Jump to content
BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

Who would we possibly even want from the Knicks, oft- injured Derrick Rose? Evan Fournier? (Don't say Burks, he's just a worse version of Melton).They'd be far better served just developing Quickley at PG if I'm being honest. 

The Knicks need to rebuild off this core probably. Move Randle to the Blazers, give Quickley, Toppin, Grimes, McBride, Sims, and Reddish all the minutes they can handle (plus in theory their 2 firsts after trading Randle). They won't do that obviously, but they'll learn at some point it just isn't going to be possible to win with Randle as your top guy. 

Burks would be solid bench addition.   6'6' good shooter and can create his own shot   Why would that be a problem?    Or fleece them for some of their young talent.   I'll take a flier on Obi, Sims  Grimes or McBride.      

Thibs not gonna develop any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Burks would be solid bench addition.   6'6' good shooter and can create his own shot   Why would that be a problem?    Or fleece them for some of their young talent.   I'll take a flier on Obi, Sims  Grimes or McBride.      

Thibs not gonna develop any of them. 

Because he's terribly inefficient, shot less than 40% from the field. We're already bad enough from the field, don't need to add to that. He's actually a good defender, but he's on the wrong side of 30 at this point. 

Thibs just needs to be fired as well. I think Obi would be pretty nice on this team honestly. Lob threat, decent rebounder, good looking stroke so could reasonably improve from deep, good effort on defense, even if he's not a lock down defender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Because he's terribly inefficient, shot less than 40% from the field. We're already bad enough from the field, don't need to add to that. He's actually a good defender, but he's on the wrong side of 30 at this point. 

Thibs just needs to be fired as well. I think Obi would be pretty nice on this team honestly. Lob threat, decent rebounder, good looking stroke so could reasonably improve from deep, good effort on defense, even if he's not a lock down defender. 

He shot .40% from 3 tho and is only 30y.     2 way player with good guard size that can handle the ball/shoot and experienced vet.   Cmon who do ya'll think we are gonna get to come off the bench?  Ray Allen?   Whoever it is will have Worts.   

They aint firing Thibs and he don't like Toppin so maybe we convince them to throw him in.   I am game for that. 

I think S&T is possible not saying with Knicks but with whoever wants Tyus.   Remember that's what we did for Delon.   He didn't get paid more to play for Dallas than we would have paid him.    It was the role he wanted.   So we helped him/dallas get him for the money he wanted while also scoring a couple of picks.    no reason it cant be done for Tyus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He shot .40% from 3 tho and is only 30y.     2 way player with good guard size that can handle the ball/shoot and experienced vet.   Cmon who do ya'll think we are gonna get to come off the bench?  Ray Allen?   Whoever it is will have Worts.   

They aint firing Thibs and he don't like Toppin so maybe we convince them to throw him in.   I am game for that. 

I think S&T is possible not saying with Knicks but with whoever wants Tyus.   Remember that's what we did for Delon.   He didn't get paid more to play for Dallas than we would have paid him.    It was the role he wanted.   So we helped him/dallas get him for the money he wanted while also scoring a couple of picks.    no reason it cant be done for Tyus. 

Again the problem is he's not even better than melton, and certainly won't be playing over ZW, so what is even the benefit for us? Melton averages more points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per 36. And melton is 6 years younger and has 1 more year on his deal. 10 million is a lot to pay your 11th man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Who would we possibly even want from the Knicks, oft- injured Derrick Rose? Evan Fournier? (Don't say Burks, he's just a worse version of Melton).They'd be far better served just developing Quickley at PG if I'm being honest. 

The Knicks need to rebuild off this core probably. Move Randle to the Blazers, give Quickley, Toppin, Grimes, McBride, Sims, and Reddish all the minutes they can handle (plus in theory their 2 firsts after trading Randle). They won't do that obviously, but they'll learn at some point it just isn't going to be possible to win with Randle as your top guy. 

I would do a S&T Tyus to the Knicks for Reddish. He is one of the young wings I hoped we would go after in the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, JittyForTheCity said:

I would very much overpay for an elite wing on Ja, Jaren and Bane's timeline. Keep in mind other teams would be offering greater value than multiple picks in the 20s.

Caveat being, I don't know if our FO believes OG is elite.

I think it is much harder to build an elite starting line up than it is to build up bench depth.

The Lakers probably thought they were giving up a pick in the 20s this past season also...

Three picks is a haul for any team to give up for one player. For one player who has played a combined 91 games in the last two seasons and is being shipped off (not demanding a trade) seems way over market price. Throwing in three players who contribute on top of that including one potential starter is just an insane offer in my eyes.

If I was Toronto I couldn't say yes fast enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10037274-latest-nba-offseason-intel-does-og-anunoby-want-out-of-toronto

 

However, league personnel believe Toronto would require far more than Hart and the seventh pick to part with Anunoby, considered to be a darling of Raptors lead executive Masai Ujiri. Anunoby's trade value is seen as greater than Detroit's known asking price for Grant: two first-round picks or a first and a promising rookie-scale prospect.

 

After further thinking on this.   I would consider Dillon + Santi + #29 for OG.   That seems more than fair to me.  they get a "Canadian" starting wing + rookie scale prospect + 1rst rd pick.  

That is a "win-now" type of move that wouldn't break the bank or disrupt our future.   OG is athletic and strong enough to play position 2-4.  Plus he is a scoring threat but much more within the offense than Dillon ever has been.  He shoots corner 3s and will defend best opposing player. 

Ja/Bane/OG/Jaren/Adams would be a championship level lineup. 

I don't see Toronto actually moving off of him UNLESS he truly is an injury-risk ala Justise Winslow.   But im willing to gamble Dillon and Santi to see.  I'd still want to keep a pick and draft a defensive minded wing with size (Wendall Moore at least) as OG insurance. 

That trade actually makes some sense. It all depends on how much the team values Aldama. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, smit-tay griz said:

Do statistics really back this up or does he have "Strotential"?

Very fair question. If we are looking at last season, OG's 43 games played makes any multiple contributing player plus picks look bad on paper. OG hasn't played 70 games in a season since his rookie year which has to lower his trade value somewhat as well. 

The concept people are working on is OG would slide into Dillon's starting role. Where he fits well as the defensive stopper plus he isn't as undisciplined in his approach on offense. Those are positive aspects but the FO seems happy with the idea that ZW (who they traded Jonas to move up to take just last summer) will take that role and DB will become the 6th man.

I may be wrong but I don't see the FO giving up 4 draft picks and Jonas to fill the starting SF position within 13 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Again the problem is he's not even better than melton, and certainly won't be playing over ZW, so what is even the benefit for us? Melton averages more points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per 36. And melton is 6 years younger and has 1 more year on his deal. 10 million is a lot to pay your 11th man. 

Put Melt at backup PG and use both of the them to handle the ball like they did with Bane.    benefit is you have a more dependable offensive player come playoff time that won't get burned on defense with switchable size.    I am eyeing playoff improvements not regular season.     Burkes would be in 8-9 man playoff rotation OVER Melton because you can trust his offense and decision making more.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would try to draft and develop a good wing like OG or his caliber and I think its possibly.  Im only giving up three or four picks plus a player for that championship missing piece (eg, Holiday to the Bucks) and I dont think OG is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I personally would try to draft and develop a good wing like OG or his caliber and I think its possibly.  Im only giving up three or four picks plus a player for that championship missing piece (eg, Holiday to the Bucks) and I dont think OG is that.

i thought about that too.  OG is an awesome defender with great size but offensively he isn't anything special.    I see the rational in just keeping Dillon and drafting a Tari Eason, Marjon Beauchamp, Kendall Brown, or Jeremy Sochan and develop them.    I imagine that is there plan.    

however i do see the fact that they interviewed  Wendall, Payton Willis, Lucas Williamson as replacements for both Tyus and Melton.   As all those guys project to be primary or secondary ballhandlers and strong defenders.  Them talking to Eason shows me they also looking for Big Wing Defender.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I personally would try to draft and develop a good wing like OG or his caliber and I think its possibly.  Im only giving up three or four picks plus a player for that championship missing piece (eg, Holiday to the Bucks) and I dont think OG is that.

This is the way to go for long-term cap health. There are a handful of guys in this draft that could be similarly impactful to OG  if they hit, and I trust our front office to get the right guy and the staff to develop him properly. 

That said OG is definitely a great fit and he's a worthwhile target if they want to push some chips in for someone proven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Very fair question. If we are looking at last season, OG's 43 games played makes any multiple contributing player plus picks look bad on paper. OG hasn't played 70 games in a season since his rookie year which has to lower his trade value somewhat as well. 

The concept people are working on is OG would slide into Dillon's starting role. Where he fits well as the defensive stopper plus he isn't as undisciplined in his approach on offense. Those are positive aspects but the FO seems happy with the idea that ZW (who they traded Jonas to move up to take just last summer) will take that role and DB will become the 6th man.

I may be wrong but I don't see the FO giving up 4 draft picks and Jonas to fill the starting SF position within 13 months. 

4 draft picks and Jonas? What? Are you counting the picks we gave up for aldama and then not counting adams in the return? Stop trying tO compile all sorts of old trades.

 

also “hasn’t played 70 games since his rookie year” he played 67 games his 2nd year and 69 his 3rd year which I think was the bubble year.  can you just argue something on its merits without trying to make sneaky points? he hasn’t played a lot of games his last 2 years, yes. Don’t act like he’s been unhealthy the whole time in the league.

 

people are speculating ayton for OG as the framework of a trade and you’re out here worrying about our scrubs who can’t make an impact in the playoffs. You think Boston regrets giving up what they did for Derrick White right now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Rdk4121 said:

They certainly do sometimes, but we're literally coming off a year where 2 teams got in big trouble. And they essentially got off with a warning. 

But even so, you have literally no Intel on Tyus, just a quote taken out of context. Who is giving Tyus more than the full MLE this season? 

Nobody. Tyus is a 7-10 level backup who's neither a scorer nor good on defense. The assist/turnover thing is the only reliable thing about him. He's the epitome of a non-sixth man backup and thats not worth a bigger payday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KGF said:

Nobody. Tyus is a 7-10 level backup who's neither a scorer nor good on defense. The assist/turnover thing is the only reliable thing about him. He's the epitome of a non-sixth man backup and thats not worth a bigger payday.

I'll say he's solid in every aspect of the game (scoring, defense, playmaking), but certainly not elite at really anything except for assist to turnover ratio. It really doesn't scream starting PG though. I'm sure he could be one. Like DJ Augustin, he was a starter off and on his while career. I think he probably holds more value as your backup (has a 39.8% win rate as a starter and a 47.8% win rate as a backup). Same logic with Tyus, though obviously we did well with him as a starter, but doubtful he would go to the same quality of team as us as a starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2022 at 5:58 AM, chipc3 said:

The Lakers probably thought they were giving up a pick in the 20s this past season also...

Three picks is a haul for any team to give up for one player. For one player who has played a combined 91 games in the last two seasons and is being shipped off (not demanding a trade) seems way over market price. Throwing in three players who contribute on top of that including one potential starter is just an insane offer in my eyes.

If I was Toronto I couldn't say yes fast enough. 

I mean, the Lakers still won a title tho off of trading those picks so who really cares about about the 8th pick. I'm not saying I agree with whatever trade proposal you guys are talking about it about but I definitely think the FO needs to start looking at win now moves.

ZW is not going to be a defensive stopper next year just based off of his body and developing someone out of this weak draft feels suspect to me. Your typical prospect takes three years to develop and by that time there could be injury/cap problems. Our cornerstones aren't exactly durable so take the window while we know it's open 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Our cornerstones aren't exactly durable so take the window while we know it's open 

Very true.

If we wish to add to our Ja/Bane/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren Core (if the jury is still out on ZW) then hopefully we address those pressing needs in free agency.

The draft often turns into a game of loading up on cheap lotto tickets.  ... not saying that that is either a good strategy OR a bad strategy.  It's just one way to look at the draft.

And, maybe the best predictor of NBA stats is... NBA stats, that is, maybe free agency is a "surer" bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://fansided.com/2022/06/13/coby-white-trades-chicago-bulls/2/

3. The Memphis Grizzlies could reset their backcourt depth

Chicago Bulls receive – De’Anthony Melton, No. 22 and No. 47 overall picks in 2022 NBA Draft

Memphis Grizzlies receive – Coby White, No.18 overall pick in 2022 NBA Draft

Moving up to 18 might be a good idea but I have cooled on Coby White.  I also don’t want to move 47.  
 

Wonder what pick we can get for Melton straight up?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Moving up to 18 might be a good idea but I have cooled on Coby White.  I also don’t want to move 47.  
 

Wonder what pick we can get for Melton straight up?  

You do realize the Grizzlies are not moving to 47 but giving up the 47th pick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You do realize the Grizzlies are not moving to 47 but giving up the 47th pick? 

Yeah I would like to keep 47.  Not a huge fan of Coby White although moving up a few spots to 18 would be nice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah I would like to keep 47.  Not a huge fan of Coby White although moving up a few spots to 18 would be nice.  

Would you trade Melton and the 22nd for the 18th and White? 

I don't believe I would be willing to do that. I just don't see that much difference between a number of players who should be available at that spot. Maybe if TyTy Washington was available to replace Tyus but that would leave a hole at backup SG. White is a PG sized shooting guard. 

The 47th pick doesn't move the needle for me. If I wanted White and the 18th and it took the 47th to get it done, I would do it. You can always buy a second-round pick cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×