Jump to content
grizz1016

Power Rankings 1/10/22

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Only if you are Alabama.  I swear Michigan should have moved to 1 after Bama beat Georgia.  all 3 were basically in their own tier... but NO gotta save TWO SEC teams for the title game.

Should have been Michigan/Alabama/Georgia/Cincy.  Midwest semi-final then an SEC rematch semi-final.  Two regions battling it out for the title.

...  back to college basketball, I guess Doooook/Zags/Auburn compete for number one.  Same with Kansas.  USC also lost.... I can see UCLA getting some of those "west" votes.  But, regional seeding matters more in college basketball anyway.  Wait, Duke lost the other day... screw 'em.  Zags/Duke/Auburn/Kansas as "one seeds".  Kentucky should probably move way up.  They are legit.

Funny you say that after Cincy and Michigan both got destroyed in the semifinal games, pretty much vindicating the rankings how the selection committee assigned them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

It doesn't work that way anywhere really. Just because you beat the number 1 ranked team in the power rankings doesn't mean anything. I'm just referring to the NBA.com rankings that had us #2 and GS at #1. They should put us at #1 next week. 

Texas tech just beat Baylor who was number 1 in college basketball. They will not be ranked number 1 next week. 

Boxing and MMA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Funny you say that after Cincy and Michigan both got destroyed in the semifinal games, pretty much vindicating the rankings how the selection committee assigned them.  

I agree with that, but also to make the case for Bama. They had the same record as Michigan but had the best win on the year after beating Georgia. Why shouldn't they have been #1? Clearly those were the best two teams anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

I agree with that, but also to make the case for Bama. They had the same record as Michigan but had the best win on the year after beating Georgia. Why shouldn't they have been #1? Clearly those were the best two teams anyway. 

Bama was #1 after beating Georgia. Georgia had the same record as Michigan and their only loss was to Bama so they had a better argument to be #2 than Michigan had to be #1. Losing to Michigan State was a really bad loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Bama was #1 after beating Georgia. Georgia had the same record as Michigan and their only loss was to Bama so they had a better argument to be #2 than Michigan had to be #1. Losing to Michigan State was a really bad loss. 

Not saying I disagree on Georgia didn't have a case for #2, but it didn't really matter either way and they lost more recently. Also losing to a top 10 team on the road doesn't qualify as a really bad loss. Not saying Michigan state was a good team or anything, but still. Bama losing to A&M was pretty rough too, certainly worse than the Michigan state loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power rankings are supposed to be record adjusted for strength of schedule.  In my mind, it should be how well a team is playing right now or recently.  In football, maybe a team lost their first two games, but they didn't have their star QB, who has returned and is unstoppable.  They are perfect with him taking snaps and look like the best team in the country, even though their record doesn't show it.  In basketball, I think record over the past 10 games is an indicator how well a team is playing.  Us and Chicago are the hottest teams in the NBA right now.  Chicago won 9 in a row, but recently lost.  The next two hottest teams are Philly and Dallas.  who have a winning streak of 7 and 6, respectively.  GS and PHX are both 6-4 over their last 10 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Power rankings are supposed to be record adjusted for strength of schedule.  In my mind, it should be how well a team is playing right now or recently.  In football, maybe a team lost their first two games, but they didn't have their star QB, who has returned and is unstoppable.  They are perfect with him taking snaps and look like the best team in the country, even though their record doesn't show it.  In basketball, I think record over the past 10 games is an indicator how well a team is playing.  Us and Chicago are the hottest teams in the NBA right now.  Chicago won 9 in a row, but recently lost.  The next two hottest teams are Philly and Dallas.  who have a winning streak of 7 and 6, respectively.  GS and PHX are both 6-4 over their last 10 games. 

Too bad the TV game schedules aren't adjusted the same way. I'm so sick of repeatedly seeing garbage like Lakers, Boston, add currently no star power Clippers, and over-hyped Trae Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Too bad the TV game schedules aren't adjusted the same way. I'm so sick of repeatedly seeing garbage like Lakers, Boston, add currently no star power Clippers, and over-hyped Trae Young

Jan 14 - ESPN

Jan 17 - TNT

Jan 25 - ESPN

Feb 2 - ESPN

We've got some coming up.  But no, definitely not as many appearances as Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Jazz, Hawks, Bucks, Nets.  We win a playoff series or two, I guarantee we will see many more next season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What time eastern is Mondays game? 5pm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know where to put this so I am just going to ask it here. 

Has Memphis ever been third or higher in the standings at this point of the season or deeper in? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Don't know where to put this so I am just going to ask it here. 

Has Memphis ever been third or higher in the standings at this point of the season or deeper in? 

 

 

I dont think so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Don't know where to put this so I am just going to ask it here. 

Has Memphis ever been third or higher in the standings at this point of the season or deeper in? 

 

 

It's tough to find out standings throughout the year.  The closest final standings were the 2012-13 and 2014-15 seasons.  In 2012-2013 we ended up 56-26.  We tied for 4th place with the Clippers (but I think lost the tie-breaker).  We were only 1 game back from the Nuggets, so not sure if we got to 3rd late in the season and lost it or not.  In 2014-15 we ended up 4th again at 55-27, one game back from the Clippers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

It's tough to find out standings throughout the year.  The closest final standings were the 2012-13 and 2014-15 seasons.  In 2012-2013 we ended up 56-26.  We tied for 4th place with the Clippers (but I think lost the tie-breaker).  We were only 1 game back from the Nuggets, so not sure if we got to 3rd late in the season and lost it or not.  In 2014-15 we ended up 4th again at 55-27, one game back from the Clippers.  

One of these years I believe we were 2nd seed pretty far into the season, but with a lot of teams in that 2-6 range and ultimately ended up dropping in the last bit of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

It's tough to find out standings throughout the year.  The closest final standings were the 2012-13 and 2014-15 seasons.  In 2012-2013 we ended up 56-26.  We tied for 4th place with the Clippers (but I think lost the tie-breaker).  We were only 1 game back from the Nuggets, so not sure if we got to 3rd late in the season and lost it or not.  In 2014-15 we ended up 4th again at 55-27, one game back from the Clippers.  

The Grizzlies finished 4th in the West once but also finished behind Dallas and San Antonio. Under the old rules we had to play Dallas, the 2nd overall seed, in the first round on the road since the three division winners plus the highest wild card team were seeded 1-4. The Grizzlies got royally screwed that season and the league changed the rules the next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

It's tough to find out standings throughout the year.  The closest final standings were the 2012-13 and 2014-15 seasons.  In 2012-2013 we ended up 56-26.  We tied for 4th place with the Clippers (but I think lost the tie-breaker).  We were only 1 game back from the Nuggets, so not sure if we got to 3rd late in the season and lost it or not.  In 2014-15 we ended up 4th again at 55-27, one game back from the Clippers.  

 

Thank you.

With this team, we are going to be breaking all kinds of records soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies finished 4th in the West once but also finished behind Dallas and San Antonio. Under the old rules we had to play Dallas, the 2nd overall seed, in the first round on the road since the three division winners plus the highest wild card team were seeded 1-4. WE got royally screwed that season and the league changed the rules the next year. 

Was that with J will, Bonzi,  posey,  pau year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, chipc3 said:

True. I didn't realize NBA.com ranked teams based on hot streaks. 

A hot streak is stringing a few (3,4,5 )wins together.

At 11 games in a row now…

This is no hot streak… 

This is a proclamation.

sleep on these GRIZZ if you want to…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I guess this is as good a place as any:

 

 

Lowe is one of the few national journalists (Hollinger doesn’t count) that have always followed and respected the Grizzlies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

Was that with J will, Bonzi,  posey,  pau year?

No, J Will/Bonzi/Pau was way back when it was my first years being a Grizzlies fan.  Made the playoffs both years that these guys played together 2003-2005.  I remember it was so exciting making the playoffs for the first time ever, then just got routed in 4 games by the Spurs.  Then the next year, another 4-game route by the Suns.  The 2005-2006 season was the year we faced the Mavericks in the playoffs, but Bonzi and J Will had just left.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Was that with J will, Bonzi,  posey,  pau year?

That was the 2005-06 season. San Antonio finished with 60 wins. Dallas had 59 wins. Phoenix had 52 wins and Memphis was the 4th best team with 47-33 record. Back then the division winners were given the top 3 seeds and the first wild card team was seeded 4th regardless of record. Memphis as the 4th best team in the conference started the post-season on the road against the 2nd best team Dallas. 

That team was led by Pau, Shane, and Chucky Atkins with Mike Miller coming off the bench. Eddie Jones played on the team as well. Damon Stoudamire started the season on fire before blowing out his knee in LA. Lorenzen and Jake Tsakalidis were the team's bigs that season. 7 different players averaged double figures for the Grizzlies that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

That was the 2005-06 season. San Antonio finished with 60 wins. Dallas had 59 wins. Phoenix had 52 wins and Memphis was the 4th best team with 47-33 record. Back then the division winners were given the top 3 seeds and the first wild card team was seeded 4th regardless of record. Memphis as the 4th best team in the conference started the post-season on the road against the 2nd best team Dallas. 

That team was led by Pau, Shane, and Chucky Atkins with Mike Miller coming off the bench. Eddie Jones played on the team as well. Damon Stoudamire started the season on fire before blowing out his knee in LA. Lorenzen and Jake Tsakalidis were the team's bigs that season. 7 different players averaged double figures for the Grizzlies that season. 

Was that with the czar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×