bhoyal

17% from three? Can we have our players back now?

Best games to rest starters:

Orlando Feb 5th  (record 9-39)

Detroit Feb 10th (10-35)

Orlando again March 5th

OKC March 13th (14-33)

other possibility: Mar 6th vs Houston (2nd half of B2B)

I cant wait to have Bane back

7 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Once we get closer to "full strength" I wonder if we "load manage" either Ja or Jaren (or both) for a game or 2.  They are gassed.  Carrying so much of the load.  

Maybe once Tyus comes back and settles in, we can give Ja a day off -- maybe once BEFORE the All Star Break then once AFTER the All Star Break.  Same with Jaren.  Maybe even give Ja/Jaren the day off at the same time -- then we can see how the rest of our core/rotation/deep depth guys hold up.

I think Jaren is the one that needs rest he has play almost every game.

With Clarke out is hard to sit him though.

9 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Of concern is that there are 33 games remaining now, and I'm guessing the return will be a bit disruptive, especially if Tyus and Ja start playing more minutes together or if Konchar stays in rotation.  I am a bit concerned about adding Dillon back in after his hiatus.

When everyone is healthy, Konchar needs to return to the bench. There is no way I want Konchar taking minutes from Dillon, Bane, Melton or Anderson. 

This team knows their roles. Konchar, Aldama, Tillie et al know that when the real players return, they won't be playing. I sincerely doubt there will be any turmoil about playing time. Chemistry may take a few games to return, especially for Dillon but the team has the all-star break and a relatively easy March schedule to tune up for the playoff chase at the end of the season. 

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

When everyone is healthy, Konchar needs to return to the bench. There is no way I want Konchar taking minutes from Dillon, Bane, Melton or Anderson. 

This team knows their roles. Konchar, Aldama, Tillie et al know that when the real players return, they won't be playing. I sincerely doubt there will be any turmoil about playing time. Chemistry may take a few games to return, especially for Dillon but the team has the all-star break and a relatively easy March schedule to tune up for the playoff chase at the end of the season. 

I want konch taking minutes from melton.

25 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I'm sure Taylor Jenkins will take your feelings into consideration. 

37 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I want Shake Milton coming off the bench instead of Culver but pretty sure that won't happen.

4 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Melton is severely underrated by people on this board as are most players whose primary attribute is perimeter defense.  Defense matters.

Image result for what he said gif

37 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Melton is severely underrated by people on this board as are most players whose primary attribute is perimeter defense.  Defense matters.

As the biggest DeAnthony homer on the board - I say AMEN. 

27 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

As the biggest DeAnthony homer on the board - I say AMEN. 

Image result for say amen gif

Konchar's shooting has come back down to Earth.  Since his big double double game, he's 2-13 from 3 and shooting 33% from the floor.  Konchar is what he is.  He's a solid 12th guy, that can step in and be dependable when you've got someone out.  Sometimes he will put up decent point numbers.  He can come in and make a 3.  Sometimes he wont.  He's always solid on rebounding.  But Konchar is not a player that will be a main rotation player that you will depend upon for production day in day out.  But he is a valuable member of the team.  Melton is similar, but I think on a higher level, to the point that he can be an every day rotation guy.  He can score points, but he is streaky and on those nights when he's off, he still gives you great defense, rebounding, steals, and deflections.  

17 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Konchar's shooting has come back down to Earth.  Since his big double double game, he's 2-13 from 3 and shooting 33% from the floor.  Konchar is what he is.  He's a solid 12th guy, that can step in and be dependable when you've got someone out.  Sometimes he will put up decent point numbers.  He can come in and make a 3.  Sometimes he wont.  He's always solid on rebounding.  But Konchar is not a player that will be a main rotation player that you will depend upon for production day in day out.  But he is a valuable member of the team.  Melton is similar, but I think on a higher level, to the point that he can be an every day rotation guy.  He can score points, but he is streaky and on those nights when he's off, he still gives you great defense, rebounding, steals, and deflections.  

Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren/BC/Tyus might be our only LONG TERM LOCKS.

Shop either of Melton/Konchar for the right trade package.  Culver has value as an expiring contract.  Maybe nobody wants Stretch Santa.

Back end rotation guys PLUS picks might get us Eric Gordon (WIN NOW)/Jalen Green (FUTURE CORE).

Let the Garland/Mobley/Allen Axis be TWO YEARS AWAY.  Plus LaMelo and whatever the heck they are trying to do in Charlotte.  Those guys can be TWO YEARS AWAY.  Giannis/Jokic/Embiid/Gobert... those guys aren't going anywhere either.  Let the Chicago Bulls be in "Wait 'till next year" mode.

20 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Scrub love lives on in Memphis. 

This is why people shouldn't get too excited about small sets of numbers. The true number usually requires more than a few games. It's called the 'Law of Large Numbers' and everyone should remember this before making grand declarations on a few games performance. There is a reason Jitty's been sitting on the end of the bench and it ain't cause anyone hates him. 

Konchar may be the perfect 11th man.  You hope you don't need him, but if you do, he's going to rebound but most importantly he's not going to complain about not getting shots, nor is he going to act like a malcontent if he's not put into a playoff game.  I hope when the playoffs come, we only see Culver, Tillie, and Aldama in victorious garbage minutes at the end of the game.  I was going to add Tillman, but I could see certain matchups in a series he'd get some time, but generally, he's only getting time in injury and foul situations.

I would also love it if  Aldama and 1-2 others go get minutes in Southaven because it would mean the team is back to full health.

5 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I would also love it if  Aldama and 1-2 others go get minutes in Southaven because it would mean the team is back to full health.

He was named most valuable player (MVP) of the 2019 FIBA U18 European Championship.  He has big big potential.  Just needs to straighten up that jump shot a little but at 7-feet tall, can get a clean look at the rim from three more than most guys.  When Aldama and ZW8 get some meat on their bones and a little more experience,  watch out.  It would be a shame if they end up taken in an expansion draft and go to some underserving team... like the Seattle Whatevers.

3 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

He is a bit inconsistent from game to game, and sometimes gets tunnel vision when he's handling the ball which kills ball movement, but other than that he's a great contributor.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is why people shouldn't get too excited about small sets of numbers. The true number usually requires more than a few games. It's called the 'Law of Large Numbers' and everyone should remember this before making grand declarations on a few games performance. There is a reason Jitty's been sitting on the end of the bench and it ain't cause anyone hates him. 

17 rebounds.

10 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Best games to rest starters:

Orlando Feb 5th  (record 9-39)

Detroit Feb 10th (10-35)

Orlando again March 5th

OKC March 13th (14-33)

other possibility: Mar 6th vs Houston (2nd half of B2B)

I see it differently, but I could be wrong.

If we are in are in a race to hold 3rd or at worst 4th, these are games that all must be won. And would require expending less gas to do it.

A starter or two could be rested against the top sides, where a win at full strength is still a battle and no way assured.

Also, this way, we are not revealing our cards to the teams we'd be most likely to face down the track.

49 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

17 rebounds.

One night. How many in total since that game? 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Konchar plays within himself and hustles. He will take good shots and make good plays, play solid defense, etc.

Melton can absolutely sink us on the offensive end and has tried to do so the last 8-10 games.

Melton creates deflections on defense and transition opportunities but he also creates terrible pull up 3 pointers on the offensive end which he hasn't been hitting.

Don't think you're the smartest person in the world. I know what Melton brings defensively. Right now it's not outweighing his crap offensive output.

40 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

He had 10 last game. since the 17 board game: 17, 1, 5,7,5,10

Melton has had 3,2,4,1,9,6.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

He had 10 last game. since the 17 board game: 17, 1, 5,7,5,10

Melton has had 3,2,4,1,9,6.

Thanks 7979 ?

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Konchar plays within himself and hustles. He will take good shots and make good plays, play solid defense, etc.

Melton can absolutely sink us on the offensive end and has tried to do so the last 8-10 games.

Melton creates deflections on defense and transition opportunities but he also creates terrible pull up 3 pointers on the offensive end which he hasn't been hitting.

Don't think you're the smartest person in the world. I know what Melton brings defensively. Right now it's not outweighing his crap offensive output.

All of the Konchar part is correct PLUS x when he heads to the scorer’s table - we notice. Everybody knows what we are going to get when he checks in and it looks like it varies BUT actually what it is is he knows what he is in the game to do. Rebound, defend, hound a certain player, move the ball - doesn’t seem to matter to him. He does whatever he’s been asked to do and he’s doing that with what looks like 100 percent effort. Within himself.

Now with Melton … his defense is his most valuable asset to me. He can start feeling himself and think he’s a scorer at times. As long as coach keeps him focused he looks like a positive.