BigHunkALove

Is Taylor Jenkins a good coach?

2 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Assume you mean "hear". And go read, I rarely have criticized Taylor. I says he's good. And he's very replaceable. The two positions aren't in conflict. 

He might just be a wacky, innovative “player’s coach” type.  Reminds me of George Karl a little bit.  Maybe we can luck into the next Shawn Kemp aka Jalen Duren.  Although 3 picks this year and 3 more later might not be enough to get him.

I am always of the assumption that I am the smartest basketball mind in the room.  Not that I want Coach’s job.  I would rather second guess everyone and make infinite draft boards.  

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Why is why I have said many times we would have been the 13th seed the last two years if we stayed at 8 in the lottery in 2019, and conveyed that pick to Boston, instead of getting incredibly lucky and moving to the 2nd pick to get Ja. It's a league of stars.

i think db/3js/jv could have done better than 13th

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Why is why I have said many times we would have been the 13th seed the last two years if we stayed at 8 in the lottery in 2019, and conveyed that pick to Boston, instead of getting incredibly lucky and moving to the 2nd pick to get Ja. It's a league of stars.

Dillon and Jaden were good picks so I am guessing we would have drafted ok in ‘19 even though we DID luck into the 2 pick, taking the dude that was number one on my board.  Without Ja, 19/20/21 probably would be good draft years for us — totally different team though and Ja looks like a kid you can build a whole dang league around.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Dillon and Jaden were good picks so I am guessing we would have drafted ok in ‘19 even though we DID luck into the 2 pick, taking the dude that was number one on my board.  Without Ja, 19/20/21 probably would be good draft years for us — totally different team though and Ja looks like a kid you can build a whole dang league around.

We wouldn't have had a pick in the '19 draft if we had stayed at 8 and conveyed to Boston.

Whatever. You're throwing out random hypotheticals now.  You started with this nonsense about how Chip and I somehow are not allowed to criticize the coach. Which has been rebutted. Later. 

41 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

He might just be a wacky, innovative “player’s coach” type.  Reminds me of George Karl a little bit.  Maybe we can luck into the next Shawn Kemp aka Jalen Duren.  Although 3 picks this year and 3 more later might not be enough to get him.

I am always of the assumption that I am the smartest basketball mind in the room.  Not that I want Coach’s job.  I would rather second guess everyone and make infinite draft boards.  

Yep. I wouldn't be giving Ziaire with his 4.5 PER 18 minutes a game. But I get that is an organizational decision. No player keeps his minutes indefinitely with a 4.5 PER. 

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

We wouldn't have had a pick in the '19 draft if we had stayed at 8 and conveyed to Boston.

Whatever. You're throwing out random hypotheticals now.  You started with this nonsense about how Chip and I somehow are not allowed to criticize the coach. Which has been rebutted. Later. 

The BC thing?  Might be an FO call — BC is the guy I thought he was his rookie year.  The second coming of Trevor Wilson aka one of my fave obscure role players from the early/mid nineties.  

Coach: don’t want the job.  BUT I am sitting by the phone.  

Whoever said BC and 3J should see more playing time together was right on the money.  

Next question: WHY did Kyle fall off a cliff early and can he recover?  Should we run a SLO MOTION Offense-centric bench mob?

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Yep. I wouldn't be giving Ziaire with his 4.5 PER 18 minutes a game. But I get that an organizational decision. No player keeps his minutes indefinitely with a 4.5 PER. 

ZW should take as few jump shots as possible.  He should cut more.  Luckily he can dunk.  Then create havoc on defense... overplay the passing lanes but we do have lots of better options.

Michael Cooper 2.0 might be two years away — at best.

I also am not a fan of ZW’s shooting form: looks like a Tiger Wood’s moon-raking approach shot.  Must be a Stanford thing.

4 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

The BC thing?  Might be an FO call — BC is the guy I thought he was his rookie year.  The second coming of Trevor Wilson aka one of my fave obscure role players from the early/mid nineties.  

Coach: don’t want the job.  BUT I am sitting by the phone.  

Whoever said BC and 3J should see more playing time together was right on the money.  

Next question: WHY did Kyle fall off a cliff early and can he recover?  Should we run a SLO MOTION Offense-centric bench mob?

These are really good points. Checkmate @The J Crew

Our next win won't be until that SAC game on the 28th so there will be lots of losses coming up to ponder and analyze the shortcomings of the current coach & staff starting with tonight's utter disaster.

5 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Our next win won't be until that SAC game on the 28th so there will be lots of losses coming up to ponder and analyze the shortcomings of the current coach & staff starting with tonight's utter disaster.

I cant wait 

On 11/20/2021 at 10:45 AM, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

so no one on these boards shouldn't ever here you guys critized jenkins coaching...fair enough

I never said that. What I have repeatedly said is don't go crying about firing the coach and hiring a new one because very few make any difference at all in the player's performance. 

On 11/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

you could say the same thing about the players....most nba players are just average compared to their peers...the are only a few stand outs

Fair enough. However, doesn't that support my position that you don't need to change the coach, you need to change the front office - who determines who is on the team - if you want to see a noticeable difference in the team's performance?

The Front Office firing a head coach because the players the front office assembled aren't performing well won't change the way the team plays in any statistically relevant way. Hence, coaches don't matter in the long run in how a team performs. Until you alter the way the players are assembled, who the coach is really won't make a big difference. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Fair enough. However, doesn't that support my position that you don't need to change the coach, you need to change the front office - who determines who is on the team - if you want to see a noticeable difference in the team's performance?

The Front Office firing a head coach because the players the front office assembled aren't performing well won't change the way the team plays in any statistically relevant way. Hence, coaches don't matter in the long run in how a team performs. Until you alter the way the players are assembled, who the coach is really won't make a big difference. 

i think the both are important...you build a championship caliber team when the FO and coaching staff are clicking on the same page...the coaches comes of wtih a winning play style and the FO provides the talent to accomplish it.

2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i think the both are important...you build a championship caliber team when the FO and coaching staff are clicking on the same page...the coaches comes of wtih a winning play style and the FO provides the talent to accomplish it.

Perhaps but there is statistical evidence that 90+% of NBA coaches don't make a difference in how a player performs before and after being with the coach. I don't know how you can quantify an opinion as wide reaching as you suggest but clearly having everyone on the same page makes sense assuming they aren't all on the same wrong page. 

Consistency

On 11/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, ALT GRIND said:

instant classic signature 

💫🤣💫

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Perhaps but there is statistical evidence that 90+% of NBA coaches don't make a difference in how a player performs before and after being with the coach. I don't know how you can quantify an opinion as wide reaching as you suggest but clearly having everyone on the same page makes sense assuming they aren't all on the same wrong page. 

Consistency

When most of us are talking about importance of Coaching. It is usually in regards to how the entire team performs.   I agree most coaches don't directly affect an individual players performance.   However, i have heard many NBA players say that the way a Coach utilized them hurt their career.   

Bottomline NBA Coaches do have an impact - you can debate all day to what level. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

When most of us are talking about importance of Coaching. It is usually in regards to how the entire team performs.   I agree most coaches don't directly affect an individual players performance.   However, i have heard many NBA players say that the way a Coach utilized them hurt their career.   

Bottomline NBA Coaches do have an impact - you can debate all day to what level. 

Apparently, we will too. 🤣

I find it funny that you take it as a fact that someone who underperformed expectations blame it on someone else rather than themselves.

I did hear Larry Bird once say Bill Fitch made him a better player but I sincerely doubt that Bird wouldn't have been great and pushed himself just as hard had a different coach been there when he was a rookie. He was already an NCAA finalist on a terrible team and was drafted while still having a year left of college eligibility which he used before meeting Bill Fitch. I have no trouble saying Fitch had little to do with Bird being the player he was. 

Indiana State was not terrible.  They won 33 in a row before the final game.  They had wins over Oklahoma, Arkansas, DePaul... who were all ranked.  Plus a win at Purdue and wins over notoriously tough mid-majors like Wichita State and Creighton.  

But I agree with the rest.

@Grits and Grinds podcast mentioned a stat that majority of NBA teams are losing whenever they have a bad 3pt shooting night.  Teams are living and dying by it, except MIA, CHI, and PHO.  Which happen to be three top defensive teams AND have Stars that like the mid-range.   

My hypothesis is that the 3pt revolution will inevitably die down just like the SmallBall fade did.  "Lay it up trey it up" isnt as effective  when almost every team does it AND refs have adjusted their foul calls.   So having guys that can exploit the midrange will be key to any team wanting to become Elite. 

Improving our defense should be the focus of coaching staff - and at the top is covering 3pt shot.   Because if most teams live or die by it then making it tougher should increase our chances of winning dramatically. 

Im not sure TJ would want to do that tho -- he seems to be singularly focused on increasing pace and launching more 3s.  

We have the worst defense at allowing 114 points per game. 9 of the top 10 defensive teams in the NBA all are playoff teams (as of now). The only won that's not is Cleveland and they're 10th in the east. I don't count seeds 9 and 10 as playoff teams. I'm using the old format. We're also last at Field Goals made,  and 2nd to last at field goal % (Detroit is last). We give up the most 3's in the NBA and we allowed the most in terms of percentage.

I understand Dillon Brooks is hurt, and I know we play with a fast pace. However, Jenkins won't be any good until he gets the defense better. We don't have the offense (like Utah) to hide mistakes by our bad defense. I like Jenkins and I hope he is going to be here for a while. But, so far, this defense is unbearable to watch and it's killing us as a team. Bad defense is the reason why this team won't be a 6 seed or higher, which means they'll have to play two more games just to get in the playoffs. I wish the team the best, but it's not going to be a fun year.

6 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

guess the player got on jenkins butt lol

SALT LAKE CITY -- — After a 43-point loss to Minnesota a day earlier, Ja Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies had a 90-minute team meeting in Utah to clear the air.

In the closing seconds against the Jazz, there was nothing they needed to say.

Obviously they were frustrated with Konchar's lack of playing time.   Taylor quickly corrected that in the Jazz game. 

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Obviously they were frustrated with Konchar's lack of playing time.   Taylor quickly corrected that in the Jazz game. 

Konchar plays like he's a power forward for the Tri City Blackhawks.

If you have the players you win . when the spurs were winning coach pop was the second coming to GOD now the spurs are young with no star players and now he a losing coach