BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

4 minutes ago, King Dork said:

People forget to win a championship, you need championship role players also. Steven Adams is the type of big every great PG needs. He sets hard screens, gets rebounds and doesn’t care about points. Dillon takes on the best player on the other team and plays hard 100% of the time, we all wish he’d shoot less but we also wished TA didn’t miss layups ??‍♂️.

We have all of the big scores we need, the only deals I’m making are ones that don’t require us to give away depth. I think Konchar, Tyus & BC are needed to win in the postseason. And I’m pretty sure Ja, Bane, Dillon, Jaren and Adams aren’t going nowhere. Ziaire is probably safe because he’s shown promise as a rookie.

Everybody else can roll for the right price. 

Yep bro, that's pretty much how I see it too, and said so before in this thread.

What that actually brings us in returns, that's the 64 million dollar question.

And that's where the focus of discussion should be because I'm pretty sure the FO sees it the same way as you just laid it out here.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:34 AM, toocoolkellz said:

Don't see a big 6 foot 7 defender and scorer sitting around. Most of them would cost you more than what we're willing to pay. I would like to see if the Spurs would be willing to give up walker

Jerami Grant for Slow Mo/Melton/pick(s)

Creates minutes for Jitty too

1 hour ago, tjazz22 said:

Jerami Grant for Slow Mo/Melton/pick(s)

Creates minutes for Jitty too

I dont think we can rob the pistons that bad 

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Why has Desmond Bane almost doubled in scoring PPG this season compared to last?

A: In short, Steven Adams.

Adams is setting brick wall screens and the handoffs to Des is leaving him wide open to nail shots.

It happened in this game over and over.

And this isn't the only game it's happened

Does anyone, Jaren included, set screens like that? 

Did JV set screens like that?

Well that has helped, but a bigger factor is that he’s starting and getting more minutes because we traded Grayson. 

7 hours ago, King Dork said:

Can someone explain to me why having Bane means we wouldn’t be interested in Beal? Why in the twilight zone would the Grizzlies not sign Beal if he wanted to come here?

He won’t by the way. Just weirds me out that folks don’t want other good players because we currently have good players. I want 5 wings who can give me 30 on any given night if I could get them. 

This is why look at the per 100 possessions stat Bradley Beal costs almost 10x’s as much as Bane but their production is similar. Why bring in a guy who’s gonna cost you that much when you already have a guy who is producing similarly at a fraction of the price. If you want to spend 30+ million on one player Not named Ja, Jaren, Bane, or Dillion how about you go find a big sf who can defend at an elite level and score, or the perfect big that can fit next to Jaren. Sg is not the spot that needs upgrading.

One more leap in his game and Desmond Bane is a star in the league and we picked him at 30th

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=banede01&player_id1=bealbr01&sum=0&request=1

Appears Tillie is not able to be traded yet.

Bobby Marks: 96% of NBA players are now eligible to be traded Below is the list of players that are still ineligible: Restriction date ·G. Payton II (1/19) ·M. Smart (1/25) ·T. Rozier (1/30) ·J. Randle (2/3) Cannot be traded ·C. Capela ·A. McKinnie ·A. Gordon ·G. Mathews ·M. Brogdon ·K. Sykes ·T. Mann ·K. Tillie ·W. Matthews ·J. Embiid ·B. Biyombo ·D.

8 hours ago, King Dork said:

Can someone explain to me why having Bane means we wouldn’t be interested in Beal? Why in the twilight zone would the Grizzlies not sign Beal if he wanted to come here?

He won’t by the way. Just weirds me out that folks don’t want other good players because we currently have good players. I want 5 wings who can give me 30 on any given night if I could get them. 

It's not that they don't want good players.  It's just that they're not deluded by these high priced free agent fantasies.  Also, when it comes to trades, sometimes two really good players are better than one superstar.

Just because a player is good on another team doesn't always make the new team better, stats isn't the only thing. 

I believe a solid defender that plays for a fairly bad team will play good enough to where their current team can’t afford to keep them . 

Then we get a call .

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's not that they don't want good players.  It's just that they're not deluded by these high priced free agent fantasies.  Also, when it comes to trades, sometimes two really good players are better than one superstar.

And it's not something that's evaluated for this exact point in time and only this exact point in time.  Beal is 28 years old.  I think he is probably past the peak of his career.  He's making $33 million this year, and $36 million next year with player option.  If we want him, we will have to give up assets.  If we traded for him, we would only get him for the remainder of this season, and next season (assuming he picks up the player option.)  After that, he's a free agent, so there's no guarantee we resign him.  So, we gave up significant assets, and paid a lot of money to an aging, past his peak (yes he's still very good), player for less than a season and a half.  When someone is saying they don't want him, all these things and more are being taken into consideration.  If I could blink and he's magically on our team without losing anything and being paid something that fits within our budget and future budget - I would take that in a heart beat.  But would I want him considering all factors and what we'd have to give up - no.  

On 1/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, ALT GRIND said:

This three team Grizzlies/Magic/Kings mega trade works (at least according to ESPN Trade Machine):

Magic gets Culver.

Kings get: Slo Mo/Melton/Tillman/Aldama

Grizzlies get: Bamba/Harrison Barnes/Tyrese Halliburton

Grizzlies probably have to give up some of their draft pick stock pile:  Most of Lakers pick/Grizz pick/Jazz pick/future Warriors pick/future Grizzlies pick would probably have to be in play, ALTHOUGH the other two teams have picks (so maybe we trade our first rounders/a future first for cash/trade exceptions/2nd round pick war chest).  As of right now, the Kings have picks at 39 and 58.  The Magic have picks at 31 and 35.  

Grizzlies rotation would then be:

Starters:  Ja Morant/Dillon Brooks/Harrison Barnes/Jaren Jackson, Jr./Steven Adams

Bench mob: Tyus Jones/Tyrese Halliburton/Desmond Bane/Brandon Clarke/Mo Bamba

3rd string: Tyrell Terry/John Konchar/ZW8/Pons/Tillie

World class 11 1/2 man or 12 1/2 man rotation.

We would be sending out one more player than we would be bringing back so maybe we rummage through the Emergency Use Authorization free agent stock pile OR wait for the "Buy Out" Binge (if it happens).

If we lose all 3 firsts AT WORST we get a few second rounders where we can go after Draft/Stash guys.  Our roster would be over flowing anyway.  

That has less chance of happening than the likelihood of someone off the street being able to get everyone's names spelled correctly. 

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Kind of a bad look for the Nuggets org that Detroit finds out how serious Bol Bill’s foot issue was. 

Maybe they didn't want to evaluate it, so they didn't know, and were hoping they could sneak it by Detroit (plausible deniability) 

5 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I believe a solid defender that plays for a fairly bad team will play good enough to where their current team can’t afford to keep them . 

Then we get a call .

I am not ready to make any calls but I will answer them…

(yes. I did. I quoted myself. @lions does it all the time. Why should he get to have all the fun?) 

???

Per @BobbyMarks42, MEM checks all the boxes for what Detroit would want (draft picks, young guys, salary) - with the Pistons possibly being able to snag two 1st round picks from MEM.

https://twitter.com/pistonoftheday/status/1483459479777816582?s=27

2 First Round Picks is apparently the going price, why not? Only reason I can think not to is team chemistry.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

That has less chance of happening than the likelihood of someone off the street being able to get everyone's names spelled correctly. 

With Myles Turner sidelined and Bol Bol broken broken, Mo Bamba's price keeps going up...  Is he the "big name" now?  Wow.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

That plus I dont think he is worth what we would have to give to get him…

2 minutes ago, justinhoppy said:

Per @BobbyMarks42, MEM checks all the boxes for what Detroit would want (draft picks, young guys, salary) - with the Pistons possibly being able to snag two 1st round picks from MEM.

2 First Round Picks is apparently the going price, why not? Only reason I can think not to is team chemistry.

That was from The Hoop Collective pod. I don't listen often, but did today. Windhorst annoying as ever re trade rumors "I don't know if I can say what I've heard. I think I'll just keep it to myself."  But I guarantee as soon as a surprise move is announced, fat Windy will be talking about he knew about it two weeks ago.

Marks is pretty good. He had suggested this trade in his trade guide.

Kyle, BC, Culver, 22 first, 24 first.

for

Jerami Grant, Rodney McGruder and Luka Garza.

But Marks isn't reporting, just saying he thinks this makes sense. 

Also re Grant, Jake Fischer wrote today that Memphis is not going after Grant. And that Grant is the biggest prize this trading season, and won't come cheap. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952559-he-fits-everywhere-inside-the-market-for-nba-trade-deadlines-grand-prize

"Memphis has been a popular speculative trade partner for Detroit. Grant's fit alongside Ja Morant, Dillon Brooks, Desmond Bane and Jaren Jackson Jr. is obvious, but the Grizzlies are not expected to make a serious run at him at this time."

11 minutes ago, justinhoppy said:

Because you don't give up two first round picks, a young player(s), and pay $25 million for someone to be a backup. If Grant came here, he's the new Kyle Anderson, backup PF, occasional SF. On top of that, Grant has been really inefficient in his current role with the Pistons, last year and this year. His best seasons were with Denver as a piece of the puzzle. He has already let it be know that he doesn't want to be that, when he turned down the same money from Denver. He went from a winning situation to a losing one to prove he can do more. He can- just not very well. So now we are supposed to be a high trade demand and a high salary to someone who doesn't want to be a sub but would be? The only way he becomes a starter is to slide Jaren to center and play Grant at PF. Then we are starting two very poor rebounders. He wouldn't start over Bane or Brooks. Bane is the better shooter. Brooks is the better defender. Just my opinion, but I think Brooks would actually do better than Grant if given the same role and freedom with the Pistons.

5 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Because you don't give up two first round picks, a young player(s), and pay $25 million for someone to be a backup. If Grant came here, he's the new Kyle Anderson, backup PF, occasional SF. On top of that, Grant has been really inefficient in his current role with the Pistons, last year and this year. His best seasons were with Denver as a piece of the puzzle. He has already let it be know that he doesn't want to be that, when he turned down the same money from Denver. He went from a winning situation to a losing one to prove he can do more. He can- just not very well. So now we are supposed to be a high trade demand and a high salary to someone who doesn't want to be a sub but would be? The only way he becomes a starter is to slide Jaren to center and play Grant at PF. Then we are starting two very poor rebounders. He wouldn't start over Bane or Brooks. Bane is the better shooter. Brooks is the better defender. Just my opinion, but I think Brooks would actually do better than Grant if given the same role and freedom with the Pistons.

Grant would not be a backup if he came here. 

But he's almost certainly not coming here, so a moot point anyway.