AI a 2 year deal.

You inject some money into the team, it fits with randolphs contract length so you get rid of them both at the same time, and buys you time to finish building the team while being entertaining. The cons to signing AI are serious. I think the pros just barely out weigh them though. Conley needs to be traded, Ai could start and if you could sign him for 2 years thatd be awesome. the next 2 years are destroyed with Randolph anyway, you gotta make this move.

The idea that anybody getting paid to work in the basketball business would think that is something worse.

I dont understand how you pass on AI for ticket and jersey sales and use Conley as trade bait giving AI a 2 year deal.

You inject some money into the team, it fits with randolphs contract length so you get rid of them both at the same time, and buys you time to finish building the team while being entertaining. The cons to signing AI are serious. I think the pros just barely out weigh them though. Conley needs to be traded, Ai could start and if you could sign him for 2 years thatd be awesome. the next 2 years are destroyed with Randolph anyway, you gotta make this move.

So you want to put Iverson in Conley's place with his five shots a game shooting 41%? Iverson is scorer, not a facilitator. I don't see how there could be enough basektballs on the court for AI, Mayo, Gay, and Randolph. Its not about AI being better than Conley. Its about roles on a team.

Its also about getting talent that increases value vs getting talent that depreciates.

You want to get AI who would probably put us in a worse position to acquire talent, while not contending for a title, taking shots for OJ, AND the whole while depreciating his value and the value of the team

No thanks.

Valid points....I would still be worried about team chemistry and growth,but no more so than I am with Randolph.I could be talked into this...I would maybe keep Conley(bench) and explore trading Rudy for a defensive-minded SF who could knock down the three,or rotate Carroll and Young(@ SF) and trade him for something else.I like Rudy,but having him,Iverson,and Randolph scares me defensively.I could take a chance on this...hard not to considering the past 3 seasons.

I dont think people are really saying Conley is better than AI, its just that he fits a whole lot better. Conley is a distributor with a developing offensive game and good 3 point shot. Look at how the nuggets turned it around after they got a pg who knew when and when not to shoot. AI takes way too many shots to be in the starting line up with Mayo, Gay, and Randolph. I think alot of posters here are thinking of Philadelphia AI with him stepping over Tyron Lue in the finals. He is pretty much washed up now.

Valid points....I would still be worried about team chemistry and growth,but no more so than I am with Randolph.I could be talked into this...I would maybe keep Conley(bench) and explore trading Rudy for a defensive-minded SF who could knock down the three,or rotate Carroll and Young(@ SF) and trade him for something else.I like Rudy,but having him,Iverson,and Randolph scares me defensively.I could take a chance on this...hard not to considering the past 3 seasons.

So now you basically want to trade Conley and Gay for an aging AI and a defensive 3?

So now you basically want to trade Conley and Gay for an aging AI and a defensive 3?

No...more than anything Im just openly speculating on possible scenarios..Im fine with our current direction.But for conversation sake,I was trying to envision the AI option.In order for AI to fit,Conley would have to come off the bench,and Gay would most likely have to be traded due to his lack of defense,and the lack of touches each player would demand.Point being,its a long shot that AI could work here...but it does present some intriguing possibilities.You would have to change the dynamic of the franchise,though.Im just weighing the pros and cons.

Iverson is on the wrong side of 30 and Conley showed as much improvement as anyone did last season. If Iverson wasn't successful on a team with Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace, Rodney Stuckey, etc then how is he going to be effective here? AI could perhaps carry a team filled with role players like he did in Philly, but what good would that do to our team. We want to build a solid team and allow our core time to develop, but if AI was here dominating the ball then how would that effect OJ and Rudy? Not to mention that we just gambled on a PF that needs the ball to be effective. Are you saying that we should just push aside our young talented nucleus for a guy that might play one more year.

And do you really think that AI would bring in that many more fans? It would really surprise me to know that every GM in the NBA is willing to pass on a guy that would sell out the arena during this time of economic trouble. It kind of reminds me how everyone ( myself included ) thought that there was such high demand for Rubio. AI was a great player but if playoff teams don't think that he is worth the trouble then why should a team that hasn't won 25 games in a long time.

I agree 100%. Just start AI at the point 2 year deal gives you 2 drafts to find a true point and pf. And conley is not a facilitator. Dribbling the ball up then passing to mayo then running to the corner does not make you a facilitator, or a pass 1st pg.

I'd do it yesterday

Iverson

Mayo

Gay

Randolph

Thabeet

that would be so much fun. We might even sell out the forum once or twice

just my opinion

Iverson's game is still 80 percent. This guy has led the league in scoring, won MVP and is a perennial all star. Iverson can play off the ball while letting oj distribute and iverson score. Iverson is a better and more consistent scorer than any1 on this team . I don't want to hear anything about his 17 p a game last year. This guy averages all most 30 a game over a 14 year career . He is 34, I guess you guys forgot Jordan was still playing at 39. U guys talk Abou character and that crap . Do you know what type of guys the tiger 's recruit. Did Kobe and shaq have a great relationship . U ever heard of the bad boyz of Detroit ?

YO

I can't believe the people who think A.I is washed up! Really? the guy,no excuse me the hall of famer put up 18 & 5 in a down year bcuz he was in the wrong system and had the wrong coach on his sideline! PRACTICE? we talking about PRACTICE? you still the man in my eyes A.I!

Are you saying that we should just push aside our young talented nucleus for a guy that might play one more year.

+1...The man crush for AI is overdone by some on this board. This sentiment does not prevail with NBA FO types, because they can't afford the wake AI left in Denver or Detroit. The little respect Conley gets is also puzzling. I am not saying Mike is the next Tony Parker, but he is improving, and this year he will have an opportunity to demonstrate his value. I think he is going to surprise some of his doubters on this board.

What we really need - now that the AI drama is fading - is a legit backup PG to Mike. To the degree we find the right guy...I think really sets the course for winning games next year. That floor general is so important when you finish the first quarter and start the second. With the new players we have - it is going to take a true vet PG to keep the offense fluid while the starters are out, and the rookies are getting in their minutes. The teams that go deeper in the playoffs often have a very good backup PG. I am hoping the Griz find the right PG to direct our young second unit.

I just don't think he fits unless we move our young guys out. Honestly, if we were going to move a player it seems that it would make more sense to move OJ than anyone else to keep from duplicating too much. I really don't want to do that, nor am I interested in moving either Rudy or MC for an aging AI. The only way I would I would want him is if he agreed to come off the bench.

Ignore a clearly off year by a 34 year old at your own peril. Most players aren't Michael Jordan. Most players start their decline around the age Iverson is now, and for many it happens very rapidly. Especially in Iverson's case, where he depends so much on his speed and has taken such a constant physical beating for 13 years b/c of the way he plays. Expecting the Iverson of 2 years ago (or even something close) to show up again, wherever he plays, is likely just wishful thinking.

Ignore a clearly off year by a 34 year old at your own peril. Most players aren't Michael Jordan. Most players start their decline around the age Iverson is now, and for many it happens very rapidly. Especially in Iverson's case, where he depends so much on his speed and has taken such a constant physical beating for 13 years b/c of the way he plays. Expecting the Iverson of 2 years ago (or even something close) to show up again, wherever he plays, is likely just wishful thinking.

I agree. Someone pointed out that Jordan played until he was 39, but he didn't suffer as much physical abuse as an undersized AI did literally throwing himself into the defenses. Jordan also had two retirements which probably helped prolong his career a bit by reducing the amount of stress he had to endure.

I'm not saying AI can't be effective in this league anymore, but I don't think he is a good fit unless we give up on some of our young core, and I think he is probably a lot closer to the end of his career than many people think.

I just don't think he fits unless we move our young guys out. Honestly, if we were going to move a player it seems that it would make more sense to move OJ than anyone else to keep from duplicating too much. I really don't want to do that, nor am I interested in moving either Rudy or MC for an aging AI. The only way I would I would want him is if he agreed to come off the bench.

astute observations that some on this board apparently can't see...

Yes..I could see the line of thought with that.

If we could trade Rudy Gay for Thaddeus Young or something along those lines...

Take a look a this deal.

Philadelphia Trade Breakdown

Outgoing Players

Thaddeus Young

Samuel Dalembert

Incoming Players

Rudy Gay

Ben Wallace (expiring)

Memphis Trade Breakdown

Outgoing Players

Rudy Gay

Mike Conley

Greg Buckner

Incoming Players

Thaddeus Young

Leandro Barbosa

Phoenix Trade Breakdown

Outgoing Players

Leandro Barbosa

Ben Wallace

Incoming Players

Samuel Dalembert

Mike Conley

Greg Buckner

Why?

Philadelphia dumps Dalembert and gets more scoring next to Iguodala. A Iggy/Young combination won't work long-term. Re-sign Andre Miller. Use the money Ben Wallace's expiring gives them to re-sign Rudy Gay next summer.

PG - Andre Miller/Jrue Holiday

SG - Andre Iguodala/Willie Green/Lou Williams

SF - Rudy Gay/Jason Kapono

PF - Marresse Speights/Jason Smith

C - Elton Brand/Ben Wallace

Memphis gets a more defensive minded SF and a scorer off the bench. Sign Iverson to replace Conley. And with Z-Bo/Iverson coming in with scoring, losing Gay's points won't matter.

PG - Allen Iverson/Marko Jaric

SG - O.J. Mayo/Leandro Barbosa

SF - Thaddeus Young/Sam Young/DeMarre Carroll

PF - Zach Randolph/Darrell Arthur/Hakim Warrick

C - Marc Gasol/Hasheem Thabeet/Hamed Haddadi

Phoenix gets a PG to groom for the future. Trade Nash to a contender for a SF.

But if Memphis were to trade for Young and dump Conley (signing Iverson in the process), what would that mean for the 3 year plan?