BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I knew it and yall wanna give up 4 first round picks for this guy to come sit on the bench and be a 5th option?

Every player doesnt have to share you guys death lineup dream.  Some are more about that paper.

+100    Trading for OG then bringing him off the bench would be a lockerroom killing move.   Cant' see the FO doing that.    ONLY 2 ways you  can add OG: either swap him for Dillon OR Convince Dillon to come off the bench.     

Raise  your hand if you think Dillon's bad shot selection IMPROVES with him coming off the bench?   hmmm no hands i see.   

Truthfully, it doesn't make sense to trade OG because he is so young.    They should just traade Siakim and VanVleet for picks and prospects.  Then start over around Scotty and OG.    

As much as we all get frustrated with Dillon his defense is on par with OG but his shot-creation abilty and ballhandling is much better.   We need more shot creators and shooters.   Not just defensive wings.  

5 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Add Doug McDermott to the target list he’s someone I actually could see the FO making a call about 

I hope not.   Dougie doesn't play defense - he is one of the worse in the entire league.     Only guy i want from SAS is Josh Richardson.   It would also be nice if we could swap tillman for an actual real backup Center.   Heck id even bring Gorgui back. 

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

if og is truly available, the fo should make a very serious, aggressive run at him. 

slim. 

If for no other reason than to drive up the price of whoever gets him, the Grizzlies should be making inquiries and "accidently" let it slip to the  media. 😉

I could be wrong but I am willing to bet the team doesn't make any moves heading into the trade deadline. They could cause teams to overpay for the players who do get traded however. 

37 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

+100    Trading for OG then bringing him off the bench would be a lockerroom killing move.   Cant' see the FO doing that.    ONLY 2 ways you  can add OG: either swap him for Dillon OR Convince Dillon to come off the bench.     

Raise  your hand if you think Dillon's bad shot selection IMPROVES with him coming off the bench?   hmmm no hands i see.   

Truthfully, it doesn't make sense to trade OG because he is so young.    They should just traade Siakim and VanVleet for picks and prospects.  Then start over around Scotty and OG.    

As much as we all get frustrated with Dillon his defense is on par with OG but his shot-creation abilty and ballhandling is much better.   We need more shot creators and shooters.   Not just defensive wings.  

Dillon is one of the least efficient players in the league. He does not have good shot creation ability. Any, and I many literally any, NBA player can take 2 dribbles to the side and launch a leaning contested mid range. the other teams want that to happen. They're dying for it to happen, it's  the least efficient shot in the entire league. It's a win when he does it. Other teams consider it a win on the possession, even when he happens to make it 36% of the time.

2 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Dillon is one of the least efficient players in the league. He does not have good shot creation ability. Any, and I many literally any, NBA player can take 2 dribbles to the side and launch a leaning contested mid range. the other teams want that to happen. They're dying for it to happen, it's  the least efficient shot in the entire league. It's a win when he does it. Other teams consider it a win on the possession, even when he happens to make it 36% of the time.

I am not denying that replacing Dillon with a lower usage OG can improve the lineup.  Sorta how replacing JV with Adams improved the offense by giving more possessions to Ja and Bane. 

But it would not solve this issue of not having a real backup wing we can depend on UNLESS we bring Dillon off the bench.   

I just think bringing in OG has a chance to really disrupt the team in a negative way  and much riskier than just getting some steady cheaper backup Vet wing.  

For example does swapping out Dillon for OG make us better if our bench is still Ziaire and Konchar?    Or would keeping Dillon and adding a Josh Richardson improve us more? 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I am not denying that replacing Dillon with a lower usage OG can improve the lineup.  Sorta how replacing JV with Adams improved the offense by giving more possessions to Ja and Bane. 

But it would not solve this issue of not having a real backup wing we can depend on UNLESS we bring Dillon off the bench.   

I just think bringing in OG has a chance to really disrupt the team in a negative way  and much riskier than just getting some steady cheaper backup Vet wing.  

For example does swapping out Dillon for OG make us better if our bench is still Ziaire and Konchar?    Or would keeping Dillon and adding a Josh Richardson improve us more? 

I would keep dillon and add OG. I'm not advocating trading Dillon. OG has never had character or locker room issues in Toronto, don't see how adding him could be a problem.

And quite frankly, if one of the least efficient players in the NBA can't accept not chucking bad shots 17 times/game to give the team a better chance to win, then we can't let somebody like that hold the team hostage because we're afraid he'll get upset. 

If we can get OG for Green + ZW, LaRavia, Konchar or Roddy + 2 lottery protected 1st round picks I'd say we have to do it.  Definitely improves our chances to win the title this season and we are actually oh so close we have to give it our best effort.  Only issue I see is potentially with re-signing Brooks in the offseason but I think we could still do it.  I don't think Brooks will be all that expensive to resign because his value is more hidden from the box score than other guys.

My favorite dream all-in scenario is to trade Green, Tyus, LaRavia, Ziaire + picks to Chicago for DeMar DeRozan and Alex Caruso.  At some point Chicago needs to cash out and rebuild and I'd like to take advantage of that.  

24 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I would keep dillon and add OG. I'm not advocating trading Dillon. OG has never had character or locker room issues in Toronto, don't see how adding him could be a problem.

And quite frankly, if one of the least efficient players in the NBA can't accept not chucking bad shots 17 times/game to give the team a better chance to win, then we can't let somebody like that hold the team hostage because we're afraid he'll get upset. 

OG doesn't want to come off the bench.  He actually wants a larger role than he has in TOR.  So are you sending Dillon to the bench?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/

• Two other Spurs are also in demand, with Scotto viewing one or two second-round picks as the price for Doug McDermott and one second-rounder enough to land Josh Richardson. McDermott is under contract for $13.75MM in 2023/24, while Richardson is headed toward free agency.
  • The Grizzlies are an interesting team to watch if the Raptors decide to part with OG Anunoby, Yossi Gozlan of HoopsHype adds in the same piece. Memphis owns all its first-round picks, along with a Warriors first-rounder in 2024 that’s top-four protected. Gozlan believes the Grizzlies might offer Danny Green and a young asset like Ziaire Williams in addition to draft capital, although Toronto might insist on Dillon Brooks. Other teams that could get involved in the Anunoby bidding, according to Gozlan, include the Trail Blazers, who reportedly offered the No. 7 pick to Toronto for Anunoby before last year’s draft, along with the Knicks, Kings and Suns.

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

OG doesn't want to come off the bench.  He actually wants a larger role than he has in TOR.  So are you sending Dillon to the bench?

Could you link to an article or something that you are basing that off of?  Seems to me he has a pretty large role in TOR already.  He is 14th in the NBA in minutes played.

11 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Could you link to an article or something that you are basing that off of?  Seems to me he has a pretty large role in TOR already.  He is 14th in the NBA in minutes played.

Yeah thats the other thing I was looking at.  He is 17.5 ppg in 36 mins.  Thats a point every two mins for quick math. Here especially off the bench he goes to like 28-30 mins.  So that becomes 14-15 ppg a game in that time played.  Then you factor is playing with more guys who command the ball then that could be 12-13 ppg easily.

He is going into next year trying to get that third career contract.  Biggest contract of a lifetime for most players. And stats equals money. Like I dont see him being cool with this like everyone thinks.  Sure he will probably do his job and all cause he seems like a professional but do you really want a guy who you know is out as soon as he can leave after paying a premium price for him?

Just me but when you pay big prices the player should be a perfect fit for his goals and the team goals.  Eg. Donovan Mitchell or Jrue Holiday.  

8 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

@BigHunkALove posted this earlier and i have read similar statements before in regards to OG desire to more of a focal on offense. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2023/01/23/its-time-for-the-raptors-to-truly-embrace-the-tank-there-are-many-ways-to-finish-the-job.html

And if you want to really change the mix and depth of assets around this team you consider moving Anunoby or Siakam, and this is where things get more complicated. Anunoby is still just 25, and his defence is superb. But his shot creation remains relatively rudimentary, even as he is said to want a bigger offensive role. His salary is easy to move or pair with another contract; he could fit easily into a number of teams. And he would bring back a lot.

37 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah thats the other thing I was looking at.  He is 17.5 ppg in 36 mins.  Thats a point every two mins for quick math. Here especially off the bench he goes to like 28-30 mins.  So that becomes 14-15 ppg a game in that time played.  Then you factor is playing with more guys who command the ball then that could be 12-13 ppg easily.

He is going into next year trying to get that third career contract.  Biggest contract of a lifetime for most players. And stats equals money. Like I dont see him being cool with this like everyone thinks.  Sure he will probably do his job and all cause he seems like a professional but do you really want a guy who you know is out as soon as he can leave after paying a premium price for him?

Just me but when you pay big prices the player should be a perfect fit for his goals and the team goals.  Eg. Donovan Mitchell or Jrue Holiday.  

we are entering a different time as far as a franchise. teams that have a legitimate shot at a title shift things a little for the run. it has been happening for a very long time. the picks are great, but are they not more of a stockpile luxury at this point? 

slim.

1 hour ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yea I agree with you when I think of shot creation I think of guys like Jordan Poole, Kevin Porter Jr Jordan Clarkson both Boston wings. Dillon isn’t on par with those types of shot creators. 

Dillon should be the main guy in a trade package it’s the Rudy Gay situation all over again except this time the team is in a much better spot asset wise and record wise. Only way they should do an OG deal is if it includes Dillon then use Green in a separate deal to bring in a bench wing that can create their own offense and not be a detriment on defense.

the counter argument for not making an aggressive move right now is the clear adolescent growing pains we are currently displaying. it is painful to watch. 

slim.

8 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

the counter argument for not making an aggressive move right now is the clear adolescent growing pains we are currently displaying. it is painful to watch. 

slim.

Only problem with that is we know come playoff time this roster won’t be enough they just seem like a few pieces away from having a real shot. Unless Roddy and LaRavia go nuclear in the second half of the season which we all know won’t happen. The Grizz don’t have enough firepower for a long playoff push 

6 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Only problem with that is we know come playoff time this roster won’t be enough they just seem like a few pieces away from having a real shot. Unless Roddy and LaRavia go nuclear in the second half of the season which we all know won’t happen. The Grizz don’t have enough firepower for a long playoff push 

I think yall are way overreaching on the "we dont have a bench narrative." Like most teams dont have but 1-3 bench players that they feel good about.  I would like to add a Josh Richardson or Alec Burks but I dont see more than that needed.

Take Denver from example.  They got Bruce Brown, maybe uncle Jeff but do yall really think they feel good about the rest.  Take Bones Hyland, outside looking in he is a nice scoring threat.  He has a net rating of -7.4.  -7.4 on the second best team in the league do you know how bad he must really be for this to happen?  A lot of teams have guys who put up decent stats (like Santi Aldama) but internally they are question marks.

I don't think the Raps would want anyone less than Brooks or Clarke back for OG. And I definitely don't think they'd want back Green my understanding is he backed out of resigning with them when Kawhi left and Masai+Co were ticked off about that.

Anyways there really isn't a need to make a swing for the fences type trade like that just yet. That's more likely in the offseason. They obviously intend to see what Green has left in the tank so it seems he'll stick around and it's just a little too soon to trade one of the young projects. If anything a small trade is more likely. One guy that's been mentioned a few times already; Jalen McDaniels. Would be a perfect fit and probably pretty easy to get. I think maybe Tillman+1st+2nds would do it. Then in the offseason it would be easier to think about moving on from ZW, Laravia or s&t Brooks.

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I think yall are way overreaching on the "we dont have a bench narrative." Like most teams dont have but 1-3 bench players that they feel good about.  I would like to add a Josh Richardson or Alec Burks but I dont see more than that needed.

Take Denver from example.  They got Bruce Brown, maybe uncle Jeff but do yall really think they feel good about the rest.  Take Bones Hyland, outside looking in he is a nice scoring threat.  He has a net rating of -7.4.  -7.4 on the second best team in the league do you know how bad he must really be for this to happen?  A lot of teams have guys who put up decent stats (like Santi Aldama) but internally they are question marks.

True, which is why ive repeatedly said that Playable Danny Green would be a huge help and if he is a no - go get Josh Richardson. 

However, i do think the skillsets/limitations of our most impactful role players is kind of a problem. 

As you pointed out many of the top teams would kill for the type of production our top role players such as Adams, Tyus, and BC give.  Problem is they are extremely limited in position they play not versatile at all.    Adams and BC can't play together and Tyus is a small PG so its hard to play him alongside Ja.     The versatile role guys we have mainly suck or are too inconsistent.  That is the main reason there is an argument that we need an additional player.  I prefer one that is versatile enough positionally that he can fit easily with Ja Bane and Jaren.   Josh Richardson is easy plug in being capable in either wing spot.  Doug McDermott not. OG is versatile enough of course.  Same with Burkes.  Danny can work too. 

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I understand your point I’m just basing my argument off of the playoff last year we didn’t have enough firepower to contend with GS because Ja was hurt and Bane was banged up. I think had the Grizz been able to dispatch the Wolves quicker at the very least Bane would have been closer to 100% for GS . So honestly we barely had enough firepower for the Wolves. 

Adding another wing who is consistent on both sides of the court would be beneficial. Moving Dillon for someone like OG would also be beneficial because we know OG won’t shoot us out of games like Dillon does. 

6 minutes ago, cdp said:

I don't think the Raps would want anyone less than Brooks or Clarke back for OG. And I definitely don't think they'd want back Green my understanding is he backed out of resigning with them when Kawhi left and Masai+Co were ticked off about that.

Anyways there really isn't a need to make a swing for the fences type trade like that just yet. That's more likely in the offseason. They obviously intend to see what Green has left in the tank so it seems he'll stick around and it's just a little too soon to trade one of the young projects. If anything a small trade is more likely. One guy that's been mentioned a few times already; Jalen McDaniels. Would be a perfect fit and probably pretty easy to get. I think maybe Tillman+1st+2nds would do it. Then in the offseason it would be easier to think about moving on from ZW, Laravia or s&t Brooks.

I don’t think after last year anyone will be satisfied with not at least looking like they made a deal with the playoffs in mind. This look and see what Danny Green has talk is blowing my mind. He’s an expiring contract they are going to bring him back next year and coming off an Injury he won’t be 100% till next season anyways. That would be a complete waste of a spot if they carried him through the deadline. Hell I’d rather they bring Crowder back than figure out if Danny Green is any good or not.

Jalen McDaniels is a nice piece but he doesn’t have any or much playoff experience so he could end up just being another body on the roster instead of a contributor. 

7 minutes ago, cdp said:

Yea TOR gonna want real player back.  Only way i want OG is if we know Dillon isn't gonna resign.   No need for swing for fences type move.  Our Top 7 guys are Elite together.  

If they are willing to swap McDaniels for Jitty +2nd then i am all for that.  Otherwise i don't see him as a needle mover.  Can he play SF?  We have enough PF's already on roster. 

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

True, which is why ive repeatedly said that Playable Danny Green would be a huge help and if he is a no - go get Josh Richardson. 

However, i do think the skillsets/limitations of our most impactful role players is kind of a problem. 

As you pointed out many of the top teams would kill for the type of production our top role players such as Adams, Tyus, and BC give.  Problem is they are extremely limited in position they play not versatile at all.    Adams and BC can't play together and Tyus is a small PG so its hard to play him alongside Ja.     The versatile role guys we have mainly suck or are too inconsistent.  That is the main reason there is an argument that we need an additional player.  I prefer one that is versatile enough positionally that he can fit easily with Ja Bane and Jaren.   Josh Richardson is easy plug in being capable in either wing spot.  Doug McDermott not. OG is versatile enough of course.  Same with Burkes.  Danny can work too. 

If Danny Green is a no go how do you get Josh Richardson why would SA want Green I mean I know they are tanking but both of them are expiring. I think trying to move Green after they have determined he doesn’t have it would make the price go up in a trade unless a team is just giving a player away.

1 hour ago, kevofrommempho said:

If we can get OG for Green + ZW, LaRavia, Konchar or Roddy + 2 lottery protected 1st round picks I'd say we have to do it.  Definitely improves our chances to win the title this season and we are actually oh so close we have to give it our best effort.  Only issue I see is potentially with re-signing Brooks in the offseason but I think we could still do it.  I don't think Brooks will be all that expensive to resign because his value is more hidden from the box score than other guys.

My favorite dream all-in scenario is to trade Green, Tyus, LaRavia, Ziaire + picks to Chicago for DeMar DeRozan and Alex Caruso.  At some point Chicago needs to cash out and rebuild and I'd like to take advantage of that.  

I'm sorry but your dream scenario is my nightmare. Trading Tyus is the absolute last thing we should be doing.

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

If Danny Green is a no go how do you get Josh Richardson why would SA want Green I mean I know they are tanking but both of them are expiring. I think trying to move Green after they have determined he doesn’t have it would make the price go up in a trade unless a team is just giving a player away.

Hobbled Danny plus a protected 1rst rd pick could do the trick.    Question is do you think Josh is worth a 1rst?

• San Antonio wants solid returns for both McDermott and Richardson, a source informs Ellis. The Spurs want a first-round draft pick for Richardson, while also hoping for solid value out of McDermott. “Dougie won’t be traded for a second round pick, I can tell you that,” the source told Ellis.