GF#1

Grizzlies and Jaren Jackson agree on 4 year 105 million extension

28 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You consider these ideas using your minds and imaginations to understand what the front office is doing? 

I can tell you what the FO is doing. They are scouting college and international players for the abundance of picks we have coming in the next draft, fielding phone calls daily from other GMs looking to make a deal and trying to find ones that make sense but mostly laughing their offers off and they are pitching ideas to other teams that are being laughed at mostly but sifted for something interesting just the same. 

I sincerely doubt they are interested in doing anything to mess up the team chemistry right now so they are basically saying no to offers and if they happen to venture over here laughing their heads off at some of your ideas. 

I believe everyone here wants what's best for the team, for the most part, so yes I think when people post their opinions on here they are using what knowledge and mental models of the game they have to try to understand what would be best for the team to do and that is the same thing the FO/coaching staff is doing, albeit with much more knowledge, experience, data at their fingertips.  We are all seekers of knowledge here and by posting our takes/ ideas here for criticism we are hoping to improve our understanding of the game and the team. 

Reflexively just trusting that the front office and coaching staff are always doing the right thing and not at least trying to understand why it is the right thing does not help one gain in basketball wisdom or understanding and is a boring take.

18 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

But has he improved?

I dont think there has been huge improvement overall in the areas he needs to develop but he has improved from where he was at when the article was written just by getting back to doing what he does well, well again.

48 minutes ago, KyleB said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/1/22757010/jaren-jackson-jr-grizzlies-ja-morant-development

"the Grizzlies have been living and dying based on whether Jackson is in. They go from a net rating of plus-7 in 164 minutes with him to minus-19.7 in 129 minutes without him."

"Playing with Jackson gives Morant more room to attack the basket and easier passes to make. Per NBA Advanced Stats, his true shooting percentage jumps by 6.8 points and his ratio of assists to turnovers is almost twice as high."

While i 100% agree with the the theme of the article, that JJJ impacts the team positively even when he's not scoring a lot of points, I'm not sure how they came up with the -19.7 off stat, as neither the Team stats or On/Off stats playing with Ja show that much of a drop off.

The on/off stats indicate that over the full season the differential for players that have played significant minutes is highest for JJJ, followed by Adams.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

I dont think there has been huge improvement overall in the areas he needs to develop but he has improved from where he was at when the article was written just by getting back to what he does well, well again.

diplomatically said!

If he never adds anything else to his game and just remains a stretch big who can block shots and is switchable on the perimeter and can occasionally drive to the rack on bigger slower defenders, as long as he can consistently do those things well and maybe improve a little on not fouling so much or maybe just start getting more of a veteran whistle from the refs he will still be a very valuable NBA player and a good fit to play with Ja. 

11 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

I believe everyone here wants what's best for the team, for the most part, so yes I think when people post their opinions on here they are using what knowledge and mental models of the game they have to try to understand what would be best for the team to do and that is the same thing the FO/coaching staff is doing, albeit with much more knowledge, experience, data at their fingertips.  We are all seekers of knowledge here and by posting our takes/ ideas here for criticism we are hoping to improve our understanding of the game and the team. 

Reflexively just trusting that the front office and coaching staff are always doing the right thing and not at least trying to understand why it is the right thing does not help one gain in basketball wisdom or understanding and is a boring take.

I respectfully disagree.

I believe the majority of people are not trying to understand what the Front Office is doing. They are trying to play fantasy basketball GM and think they can know more than the FO does. 

The Front Office has repeatedly said their goal is to build a long-term successful team that competes for the NBA title every season. Throwing away youth and draft picks on older players that have only put produced on bad teams sounds more like someone ignoring what the Front Office is telling them and/or pretending they know more and are smarter than those doing the job.  

Seekers of wisdom sounds grand but when you are seeking understanding by going in the opposite direction of what you are told is the plan well that doesn't seem very wise to me.

99% of these trade ideas are not following the plan the front office has repeatedly said they are pursuing which is why so many people on the board criticized the front office when they made the deals they did make that put the team in the position they are in today. 

If you want to seek understanding of the front office moves, read or listen to what they say. Posting on a message board some random trade that has nothing to do with what the Front Office said is their plan is not the road to enlightenment. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

99% of these trade ideas are not following the plan the front office has repeatedly said they are following which is why so many people on the board criticized the front office when they made the deals they did make which put the team in the position they are in today. 

Glad you implied that my ENTIRELY SENSIBLE trade of Culver/Aldama/Jazz pick for Watanabe/FORMER NBA CHAMP Chris Boucher is in that 1% of trade ideas!

#OnePercenter

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

Glad you implied that my ENTIRELY SENSIBLE trade of Culver/Aldama/Jazz pick for Watanabe/FORMER NBA CHAMP Chris Boucher is in that 1% of trade ideas!

#OnePercenter

Image result for rolling eyes gif

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I respectfully disagree.

I believe the majority of people are not trying to understand what the Front Office is doing. They are trying to play fantasy basketball GM and think they can know more than the FO does. 

The Front Office has repeatedly said their goal is to build a long-term successful team that competes for the NBA title every season. Throwing away youth and draft picks on older players that have only put produced on bad teams sounds more like someone ignoring what the Front Office is telling them and/or pretending they know more and are smarter than those doing the job.  

Seekers of wisdom sounds grand but when you are seeking understanding by going in the opposite direction of what you are told is the plan well that doesn't seem very wise to me.

99% of these trade ideas are not following the plan the front office has repeatedly said they are pursuing which is why so many people on the board criticized the front office when they made the deals they did make that put the team in the position they are in today. 

If you want to seek understanding of the front office moves, read or listen to what they say. Posting on a message board some random trade that has nothing to do with what the Front Office said is their plan is not the road to enlightenment. 

I agree with this.  We have stayed young.  In the 2018-2019 our average age was 27.7.  Kleiman was hired at the end of this season.  The 2019-2020 our average age dropped down to 24.1.  Last year, 24.2.  This year, 24.1.  The years go by, but we stay the same age. I think this is intentional and allows us to build up talent and picks, while keeping payroll relatively low.  As this talent gets experience and develops, our age will start to slowly rise.  Regarding trades, they've built this roster mainly with home grown talent.  10 of our 15 roster guys have only ever played for the Grizzlies.  We aren't going to make a blockbuster trade or have a blockbuster FA signing.  The trades we make will be like we did for a 1 year player like Melton, or the rights for a draft pick like Clarke/Bane.  The FA's we sign will be like Tyus and Kyle.  With trades, rarely is it a win/win.  There's usually a winner and a loser.  It's tough to get a team to trade you a winning deal, but they'd gladly take a winning deal from you.  Every now and then, you can catch a team that is desperate, and willing to make a bad trade.  

10 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

The trades we make will be like we did for a 1 year player like Melton, or the rights for a draft pick like Clarke/Bane.  The FA's we sign will be like Tyus and Kyle.  

Tyus/Kyle were great signings.  I think they would be great RE-SIGNINGS too.

I also think we scale in and out of drafts (buy/sell/trade picks), but I doubt we trade entirely OUT of the draft.  FO seems like one that likes to draft players.  

If we take on a 1 year rental, then ideally we do it THIS summer before we have to sign Ja/BC/Bane.  

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Tyus/Kyle were great signings.  I think they would be great RE-SIGNINGS too.

I also think we scale in and out of drafts (buy/sell/trade picks), but I doubt we trade entirely OUT of the draft.  FO seems like one that likes to draft players.  

If we take on a 1 year rental, then ideally we do it THIS summer before we have to sign Ja/BC/Bane.  

Image result for I dont think so gif

One-year rentals aren't in the plan Stan. The team is being built for long-term continued success. One year rentals are only coming here as a young player throw in part of a deal. They FO has said they are not looking for quick fixes. 

20 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

I agree with this.  We have stayed young.  In the 2018-2019 our average age was 27.7.  Kleiman was hired at the end of this season.  The 2019-2020 our average age dropped down to 24.1.  Last year, 24.2.  This year, 24.1.  The years go by, but we stay the same age. I think this is intentional and allows us to build up talent and picks, while keeping payroll relatively low.  As this talent gets experience and develops, our age will start to slowly rise.  Regarding trades, they've built this roster mainly with home grown talent.  10 of our 15 roster guys have only ever played for the Grizzlies.  We aren't going to make a blockbuster trade or have a blockbuster FA signing.  The trades we make will be like we did for a 1 year player like Melton, or the rights for a draft pick like Clarke/Bane.  The FA's we sign will be like Tyus and Kyle.  With trades, rarely is it a win/win.  There's usually a winner and a loser.  It's tough to get a team to trade you a winning deal, but they'd gladly take a winning deal from you.  Every now and then, you can catch a team that is desperate, and willing to make a bad trade.  

I may be misremembering but pretty much every recent nba champion has made a big win-now move and sacrificed some part of future

2021- Bucks Jrue Holiday

2020- Lakers- Anthony Davis trade

2019- Raptors- Kawhi

2017-18- Warriors- They didn't have to make the big move because KD just came to them like a loser.

2016-Cavs- like 3-4 sacrifice the future moves

44 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree. I think most of us just come here because we like talking basketball and/or angering certain posters ???

If there is anyone trying to play fantasy GM who thinks the FO will get a brilliant idea from their post, they’re off their rocker.

I personally throw out random trades because I like talking basketball, and player value. I like comparing how I think to how other basketball minded people think about players, teams and the league in general. 

I don’t at all want to seek understanding of a FO tho, they not gone pay me ???   

Just now, Grizzfan7979 said:

I may be misremembering but pretty much every recent nba champion has made a big win-now move and sacrificed some part of future

2021- Bucks Jrue Holiday

2019- Raptors- Kawhi

2017-18- Warriors- They didn't have to make the big move because KD just came to them like a loser.

Well, maybe all of our "big moves" happened in the draft and we won't need go outside the organization for a player, just let them incubate until the time is right.  The Bucks were close.  They drafted Giannis, traded for Middleton early in his career and let them develop.  They made the Eastern finals in 2019.  They just needed that one final piece.  Maybe we won't need a piece like that.  

14 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

2021- Bucks Jrue Holiday

2019- Raptors- Kawhi

Yeah, I was about to add that the Showtime Lakers/Celtics/Bulls dynasties tweaked their rosters basically every season.  I feel like that most title winners/mini-dynasty teams make "small moves" at trade deadlines, too.

Those teams are usually BUYERS once those "buy out" guys hit the scrap heap.

Jaren had 11 rebounds in just 22 minutes tonight, and I thought his defense down the stretch really helped win us the game. He had two blocks in the 4th and certainly altered a couple more. The announcers even mentioned his defensive impact in the 4th. Obviously the fouls are an issue, but he did well to not pick up one in the 4th. 

We outrebounded the Warriors tonight 49-45 (which was slightly under our 53% total rebound rate). I know this one doesn't count since they are a bad team that can't rebound (3rd in opponent rebounds. 5th in team rebounding). 

Either way, solid effort all around. 

17 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Jaren had 11 rebounds in just 22 minutes tonight, and I thought his defense down the stretch really helped win us the game. He had two blocks in the 4th and certainly altered a couple more. The announcers even mentioned his defensive impact in the 4th. Obviously the fouls are an issue, but he did well to not pick up one in the 4th. 

We outrebounded the Warriors tonight 49-45 (which was slightly under our 53% total rebound rate). I know this one doesn't count since they are a bad team that can't rebound (3rd in opponent rebounds. 5th in team rebounding). 

Either way, solid effort all around. 

Jaren really helped down the stretch.  Shut down the inside.  He also hit some good shots.

Jaren is where he should be. He will still have bad night ( as almost all player have) but he is much more consistent than he was. If he remain serious, work hard, play at his right position, he will be a superstar, ni doubt about it.  

1 hour ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Jaren is where he should be. He will still have bad night ( as almost all player have) but he is much more consistent than he was. If he remain serious, work hard, play at his right position, he will be a superstar, ni doubt about it.  

He is way more consistent and looks more comfortable now 

15 hours ago, King Dork said:

I respectfully disagree. I think most of us just come here because we like talking basketball and/or angering certain posters ???

If there is anyone trying to play fantasy GM who thinks the FO will get a brilliant idea from their post, they’re off their rocker.

I personally throw out random trades because I like talking basketball, and player value. I like comparing how I think to how other basketball minded people think about players, teams and the league in general. 

Post of the Week ?

15 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

2021- Bucks Jrue Holiday

2019- Raptors- Kawhi

There is a difference between making a long term move that produces short-term gains (like a single championship) and making a move to bolster your team on a rental. Kawhi was a rental but Toronto did everything they could to sign him. Milwaukee still has Jrue, LA still has AD, Warriors had KD for a few years and tried to keep him longer. I have no problem with the team making moves that last for a few years but a one season rental I am against. 

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

There is a difference between making a long term move that produces short-term gains (like a single championship) and making a move to bolster your team on a rental. Kawhi was a rental but Toronto did everything they could to sign him. Milwaukee still has Jrue, LA still has AD, Warriors had KD for a few years and tried to keep him longer. I have no problem with the team making moves that last for a few years but a one season rental I am against. 

You knocked the head off of that nail. 
key words : long. term

The way the Warriors got kd without losing Steph, Klay , or Dray -> yup.

They won rings before him, with him , and are right back on track to get another one after he moved on.

think our suits can figure out a way to pull something like that off ?

they seem like they know what they’re doing.

17 hours ago, King Dork said:

This, and I'm bored a lot.

45 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

You knocked the head off of that nail. 
key words : long. term

The way the Warriors got kd without losing Steph, Klay , or Dray -> yup.

They won rings before him, with him , and are right back on track to get another one after he moved on.

think our suits can figure out a way to pull something like that off ?

they seem like they know what they’re doing.

The first step was getting a discount on Steph's second contract because of his ankles. Some might say we just got a discount on Jaren's second contract because of his injuries. 

41 minutes ago, KyleB said:

The first step was getting a discount on Steph's second contract because of his ankles. Some might say we just got a discount on Jaren's second contract because of his injuries. 

Very true but his foul issues helped a lot too. ?