BigHunkALove

Memphis Grizzlies and NBA Roster Moves

56 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wow did we take this comment differently. I see it saying that the team is going to spend what is needed to keep players they have (Tyus and Kyle) as well as make FA moves even if it means going into the luxury tax down the road. I didn't see it as saying a major roster shake up is coming at all.  

You're exactly right. Kleiman said we're not going to be flashy in the offseason for the sake of being flashy. We're going to run it back. He specifically said they're willing to spend money on the guys they want to bring back, so I guess we'll see who they intend to bring back. I would assume Tyus for sure, and Kyle is certainly in that conversation. 

On 5/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, QMemphis said:

Zach and Ja both will have to step up as defenders.Dillon will have to fall in line or be traded. All of them will have to rebound including Jaren and Myles. That lineup has the potential to be the most versatile in the league on both ends. 

I’ve heard of player/managers before, but never player/GM’s. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Wow did we take this comment differently. I see it saying that the team is going to spend what is needed to keep players they have (Tyus and Kyle) as well as make FA moves even if it means going into the luxury tax down the road. I didn't see it as saying a major roster shake up is coming at all.  

Yeah I took. I expect them to make some moves and really improve the team, just hope they dont make moves like the Crowder/Hill for Winslow 

12 hours ago, My man Allen said:

I don’t even think Bane and Jaren are safe. I’m glad we have a gm who isn’t afraid to make a move 

Wat | Know Your Meme

I am fully on board the Cam Johnson train. I am not positive of the logic for the Suns, but it sounds like they don't want to shell out contracts to their younger guys. Maybe DB and some combo of picks/players since DB is expiring next year. I think he would fit great with us. 

Wait, is Cam Johnson available somehow?  I'm very interested.  Having him + Bane on the wings would be amazing, talk about elite wing shooting.

42 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

Wait, is Cam Johnson available somehow?  I'm very interested.  Having him + Bane on the wings would be amazing, talk about elite wing shooting.

Just daydreaming + Suns probably gonna shake some things up.

"We're not going to have any issues paying anyone who we want to pay," Kleiman said of the future. "There's never going to be any issue with retention here."

Retention is the key word here. Zach isn’t saying they are going to shake up the roster. He’s saying he will pay to keep the roster’s core intact.

Reading between the lines, I think in addition to Ja giving the no brainer max extension, we'll also see them working hard to get Clarke extended this offseason.

Chandler and Brown - two current draft prospects - can replace Tyus and Kyle without much pain and, as a bonus, stay for 4 years on rookie contracts. As a second bonus, we would get 20m under cap for Zach to play with…

Kyle wont be back and really don't think Tyus will either.  I hope he gets the payday he deserves (from another team) because it would be awkward if FO doesn't make him an offer.    

I really want a team full of versatile mult-ipositional  2 way players to compliment Ja and Bane.   Melton can stay if we replace Tyus with a taller combo guard (Jaylen William for example).   

Ja/Melt

Bane/Jaylen

Dillon/Ziaire

Jaren/Santi

Adams/BC  

That would be very definition of running it back.   But honestly there arent really any impact players on market that look better than just mainly running it back and depending on internal growth.    I am more excited to see who we draft then who we trade for or sign.     

Kennedy Chandler is no immediate replacement for the premier elite backup PG in the NBA.

60% at the FT line?  19 years old still?  Maybe someday but that day is not soon.

Yea I’d rather have on of these wing initiators instead of drafting a pure pg prospect. I think versatile wings should be priority especially for playoff time. 

10 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea I’d rather have on of these wing initiators instead of drafting a pure pg prospect. I think versatile wings should be priority especially for playoff time. 

Not a bad idea. There are a lot of good ones in this draft too. Plus you have the added benefit of it being easier to play then next to ja

12 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Kennedy Chandler is no immediate replacement for the premier elite backup PG in the NBA.

60% at the FT line?  19 years old still?  Maybe someday but that day is not soon.

1. We don’t him to be Tyus right away. Bane and Melton can share the playmaking burden. 

2. ZW was raw, too. Even worse. Look at his progress. 

3. Chandler’s ball defence is already better.

4. Yes, Chandler will need a full regular season to join the NBA level, but he will be ready for PO. 

12 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That would be very definition of running it back.   But honestly there arent really any impact players on market that look better than just mainly running it back and depending on internal growth.    I am more excited to see who we draft then who we trade for or sign.     

The Free Agents in our "price range" look like 7th/8th options/bench filler -- and that's one of our strengths.

Mitch Rob looks like an ideal target -- but he has a bit of wear/tear already.  

Is DeAndre Ayton even REMOTELY in our price range?

Wouldn't mind kicking the tires on a Jaren/Ayton twin towers option.

Sign/Trade throwing in Dillon/Clarke/Kyle?

IF we don't resign Tyus then I would go after Ricky Rubio.  Better defender than Tyus.  Better rebounder.  Good play maker, maybe a better (flashier?) passer.  

Rubio/Ja might be a more effective SMALL BALL/Dual Quarterback Back Court than Tyus/Ja.

Optionality for potential "Death Lineups" of Rubio/Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren or Rubio/Ja/Bane/Clarke/Jaren.

I am excited about the draft too.  Fairly flat.  But, lots of interesting players.

I think we need to "upgade" 4-7 and we might be able to address MOST of our issues through the draft.

Beauchamp/Hardy/Braun/Daniels look good.  At least one player should be there at 22.  If not, I think we can trade up for one of those guys.

Koloko brings a lot of stuff to the table.  Moneyball Ayton might be a good comp.  I have him in the 9-12 range.  Ibou Badji looks interesting.  Actually had solid stats in his last game.  I think something like 13/6 or something.  ... Kai Sotto looks like a deep depth value play on John Butler -- or even Chet Holmgren.

The top of the draft: Chet/Ivey/Banchero could end up being a total mess.  Jabari Smith, Jr. looks legit, but how much is Sneaky Deluxe Shane Battier/Robert Horry worth???

On 5/15/2022 at 8:22 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

Minnesota would probably just play Jordan MClaughlin over signing Tyus. He's a very similar player on a rookie deal.

Pelicans are 30 million over the cap. They can only give MLE outside of sign and trade AND they have Alvardo, so they'd probably rather just play alvardo.

The knicks might want him. But they also have derrick rose and my god their roster is a mess. It's a team that doesn't look to be going anywhere, not sure how much they're spending for a guy who doesn't alter their ceiling.

I think it will be interesting to see Tyus' market. 

Any team, especially the Knicks, that makes Tyus their big off season signing is in for disappointment from the fan base.

I see Tyus getting at least the MLE from the Grizzlies, and I don't see a lot of teams doing more than that for him.

Of note, I also don't see or expect him to give the home team a discount.  He should get as much money as possible this contract, I just don't see a lot of teams offering more money.

11 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Any team, especially the Knicks, that makes Tyus their big off season signing is in for disappointment from the fan base.

I see Tyus getting at least the MLE from the Grizzlies, and I don't see a lot of teams doing more than that for him.

Of note, I also don't see or expect him to give the home team a discount.  He should get as much money as possible this contract, I just don't see a lot of teams offering more money.

Again, he is eligible until June 30 for an extension worth about 20% more than the MLE. If we want to keep him we'll definitely offer that to begin with. If we don't even offer that I don't see us getting into a bidding war in free agency.

If we offer the extension and he declines the question is how much more he can get in free agency and if he can land a starting job elsewhere. Not many destinations meet both requirements. 

10 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

The Free Agents in our "price range" look like 7th/8th options/bench filler -- and that's one of our strengths.

Mitch Rob looks like an ideal target -- but he has a bit of wear/tear already.  

Is DeAndre Ayton even REMOTELY in our price range?

Wouldn't mind kicking the tires on a Jaren/Ayton twin towers option.

Sign/Trade throwing in Dillon/Clarke/Kyle?

IF we don't resign Tyus then I would go after Ricky Rubio.  Better defender than Tyus.  Better rebounder.  Good play maker, maybe a better (flashier?) passer.  

Rubio/Ja might be a more effective SMALL BALL/Dual Quarterback Back Court than Tyus/Ja.

Optionality for potential "Death Lineups" of Rubio/Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren or Rubio/Ja/Bane/Clarke/Jaren.

I am excited about the draft too.  Fairly flat.  But, lots of interesting players.

I think we need to "upgade" 4-7 and we might be able to address MOST of our issues through the draft.

Beauchamp/Hardy/Braun/Daniels look good.  At least one player should be there at 22.  If not, I think we can trade up for one of those guys.

Koloko brings a lot of stuff to the table.  Moneyball Ayton might be a good comp.  I have him in the 9-12 range.  Ibou Badji looks interesting.  Actually had solid stats in his last game.  I think something like 13/6 or something.  ... Kai Sotto looks like a deep depth value play on John Butler -- or even Chet Holmgren.

The top of the draft: Chet/Ivey/Banchero could end up being a total mess.  Jabari Smith, Jr. looks legit, but how much is Sneaky Deluxe Shane Battier/Robert Horry worth???

Why would Phoenix be trading Ayton?  That's silly talk.  He's a key young player the team that had the best record in the league.  They were Western Conference Champions last season.  They need tweaks, not a rebuild.  That's a rebuild move.

You're also trying to trade away most of our defense too.

10 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Again, he is eligible until June 30 for an extension worth about 20% more than the MLE. If we want to keep him we'll definitely offer that to begin with. If we don't even offer that I don't see us getting into a bidding war in free agency.

If we offer the extension and he declines the question is how much more he can get in free agency and if he can land a starting job elsewhere. Not many destinations meet both requirements. 

This will be the most interesting part of our offseason saga....

Tyus' extension is 4 years 13.5 mil. Not sure if the Grizz would/should make that offer.

Doesnt seem like outlandish money, but I am hard pressed to see him getting much more on the open market.

If he did it would likely be for a worse team. He doesnt strike me as the type who would take equal money to be on a worse team but we shall see.

I wonder what it would take to get John Collins from Atlanta? There's been rumblings all season long that they might move on from him. His contract isn't terrible, at around 25 million a year. He's essentially deluxe Brandon Clarke, and can actually play center if needed, can also shoot reasonably well from deep. 

Non-Grizz players I'm keen to see what action goes down are:

Miles Bridges, Rudy Gobert, Mitchell Robinson.

Also, will the Lakers have the guts to trade LeBron? (as they should)

On 5/16/2022 at 10:55 PM, russian grizzly said:

Chandler and Brown - two current draft prospects - can replace Tyus and Kyle without much pain and, as a bonus, stay for 4 years on rookie contracts. As a second bonus, we would get 20m under cap for Zach to play with…

Chandler can't replace Tyus, you could take a chance on Brown but there's no way I would let Tyus walk... He's basically the first backup PG that I have been comfortable with coming in and we don't miss a beat... Let's face it, Ja missed a lot of games this year, we don't know that that will not be the norm and this team ran great with Tyus running the show.

I'd let Melton go in a heartbeat and Kyle if you can get some young talent that can play some defense.

Truthfully the issue with this years team was not talent, it was inexperience and in the end Brooks unwillingness to check himself.  Another year together and they will only get better with more experience and a minor tweak here or there.

Clarke and Adams are our energy guys and we definitely needed that...

Get Jackson in the gym and don't let him out until next season, convince him that he needs to drive more and hunt 3's less... oh and learn that when he is beat he is beat and stop fouling.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Non-Grizz players I'm keen to see what action goes down are:

Miles Bridges, Rudy Gobert, Mitchell Robinson.

Also, will the Lakers have the guts to trade LeBron? (as they should)

Isn't LeBron the player GM, think he will trade himself... I don't think there will be a lot of teams wanting that contract for a 38 year old, even if he is one of the best ever... Young LeBron ain't coming back... plus the NBA is moving on from him, they have other younger stars to cater to...