GF#1

Grizzlies and Jaren Jackson agree on 4 year 105 million extension

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

“The New Deal” would be a cool nickname for Jaren.

That's a lot better than a "Eleanor's husband, the President, couldn't use his legs because of Polio reference."

(Too dark, I guess, and too far back.)

JJJ looks so good right now

22 hours ago, memphis slim said:

jjj gets intimidated by ja. no other reason that can explain it. it isn’t the pace or anything else. ja can play with anyone. jjj is going to have to keep maturing and find his place/get comfortable. there’s no reason why he can’t be the same jjj we saw in lac out there alongside ja. 

slim. 

brings a lot of joy to me when the big young fella corrects me. heck of a team boys. we have a heck of a team on our hands. 

slim. 

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

brings a lot of joy to me when the big young fella corrects me. heck of a team boys. we have a heck of a team on our hands. 

slim. 

I know it wasnt the case. But the problemn remain that they dont have a A+ game together. I think coach has to figure out ways to make the work together and also choose better the rotations.

8 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

So far in Jaren's 2 starts at center this year he has averaged 23.5 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 apg, 2 spg, and 5.5 bpg. 

So basically Jenkins has been holding him back from being an AllStar this season LOL.  Those are phenomenal numbers. Unfortunately, in both games Ja was either out or underperformed.   Coaching Staff gotta figure out how to unlock them both.  

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

So basically Jenkins has been holding him back from being an AllStar this season LOL.  Those are phenomenal numbers. Unfortunately, in both games Ja was either out or underperformed.   Coaching Staff gotta figure out how to unlock them both.  

Clearly Jaren is a legit center. The rebounding concerns pretty much go away when he's actually forced to be down there. I think his biggest attribute as a center is the fact that it puts his shot blocking abilities on full display. He's looked like he should be on the short list for DPOY the last couple games. 

36 minutes ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

Could we see Adams move to backup Center next year?

I think so, I know myself and others thought that might be the case this year but that's hasn't manifested itself yet. 

To me, I would prefer Adams just get the ceremonial start and then stagger their minutes after that first run. One of them should be on the court at all times at center barring foul trouble. 

Another thing that does for us is unlock Brandon when he plays with Jaren. He's been fantastic as well. It's kind of hard to find someone that hasn't been playing well as of late for us to be fair. 

6 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

One of them should be on the court at all times at center barring foul trouble. 

Big Facts!    Tillman should be 3rd string and BC should never play the 5.   

26 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Crazy how those rebounds just fall into his hands when he plays center. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the way he is used, just like it doesn't when he gets 5 rebounds a game playing mostly on the perimeter.

58 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Crazy how those rebounds just fall into his hands when he plays center. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the way he is used, just like it doesn't when he gets 5 rebounds a game playing mostly on the perimeter.

Total coincidence and completely unrelated.   We all know Jaren should be flying in from the perimeter and snatching boards from Adams in the paint.   There really is no excuse for him to not be a double double machine no matter where he is on the court. 

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Total coincidence and completely unrelated.   We all know Jaren should be flying in from the perimeter and snatching boards from Adams in the paint.   There really is no excuse for him to not be a double double machine no matter where he is on the court. 

How do you explain that the Grizzlies are last in the league in rebounding when Adams isn't on the court? Do you think JJJ's big rebounding night had something to do with playing center against a 6-9, 38 year old? 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

How do you explain that the Grizzlies are last in the league in rebounding when Adams isn't on the court? 

How do you explain us averaging 52 rpg (above our average) without Adams?

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

How do you explain us averaging 52 rpg (above our average) without Adams?

Are you referring to the last game or the last couple of games? I was referring to the 41 games played this season. 

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Are you referring to the last game or the last couple of games? I was referring to the 41 games played this season. 

The last two games, the ones without Adams. The ones where we matched or exceeded or rebounding average in which we had Adams and won the rebounding battle in both games. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

The last two games, the ones without Adams. The ones where we matched or exceeded or rebounding average in which we had Adams and won the rebounding battle in both games. 

Why don't we consider the larger number when making statement then? There is such a thing called the law of large numbers that shows that small groups of numbers can lead to dramatically wrong conclusions. You are looking at two games, one of which the opponent played a small forward at center and trying to disprove the entire season's statistics. 

Now as the subset grows with Adams being out, we should be able to make grander statements about the team's rebounding without Adams but currently to use the last two games to overrule the seasonal averages doesn't make a lot of sense. 

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

The game were we allowed an undersized geriatric playing at the 5 to get 6 O boards? 

I can't be bothered looking it up because a 2 game sample means nothing, but how did our rebounding % compare with the rest of the season? Counting total rebounds doesn't mean anything.

Just now, MisterT said:

The game were we allowed an undersized geriatric playing at the 5 to get 6 O boards? 

I can't be bothered looking it up because a 2 game sample means nothing, but how did our rebounding % compare with the rest of the season? Counting total rebounds doesn't mean anything.

While I agree with your premise, I have no idea how to find out the answer to your question. 

5 minutes ago, MisterT said:

Well I can be bothered. Our TRB% for the year is 53.07% compared to the 53.3% against the Clippers, 53.9% against the Lakers (which would've been way higher if not for that 4th quarter, we were up like 15-17 boards on them at one point). Either way, better than our season average. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Why don't we consider the larger number when making statement then? There is such a thing called the law of large numbers that shows that small groups of numbers can lead to dramatically wrong conclusions. You are looking at two games, one of which the opponent played a small forward at center and trying to disprove the entire season's statistics. 

Now as the subset grows with Adams being out, we should be able to make grander statements about the team's rebounding without Adams but currently to use the last two games to overrule the seasonal averages doesn't make a lot of sense. 

I'm sure you wouldn't draw any conclusions if Jaren wasn't rebounding well. That wouldn't fit your narrative at all. That team that starts a SF at center is still 12th in rebounding, so certainly not bottom feaders. 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

While I agree with your premise, I have no idea how to find out the answer to your question. 

I know how to find it, but I was making 2 points;

1) total rebounds don't mean much (maybe they just missed a lot of shots)

2) a 2 game sample size against undermanned teams doesn't mean anything (how would we have gone with AD on the court at 5 instead of LBJ last night)

I'm actually a massive JJJ fan, and think his rebounding has been criticised far too much on here given the role he has been asked to play this season, but looking at 2 games doesn't mean anything (good or bad) about his impact.  

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm sure you wouldn't draw any conclusions if Jaren wasn't rebounding well. That wouldn't fit your narrative at all. That team that starts a SF at center is still 12th in rebounding, so certainly not bottom feaders. 

Once again, the law of large numbers applies to the Lakers as well. How many games has LeBron started at center compared to the games Howard, Jordan or Davis started? You are trying to make big conclusions with relatively small sets of numbers. That is usually a bad idea but not 100% of the time. 

I hope you are correct and this small set of examples becomes a larger and more representative situation. That would make me happy. However, until you have a larger set of examples it is best not to make too many big statements. 

13 minutes ago, MisterT said:

I know how to find it, but I was making 2 points;

1) total rebounds don't mean much (maybe they just missed a lot of shots)

2) a 2 game sample size against undermanned teams doesn't mean anything (how would we have gone with AD on the court at 5 instead of LBJ last night)

I'm actually a massive JJJ fan, and think his rebounding has been criticised far too much on here given the role he has been asked to play this season, but looking at 2 games doesn't mean anything (good or bad) about his impact.  

I'm glad someone understands the concept of the Law of Large Numbers. 

I hope you are right - and I am wrong - about Jaren's rebounding too. I got so thrilled when he had that big game earlier against Denver only to gradually lose that momentum over the next few games. I would clarify that the criticism of Jaren's rebounding has been going on for years not just this season. 

8 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well I can be bothered. Our TRB% for the year is 53.07% compared to the 53.3% against the Clippers, 53.9% against the Lakers (which would've been way higher if not for that 4th quarter, we were up like 15-17 boards on them at one point). Either way, better than our season average. 

That's great that we rebounded well. The team has been a pleasant surprise how well they have responded to losing key pieces at various times.

Not a knock on JJJ, but I still think we need Adams rebounding. He is one of the very best in the league at both ends. The impact of the second chance points he brings every game with his offensive rebounding is undervalued on here I think. And that on/off stat on the team defensive rebounding is surprising, not because they are better with him on the floor (that's been the case all his career) but how big the gap is.

Adams is the best rebounder in the games especially on offense.

Jaren is becoming one of the best mobi

Is just good to have the two options.

19 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Once again, the law of large numbers applies to the Lakers as well. How many games has LeBron started at center compared to the games Howard, Jordan or Davis started? You are trying to make big conclusions with relatively small sets of numbers. That is usually a bad idea but not 100% of the time. 

I hope you are correct and this small set of examples becomes a larger and more representative situation. That would make me happy. However, until you have a larger set of examples it is best not to make too many big statements. 

Amazing that the guy, RDK, wants to accuse Chip of advancing a narrative, when the guy, RDK, is trying to extrapolate a rebounding example out of two games against the 28th ranked Rebounds Allowed team, the Clippers, and the 27th ranked Rebounds Allowed team, the Lakers.  https://www.lineups.com/nba/team-rankings/defense When Chip is using the whole season to date. 

Add in the Clips were without Paul George and the Lakers were without their best rebounder, Anthony Davis, and the advantage becomes more obvious. It would have been a huge upset if we didn't outrebound these two old, poor rebounding lineups.