The J Crew

Around the NBA - 2nd annual "Who will our Grizz face in the Finals" thread?

This seemed to keep an NBA thread in the main forum last year. 

Spurs - Lakers game is crazy. Tied at 114 with 32 seconds left. AD hurt his knee, down for a while, but stayed in game. LeBron out tonight. Crowd seems about 60% Lakers fans in San Antonio. 

Now OT. Spurs missed so many shots down the stretch. Lakers win in OT, really questionable coaching by Pop. As if anyone needed any more reason to root against the Lakers, we've go their pick.

Oh, and Carmelo has hit one FG the whole game, a layup. Might be time to be concerned about our perimeter D. 

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

This seemed to keep an NBA thread in the main forum last year. 

Spurs - Lakers game is crazy. Tied at 114 with 32 seconds left. AD hurt his knee, down for a while, but stayed in game. LeBron out tonight. Crowd seems about 60% Lakers fans in San Antonio. 

Now OT. Spurs missed so many shots down the stretch. Lakers win in OT, really questionable coaching by Pop. As if anyone needed any more reason to root against the Lakers, we've go their pick.

Oh, and Carmelo has hit one FG the whole game, a layup. Might be time to be concerned about our perimeter D. 

8 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

What a clustermess 

EDIT: Oh God, I hadn't read the replies to that tweet, they're hilarious!  ? 

Replies were hysterical. Having earlier lived in D/FW for 11 years, I can only imagine the sports talk radio today mocking Kidd.

Two things I don't understand from this summer:

1.  Why the owner who has pushed analytics as much as anyone, Mark Cuban, hires a coach like Jason Kidd?

2.  Why the Pelicans seemingly had zero interest in re-signing Lonzo Ball?

37 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Replies were hysterical. Having earlier lived in D/FW for 11 years, I can only imagine the sports talk radio today mocking Kidd.

Two things I don't understand from this summer:

1.  Why the owner who has pushed analytics as much as anyone, Mark Cuban, hires a coach like Jason Kidd?

2.  Why the Pelicans seemingly had zero interest in re-signing Lonzo Ball?

My favorite

About your questions:

1. No idea. It's not like Kidd is the kind of coach Luka would demand.

2. It's the Pelicans. Better not try to analyze their motives. That way madness lies.

10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

My favorite

About your questions:

2. It's the Pelicans. Better not try to analyze their motives. That way madness lies.

In the summer of 2018 (after the draft) I predicted the Grizzlies beating the Bucks for the 2022 title.  I was WRONG in 2019 (I had Boston winning).  I was RIGHT in 2020 (I had the Lakers winning).  I was WRONG last year, but I DID have a Suns/Bucks Finals (but in 2025 with Suns over Bucks).  

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

My favorite

About your questions:

I'm not even the biggest Lonzo fan. But he's pretty good. And not like it would have take a max to keep him there.

This one is definitely Grizz related because I think it makes sense to have a couple griz players, including ZW, go down to the Hustle training camp. Culver might as well just stay there, as well as Santi, until they are needed.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This one is definitely Grizz related because I think it makes sense to have a couple griz players, including ZW, go down to the Hustle training camp. Culver might as well just stay there, as well as Santi, until they are needed.

I will be surprised if Ziaire, doesn't spend a lot of time with the Hustle. He needs minutes, a lot of minutes. 

Kleiman has to be looking at this list and wondering at what might have been. Giddey and Wagner both putting up numbers.

I would have Evan Mobley #1. Guy is going to be a star, and is already really good.

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

I'm not even the biggest Lonzo fan. But he's pretty good. And not like it would have take a max to keep him there.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I kinda lean keep ZW with main club for awhile, we need his size and his 3 ball is falling for now

20 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Kleiman has to be looking at this list and wondering at what might have been. Giddey and Wagner both putting up numbers.

I would have Evan Mobley #1. Guy is going to be a star, and is already really good.

Chris Daurte I was hoping we wouldn't pick him like some mocks were slotting him with us at 17, be careful what you wish for ?

1 minute ago, Ace-is-high said:

Chris Daurte I was hoping we wouldn't pick him like some mocks were slotting him with us at 17, be careful what you wish for ?

Duarte is really good. He's already 24, doesn't have great wingspan, which is why he dropped to the Pacers. But 20 points and 5 boards while shooting 45% from three is pretty **** good.

Ignoring age and some measurements worked for us with Des and Xavier. Sometimes it's best just to draft the best player. 

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Duarte is really good. He's already 24, doesn't have great wingspan, which is why he dropped to the Pacers. But 20 points and 5 boards while shooting 45% from three is pretty **** good.

Ignoring age and some measurements worked for us with Des and Xavier. Sometimes it's best just to draft the best player. 

I think DB dropped because of age as well, .. I understand the logic at draft time but I have a feeling we're going to switch gears from rebuild to win now before the trade deadline, Ja is ahead of the curve and in win now mode, FO and his teammates need to adjust

9 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

I think DB dropped because of age as well, .. I understand the logic at draft time but I have a feeling we're going to switch gears from rebuild to win now before the trade deadline, Ja is ahead of the curve and in win now mode, FO and his teammates need to adjust

DB definitely fits the mold. I didn't mention him because the previous regime drafted Dillon. But probably should have. 

33 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

DB definitely fits the mold. I didn't mention him because the previous regime drafted Dillon. But probably should have. 

This board needs to halt on the DB references in these cases because of Des Bane and Dillon Brooks. 

I'd ask for one on SA, but just make sure it's clear on Steven Adams and Santi

Duarte is doing what he was projected to do.  I am not crying over him because dude is so old and really a SG.    Des can do what he does so no loss to me.    Wagner and Giddey are more interesting to watch but they got drafted ahead of us anyway.   So no reason to cry over their production either.    Im only keeping an eye on the wings that were picked after ZW.  

34 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This board needs to halt on the DB references in these cases because of Des Bane and Dillon Brooks. 

I'd ask for one on SA, but just make sure it's clear on Steven Adams and Santi

Dave Bing and Shareef Abdur-Rahim take offense to being left off this list.