BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

7 hours ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Well that has helped, but a bigger factor is that he’s starting and getting more minutes because we traded Grayson. 

Yes that may be true, but as SVG said yesterday during the telecast that Des is shooting this season with increased efficiency on increased attempts. Increased efficiency is not necessarily a given just because one gets more mins and/or takes more shot attempts.

So while it is up to Des to make those shots, hence, improvement is a factor directly related to him, it can be said that Des has gotten better looks with which to increase that efficiency.

The eye test tells me the screens are better than last year, and Des is in, or placed in, a better position on court to nail those shots.

17 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Grant would not be a backup if he came here. 

But he's almost certainly not coming here, so a moot point anyway. 

I agree with the second point. But who do you think he's starting over? Brooks, who is equally as inefficient but a better defender? Or Adams, which puts your starting PF and C neither having ever averaged 6 rebounds a game? It's easy to say Grant would be a starter because he is a name. But whose place is he taking?

26 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Also re Grant, Jake Fischer wrote today that Memphis is not going after Grant. And that Grant is the biggest prize this trading season, and won't come cheap. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952559-he-fits-everywhere-inside-the-market-for-nba-trade-deadlines-grand-prize

"Memphis has been a popular speculative trade partner for Detroit. Grant's fit alongside Ja Morant, Dillon Brooks, Desmond Bane and Jaren Jackson Jr. is obvious, but the Grizzlies are not expected to make a serious run at him at this time."

HoopsHype is saying that the Lakers are interested in Grant.

Apparently the Lakers are interested in everybody and anybody that will go to them :lol:

There's not many trades I would want to make right now with how well the team is constructed and playing. I only do something to gain assets from an expiring we aren't resigning or to make a long term upgrade.

One of the few calls of make is to Toronto to see if they are interested in Dillon and a first for OG. I like Dillon but I think OG would fit better since he is more efficient, a better shooter, bigger, and in my opinion a better defender especially off ball. Plus I think OG would be a more willing 4th option on offense. Not sure if the raptors would bite but I'd be interested and probably not willing to offer any more assets

3 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I agree with the second point. But who do you think he's starting over? Brooks, who is equally as inefficient but a better defender? Or Adams, which puts your starting PF and C neither having ever averaged 6 rebounds a game? It's easy to say Grant would be a starter because he is a name. But whose place is he taking?

You don't trade BC and two firsts to pay $20M for a backup.

Adams is the answer to your question. 

Just now, Thegoodguys said:

There's not many trades I would want to make right now with how well the team is constructed and playing. I only do something to gain assets from an expiring we aren't resigning or to make a long term upgrade.

One of the few calls of make is to Toronto to see if they are interested in Dillon and a first for OG. I like Dillon but I think OG would fit better since he is more efficient, a better shooter, bigger, and in my opinion a better defender especially off ball. Plus I think OG would be a more willing 4th option on offense. Not sure if the raptors would bite but I'd be interested and probably not willing to offer any more assets

I was liking Chris Boucher from the Raps.  He went for 23/10 and 2 blocks last night.  They STILL lost.  Apparently their bench is garbage and Nurse is running his main guys into the ground.

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Apparently the Lakers are interested in everybody and anybody that will go to them :lol:

Lakers think everyone wants THT. 

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

If it improves the Lakers... we should send the Pistons a shoe box full of cash to grease the skids.  Lol

8 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yes that may be true, but as SVG said yesterday during the telecast that Des is shooting this season with increased efficiency on increased attempts. Increased efficiency is not necessarily a given just because one gets more mins and/or takes more shot attempts.

So while it is up to Des to make those shots, hence, improvement is a factor directly related to him, it can be said that Des has gotten better looks with which to increase that efficiency.

The eye test tells me the screens are better than last year, and Des is in, or placed in, a better position on court to nail those shots.

Oh absolutely, that's part of it too.  Des has definitely improved since last season.  But he's also playing 7.6 minutes more per game this year, which wouldn't be the case if we still had Allen.  

Our biggest weakness right now is shooting. We are 24th in the league in 3 pointers made per game and 21st in 3 point percentage. So who is out there that would help us with that? I think if Sacramento continues to fall out of contention, Harrison Barnes might be available. I think upgrading Kyle to Barnes would help this team a lot. He would be that back up combo PF/ SF. He is a better shooter than Kyle and equivalent defender. He would not bring the playmaking Kyle does. But I think we could survive that. But I am not paying a high price for Barnes either- Kyle, Culver, and their choice of one of our picks this year. I don't really see us making wholesale changes. This would be a move on the margins that is relatively inexpensive and raises our ceiling for this year. 

7 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

You don't trade BC and two firsts to pay $20M for a backup.

Adams is the answer to your question. 

Which is why they shouldn't do the deal. Replacing our best rebounder with a subpar rebounder is a bad move. 

12 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

Been wanting OG for a long time. 

Not trading our best perimeter defender for him though. That doesn't help.

Now if we can send you melton and two firsts . . . 

3 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Which is why they shouldn't do the deal. Replacing our best rebounder with a subpar rebounder is a bad move. 

I don't think the Grizz are interested. But I also think Grant is better than you think he is. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

I don't think the Grizz are interested. But I also think Grant is better than you think he is. 

I think he is a good defender and a great role player. I think he is a terribly inefficient lead option. He shot .429/ .350/ .845 last year for an effective FG% of .491, when the league average was .538. This year he is shooting .414/ .331/ .849 for an effective FG% of .469, when the league average is .523. He's also averaged less than 5 rebounds per game both years. My problem is not with Grant the role player. My problem is with Grant as a main option. If Grant were willing to come here to be a role player, I'd be ecstatic. But I don't think that is how he views himself. Also two firsts, a young player, and $20+ million says that is not how Detroit views him. I don't view him on that level, so I wouldn't pay those prices.

Then again, two years in a row teams gave up two firsts for Robert Covington. I laughed both times. That's too much for a role player. Both teams are regretting it. I just don't want us to be one of those teams that regrets giving up so much for a role guy (Yes, Grant is way better than Covington; part of the Covington trades was the super cheap contract he has).

18 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Been wanting OG for a long time. 

Not trading our best perimeter defender for him though. That doesn't help.

Now if we can send you melton and two firsts . . . 

We would have to send either Kyle or Culver with Melton to match salaries. And I agree it would take at least one additional first on that case. I wouldn't be opposed to that trade either if Toronto took it. My question is what is Dillon's role of we get OG. Does he come off the bench or does Bane? I pretty much just see OG coming in to take over Dillon's role if we trade for him

OG is a better shooting, longer wingspan, less crazy, version of Dillon (despite the wingspan, I think Dillon is a better defender, but only slightly). I wouldn't be opposed to having him. But why would Toronto trade him? Also he stayed pretty dinged up the last two years. Is that a long term durability issue or just a fluke?

18 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

OG is a better shooting, longer wingspan, less crazy, version of Dillon (despite the wingspan, I think Dillon is a better defender, but only slightly). I wouldn't be opposed to having him. But why would Toronto trade him? Also he stayed pretty dinged up the last two years. Is that a long term durability issue or just a fluke?

Yes, OG is unavailable unless for crazy overpayment. 

29 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Because Dillon is still pretty good and they get a pick to continue their rebuild around Barnes. Like I said I'm not sure that they would be interested but I think it's worth a call

question when is the Trade Dead Line 

14 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah ok, I get that - IF it can be done.

But this talk of getting Turner, dumping Adams, dumping Dillon, what have I left out?

It just ain't gonna happen.

I'll say this again for the people who are late to the party:

Turner is crying about his role in Indiana. He wants more ball and be more the centre of attention. How is that gonna happen with one ball to be shared between Ja, Des, Jaren, Dillon, Tyus, Brandon, the Kid?

This is the PRECISE reason why Adams is valued. He does all the things none of the guys I just mentioned do, without getting in the way of any of them.

How good is that?

THiS

14 hours ago, King Dork said:

People forget to win a championship, you need championship role players also. Steven Adams is the type of big every great PG needs. He sets hard screens, gets rebounds and doesn’t care about points. Dillon takes on the best player on the other team and plays hard 100% of the time, we all wish he’d shoot less but we also wished TA didn’t miss layups ??‍♂️.

We have all of the big scores we need, the only deals I’m making are ones that don’t require us to give away depth. I think Konchar, Tyus & BC are needed to win in the postseason. And I’m pretty sure Ja, Bane, Dillon, Jaren and Adams aren’t going nowhere. Ziaire is probably safe because he’s shown promise as a rookie.

Everybody else can roll for the right price. 

and THIS

Kyle and Melton are the only two guys i see being available in right deal right now.   Like i have said before - i am good with them standing pat.  Every last one of our guys have contributed to our winning this year.   So keeping them for the season is justifiable. 

This upcoming playoff run should be the real indicator of who needs to be in longterm plans.   Melton, BC, Tillman, Tyus, and Kyle are all 0-1 based on last years playoffs.    Des and Jaren get an "Incomplete" as they both did okay considering the situation.   Ja and Dillon were 1-0.    I wanna see who redeems themselves. 

15 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Fantasy.

Obviously you didn't watch the game today.

Or watch many of the games this season.

Steven Adams was handpicked by the Grizzlies FO.

Steven Adams is the leading O rebounder in the NBA

The Grizzlies are #2 in the NBA on 2nd chance pts.

Lol I watched yesterday as well as most of the games, and I'll be watching in the playoffs when teams clamp on Ja and we have no one else on the roster who can make it happen on their own consistently. Beal may not be the guy with his age and contract, and we should probably be aiming for more of a star forward type, but it'll be borderline impossible to win it all without an elite 2nd option - Bane and DB are great but you aren't relying on them to help carry a team when it matters most deep in a playoff run. I'd prefer to find that piece in the draft for long-term cap health but not really seeing that in this draft, at least not anywhere we could feasibly trade up to.

Also Jaren is the long term 5. We all love Steven Adams but he is a bridge. 

13 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

February 10th

Thanks i.m  going to the February 12th Game vs Charlotte so maybe I can see our NEW Grizzlies in person 

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

THiS

and THIS

Kyle and Melton are the only two guys i see being available in right deal right now.   Like i have said before - i am good with them standing pat.  Every last one of our guys have contributed to our winning this year.   So keeping them for the season is justifiable. 

This upcoming playoff run should be the real indicator of who needs to be in longterm plans.   Melton, BC, Tillman, Tyus, and Kyle are all 0-1 based on last years playoffs.    Des and Jaren get an "Incomplete" as they both did okay considering the situation.   Ja and Dillon were 1-0.    I wanna see who redeems themselves. 

I think that's a good point. We'll see what everyone can bring in the playoffs. If Kyle doesn't do well, just don't re-sign him (which is probably the most likely scenario given we already have Tillie under contract plus 3 firsts to find a replacement). Same with Tyus, though he's more likely to return. 

With the way BC has been playing lately, there's not many people I would give him up for.