GF#1

Grizzlies and Jaren Jackson agree on 4 year 105 million extension

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

NBA reduced the Covid protocol days from 10 to 5. 

Yea because this is obviously all about the "Science".   If they lose enough viewership they may also lower the amount of testing soon too - cuz of "Science". 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea because this is obviously all about the "Science".   If they lose enough viewership they may also lower the amount of testing soon too - cuz of "Science". 

so you want longer covid isolation periods?

22 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

so you want longer covid isolation periods?

No i think it is all Theatre.   They are just randomly picking isolation amount.  Because if there was "Science" behind it then you couldn't change the times based on business needs.    

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

NBA reduced the Covid protocol days from 10 to 5. 

Dillon was eligible to come back in 5 days, but you have to get 2 consecutive negative tests and be asymptomatic.  You don't just wait the time and come back.  Obviously, either Dillon was still symptomatic or was still testing positive.  

16 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren may never become the fabled Unicorn but what he is already is a 2way Big.   That is extremely valuable for any team that has championship aspirations.   

WHAT? Never become the fabled Unicorn. Bite your tongue. 

Image result for how dare you say that gif

10 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Dillon was eligible to come back in 5 days, but you have to get 2 consecutive negative tests and be asymptomatic.  You don't just wait the time and come back.  Obviously, either Dillon was still symptomatic or was still testing positive.  

NBA is actually 6 days now, when I typed 5 I was thinking of CDC. 

In any case, Dillon was 10 days. He went into H&S on December 26th, before the NBA shortened the quarantine days. 

20 hours ago, chipc3 said:

All Rebounds count not just a couple of games I believe is what we are trying to get people to understand. 

Those two games are the only games Adams has missed this season, so for anyone trying to make the point that Jackson is capable of rebounding when the team needs him to those are the only two games that are relevant. Jackson doesn't need to be a great rebounder when Adams is playing, just like he didn't when JV was playing. Does anyone really think it's just a coincidence  that two of his best rebounding games were game when Adams was out? Would it make yall happier if he was taking boards away from his teammate? Which helps make Ja's life easier, camping JJJ out in the paint to hunt for rebounds when Adams is already there or having a big who can play on the perimeter on both offense and defense? Would you rather he switch on defense and stay with ballhandlers like very few bigs in the history of the NBA have been able to do as well as he does, or would you rather stay in rebounding position and let the opposing guards do what they want? Would you rather he camp out in the paint on offense and clog the lane making things harder on Ja and potentially bogging down the offense or would you rather he hits some threes and open the paint for Ja?

The thing we are trying to get people to understand is JJJ isn't a traditional big and trying to force him into being one does not do him or the team any favors. The game has changed and he is very well suited for what it is evolving to and is very well suited for being Ja's running mate. They work well together but the benefits of their symbiotic relationship are more likely to show up in Ja's stat line. There was a very good Ringer article about this a few months ago.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

Those two games are the only games Adams has missed this season, so for anyone trying to make the point that Jackson is capable of rebounding when the team needs him to those are the only two games that are relevant. Jackson doesn't need to be a great rebounder when Adams is playing, just like he didn't when JV was playing. Does anyone really think it's just a coincidence  that two of his best rebounding games were game when Adams was out? Would it make yall happier if he was taking boards away from his teammate? Which helps make Ja's life easier, camping JJJ out in the paint to hunt for rebounds when Adams is already there or having a big who can play on the perimeter on both offense and defense? Would you rather he switch on defense and stay with ballhandlers like very few bigs in the history of the NBA have been able to do as well as he does, or would you rather stay in rebounding position and let the opposing guards do what they want? Would you rather he camp out in the paint on offense and clog the lane making things harder on Ja and potentially bogging down the offense or would you rather he hits some threes and open the paint for Ja?

The thing we are trying to get people to understand is JJJ isn't a traditional big and trying to force him into being one does not do him or the team any favors. The game has changed and he is very well suited for what it is evolving to and is very well suited for being Ja's running mate. They work well together but the benefits of their symbiotic relationship are more likely to show up in Ja's stat line. There was a very good Ringer article about this a few months ago.

I don't deny that there is a limited number of games to draw a conclusion from but that doesn't make any conclusion drawn from a small number of examples valid. Jaren has played a large number of minutes at center this season while Adams was out so the excuse that he never got a chance for rebounds isn't valid either. 

4 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Great points!

19 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

NBA is actually 6 days now, when I typed 5 I was thinking of CDC. 

In any case, Dillon was 10 days. He went into H&S on December 26th, before the NBA shortened the quarantine days. 

The NBA shortened it to 6 days on the 27th.  The day after he went out.  So he could have gotten out after 6 days provided he was asymptomatic and had 2 negative tests.  

You don't need to look at individual games and extrapolate to a whole season. Just look at on/off stats that will give you a better idea of how a player stats are affected when another player is on or off the court.

https://www.fantasylabs.com/nba/on-off/

By the way, Jaren's REB% is exactly the same when Adams is on and off the court.

3 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

The NBA shortened it to 6 days on the 27th.  The day after he went out.  So he could have gotten out after 6 days provided he was asymptomatic and had 2 negative tests.  

Not the way it works, but am tired of the Covid discussion. 

2 hours ago, KyleB said:

Post a link to the article if you can find it.

Ja/Jaren should be 1/1a.  Obviously, slightly different skill sets but Ja/Jaren could be the new version of Kobe/Shaq.  Not the GREATEST fit, but two awesome players.  And, you take a 3 peat (with a 4th Finals appearance) ANY day.

Ja should have to defer to Jaren just as much as Jaren defers to Ja.

It's on the FO/coaching to optimize the Ja/Jaren fit -- but it's on the players too.

If Adams starting at the 5 is best for the TEAM, that's what should happen.  If BC/Jaren (with Adams as the backup big man) is best for the team then we should do that.

Right now, for balance, I would go for a Ja/Konchar/Bane/BC/Jaren starting five.  Ja/Konchar/Bane was an effective perimeter trio before Konchar missed a few games.  BC/Jaren looks great.  Mix of scoring, shooting, athleticism and solid role play.  

Second team of Tyus/Melton back court (obvious answer with Dillon out) then maybe more length/shooting at forward with ZW/Tillie and Adams as the backup center.  Use Slo Mo as either the nominal 6th man or "deep bench depth".  Tillman/Aldama/Culver/Terry/Pons/Teske are further down the pecking order/break glass in case of emergency.  Kyle can get 3 or 4 minutes here and there with EITHER lineup (first team/second team).  That's basically a 10 1/2 man rotation (until Dillon gets back).  Once Dillon gets back he just takes minutes/touches/shots from guys like Konchar/Kyle/ZW/Melton/Tillie.

Call me crazy but for right now I am going with the coach's opinion on lineups that got the team into 4th place in the Western Conference and on a nine game winning streak. I am going with the Front Office's actions after building the team (despite heavy criticism on the boards) that is in fourth place in the conference and winning 9 straight games. 

I think they have earned our respect not our second guessing. 

23 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Call me crazy but for right now I am going with the coach's opinion on lineups that got the team into 4th place in the Western Conference and on a nine game winning streak. I am going with the Front Office's actions after building the team (despite heavy criticism on the boards) that is in fourth place in the conference and winning 9 straight games. 

Starting coach?  Backup coach?  AND, is the FO playing with all their first stringers???

2 hours ago, KyleB said:

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don't deny that there is a limited number of games to draw a conclusion from but that doesn't make any conclusion drawn from a small number of examples valid. Jaren has played a large number of minutes at center this season while Adams was out so the excuse that he never got a chance for rebounds isn't valid either. 

the only bad rebounding lineups is when neither jjj/adams are on the court

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Ja/Jaren should be 1/1a.  Obviously, slightly different skill sets but Ja/Jaren could be the new version of Kobe/Shaq.  Not the GREATEST fit, but two awesome players.  And, you take a 3 peat (with a 4th Finals appearance) ANY day.

Ja should have to defer to Jaren just as much as Jaren defers to Ja.

It's on the FO/coaching to optimize the Ja/Jaren fit -- but it's on the players too.

If Adams starting at the 5 is best for the TEAM, that's what should happen.  If BC/Jaren (with Adams as the backup big man) is best for the team then we should do that.

Right now, for balance, I would go for a Ja/Konchar/Bane/BC/Jaren starting five.  Ja/Konchar/Bane was an effective perimeter trio before Konchar missed a few games.  BC/Jaren looks great.  Mix of scoring, shooting, athleticism and solid role play.  

Second team of Tyus/Melton back court (obvious answer with Dillon out) then maybe more length/shooting at forward with ZW/Tillie and Adams as the backup center.  Use Slo Mo as either the nominal 6th man or "deep bench depth".  Tillman/Aldama/Culver/Terry/Pons/Teske are further down the pecking order/break glass in case of emergency.  Kyle can get 3 or 4 minutes here and there with EITHER lineup (first team/second team).  That's basically a 10 1/2 man rotation (until Dillon gets back).  Once Dillon gets back he just takes minutes/touches/shots from guys like Konchar/Kyle/ZW/Melton/Tillie.

I think the most accurate comparison for Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren would be Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG.  No comparison could be perfect, but to  me, that fits the most.

11 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

I think the most accurate comparison for Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren would be Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG.  No comparison could be perfect, but to  me, that fits the most.

That's not a bad comparison.

Those Celtics teams seemed pretty deep, too.  

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Cool.  Going with FO opinion and Coach's opinion on anything and everything.  While you are committing to only boring takes from here on out the rest of us would like to use our minds and imaginations to try and at least understand and maybe have an informed, critical opinion about (where appropriate) the FO and coaching staff's reasoning for doing what they do by imagining and debating the merits/demerits of several possible courses of action.

38 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

That's not a bad comparison.

Those Celtics teams seemed pretty deep, too.  

My overall favorite championship team was the most recent Pistons.  I like their team dynamic better than the Superstar(s) taking over the game to be a one or two on five.  Now, I believe Ja is a Superstar, but one that plays well in a team dynamic.  Kobe, Lebron, or Michael had to be the top scorer every night and those teams lived and died by their performances.  Now, I know those teams had some good and solid players too, and the Bulls had a good team dynamic too, but you knew who the top scorer was going to be.  We know Ja can score a lot, but on a given night, Jaren, or Dillon, or Bane could be the high scorer.  I like having that flexibility.  You got the same with that Celtics team or Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun/Rasheed/Big Ben.  It's not that I don't think Ja could be a Jordan or Kobe, I just hope he doesn't have to be for us to win a championship.  

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/1/22757010/jaren-jackson-jr-grizzlies-ja-morant-development

"the Grizzlies have been living and dying based on whether Jackson is in. They go from a net rating of plus-7 in 164 minutes with him to minus-19.7 in 129 minutes without him."

"Playing with Jackson gives Morant more room to attack the basket and easier passes to make. Per NBA Advanced Stats, his true shooting percentage jumps by 6.8 points and his ratio of assists to turnovers is almost twice as high."

29 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Cool.  Going with FO opinion and Coach's opinion on anything and everything.  While you are committing to only boring takes from here on out the rest of us would like to use our minds and imaginations to try and at least understand and maybe have an informed, critical opinion about (where appropriate) the FO and coaching staff's reasoning for doing what they do by imagining and debating the merits/demerits of several possible courses of action.

You consider these ideas using your minds and imaginations to understand what the front office is doing? 

I can tell you what the FO is doing. They are scouting college and international players for the abundance of picks we have coming in the next draft, fielding phone calls daily from other GMs looking to make a deal and trying to find ones that make sense but mostly laughing their offers off and they are pitching ideas to other teams that are being laughed at mostly but sifted for something interesting just the same. 

I sincerely doubt they are interested in doing anything to mess up the team chemistry right now so they are basically saying no to offers and if they happen to venture over here laughing their heads off at some of your ideas. 

11 minutes ago, KyleB said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/1/22757010/jaren-jackson-jr-grizzlies-ja-morant-development

"the Grizzlies have been living and dying based on whether Jackson is in. They go from a net rating of plus-7 in 164 minutes with him to minus-19.7 in 129 minutes without him."

"Playing with Jackson gives Morant more room to attack the basket and easier passes to make. Per NBA Advanced Stats, his true shooting percentage jumps by 6.8 points and his ratio of assists to turnovers is almost twice as high."

#VoteJarenToo

... 3J has been playing great.  He's been the one constant all season for us.

Like to see how some of the #advancedstats are backing up the good ole 'eye test.'

... how does his Net Rating compare to other big men around the league?  I feel like he has a Gobert/Jokic type impact (in terms of ON/OFF).  Although I could be wrong.

... back to some of the other questions in this thread:  go with Ja/Jaren then fill in the starting five with players with favorable matchups/on hot streaks.  Then Bane at the 2 (or the 3).  Balance out the other 2 starting spots -- but keep a well-balanced bench rotation.

35 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

#VoteJarenToo

... 3J has been playing great.  He's been the one constant all season for us.

Like to see how some of the #advancedstats are backing up the good ole 'eye test.'

... how does his Net Rating compare to other big men around the league?  I feel like he has a Gobert/Jokic type impact (in terms of ON/OFF).  Although I could be wrong.

... back to some of the other questions in this thread:  go with Ja/Jaren then fill in the starting five with players with favorable matchups/on hot streaks.  Then Bane at the 2 (or the 3).  Balance out the other 2 starting spots -- but keep a well-balanced bench rotation.

The article was written when he was playing poorly, a good portion of it is critical of him and points out areas where he needs improvement and a lot of it is still true. But it also points out that he is still very young and big men take longer to develop which is also true. He is like a year younger than Ja even though he has been in the NBA a year longer. And I think because of the injuries Ja has probably had more development time despite one less year as a pro. But JJJ's impact now may be even better since he has been playing reasonably well lately.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

The article was written when he was playing poorly, a good portion of it is critical of him and points out areas where he needs improvement. His impact now may be even better.

But has he improved?