Jump to content
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ L A Lakers - 1/9/2022

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Great win but with im not convince to have a starting 5 with ZW/Ja as they are both terrible defenders. Tonight JJJ was playing like crazy so it doesn not matter ( And lakers are trash) but against good team, i'm afraid it wont be enough. You don't go far in Play off when conceiding 118 points...and we won't score 130 every night.

Zaire won't be a starter in the playoffs. But he was generally good, that run at the end wasn't on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, QMemphis said:

Great game until the second half of the fourth. Culver just got himself traded with that terrible play on both ends. 

Yep

But Aldama and Tillman weren't any better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ja had that crowd on the edge of their seats even with an overall mediocre game by his standards. my dvr already knows…we gonna be hitting that 30 second rewind and listening to the crowd!

 

slim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our new coach did not handle the end of the game I bet coach Jenkins would of done a better job.

Also LeBron playing this many minutes at this age is not a winning formula the Lakers will be in the play in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, My man Allen said:

Even Ja bad games are good games. 16 7 and 5

Yeah, and some crazy highlights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

And this is on the coaching staff. Hopefully a lesson will be learnt from this.

You don't put out Culver Aldama Tillman with the Rook, ask Culver to be a PG, which he isn't, how many times does this have to be tested?

And ask the Rook to be the lead offense? 

With that line up, against vets, no wonder it was a 21-0 run against. And no way I'm blaming Zaire, he did his job already.

Where was Tillie, who was a starter before this game?

Tillman -14

Culver -14

Aldama -14

And Tillman benefited in plus minus from having been out there earlier when they started to make their against the Lakers, so his plus minus was probably the worst.

Kinda spoiled a magical performance by the others

I see it too… but to balance it out I have to remind myself that when winning counts even more - we will only be going 8 or 9 deep.

We were without our coach and we stay rolling out new lineup after new lineup … resilience and audacity are the two words I would use to describe this group.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

And this is on the coaching staff. Hopefully a lesson will be learnt from this.

You don't put out Culver Aldama Tillman with the Rook, ask Culver to be a PG, which he isn't, how many times does this have to be tested?

And ask the Rook to be the lead offense? 

With that line up, against vets, no wonder it was a 21-0 run against. And no way I'm blaming Zaire, he did his job already.

Where was Tillie, who was a starter before this game?

Tillman -14

Culver -14

Aldama -14

And Tillman benefited in plus minus from having been out there earlier when they started to make their against the Lakers, so his plus minus was probably the worst.

Kinda spoiled a magical performance by the others

Didn’t spoil it for me. 
 

The good NBA stats web sites like Cleaning the Glass filter out garbage time minutes. 
 

Our rotation guys blew out their rotation guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I see it too… but to balance it out I have to remind myself that when winning counts even more - we will only be going 8 or 9 deep.

We were without our coach and we stay rolling out new lineup after new lineup … resilience and audacity are the two words I would use to describe this group.

 

Yes. Our main 8 will be Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren/Adams/Tyus/Kyle/BC

If there’s a need for a 9th it will be Melton or Ziaire. Konch, Tillman, and Tillie will be the next guys up. Culver/Santi/Pons/Terry there to cheer on their teammates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at last year’s series Utah series, Jenkins did use a 10-man rotation. The bottom two guys (Tyus and either Clarke or Tillman) averaged under 10 minutes a game. Melton/Bane averaged under 20 minutes. Allen - 23, Jaren - 27, Kyle - 28, Jonas -33, Dillon - 35, Ja - 40. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard Bud Jones say in Post Game presser that its easier for Jaren to get going when he is at the 5.  I really think Jaren only started at the 5 both games because Jenkins was out.   He would've started Tillman at the 5 and kept Jaren at the 4.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I heard Bud Jones say in Post Game presser that its easier for Jaren to get going when he is at the 5.  I really think Jaren only started at the 5 both games because Jenkins was out.   He would've started Tillman at the 5 and kept Jaren at the 4.   

I don't think so personally, but maybe. Lakers were a weirder case since they go small. I could've seen a lineup in which they started Kyle, Jaren, Tillman as the frontcourt against the Clippers. 

Hopefully that can be put to rest for Jenkins. Jaren is very effective at the 5, and needs to keep playing there. The only problem is Adams has also been very good as of late. Not sure how they'll handle that, but I would really like to see Brandon and Kyle getting most of the PF minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think so personally, but maybe. Lakers were a weirder case since they go small. I could've seen a lineup in which they started Kyle, Jaren, Tillman as the frontcourt against the Clippers. 

Hopefully that can be put to rest for Jenkins. Jaren is very effective at the 5, and needs to keep playing there. The only problem is Adams has also been very good as of late. Not sure how they'll handle that, but I would really like to see Brandon and Kyle getting most of the PF minutes. 

Yea i see value in starting Adams cuz he helps get ja going and his passing  and rebounds are a big part of our offense.    Plus it makes us really Big.   I can understand the hesitancy in starting BOTH of our more injury prone Bigs together (Brandon and Jaren) who are both technically undersized for their positions. 

Ideally tho Big rotation should just be Jaren + BC starting with Kyle + Adams backing them up.   That keeps our most productive Bigs in rotation in their ideal positions.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think so personally, but maybe. Lakers were a weirder case since they go small. I could've seen a lineup in which they started Kyle, Jaren, Tillman as the frontcourt against the Clippers. 

Hopefully that can be put to rest for Jenkins. Jaren is very effective at the 5, and needs to keep playing there. The only problem is Adams has also been very good as of late. Not sure how they'll handle that, but I would really like to see Brandon and Kyle getting most of the PF minutes. 

We were winning with Jaren/Adams at the 4/5. Jaren puts up better numbers at the 5, but do we want to make a move to increase Jaren’s stats, or increase wins?  Maybe that will do both, I don’t know. Jaren/Dillon/Adams have been the 2nd best defensive trio in the entire NBA. Would moving Adams to backup C cause a defensive drop in our starting 5? Will he be as effective in a backup roll when he won’t be playing as much with Bane to hit him cutting you the basket or seal the lane for Ja’s drives?  If we were to have Jaren as starting 5 with Adams coming off the bench, I would want Brandon as the starting 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

We were winning with Jaren/Adams at the 4/5. Jaren puts up better numbers at the 5, but do we want to make a move to increase Jaren’s stats, or increase wins?  Maybe that will do both, I don’t know. Jaren/Dillon/Adams have been the 2nd best defensive trio in the entire NBA. Would moving Adams to backup C cause a defensive drop in our starting 5? Will he be as effective in a backup roll when he won’t be playing as much with Bane to hit him cutting you the basket or seal the lane for Ja’s drives?  If we were to have Jaren as starting 5 with Adams coming off the bench, I would want Brandon as the starting 4. 

It's certainly a juggling act. I would think you keep Adams with the starting unit with Ja, Bane, Dillon, Kyle and Adams. Then the bench unit of Jaren, Brandon, Tyus, Melton, and Konchar/ ZW get plenty of run as well. Then you close with Ja, Bane, Dillon, Kyle, and Jaren in theory. 

Like GTF mentioned, mainly keep the pairings of Brandon/ Jaren and Kyle/ Adams.

Brandon and Jaren have been the best 2 man lineup that we have at +16.7 per 100. Pretty much everyone plays well with Jaren from that perspective though (except for Kyle). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re this Adams/JJJ debate and who should start at center, two things can be true at the same time. 1st, there is no way Adams is losing his starting job because he has to go into H&S protocols for a week. And 2nd, Jaren will be our long term center, as has been pretty obvious for a year now. 

Also, we need to acknowledge that the Lakers just aren't that good, especially with AD out, and started LeBron James at center last night. 

Remember about two weeks ago we were worried the Lakers sucked so bad that we had to worry about their seeding being top 10 and us losing it the pick the Pels.

LeBron has gone supernova for two weeks, but the chances of him shooting near 40% from 3 on 8 attempts per game are pretty slim, imo. The Lakers always have an easy early schedule, so TV can have them in big games the 2nd half of the season. And the Lakers don't beat good teams this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Re this Adams/JJJ debate and who should start at center, two things can be true at the same time. 1st, there is no way Adams is losing his starting job because he has to go into H&S protocols for a week. And 2nd, Jaren will be our long term center, as has been pretty obvious for a year now. 

I can go with that. 

Also, we need to acknowledge that the Lakers just aren't that good, especially with AD out, and started LeBron James at center last night. 

That is obvious but that LeBron guy can win a lot of games by himself. 

Remember about two weeks ago we were worried the Lakers sucked so bad that we had to worry about their seeding being top 10 and us losing it the pick the Pels.

Who is this we you are referring to? 

LeBron has gone supernova for two weeks, but the chances of him shooting near 40% from 3 on 8 attempts per game are pretty slim, imo. The Lakers always have an easy early schedule, so TV can have them in big games the 2nd half of the season. And the Lakers don't beat good teams this season.

 

Those final numbers are shockingly bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Those final numbers are shockingly bad. 

Re the Lakers draft pick, I was referring to Christmas Day. The Lakers lost to the Nets, their 5th loss in a row. And they were 2 games under .500. I think they were down to 10th or 11th on tankathon's draft seeding then.

Lakers had won 5 of 6 before last night, and still projecting to be the 16th pick. https://tankathon.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

We don’t need to trade for anyone at this point my faith is 100% with the FO when it comes to roster building 

Well.......we do have THREE 1st round picks coming up.  No need to panic-trade is correct.***

***Unless some team is offering to absolutely fleece itself for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Impressive, but a highlight block doesn't make you a good defender.  I expect Ja to improve though, because he always challenges himself to be better.

His defense won the game against the Suns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Zaire won't be a starter in the playoffs. But he was generally good, that run at the end wasn't on him.

I agree with that. Zaire is not a starter yet but deserve some mi as he is improving and has a real potential. The goos thing is that we have plenty of option, depending on the opponent. Konchar, Tillie, Tilman, Slomo, Melton, Clarke...we are very lucky indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I agree with that. Zaire is not a starter yet but deserve some mi as he is improving and has a real potential. The goos thing is that we have plenty of option, depending on the opponent. Konchar, Tillie, Tilman, Slomo, Melton, Clarke...we are very lucky indeed.

We're lucky.  When healthy, we legit have 5 or 6 serviceable players off the bench.  Our "depth guys" should be able to hold their own in the playoffs (which is what counts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I agree with that. Zaire is not a starter yet but deserve some mi as he is improving and has a real potential. The goos thing is that we have plenty of option, depending on the opponent. Konchar, Tillie, Tilman, Slomo, Melton, Clarke...we are very lucky indeed.

I agree, especially about having good options.

Zaire is one on the wing. Its good to be able to stick him in, for a spell, to guard a good shooter who is probably not used to length and quickness.

The who's-at-center question is another matchup issue. We hit em with the power for a while and then bring the finesse. If one ain't workin switch to the other. In many cases, it may not matter much who you put out there with him. Many of the skill sets seem to be interchangeable. Its a nice problem to have.

These skillset options allow for long term matchup planning. Will they get it right? So far, so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×