The J Crew

Grizzly player rankings through Week 5

Ja is going to need some help. Part of the 8 metric ranking is cumulative, so Dillon should rise pretty quickly as he plays more.

And Ziaire 331st out of 332 ranked players. Yeesh.

Who's posting these numbers and what metric are they using? 

Frankly, they need Ziaire, Dillon, Brandon and Jaren to pick up the pace according to these numbers. The Grizzlies also need Melton back healthy. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Frankly, they need Ziaire, Dillon, Brandon and Jaren to pick up the pace according to these numbers. The Grizzlies also need Melton back healthy. 

It's a metric put together by a Bleacher Report writer, Andy Bailey. I posted them some last year too. He briefly describes the 8 metrics he uses in the NBA top 30 ranking. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

It’s not even a metric, it’s an average ranking.

5 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Ja is going to need some help. Part of the 8 metric ranking is cumulative, so Dillon should rise pretty quickly as he plays more.

And Ziaire 331st out of 332 ranked players. Yeesh.

We’re supposed to take a list seriously that has Jarrett Allen, Cole Anthony, Will Barton, Gary Payton Jr., Al Horford, Myles Turner among others above Ja?

11 minutes ago, King Dork said:

We’re supposed to take a list seriously that has Jarrett Allen, Cole Anthony, Will Barton, Gary Payton Jr., Al Horford, Myles Turner among others above Ja?

Then ignore it. Guessing you know how much I care whether or not you take it seriously. 

And don’t about half of this board talk about how horrendously bad Ja’s defense has been this season?  

Just now, The J Crew said:

Then ignore it. Guessing you know how much I care whether or not you take it seriously. 

And don’t about half of this board talk about how horrendously bad Ja’s defense has been this season?  

So because his defense is bad Cole Anthony is better? Ja top 15 minimum and whatever stats suggest something different should probably be thrown out  

You can put whatever #’s you want out there, but the facts are Kyle’s playing like trash, Jaren’s playing like trash, Melton and Bane are too inconsistent and that’s the reason we’re taking 40 point Ls once a week. 

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Don't know if Z is capable right at the moment, Dillon has been quite good in the few games he's played, Brandon needs more playing time over Tillman, Jaren certainly needs to pick up on the O side, Melton and Bane need to pick it up also

Screw those rankings.    This is how i rank the players based on potential "COREness".  In other words the guys i think will possibly be here longterm. 

1. Ja
  2. Jaren
  3. Dillon
  4. Bane
  5. Ziaire
  6. Melton
  7. B. Clarke
  8. Santi
  9. Tillman
  10. Konchar
  11. Anderson
  12. Tyus
  13. Merrill
  14. Culver
  15. Pons
  16. Adams
  17. Tillie

• Ja Jaren Dillon and Bane, I believe, will be the players FO builds around (for now).   Bane's continued development into a legit scoring option is huge for his future here.  We already know he is exactly the type of SG TJ likes to have.   His floor spacing fits whatever system. He won't be a Star but a High Level Starter type is doable.  Dillon worked his tail off to get to this spot - hard to see him going anywhere. Plus we need a dogged defender no matter what. We already know Ja and Jaren were crowned as foundation pieces since their rookie seasons. .
  • ZW Melt and Clarke are auditioning to be complimentary players going forward.  Melt and Clarke are undersized for their best positions yet are still productive.  ZW's development is the key for him sticking around of course. 
  • Santi has a chance to become a longterm role player depending on his development.  Tillman and Konchar are cheap if they arent needed for salary filler then 
  • This is probably last we see of Kyle and Tyus in Grizz unis.   The rest are whatever. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, King Dork said:

So because his defense is bad Cole Anthony is better? Ja top 15 minimum and whatever stats suggest something different should probably be thrown out  

You can put whatever #’s you want out there, but the facts are Kyle’s playing like trash, Jaren’s playing like trash, Melton and Bane are too inconsistent and that’s the reason we’re taking 40 point Ls once a week. 

I wouldn't say Jaren has been trash, he's had 2 maybe 3 bad games, 3 games that arguably he was responsible for the team win and the rest have been slightly above or slightly below average. His D game has improved and is becoming an important piece of the jigsaw, the offense and shooting is what needs more consistency and more improvement.

As Jenkins would say, "he's trending well"

On @GrizzTigerFan's list currently I'd still have Dillon @ 2 and Jaren @ 3 in "coreness" simply because Dillon has become the "senior" figure and when he is missing from the lineup it does affect the rest of the team. And also should the FO decide to make a blockbuster trade, Jaren might have more value in getting returns.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

I wouldn't say Jaren has been trash, he's had 2 maybe 3 bad games, 3 games that arguably he was responsible for the team win and the rest have been slightly above or slightly below average. His D game has improved and is becoming an important piece of the jigsaw, the offense and shooting is what needs more consistency and more improvement.

As Jenkins would say, "he's trending well"

Yea i still don't get why the more knowledgeable fans keep discounting Jaren's defensive impact when judging him.    He is pretty much the only dude that keeps us above G League level defense every game.   Ja is the engine that runs the offense but Jaren is the defensive anchor.   Difference is the Coach doesn't really treat Jaren like he is the anchor with how he limits his minutes. 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

ZW is getting screwed on that list. He isnt that bad 

He is bad and playing too many minutes.  That is why he is so far down because the above ranking is using both per minute metrics and aggregates.  Someone as bad as him shouldn't be getting that many minutes.   There are many current unsigned free agents who are better than him right now.

ZW is not a scrub he is just extremely raw mentally and physically.

We already seen small improvents since the opener.

Dude is not rdy yet and with out Dillon he has been force to play some heavy minutes early on.

9 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

ZW is getting screwed on that list. He isnt that bad 

I’m with you here.

As a real rookie playing real live ball against NBA talent- in games that count - he looks very good to me. 

Just think about how much skill / experience / confidence he is getting right now WITH veteran teammates… 

17 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea i still don't get why the more knowledgeable fans keep discounting Jaren's defensive impact when judging him.    He is pretty much the only dude that keeps us above G League level defense every game.   Ja is the engine that runs the offense but Jaren is the defensive anchor.   Difference is the Coach doesn't really treat Jaren like he is the anchor with how he limits his minutes. 

There's a bit of selection bias in play. Jaren was always perceived as a good defender, and his most glaring flaws were more related to his availability, rebounding and lack of offensive post presence. So even if he's becoming an even more impacting defensive presence it's not noticed or discussed so much as his progress (or lack thereof) in those other more discussed areas.

35 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

There's a bit of selection bias in play. Jaren was always perceived as a good defender, and his most glaring flaws were more related to his availability, rebounding and lack of offensive post presence. So even if he's becoming an even more impacting defensive presence it's not noticed or discussed so much as his progress (or lack thereof) in those other more discussed areas.

13 was always perceived as a super hacker … fouls severely limited his availability.

His progress on both offense and defenses can directly be attributed to him not catching as many whistles so far this season.

16 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I’m with you here.

As a real rookie playing real live ball against NBA talent- in games that count - he looks very good to me. 

Just think about how much skill / experience / confidence he is getting right now WITH veteran teammates… 

He's done better than I thought he would. 

9 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

ZW and Konchar min make me wonder if we could not have better option? 

Why the no love for ZW? Konchar I can understand 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Why the no love for ZW? Konchar I can understand 

No you missunderstand me. I think ZW can become a good player, he seems fearless. I just consider that we should not give him allthe minute he got  currently and let him play on a regualr basis with the Husstle to make him improving.

Yesyerday for me was interesting. When the score was tight, i see several time ZW alone in great position and other player hesitating to pass him the ball , considering probably that hos shoot is still not good enough, specially at 3.  

but he may be a great player in the future.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, BigHunkALove said:

Don't know if Z is capable right at the moment, Dillon has been quite good in the few games he's played, Brandon needs more playing time over Tillman, Jaren certainly needs to pick up on the O side, Melton and Bane need to pick it up also

Z is terrible. everybody who talks about his good qualities is just showing they value measurables over results. He's like a "5 tool prospect" in baseball except his average is .200 and he never hits home runs and commits a bunch of errors and gets throw out stealing bases all the time. But man, his swing sure looks good and he made a few diving catches. Valuing the look of things not what it actually produces.

3 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

No you missunderstand me. I think ZW can become a good player, he seems fearless. I just consider that we should not give him allthe minute he got  currently and let him play on a regualr basis with the Husstle to make him improving.

Yesyerday for me was interesting. When the score was tight, i see several time ZW alone in great position and other player hesitating to pass him the ball , considering probably that hos shoot is still not good enough, specially at 3.  

but he may be a great player in the future.

I've noticed it too. Players won't pass the ball to him sometimes because they think he'll take and miss the shot or make a mistake. Jenkins apparently doesn't see it. It is much more noticeable in 4th quarters. They don't trust him yet in big spots.