Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

What people forget about Konchar

One thing they forget is that mid-major college ball is no joke.  They close the talent gap more and more every year.  I never thought I'd see the day when Belmont and Lipscomb had guys in the NBA at the same time.  But that day is here.  So let's look at some of Konchar's number from college.

He played 4675 minutes of college ball = 133 games (started all but 3).... hit 193 triples, 354 free throws, had 1149 rebounds, 553 assists, 272 steals, scored well over 2000 points.

Besides mid-majors, he played against Utah, Indiana, Arkansas, Notre Dame, played Indiana again and beat them by 20 at Bloomington,  UCLA, Ohio State

I for one am not shocked he is NBA material.   And here is a tip on a mid-major big who outscored Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler when Morehead played Auburn....a 20/12 dbl-dbl vs Xavier

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4433569/johni-broome

Without using google, I bet fewer than 10% of the posters know his college's name! 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Without using google, I bet fewer than 10% of the posters know his college's name! 

I just read up on him last night and I can't remember.

University of Indiana at somewhere? 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

University of Purdue-Fort Wayne.  I know they Fort Wayne part is right, not sure on the first part. And I remember they are the mastedons (or however you spell it).

I thought it was IUPUFW i.e. - Indiana/Purdue at Ft Wayne.

11 hours ago, bhoyal said:

One thing they forget is that mid-major college ball is no joke.  They close the talent gap more and more every year.  I never thought I'd see the day when Belmont and Lipscomb had guys in the NBA at the same time.  But that day is here.  So let's look at some of Konchar's number from college.

He played 4675 minutes of college ball = 133 games (started all but 3).... hit 193 triples, 354 free throws, had 1149 rebounds, 553 assists, 272 steals, scored well over 2000 points.

Besides mid-majors, he played against Utah, Indiana, Arkansas, Notre Dame, played Indiana again and beat them by 20 at Bloomington,  UCLA, Ohio State

I for one am not shocked he is NBA material.   And here is a tip on a mid-major big who outscored Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler when Morehead played Auburn....a 20/12 dbl-dbl vs Xavier

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4433569/johni-broome

And Broome had dbl-dbl(s) both times against Belmont last season including a 20 &12 vs the much ballyhooed Muszainsky (sp?).

ESPN's listing that says he is a freshman is wrong.  He's a soph.  Would be a nice summer league FA pickup if he ends up undrafted whenever he decides life in the fast-lane of Morehead Kentucky (pop. 6845) is just too exciting.

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It's IU-Fort Wayne or something.  Or, maybe that was an old BAA team that survived the NBL merger.

Yep.  We need a John Konchar Fort Wayne Pistons poster night.  Best 6'4 power forward this side of Vern Mikkelson!

2 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I thought it was IUPUFW i.e. - Indiana/Purdue at Ft Wayne.

And Broome had dbl-dbl(s) both times against Belmont last season including a 20 &12 vs the much ballyhooed Muszainsky (sp?).

ESPN's listing that says he is a freshman is wrong.  He's a soph.  Would be a nice summer league FA pickup if he ends up undrafted whenever he decides life in the fast-lane of Morehead Kentucky (pop. 6845) is just too exciting.

We should draft the "heck yeah we would have drafted him 20 spots lower but you can't draft him with the X/Y/Z pick."

And also in this part of the country, how about a 6-9/270 power forward for summer ball & the Hustle team?

Technically he can play one more year now that the NCAA threw away the rule book but how old does a guy want to be in college?  He could already pass for ZW8's dad.

Ahsan.jpg?width=800&aspect_ratio=16:10

11 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

And also in this part of the country, how about a 6-9/270 power forward for summer ball & the Hustle team?

Technically he can play one more year now that the NCAA threw away the rule book but how old does a guy want to be in college?  He could already pass for ZW8's dad.

Ahsan.jpg?width=800&aspect_ratio=16:10

Nice!

We have been bringing in these types for our initial draft work outs (2 way types/G League Hustle prospects).  I bet we bring in more.

Not a big, but I think that Tevin Brown of Murray State is a player to keep an eye on.  Lit up the Memphis Tigers.  Only had 11/5 last game but had some really good games before that.  Played with Ja....

My deep deep deep small school sleeper is Drew Pember (was at UT then transferred).  Can't find any new info/highlights on him though.  

If we came out of this draft with Tevin Brown/Drew Pember along with cash/future protected first/future second round picks/trade exception then I think we would have a better draft than LOTS of teams.  

... if we go straight by the book, then the top players are probably gonna be off the board before the Lakers pick.  At that point it might actually be hard to draft over some of our guys like Tillie/Tillman/Tyrell Terry/Yves Pons/DaQuan Jeffries/Santi Aldama.  I am assuming (if we want big man/center depth) that we would like to draft a 7 footer that's better than Jon Teske....

Pember is at UNC-Asheville and averages 12 & 6 ... but blocks 4 per game.  

He's shooting 29% from three, so he's still a project for the next level.  Scored 27 vs a rebuilding ETSU team.

The only ranked team he played against this season was the big UNC and was held to 2 points.  OUCH!!

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

University of Purdue-Fort Wayne.  I know they Fort Wayne part is right, not sure on the first part. And I remember they are the mastedons (or however you spell it).

Close but not quite right

2 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Steph Curry went to Davidson.  Ja Morant went to Murray State.  Kawhi Leonard went to San Diego State.  I don't think NBA scouts overlook players from mid-majors.

What do you think of Max Abmas?  He's small but can light it up.  Outlier shooting/floor spacing.

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

What do you think of Max Abmas?  He's small but can light it up.  Outlier shooting/floor spacing.

I think a player that small needs to be able to do more than just shoot to make it.  A career average of 1.2 steals per game and 2.9 assists per game does not bode well for his chances, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

It's IU-Fort Wayne or something.  Or, maybe that was an old BAA team that survived the NBL merger.

Yep.  We need a John Konchar Fort Wayne Pistons poster night.  Best 6'4 power forward this side of Vern Mikkelson!

Oh so close but not quite correct

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Oh so close but not quite correct

Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne is a public university in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Founded in 1964.

IUPUFW

Just now, kevofrommempho said:

I think a player that small needs to be able to do more than just shoot to make it.  A career average of 1.2 steals per game and 2.9 assists per game does not bode well for his chances, in my opinion.

His DBPM (one of the main defensive metrics I look at) is worse than Tyler Harris'.  

But his shooting is something else.  Warps the defense.  If we moved Tyrell Terry to a full contract, then I can see Max Abmas being a really good 2 way contract project type.

Abmas/Konchar/ZW/BC/Jaren would be a good non-Ja/Bane/Dillon/Adams lineup.  

2 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne is a public university in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Founded in 1964.

IUPUFW

I ALMOST got it.

Could have SWORN that IUPUWF stood for something else....

8 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

IUPUFW

Image result for winner winner chicken dinner gif

And that sounds remarkably like something you would write if you looked it up on Google. 
See the source image

When Konchar started there it was Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne, which was a joint institution between Indiana and Purdue.  In 2018, they split into two separate institutions, and Purdue got custody of the athletics team in the divorce.  Henceforth they were known as Purdue Fort Wayne Mastadons.

5 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

When Konchar started there it was Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne, which was a joint institution between Indiana and Purdue.  In 2018, they split into two separate institutions, and Purdue got custody of the athletics team in the divorce.  Henceforth they were known as Purdue Fort Wayne Mastadons.

What part did Indiana get custody of?

I don't care HOW MANY future first round picks (and dilapidated "student housing" ... guessing)  Indiana got custody of.  You don't trade the rights to John FRIGGIN Konchar!

I see the Mastodons edged Detroit Mercy last night as former DeMatha High/Notre Dame/Vandy player DJ Harvey continues to head straight for the all-time bust wall of shame.  Two points in 15 minutes off the bench for Detroit Mercy.  The guy was actually the top-ranked player in Maryland in high school.  Geez.

Rivals had him ranked as 5-stars in high school.  Had offers from Alabama, UCLA, Duke, Arizona, Oregon, Villanova, etc ☹️

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I don't care HOW MANY future first round picks (and dilapidated "student housing" ... guessing)  Indiana got custody of.  You don't trade the rights to John FRIGGIN Konchar!

Indiana got the Med School

10 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Image result for google researcher GIF

5 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Image result for men in black gif