BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Lol I watched yesterday as well as most of the games, and I'll be watching in the playoffs when teams clamp on Ja and we have no one else on the roster who can make it happen on their own consistently. Beal may not be the guy with his age and contract, and we should probably be aiming for more of a star forward type, but it'll be borderline impossible to win it all without an elite 2nd option - Bane and DB are great but you aren't relying on them to help carry a team when it matters most deep in a playoff run. I'd prefer to find that in the draft for long-term cap health but not really seeing that in this draft, at least not anywhere we could feasibly trade up to.

Also Jaren is the long term 5. We all love Steven Adams but he is a bridge. 

Dillon did average 25.8 in the playoffs last year, so I wouldn't really say that. Bane is currently averaging 17.7 on really good efficiency, so no reason he can't reasonably keep that up. The reason we didn't get further last year was mainly experience, plus Jaren wasn't quite ready and grayson and JV underperformed compared to their regular season performances. 

We'll see what happens this year. Obviously most of our team has playoff experience now. If Ja can get some others to help to take the load off come playoff time it could be a different story. 

10 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Dillon did average 25.8 in the playoffs last year, so I wouldn't really say that. Bane is currently averaging 17.7 on really good efficiency, so no reason he can't reasonably keep that up. The reason we didn't get further last year was mainly experience, plus Jaren wasn't quite ready and grayson and JV underperformed compared to their regular season performances. 

We'll see what happens this year. Obviously most of our team has playoff experience now. If Ja can get some others to help to take the load off come playoff time it could be a different story. 

Yeah really interested to see if Dillon can take a similar leap this year in the playoffs. If he's as good as he was last year then no reason they can't make the finals. We'll see, not convinced he can keep it up consistently, which is why I consider him (and Bane for that matter) more of a championship level 3rd option.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Lol I watched yesterday as well as most of the games, and I'll be watching in the playoffs when teams clamp on Ja and we have no one else on the roster who can make it happen on their own consistently. Beal may not be the guy with his age and contract, and we should probably be aiming for more of a star forward type, but it'll be borderline impossible to win it all without an elite 2nd option - Bane and DB are great but you aren't relying on them to help carry a team when it matters most deep in a playoff run. I'd prefer to find that piece in the draft for long-term cap health but not really seeing that in this draft, at least not anywhere we could feasibly trade up to.

Also Jaren is the long term 5. We all love Steven Adams but he is a bridge. 

Yes that may be true that he is a bridge. Maybe even probably true. It would depend on who become available as a replacement (prpbably a backup C)and at what price.

I just don't see that the FO is in a hurry to make a decision on him, or move him this season at least,  considering his performance, how its affecting the team, and that they chose him in a trade (along with other considerations for making that trade)

45 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yes that may be true that he is a bridge. Maybe even probably true. It would depend on who become available as a replacement (prpbably a backup C)and at what price.

I just don't see that the FO is in a hurry to make a decision on him, or move him this season at least,  considering his performance, how its affecting the team, and that they chose him in a trade (along with other considerations for making that trade)

These "good" backups are pricey.  Tyus Jones is gonna be expensive to sign, but so would his replacements (then you have to burn a 1st round pick as a hedge).

Same with bigs....  Sign a "second rate" backup center for $8 or $9 million.  Burn a first round draft pick for another couple million.  So the difference between Steven Adam's "last big contract" which he will sign in 2023 and the Replacement Cost is probably not that far off.  

41 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

These "good" backups are pricey.  Tyus Jones is gonna be expensive to sign, but so would his replacements (then you have to burn a 1st round pick as a hedge).

Same with bigs....  Sign a "second rate" backup center for $8 or $9 million.  Burn a first round draft pick for another couple million.  So the difference between Steven Adam's "last big contract" which he will sign in 2023 and the Replacement Cost is probably not that far off.  

I get what you're saying but the value generally for bigs is not what it was say 5 years ago, depending on the skill set.

Javale McGee people thought he was crap, but he does a good job for around $5mil?

B Lopez was on similar $$ last contract.

Maybe Adams might be similarly priced. After all he isnt exactly a scoring machine, but suits the team's needs down to a T

1 minute ago, BigHunkALove said:

I get what you're saying but the value generally for bigs is not what it was say 5 years ago, depending on the skill set.

Javale McGee people thought he was crap, but he does a good job for around $5mil?

B Lopez was on similar $$ last contract.

Maybe Adams might be similarly priced. After all he isnt exactly a scoring machine, but suits the team's needs down to a T

JaVale McGee has about a 40 PER right now.

He's probably underpaid.

Big men were cheap, yeah, 5 years ago, 10 years ago.  League's getting big again.  

JV just signed for $14 million and he's been traded TWICE in the past few seasons -- and some thought that was a relative bargain.

Doesn't take much for a solid center to get $8 to $10 million per year.  Adams probably gets that, maybe a bit less maybe a bit more.  BUT, it wouldn't take much to get a bidding war started then you are looking at somewhere north of $15 million.  ... in 2022 if you don't have a legit point guard AND a legit center then your team is basically sunk.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

JaVale McGee has about a 40 PER right now.

He's probably underpaid.

Big men were cheap, yeah, 5 years ago, 10 years ago.  League's getting big again.  

JV just signed for $14 million and he's been traded TWICE in the past few seasons -- and some thought that was a relative bargain.

Doesn't take much for a solid center to get $8 to $10 million per year.  Adams probably gets that, maybe a bit less maybe a bit more.  BUT, it wouldn't take much to get a bidding war started then you are looking at somewhere north of $15 million.  ... in 2022 if you don't have a legit point guard AND a legit center then your team is basically sunk.

but we have a legit pg and legit center already

12 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's not that they don't want good players.  It's just that they're not deluded by these high priced free agent fantasies.  Also, when it comes to trades, sometimes two really good players are better than one superstar.

You say this. 

But then I read this 

14 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

This is why look at the per 100 possessions stat Bradley Beal costs almost 10x’s as much as Bane but their production is similar. Why bring in a guy who’s gonna cost you that much when you already have a guy who is producing similarly at a fraction of the price. If you want to spend 30+ million on one player Not named Ja, Jaren, Bane, or Dillion how about you go find a big sf who can defend at an elite level and score, or the perfect big that can fit next to Jaren. Sg is not the spot that needs upgrading.

One more leap in his game and Desmond Bane is a star in the league and we picked him at 30th

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=banede01&player_id1=bealbr01&sum=0&request=1

And the reason of course is so that you can have 2 dudes producing at that level. By your logic why put Klay with Steph? You already have one Alltime great shooter, why get another?

You win Championships with overwhelming talent. And I’d jump at a chance to do that. 

Yes, I know we aren’t getting Beal. Just spitballing my feelings on building a team. 

11 minutes ago, King Dork said:

You say this. 

But then I read this 

And the reason of course is so that you can have 2 dudes producing at that level. By your logic why put Klay with Steph? You already have one Alltime great shooter, why get another?

You win Championships with overwhelming talent. And I’d jump at a chance to do that. 

Yes, I know we aren’t getting Beal. Just spitballing my feelings on building a team. 

But Golden State drafted both Steph and Klay. They didn’t go out and get Klay at the midpoint of his career when he was already making $30 million. Some of these salaries are paying players for what they’ve already done, not what they’re doing now. If we sign Ja to a couple big contracts and towards the end of his 2nd one, his production drops off, hey, I’m ok with that. Hopefully he’s done a bunch of amazing stuff for us and he deserves it. We did after all get all those really cheap years on his rookie contract. But to do what the Lakers have done and pay someone $36 million for all his previous MVP’s, and All NBA and All-Star teams, and scoring titles, and triple doubles, all for other teams, and now you’re get production similar to some 2nd or 3rd year players out there. It’s wasteful. It’s like being excited that you got married to a playboy bunny, but she’s 80 years old. 

And another thing is fit. How do you know bringing in said superstar will be the right fit for your team, have good chemistry with your other players. KD/Harden/Kyrie is a slam dunk to win a title, right? 

37 minutes ago, King Dork said:

You say this. 

But then I read this 

That argument is not relevant to here. GS drafted their two stars GS, and is also willing to pay luxury tax cause they are a much bigger market.

If we gut our bench and draft assets to trade for Beal, cause that’s the only way we would be able to get him (we don’t have enough cap space to sign him) we’ve made those sacrifices for what? Maybe a one year rental for a guy that likely won’t resign with us when we already had Bane who’s putting up similar numbers to go along with the elite bench. 

That makes no sense for a team like the Grizz to sacrifice all the good work they’ve done for one player whose barely better than the second year guy you have who’s already playing his position.

27 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

That argument is not relevant to here. GS drafted their two stars GS, and is also willing to pay luxury tax cause they are a much bigger market.

If we gut our bench and draft assets to trade for Beal, cause that’s the only way we would be able to get him (we don’t have enough cap space to sign him) we’ve made those sacrifices for what? Maybe a one year rental for a guy that likely won’t resign with us when we already had Bane who’s putting up similar numbers to go along with the elite bench. 

That makes no sense for a team like the Grizz to sacrifice all the good work they’ve done for one player whose barely better than the second year guy you have who’s already playing his position.

The conversation was about giving Beal a max this off-season, not trading for him. If you look at my other post I literally said I wouldn’t trade away any of the players I consider our depth. 

47 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

But Golden State drafted both Steph and Klay. They didn’t go out and get Klay at the midpoint of his career when he was already making $30 million. Some of these salaries are paying players for what they’ve already done, not what they’re doing now. If we sign Ja to a couple big contracts and towards the end of his 2nd one, his production drops off, hey, I’m ok with that. Hopefully he’s done a bunch of amazing stuff for us and he deserves it. We did after all get all those really cheap years on his rookie contract. But to do what the Lakers have done and pay someone $36 million for all his previous MVP’s, and All NBA and All-Star teams, and scoring titles, and triple doubles, all for other teams, and now you’re get production similar to some 2nd or 3rd year players out there. It’s wasteful. It’s like being excited that you got married to a playboy bunny, but she’s 80 years old. 

And another thing is fit. How do you know bringing in said superstar will be the right fit for your team, have good chemistry with your other players. KD/Harden/Kyrie is a slam dunk to win a title, right? 

The only reason KD/Harden/Kyrie aren’t a slam dunk for a title is because they’re all head cases. Beal has had great seasons next to 2 PGs who were comparable to Ja and has never has instances of behavior like those 3. 

Bradley Beal is 28 years old and at the top of his game. A far cry from the Lakers throwing millions away at Bron, Westbrook and Mr. Glass. 

The Grizzlies would still be under the tax with a Maxed Ja, Jaren on his current deal and all the other guys we like as pieces on this roster next season because of all of the good deals this FO have completed over the last few years and the excellent drafting they’ve done. If they could get a dude like that as a Free Agent, they absolutely would. They probably can’t, but they would. 

Edit: And for anyone saying they can’t get that far under the cap. They could easily get ove 30 mil under the cap in this upcoming off-season. 

24 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

C’mon man! He’s just spitballing! He doesn’t think we’ll get Beal!

But you’re also crazy if you don’t think they should theoretically get Beal and just ignore everything you’ve pointed out, duh!

2 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

But you’re also crazy if you don’t think they should theoretically get Beal and just ignore everything you’ve pointed out, duh!

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Beal would be a stud here

18 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I am not ready to make any calls but I will answer them…

(yes. I did. I quoted myself. @lions does it all the time. Why should he get to have all the fun?) 

???

The difference is @lions is just having a conversation with himself.  :lol:

15 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Kyle and Melton are the only two guys i see being available in right deal right now. Like i have said before - i am good with them standing pat.  Every last one of our guys have contributed to our winning this year. So keeping them for the season is justifiable. 

This upcoming playoff run should be the real indicator of who needs to be in longterm plans. Melton, BC, Tillman, Tyus, and Kyle are all 0-1 based on last years playoffs. Des and Jaren get an "Incomplete" as they both did okay considering the situation. Ja and Dillon were 1-0. I wanna see who redeems themselves. 

So, Adams and Tyus are untouchable now despite one being an expiring contract and the other overpaid for his production, but Kyle is still available for a deal and now Melton has replaced Tyus, but you are fine with nothing being done. Is that this month's declaration of truth? You have drastically changed your tune from the start of the season. It is so difficult to keep up with your changing opinions. 

I can't wait to read what you will be saying in February! It should be very entertaining indeed. 

This team needs shooting more than anything. Unless a trade is bringing in a guy that is shooting 38% or higher on 3's, I'd probably rather stand pat and continue to develop.

43 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

The difference is @lions is just having a conversation with himself.  :lol:

the Lion is not feeling well today 

15 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

THiS

and THIS

Kyle and Melton are the only two guys i see being available in right deal right now.   Like i have said before - i am good with them standing pat.  Every last one of our guys have contributed to our winning this year.   So keeping them for the season is justifiable. 

This upcoming playoff run should be the real indicator of who needs to be in longterm plans.   Melton, BC, Tillman, Tyus, and Kyle are all 0-1 based on last years playoffs.    Des and Jaren get an "Incomplete" as they both did okay considering the situation.   Ja and Dillon were 1-0.    I wanna see who redeems themselves. 

0-1? 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So, Adams and Tyus are untouchable now despite one being an expiring contract and the other overpaid for his production, but Kyle is still available for a deal and now Melton has replaced Tyus, but you are fine with nothing being done. Is that this month's declaration of truth? You have drastically changed your tune from the start of the season. It is so difficult to keep up with your changing opinions. 

I can't wait to read what you will be saying in February! It should be very entertaining indeed. 

Nowhere did i write that Adams and Tyus were "untouchable".   Respond to what i write not to "the voices" in your head.  B)

Start of the season we were dead last in defense and 9-10.   We have gone like 21 -5 since then and now have a top 10 offense and defense.   You think maybe that had something to do with my change of opinion of which moves should be made?  

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nowhere did i write that Adams and Tyus were "untouchable".   Respond to what i write not to "the voices" in your head.  B)

Start of the season we were dead last in defense and 9-10.   We have gone like 21 -5 since then and now have a top 10 offense and defense.   You think maybe that had something to do with my change of opinion of which moves should be made?  

I think you constantly change your mind. You get so caught up in short-term situations that you over-react and then have to backtrack on what you used to say.

I have repeatedly warned you to be careful about making big predictions on short-term events (the law of large numbers) and I am repeating it today about the 21-5 record (including a pretty nice 6-1 mark without the head coach on the sidelines). Remember Jarred Culver and your scrub love of his game after two appearances? 

Jason Wexler was quoted saying the Front Office is still looking to improve the team, that they aren't content with the current roster. That doesn't mean that the team will trade Tyus, Steven, Kyle, De'Anthony (who you wanted starting at the beginning of the season if I am not mistaken) or Konchar (who you really disliked a month ago). It simply means the Front Office, who have done a fantastic job building the team so far, is still wanting more. I like that.

I don't know if that means they will do a deal now, in the summer or at all but I am content to wait and see what happens with a front office I trust and who is more consistent than you.  

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea those guys looked overwhelmed in first real playoff series.  

I don't believe the players looked intimidated or overwhelmed at all. They just got beaten in five games against a red-hot team with the best record in the league last season while the Grizzlies who finished 9th in the conference, ran out of gas after a great sprint to reach the playoffs. The team fought hard and never backed down. Utah was simply the better team. I would be happy to see a rematch this season in the first round. 

I'm not 100% positive but I don't believe that was Kyle's first playoff appearance either. Didn't he reach the playoffs with San Antonio a few times...

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think you constantly change your mind. You get so caught up in short-term situations that you over-react and then have to backtrack on what you used to say.

I have repeatedly warned you to be careful about making big predictions on short-term events (the law of large numbers) and I am repeating it today about the 21-5 record (including a pretty nice 6-1 mark without the head coach on the sidelines). Remember Jarred Culver and your scrub love of his game after two appearances? 

Jason Wexler was quoted saying the Front Office is still looking to improve the team, that they aren't content with the current roster. That doesn't mean that the team will trade Tyus, Steven, Kyle, De'Anthony (who you wanted starting at the beginning of the season if I am not mistaken) or Konchar (who you really disliked a month ago). It simply means the Front Office, who have done a fantastic job building the team so far, is still wanting more. I like that.

I don't know if that means they will do a deal now, in the summer or at all but I am content to wait and see what happens with a front office I trust and who is more consistent than you.  

You are same guy that consistently crapped all over Jaren after his injury and claimed he didn't put in work over the summer.   Because he didn't look like an AllStar during that same short stint you are criticizing me for.Pot Calling The Kettle Black GIFs | Tenor