GF#1

Grizzlies and Jaren Jackson agree on 4 year 105 million extension

4 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Foul trouble is still his biggest issue going forward he was 1st in fouls in the regular season.

Why is he always fouling or some of them just bad calls?

I still argue that the rebounding is a big problem he needs to work on, last night was the problem at its worst. 

Think it's an underrated weakness for Ziaire Williams too, the 3.5 rebounds per 36 is not good enough if Jaren is also not going to rebound. One of them is going to have to pick it up if they're going to be sharing so many minutes together. 

7 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I still argue that the rebounding is a big problem he needs to work on, last night was the problem at its worst. 

Think it's an underrated weakness for Ziaire Williams too, the 3.5 rebounds per 36 is not good enough if Jaren is also not going to rebound. One of them is going to have to pick it up if they're going to be sharing so many minutes together. 

Dillon is also bad a rebounding for a small forward. I think he’s more of a shooting guard but isn’t athletic enough to play there

2 hours ago, My man Allen said:

Dillon is also bad a rebounding for a small forward. I think he’s more of a shooting guard but isn’t athletic enough to play there

He did okay at it last season.  He just bullied the opponent.

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

He did okay at it last season.  He just bullied the opponent.

I agree. He did alright last season. His defense is what makes me hard to let him go 

On 5/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I'm certainly not going to blame that rebounding mess on him. That's every single person that stepped on the court. They just didn't give the effort required. Obviously long shots lead to long rebounds, which means it's everyone's job to rebound. No one was really up to the task. 

23 hours ago, My man Allen said:

Dillon played SF to allow Bane to start. I've always said Dillon is a power guard. He can play SG in the league

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm certainly not going to blame that rebounding mess on him. That's every single person that stepped on the court. They just didn't give the effort required. Obviously long shots lead to long rebounds, which means it's everyone's job to rebound. No one was really up to the task. 

I am not talking about last night, I'm talking about the future. ZW/Jaren this year averaged 11 rebounds per 36 minutes. If that is our 3/4 combo of the future, either one is going to have to get significantly better or the rest of the roster is going to need to be built up to paper over that weakness (like Ja's defensive issues). Or the entire team will just have to be completely better in the other areas where that flaw doesn't matter which is tough. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dillon played SF to allow Bane to start. I've always said Dillon is a power guard. He can play SG in the league

He’s low key a tweener. He’s not ideal for either position 

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I am not talking about last night, I'm talking about the future. ZW/Jaren this year averaged 11 rebounds per 36 minutes. If that is our 3/4 combo of the future, either one is going to have to get significantly better or the rest of the roster is going to need to be built up to paper over that weakness (like Ja's defensive issues). Or the entire team will just have to be completely better in the other areas where that flaw doesn't matter which is tough. 

I agree with you here.    Bane is a better rebounder than both of them and thats not a compliment to Bane.    On positive note Jaren did avg decent rebounding rate when Adams was out.   Its just never gonna be a strength of his.   

Truthfully Zaire is really just a tall Lanky SG.  he is gonna have to really gain some strength, rebounding and slashing skills to become a SF.  

Jaren improved significantly on his rebounding this year. He went from 8.5% of Total Rebound % in 19-20 (which was 98th) to 11.8% (which was 51st). While that number is still not fantastic, it is a pretty significant jump, even while playing next to a dominant rebounder. In the playoffs, his TRB% went to 12.8% while playing more center, which would've jumped him up to 38th. From Game 2 of the Minny series to Game 3 of the Warriors series (where Adams more or less didn't play at all) his total rebound % was 15.2 (would've been 29th in the NBA in between KAT and Julius Randle). I think that's totally reasonable, and I believe he could certainly match or improve on that number. He's a completely different rebounder when he plays at the 5 in comparison to the 4. Now like GTF said, I don't think it'll ever be a true strength of his, but I firmly believe he can be at the very least serviceable there. I'm not trying to say 29th in the NBA is great by any means, but just think how much he's improved since his last full year. 

On 5/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

What are ya'll smoking - those of you that want to trade Jaren.     

JJJ did find his three point stroke (finally) in the playoffs after averaging below 32% from the arc in the regular season. His rebounding also improved from 5.8 RPG to 6.8 RPG in the playoffs. I have not ever advocated trading him although I have in the past (and continue to believe today) believe he still has a lot of work to do on his game. 

But you have to understand the opposing sides frustration with him. In Game 6 JJJ grabbed four rebounds while all three of the Warriors frontline grabbed double digits (Wiggins 11, Green 15 and Looney 22). Adams was injured in the first quarter when his ankle rolled but he still managed 10 rebounds. Jaren was 5-19 shooting, grabbed 4 reoubnds and was a -12 +/- in the most important game of the season and people want to ignore that and just focus on his playoff three point shooting in the playoffs? The team needed him to step up with Ja injured and he failed miserably. 

JJJ took a major step forward this season, but I hope it doesn't go to his head.  He needs to remain in Memphis working on his game like he (finally) did last summer. He has potential but if he doesn't continue to improve it will look like Stro-tential at the end of his career. All three-point shooting and blocked shots but never developing any other part of his game would be pretty disappointing.   

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

JJJ did find his three point stroke (finally) in the playoffs after averaging below 32% from the arc in the regular season. His rebounding also improved from 5.8 RPG to 6.8 RPG in the playoffs. I have not ever advocated trading him although I have in the past (and continue to believe today) believe he still has a lot of work to do on his game. 

But you have to understand the opposing sides frustration with him. In Game 6 JJJ grabbed four rebounds while all three of the Warriors frontline grabbed double digits (Wiggins 11, Green 15 and Looney 22). Adams was injured in the first quarter when his ankle rolled but he still managed 10 rebounds. Jaren was 5-19 shooting, grabbed 4 reoubnds and was a -12 +/- in the most important game of the season and people want to ignore that and just focus on his playoff three point shooting in the playoffs? The team needed him to step up with Ja injured and he failed miserably. 

JJJ took a major step forward this season, but I hope it doesn't go to his head.  He needs to remain in Memphis working on his game like he (finally) did last summer. He has potential but if he doesn't continue to improve it will look like Stro-tential at the end of his career. All three-point shooting and blocked shots but never developing any other part of his game would be pretty disappointing.   

oh i am super frustrated with him as well and he still needs to improve in the areas you pointed out.   I just want to make sure the fans appreciate and recognize the growth has has made.

I think you are also underselling what he can already do by labeling him as just "All three-point shooting and blocked shots".   He is a legit defensive anchor.  So right now his floor is defensive anchor/3pt shooter - that is a darn good floor. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

oh i am super frustrated with him as well and he still needs to improve in the areas you pointed out.   I just want to make sure the fans appreciate and recognize the growth has has made.

I think you are also underselling what he can already do by labeling him as just "All three-point shooting and blocked shots".   He is a legit defensive anchor.  So right now his floor is defensive anchor/3pt shooter - that is a darn good floor. 

I don't consider him a legit defensive anchor until he gets his propensity to foul under control. He improved but he still led the league in fouls committed this season. To be a legit defensive anchor he has to be able to defend without fouling. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:52 PM, Rdk4121 said:

Jaren improved significantly on his rebounding this year. He went from 8.5% of Total Rebound % in 19-20 (which was 98th) to 11.8% (which was 51st). While that number is still not fantastic, it is a pretty significant jump, even while playing next to a dominant rebounder. In the playoffs, his TRB% went to 12.8% while playing more center, which would've jumped him up to 38th. From Game 2 of the Minny series to Game 3 of the Warriors series (where Adams more or less didn't play at all) his total rebound % was 15.2 (would've been 29th in the NBA in between KAT and Julius Randle). I think that's totally reasonable, and I believe he could certainly match or improve on that number. He's a completely different rebounder when he plays at the 5 in comparison to the 4. Now like GTF said, I don't think it'll ever be a true strength of his, but I firmly believe he can be at the very least serviceable there. I'm not trying to say 29th in the NBA is great by any means, but just think how much he's improved since his last full year. 

This season his rebounding was the best so far

10 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

This season his rebounding was the best so far

Still subpar considering he played against a Minnesota team with KAT hanging at the 3 point line and Golden State with no one close to his height. He grabbed 4 rebounds in Game 6. That was an elimination game and he grabbed four rebounds total. Everyone on Golden State's front line grabbed double figures and Adams, who rolled his ankle in the 1st quarter, managed to get 10.  

Yes this year was JJJ's best so far but he needs to improve a lot. 

On 5/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, chipc3 said:

I don't consider him a legit defensive anchor until he gets his propensity to foul under control. He improved but he still led the league in fouls committed this season. To be a legit defensive anchor he has to be able to defend without fouling. 

*Marcus Smart enters the chat

all defensive anchors hack

3 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

*Marcus Smart enters the chat

all defensive anchors hack

Yeah, you are right.  They just don't call FOULS on guys like Marcus Smart -- or Tony Allen back in the day.  lol

Jaren is probably our Defensive Anchor 1, still could use Defensive Anchor 1a and Defensive Anchor 1b.  A LEGIT wing defender.  A LEGIT primary deluxe rim protector who can also crash the glass (yes, that matters for defense).  

One question: anyone know if Jaren shoots better from 3 as a power forward or as a center?  Which five man lineup contributes to Jaren's best shooting?

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah, you are right.  They just don't call FOULS on guys like Marcus Smart -- or Tony Allen back in the day.  lol

Jaren is probably our Defensive Anchor 1, still could use Defensive Anchor 1a and Defensive Anchor 1b.  A LEGIT wing defender.  A LEGIT primary deluxe rim protector who can also crash the glass (yes, that matters for defense).  

One question: anyone know if Jaren shoots better from 3 as a power forward or as a center?  Which five man lineup contributes to Jaren's best shooting?

Personally I think center, just because his defender is less likely to close out to him if it's another center. 

7 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

JJJ needs to shoot better. Ye gods he shot 41% from the field and 32% from 3 this year. Not sure he could do worse if he were trying to.

He was only 41 from the field?????

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

He was only 41 from the field?????

Yeah - his shooting was pretty awful this year. He's particularly terrible on corner threes; if he can get up to just league average on those shots (which is roughly 38% - right now he's at 28% from right corner and 24% from left corner), that would bump up his overall field goal %. He's also far below league average when finishing at the basket. He still has a lot of work to do this offseason.

13 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

JJJ needs to shoot better. Ye gods he shot 41% from the field and 32% from 3 this year. Not sure he could do worse if he were trying to.

Come on. He could do a lot worse if he tried...

Yeah - his shooting was pretty awful this year. He's particularly terrible on corner threes; if he can get up to just league average on those shots (which is roughly 38% - right now he's at 28% from right corner and 24% from left corner), that would bump up his overall field goal %. He's also far below league average when finishing at the basket. He still has a lot of work to do this offseason.

Now you are sounding like a Triple J hater. Wanting him to improve on his game and actually work on things over the summer is hater talk. He's the UNICORN for goodness sake. You just have to keep repeating that and all will be well. 😉

50 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Come on. He could do a lot worse if he tried...

Now you are sounding like a Triple J hater. Wanting him to improve on his game and actually work on things over the summer is hater talk. He's the UNICORN for goodness sake. You just have to keep repeating that and all will be well. 😉

Chip, I'm sure there's some history to that for you that I wasn't necessarily around to see, but every time I hear that he's a UNICORN, I think that not all unicorns are created equal. And I think if you're going to have one, you better make sure your scheme is designed to take full advantage of that. And I don't think our team's approach does. 

He can hit the 3? Great. I understand that potentially opens the lane for Ja. But I wouldn't mind see him do some more traditional things more often. There are times I watch the game and wish Jaren would just post up and beg for the ball. He has the gifts to be a very dominant post player. He's almost too athletic for his own good.

42 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Chip, I'm sure there's some history to that for you that I wasn't necessarily around to see, but every time I hear that he's a UNICORN, I think that not all unicorns are created equal. And I think if you're going to have one, you better make sure your scheme is designed to take full advantage of that. And I don't think our team's approach does. 

He can hit the 3? Great. I understand that potentially opens the lane for Ja. But I wouldn't mind see him do some more traditional things more often. There are times I watch the game and wish Jaren would just post up and beg for the ball. He has the gifts to be a very dominant post player. He's almost too athletic for his own good.

You did see the winking face emoji at the end of that statement, right? You know what that means don't you?