The J Crew

Around the NBA - 2nd annual "Who will our Grizz face in the Finals" thread?

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Who will the Grizzlies face in the 2022 NBA Finals?

Same answer I have had since summer 2018:  Grizzlies over Bucks.

Alt, if you end up being right, no one will ever question your draft boards again. 

Just now, The J Crew said:

Alt, if you end up being right, no one will ever question your draft boards again. 

Ha!  You can second guess my draft boards -- I do that all day.  lol

... I only got 1 of the Finals right though.  I thought the Lakers would win in 2020 and they did.  I had Suns/Bucks in a finals but not until 2025 -- and I had the Suns winning.

I also liked the Celtics/Sixers a bit more -- seems like they've flat-lined.

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

LeBron has to have a scapegoat. 

Lebron has gotten 5 coaches fired so far.  Additionally, Tyronn Lue was fired 6 games after Lebron left the Cavs.  

1 hour ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Lebron has gotten 5 coaches fired so far.  Additionally, Tyronn Lue was fired 6 games after Lebron left the Cavs.  

So this protected Lakers pick is gonna go down to the wire huh?

Gonna be some Raymond Chandler-level suspense noir with this pick....

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

So this protected Lakers pick is gonna go down to the wire huh?

Gonna be some Raymond Chandler-level suspense noir with this pick....

Probably so.  There's lots of moving factors.  Lakers are likely gonna be in the play-in, so it depends on if they end up in the playoffs or not.  

5 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Probably so.  There's lots of moving factors.  Lakers are likely gonna be in the play-in, so it depends on if they end up in the playoffs or not.  

It also makes the pick harder to trade.  Our draft strategy probably changes depending on if the Lakers pick conveys to us.

16ish/27/28 would put us in the driver's seat.  And, guessing that one of Tillman/Melton (or both) could end up being shopped with all that if we tried to move into the 7-10 range.  

If we DON'T get the pick, I can see us taking a couple of draft/stash players at 27/28 (or shop the picks to move up a bit, OR down for two high level second rounders and FUTURE second round picks).

... and if we don't get the Lakers pick, maybe that means that we should have gone "all in" at the trade deadline (with "all in" meaning Culver, one of our third string bigs, and two of Grizzlies 1st/Jazz 1st/protected future pick).

11-16ish pick would move the needle.  Two late late firsts... not so much.

14 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

It also makes the pick harder to trade.  Our draft strategy probably changes depending on if the Lakers pick conveys to us.

16ish/27/28 would put us in the driver's seat.  And, guessing that one of Tillman/Melton (or both) could end up being shopped with all that if we tried to move into the 7-10 range.  

If we DON'T get the pick, I can see us taking a couple of draft/stash players at 27/28 (or shop the picks to move up a bit, OR down for two high level second rounders and FUTURE second round picks).

... and if we don't get the Lakers pick, maybe that means that we should have gone "all in" at the trade deadline (with "all in" meaning Culver, one of our third string bigs, and two of Grizzlies 1st/Jazz 1st/protected future pick).

11-16ish pick would move the needle.  Two late late firsts... not so much.

Yeah, I think the Lakers pick is way too risky for anyone willing to trade for it at this point.  It's not a - well, it may drop a few spots, its a - it might completely disappear and turn into 2nd round picks.  When we made the trade last Summer and got it,  the Top-ten protection seemed irrelevant since the Lakers were a favorite to win the title.  Now, once things settle, if the Lakers don't make the playoff, and we dodge a bullet in the lottery, it could turn into something very valuable at 11, 12, or 13. 

5 hours ago, The J Crew said:

LeBron has to have a scapegoat. 

Of course

Angling to get his pal in - you know the one?

The one that destroyed GnG

1 hour ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Yeah, I think the Lakers pick is way too risky for anyone willing to trade for it at this point.  It's not a - well, it may drop a few spots, its a - it might completely disappear and turn into 2nd round picks.  When we made the trade last Summer and got it,  the Top-ten protection seemed irrelevant since the Lakers were a favorite to win the title.  Now, once things settle, if the Lakers don't make the playoff, and we dodge a bullet in the lottery, it could turn into something very valuable at 11, 12, or 13. 

It's almost like the 2003 pick.  LITERALLY LeBron Or Bust.  This isn't ... OR BUST -- since 2 future second rounders SHOULD be better than nothing and odds are GOAT DRAFT PICK isn't available at 11-16ish, but still, lots of moving pieces.  

With the pick up in the air, does that make it MORE or LESS LIKELY that we shop one of/both our first/Jazz first?  11-16ish pick will be a needle mover.  27/28ish maybe not.  So... should we raise our "2022 playoff ceiling" NOW with Culver/Jazz pick?  ... since it would be less likely that 27/28 RAISE our ceiling going forward?

19 hours ago, Subliminal said:

As much as I can dislike a player it always pains me when they have to deal with injuries 

You are a better man than I.  I don't wish an injury on anyone, but I feel no pain when Draymond gets injured.  Especially when I remember the cheap shot he gave a broken faced Conley.

I don't want CP3 to get injured, but if he did pick up an injury while flopping, I would be OK with the world.

insect33-gato.gif

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You are a better man than I.  I don't wish an injury on anyone, but I feel no pain when Draymond gets injured.  Especially when I remember the cheap shot he gave a broken faced Conley.

Remember when Draymond used to do that groin kick, leg flailing thing? He tried to defend it saying that’s natural for him and he couldnt control it, until the league threatened to start fining him. Then he magically stopped doing it. 

30 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

The Lakers loss was glorious last night! All that flash … so much fizzle.

They just cant score enough points.  Every other team has an offense geared towards open threes or driving layups allowing them to post 110-120 points.  The Lakers iso/mid post offense just doesnt create easy scoring chances like other teams even the bad ones.

19 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Mo Bamba has 28 points, including 7 for 8 from 3, at the half versus the 76ers. 

I saw that -- that's nuts!  I want him for Culver/Utah pick even IF he is only a playoff push rental.  If we move some guys around though, maybe we can resign him this summer (if a Jaren/Bamba pairing works out).

17 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Oh, by the way, isn't that a move straight out of Fizdale's book?

?Take that for data !?

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Oh, by the way, isn't that a move straight out of Fizdale's book?

More on David Fizdale's straight-shooting coaching style