The J Crew

Around the NBA - 2nd annual "Who will our Grizz face in the Finals" thread?

3 hours ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

Klay Thompson showed his colors and called out JJJ in the post-game presser over a pretty mild tweet from 3 months ago. Pretty comical for a guy who’s been carried to every championship.

Hopefully an even better JJJ hard fouls him into another missed season or two next year. No love for him, Draymond, any of their roster/front office, and especially their awful front-running fanbase who can’t name a single player before 2014 not named Curry.

Yeah, pretty sad actually.

The story was on FOX news website and people were ripping Thompson calling him a whiner, and "dude that was 3 months ago, just enjoy the moment" etc etc.

I get that Jaren brought this on himself, and these young'uns can't help themselves with social media, and Jaren needs to learn from this, but it shows what a biatch Thompson is that he gotta reach back two series and months of regular season games to bring this up.

F...him

19 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

The story was on FOX news website and people were ripping Thompson calling him a whiner, and "dude that was 3 months ago, just enjoy the moment" etc etc.

I get that Jaren brought this on himself, and these young'uns can't help themselves with social media, and Jaren needs to learn from this, but it shows what a biatch Thompson is that he gotta reach back two series and months of regular season games to bring this up.

F...him

It came across as very petty, but you could kind of follow how his train of thought through answering that question and praising his teammates and then talking about strength in depth would have reminded him of that tweet (which i didn't see btw, but it sounded pretty innocuous). I don't think it was a case of him stewing over it the past few months and planning to bring it up.

It was a shame he said it though. I don't mind Klay and was kind of pleased for him after the game given what he's come back from, but that interview leaves a sour taste.

But as you say, some of our guys talk more than their fair share of crap in games and on social and in interviews, and do their stupid little dances, without having won anything of significance yet to back it up, so they need to expect plenty coming back the other way from opposition players and fans. 

51 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Bingo!

We have a winner ladies & gentlemen. Nice work

I said Warriors to win it "comfortably", but you nailed it.

4 hours ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

Klay Thompson showed his colors and called out JJJ in the post-game presser over a pretty mild tweet from 3 months ago. Pretty comical for a guy who’s been carried to every championship.

Hopefully an even better JJJ hard fouls him into another missed season or two next year. No love for him, Draymond, any of their roster/front office, and especially their awful front-running fanbase who can’t name a single player before 2014 not named Curry.

C'mon man. Don't say stuff like that. No-one wants to see players get hurt.

I agree with you on the awful front-running fan-base and Draymond part though :)

Other than Draymond i don't mind their players too much. Curry is a basketball genius and is fun to watch when he's not crushing your own team's hopes and dreams. Wiggins was fantastic in the playoffs and seems to just go about his business on the court without any histrionics or posturing. He must have run Steph fairly close for MVP

Karen Jackson Jr deserves to be called out. 

If you want to run your mouth, back it up. 

History is written by the Victor. 

I think its funny...these dudes just won a championship and what does this guy do?  Let us all know the Grizz are living rent free in his head.  The dubs lose that series vs a healthy Grizz.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:39 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

what celtics are showing is the importance of having 2 way role players.   Almost every series has been decided by which team can exploit the other's defensive weaknesses.     Big men have been getting played off floor but so has poor defending wings and guards.   Boston has no defensive weaknesses in their primary lineups - that is the difference.   Which is why i only want to draft/add guys that aren't defensive liabilities going forward.   

On 6/2/2022 at 10:34 PM, Thomas said:

Dubs were definitely imposters - more a product of a weak West this year. Think they're done as contenders.

I don't think we'd have beaten this Celtics team if we made it to the finals though. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, The J Crew said:

Wish I would have ignored home court and picked the Celts in 5. 

Anyone who picked the Warriors I think just hasn’t watched the Celtics much the last 2 months. Clearly the better team. 

You were saying....

What the Warriors showed was experience, excellent coaching and superior talent will beat nice two-way players and limited offensive skills every day. The Warriors weren't pretenders. The West had the three best teams in the league and when they finally got to play against the Eastern Conference, they blew them out. 

It didn't hurt that they pay more in luxury tax penalties than some team's payroll either. The Warriors owe something like $170 million in luxury tax penalties this season. Only the Brooklyn Nets have a higher salary than the penalties Golden State is paying. The Warriors have $170 million in committed salaries for next season on 8 players and they still have to sign Otto Porter, Andre Iquodala and Kevin Looney to new deals. 😵

The Grizzlies payroll was $117 million this season. Boston paid $138 million. 

7 hours ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

F...him

I don't think Jaren brought that on himself at all. It wasn't even really a shot at the Warriors. Pretty much all of our players post some little message after every win. I think Jaren was just applauding our depth. I just looked back and that's exactly what he was doing. In the game he was referencing, Jaren and Ja didn't even play. That was the entire point. 

kLay just honestly looked like an idiot with how he reacted over something from almost 3 months ago. 

Edited to add, that was apparently a Warriors slogan. I had no idea that was a thing, and I'm going to highly doubt Jaren knew that was a thing. He was in high school when they were at their peak. 

10 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think Jaren brought that on himself at all. It wasn't even really a shot at the Warriors. Pretty much all of our players post some little message after every win. I think Jaren was just applauding our depth. I just looked back and that's exactly what he was doing. In the game he was referencing, Jaren and Ja didn't even play. That was the entire point. 

kLay just honestly looked like an idiot with how he reacted over something from almost 3 months ago. 

Edited to add, that was apparently a Warriors slogan. I had no idea that was a thing, and I'm going to highly doubt Jaren knew that was a thing. He was in high school when they were at their peak. 

He said it after they beat them, Im pretty sure Jaren watched the NBA in high school and can remember that slogan.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

You were saying....

What the Warriors showed was experience, excellent coaching and superior talent will beat nice two-way players and limited offensive skills every day. The Warriors weren't pretenders. The West had the three best teams in the league and when they finally got to play against the Eastern Conference, they blew them out. 

It didn't hurt that they pay more in luxury tax penalties than some team's payroll either. The Warriors owe something like $170 million in luxury tax penalties this season. Only the Brooklyn Nets have a higher salary than the penalties Golden State is paying. The Warriors have $170 million in committed salaries for next season on 8 players and they still have to sign Otto Porter, Andre Iquodala and Kevin Looney to new deals. 😵

The Warriors outspent and (a bit ironically) were healthier then their opponents this off-season.  For their huge luxury tax penalty, they got a championship.  Generally, they have just been playing their own players.

The teams that "bought" players and have large luxury tax payments that have nothing to show for it: Lakers and Clippers.  At least the Nets got a playoff series out of it.

And Kent Bazemore declined more money with the Warriors to go and lose with the Lakers.

I think Otto Porter is on another team next year (perhaps in LA).  AI is done, and Gary Payton Jr. and Kevon Looney will be real interesting to see what is done. 

35 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He said it after they beat them, Im pretty sure Jaren watched the NBA in high school and can remember that slogan.

It was their slogan from 2015-16, when Jaren was a 15 year old. It was a one off type deal. Without looking it up, what was our slogan from the 2015-16 season? 

57 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

It was their slogan from 2015-16, when Jaren was a 15 year old. It was a one off type deal. Without looking it up, what was our slogan from the 2015-16 season? 

Hopefully it was welcome to dunkyland

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The Warriors outspent and (a bit ironically) were healthier then their opponents this off-season.  For their huge luxury tax penalty, they got a championship.  Generally, they have just been playing their own players.

The teams that "bought" players and have large luxury tax payments that have nothing to show for it: Lakers and Clippers.  At least the Nets got a playoff series out of it.

And Kent Bazemore declined more money with the Warriors to go and lose with the Lakers.

I think Otto Porter is on another team next year (perhaps in LA).  AI is done, and Gary Payton Jr. and Kevon Looney will be real interesting to see what is done. 

I didn't mean to imply the Warriors did anything wrong. I am just speaking the fact that they had the highest salaried team in the league, pay more in luxury taxes than all but one other team's salary and you expect a veteran, highly paid and experienced team to beat a lower priced, inexperienced team. That is all. 

It will be interesting to see if the Warriors just keep spending money like they have now that the Tech bubble has blown up this spring...

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Wtf we arent the most notable team in the league over the last 7 years.  And even if by some miracle it was just bad timing, do you really think you can convince anyone on the Warriors it wasnt a shot at them?  

If a young player tweeted "grit and grind" after beating us in 2016 or 2017 we all know that a statement with our slogan in mind.

27 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Wtf we arent the most notable team in the league over the last 7 years.  And even if by some miracle it was just bad timing, do you really think you can convince anyone on the Warriors it wasnt a shot at them?  

If a young player tweeted "grit and grind" after beating us in 2016 or 2017 we all know that a statement with our slogan in mind.

To be fair, strength in numbers is a much more common saying that is much more widely used in general than Grit N Grind. Grit N Grind and Whoop Dat Trick are a very specific terms as far as sports go. Those phrases really weren't used that much (if at all) in sports until we used it.

I have no clue what JJJ's motives were but strength in numbers is a widely used phrase and furthermore, I thought it was quite bush league of Klay to bring that up at a press conference after winning a championship. They won the championship, why is he thinking about a friggen JJJ tweet from over a month ago? It was silly childish and petty on Klay's part imo. Why even bring that up, bad look imo. I think we can give JJJ some leeway here. If it were Dillon saying that, yeah, Dillon is known as a trash talker and I could see him rubbing something in people's face. For Klay to call JJJ a bum and clown is ridiculous imo.

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

To be fair, strength in numbers is a much more common saying that is much more widely used in general than Grit N Grind. Grit N Grind and Whoop Dat Trick are a very specific terms as far as sports go. Those phrases really weren't used that much (if at all) in sports until we used it.

I have no clue what JJJ's motives were but strength in numbers is a widely used phrase and furthermore, I thought it was quite bush league of Klay to bring that up at a press conference after winning a championship. They won the championship, why is he thinking about a friggen JJJ tweet from over a month ago? It was silly childish and petty on Klay's part imo. Why even bring that up, bad look imo. I think we can give JJJ some leeway here. If it were Dillon saying that, yeah, Dillon is known as a trash talker and I could see him rubbing something in people's face. For Klay to call JJJ a bum and clown is ridiculous imo.

Yeah bum and clown was too much but him bringing it up well we dont know the whole context of the conversation.  It coulda been about motivating comments or some of the younger teams writing them off, etc.

Also, I would say while strength in numbers is a widely used term to describe depth now, GSW was the team that probably gave it the most popularity initially.  They actually wrote it on towels, etc.

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah bum and clown was too much but him bringing it up well we dont know the whole context of the conversation.  It coulda been about motivating comments or some of the younger teams writing them off, etc.

The interview is out there. He used the term strength in numbers to talk about his own team and then goes on a tangent "Ha, I can't wait.....there was this one player from the Grizzlies that tweeted strength in numbers after they beat us...". You can start at 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Around 3:50 is when he calls him a bum and subsequently a clown. Totally unnecessary.

Also, I would say while strength in numbers is a widely used term to describe depth now, GSW was the team that probably gave it the most popularity initially.  They actually wrote it on towels, etc.

That term has been around for awhile. I have heard people say that in all types of contexts well before the Warriors.

Klay gets his soapbox. He gets to say what he wants with mics in his face after winning the NBA championship. 

You lose you go home nobody cares what you have to say. 

Now what is JJJ going to do about it? Use it for fuel come back better or shrink? 

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

Again that saying is 7 years old, if a young player tweets Grit and grind at some point in the 2023-24 season, then who knows. Like ODK has said, strength in numbers is a fairly common saying. I saw a couple dozen articles making references to that for various sports teams (that weren't the Warriors), as it is used in sports all the time. Particularly when you have good depth for a team, like Jaren was referencing. 

8 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The interview is out there. He used the term strength in numbers to talk about his own team and then goes on a tangent "Ha, I can't wait.....there was this one player from the Grizzlies that tweeted strength in numbers after they beat us...". You can start at 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Around 3:50 is when he calls him a bum and subsequently a clown. Totally unnecessary.

That term has been around for awhile. I have heard people say that in all types of contexts well before the Warriors.

This is probably social fodder, so thank you Klay for puttin a fire under JJJ, interior moves must be mastered, make em pay.

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

You were saying....

My takeaway is we were even bigger contenders than I thought. Also just a down year for the NBA overall - injured and/or unavailable superstars all over the place, teams like the Nets imploding, Harden bottoming out, etc..

11 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Again that saying is 7 years old, if a young player tweets Grit and grind at some point in the 2023-24 season, then who knows. Like ODK has said, strength in numbers is a fairly common saying. I saw a couple dozen articles making references to that for various sports teams (that weren't the Warriors), as it is used in sports all the time. Particularly when you have good depth for a team, like Jaren was referencing. 

Grit and grind started in 2010-11, it would be 13 years old at that point and all of the associated players would be retired.  Thats why I said 2016-17 when all of the associated players were still active but a little aged.  If KAT or somebody just murdered Zbo or Gasol in 2017 then tweeted that out, nobody in there right mind would say "he was just in high school, he didnt know what that meant."  Thats just silly.  You can say maybe he was just using a common phrase, but again, this is a team that actually put the slogan on towels and tshirts so I doubt that you can convince the Warriors that he hasnt seen that phrase commonly around their arena and city in the 4 years he has visited Oakland.