chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ New Orleans Pelicans - 11/13/21

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LIke i said on another thread.   JV only avg 17ppg - Jaren already avgs 14ppg.  Its not some insurmountable task to replace his offensive output.    The true benefit of JV was that he was a Plan B.   I falsely assumed that Taylor would develop a plan b that wasn't chucking 3s (ja is plan A,B,C).   But Adams fully replaced his rebounding and their defense is a wash.  

Neither of them are good fits for the type of system - it appears Taylor wants to run.   I think both of them are solid players in the right situations.   Neither should be featured players tho which is why i was fine with moving on from JV.   

Im just at the point where i think we really need to let Jaren sink or swim at the 5.   Adams should never supposed be an obstacle to Jaren moving to that spot.  

so do you think Jaren will sink or swim at the 5? 

I know what I think 

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LIke i said on another thread.   JV only avg 17ppg - Jaren already avgs 14ppg.  Its not some insurmountable task to replace his offensive output.    The true benefit of JV was that he was a Plan B.   I falsely assumed that Taylor would develop a plan b that wasn't chucking 3s (ja is plan A,B,C).   But Adams fully replaced his rebounding and their defense is a wash.  

Neither of them are good fits for the type of system - it appears Taylor wants to run.   I think both of them are solid players in the right situations.   Neither should be featured players tho which is why i was fine with moving on from JV.   

Im just at the point where i think we really need to let Jaren sink or swim at the 5.   Adams should never supposed be an obstacle to Jaren moving to that spot.  

I can see what you are getting at.  Fair points.  I see that they may be a wash in some ways--Adams and JV, but JV could cover up so many of the Grizzlies "mess ups" if you will.  He is a warrior in every sense of the word.  Not saying he could shut down Akeem or Kareem, but he would clean it up when Grizz shots wouldnt fall.  Adams is fine for what he is making. JV is more expensive but I think worth it. 

I have not studied the systems like you have. But I do see your points about Jenkins and MIL's system. Jaren does need to step up. He got paid so now he needs to deliver.  You can see it, especially in person, how much space he takes up.  He can be a vacuum cleaner on the boards at times.  But he has got to get his offense going. 

10 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I know what I think 

Truthfully, i dont know but i will glad to finally have a freaking answer either way.    Its all this limbo crap that makes it hard to complete the rebuild.   Seriously tho - don't you think its easier for young player development if they are just able to concentrate on learning a single position?  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Let ja get his stat chase - triple double. 

Tough break for Ja. Only 1 rebound short of the triple double.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You seriously think Jonas will fix this defense??? if you do there just hope on over to Pellies board with IheartJonas.     This mess is on the Coach.  Grayson was inconsistent as hades and Jonas avg a whopping 16.5ppg last season.    WE made the playoffs WITHOUT Crowder. 

So ya'll keep on crying over them dudes like they were freaking Jordan Kobe and Shaq.

Scheme is the issue on both sides. 

Gtf your right in that Jonas would not be the saviour of grizz, but getting rid of him for nothing in return and not dealing with the real issue JJJ is.  If it’s not time now to acknowledge this young man is a bust, then when is it for you?

1 hour ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

I can see what you are getting at.  Fair points.  I see that they may be a wash in some ways--Adams and JV, but JV could cover up so many of the Grizzlies "mess ups" if you will.  He is a warrior in every sense of the word.  Not saying he could shut down Akeem or Kareem, but he would clean it up when Grizz shots wouldnt fall.  Adams is fine for what he is making. JV is more expensive but I think worth it. 

I have not studied the systems like you have. But I do see your points about Jenkins and MIL's system. Jaren does need to step up. He got paid so now he needs to deliver.  You can see it, especially in person, how much space he takes up.  He can be a vacuum cleaner on the boards at times.  But he has got to get his offense going. 

Tonight was jv’s worst performance of the year, he was at best third option in every possession and more satisfied  in setting screens, picks and getting the win…just an FYI 

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I know what I think 

He’s not a five, never has been.  The league is starting to trend back to real bigs, kinda like jv.  Refs are starting to let these guys bang away in a game, and recruiters are now again looking and searching for these profiles.  JJJ has got make it as as power forward who can shoot 40% + from the 3, and play lock down d…anunoby like of player

More reason to have played him at the 5.   Jaxson Hayes is rail thin NOP never started him at the 4 to bring him along slowly.    Take the wheels off so we can no for sure what he is.   Stop all this data collecting crap. 

Hayes is a weaker/ diluted version of 3j…the kid doesn’t have it in him to grind and compete…

51 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Truthfully, i dont know but i will glad to finally have a freaking answer either way.    Its all this limbo crap that makes it hard to complete the rebuild.   Seriously tho - don't you think its easier for young player development if they are just able to concentrate on learning a single position?  

that's fence sitting, come on man. Pick one or the other please, there's no way you're not leaning one way

Jenkins needs to be questionable: for next game.   HOU will prob beat us too. 

Jenkins is number 9 in line to what needs to get fixed.  Move 3j to second unit, maybe with Adam’s…go smaller with Tillman at 5..he’s flawed but chemistry on floor might be better..

14 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

that's fence sitting, come on man. Pick one or the other please, there's no way you're not leaning one way

I honestly think he will do fine at Center but will disappoint those expecting big numbers.   Team will look better overall because the more impactful role players will be able to play their best positions. 

I was worried about this one because they were essentially due for a win given they only had 1 on the year and we've been playing poorly. Whatever, we just got to get it figured out. Glad Dillon is back. 

I'm gonna follow my ref bias and say that, barring a great performance, this was a loss before the tip. NO needed it bad on their home court. I tuned in at 7:00, cough, so I missed a lot.

One sequence Bane was called for a foul under the basket. The replay showed no foul. Next play, the replay showed that Ja was fouled twice and no call. At the beginning of this season the ref-for-show seems to be unusually bad across the league. I wish they'd adjust their calls on screens.

Its good that the board regulars have diagnosed the problem: everyone sucks but Ja.

This slump hurts, but we've got Dillon back. He'll have a positive effect.

Jaren is battling. I'm not jumping ship. I still believe.

Just as the odds said that our shooters couldn't stay so high, they can't stay this low. Their misses are part of the reason our defense is so bad.

Best things i have done on this week-end is no to follow the game in live. Wake up late,  enjoy nice restaurant with Madame and look this..... at replay. Will probably do the same for the next couple of games as i have no fun see an open bar team defense every single game...

19 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

JV and Ingram are empty stats all stars.  Once Zion gets back they’re just one piece away from Empty Stats Mount Rushmore status.

now its 2 games games thanks to our Young upcoming Grizzlies 

I know it's hard to let it go, but you've got to stay up when you're down.

11 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I know what I think 

I Don't Think Jaren is tough enough to play the 5  J.V was the  perfect Center for Memphis BIG STRONG and mean A Big Strong Mean Double Double Machine 

IMO at some point the coach has to recognize the skill set of the players he has available and adjust HIS game plan/philosophy to match those players.  I'm sick of seeing him trying to pound this square peg into a round hole.

12 hours ago, Lord Gordon said:

If I’m Robert Pera I’m paying a visit to Memphis next week to meet with Jenkins to put him on notice.

A coach has to know how to deal with a head case player.  And JJJ is one.

If he can't work it out, bring somebody in who can deal with it.  You can't fire the team.

Well - comparing team stats in wins vs loses, it's pretty simple for the Grizzlies.  It comes down to Effective Field Goal Percentage (EFG%) - both ours and our opponents.  

In our wins, our EFG% is 55% - in loses, we're at 45.5%.  When we win, our opponent's EFG% is 51.9% and when we lose, our opponents are at 59.5%.

Those are the two stats that stand out when comparing wins vs loses.  The other stats I've seen are fairly close (pace, rebounding, blocks, steals, assists, turnovers, etc).