memphis slim

all about ja

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I feel you bro... a part of me hears that and thinks 'oh wow, it feels so good to get positive vibes from the national media for once'... but another part of me is like....'mf'ers, I've been at this since Shane Battier and Mike Miller graced the court and y'all didn't give a SH1T about us then or ever...until now... what, you a-holes just saw somebody that could give you highlights and all of a sudden you're "grizzlies fans?"  Nah fam..."

1 hour ago, Subliminal said:

Preach. It’s cool to hear people who actually follow the nba and know what they’re talking about give props but when Shannon Sharpe talking this “I actually watched the whole game!” nonsense it makes me queasy 

My cynical conspiracist view is this all could be a plot to derail us by hoping the guys get swelled heads and being lulled into a false sense of security.

Heads down, tails up, still got some ways to go. I'm sure the coaching staff is drumming this into their psyche

Skip and Shannon have had their last what? 15 shows about how bad Russel Westbrook is meshing w/ the 9th placed Lakers, while at the same time singing the praises of LeBron James while at the same time kinda blaming him sort of for getting Westbrook there is the first place. The entire summer we had to listen to the 'big three superteams' Lakers and Nets and bla. Sure great teams, great basketball players, but are the games that good? The Nets is all 1 on 1. The Lakers have LeBron playing point guard and center. The Memphis Grizzlies play more exciting, more interesting basketball. Lots of points in the paint, take it to the rim, lots of offensive rebouds, blocks, steals, these kids hussle. Who cares about what Skip and Shannon say. The Lakers lost to the Kings, so tomorrow's (I am in Europe, Amsterdam Netherlands) Skip And Shannon are gonna debate the Lakers loss. 

5 hours ago, RvL said:

Let me, the 'rookie' throw in my 2 cents. Americans, are generally spoiled. NBA was not watchable in Europe. Never was. We had to get US citizens, basketball fans to record games, send us the tapes. Later, late 1980s, we had to approach rich people who had a 'satellite dish' (whereby they can grab games out of the air). Even as Jordan and the Bulls were winning 2 championships, NBA was still really expensive pay-per-view and some posh hotels had their own satellite dish. This is ALL of EU. Then we get Barcelona, 1992, Dream Team Olympics and the NBA realizes: wait a minute, we are missing out on millions of eyeballs. So NBA goes EU, goes global, but pay-per-view, so the companies pick the games, so that means, Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, just the top players, the top teams. They get more ad revenue, more exposure, more jersey/apparel sales etc. 

I now 'buy' each game separately. I buy access. So I wake up early, check the scores, who played whom, find a good team or a good game, and pick that one. You want to get yr money's worth and you want to watch the best, most exciting basketball. So overtime games, or buzzer beater games, or games w/ superstars etc. It's really because of word of mouth, fan sites (like this one) and studying stats that I got interested in the Memphis Grizzlies. When one looks at the regular sports press, EU, which covers basketball, they will cover the Lakers and the Golden State Warriors and the Nets. Curry, Le Bron and KD. It's what sells shirs, it's what they think the broader audience wants. I can get videos, snippets, game reports from those teams to my phone from regular EU channels. The Grizzlies are barely featured. 

I digged a bit into the stats, browsed some highlight videos and decided to check Memphis out ... Since then, I've been hooked.

So now I am kind of backtracking and learning more online about this franchise, their history etc.

This is awesome! Welcome.  I hope you can make a future trip to Memphis and see the Grizzlies live in person.  Impressed you're delving into franchise history too.  The city of Memphis has quite a bit of history and culture too, and if that that interests you, should look into it.  

6 hours ago, RvL said:

Amazing game. Ja Morant is a superb player. Beating the Golden State Warriors. I am based in Amsterdam, Netherlands, so I don't have a geographical preference. I need to be selective about watching NBA, also because of the timezone difference. (It all happens at night, 2am EU time). I've never really followed Memphis basketball, but I've become a true believer. This Memphis Grizzlies team is young, vibrant, hungry and they play with enthusiasm, even exuberance. It's some of the most exciting basketball I've seen in a long time. I am really rooting for this team. I try to watch/follow all their games, home and away. They were terrific against the Lakers just a few days ago, but they were amazing against Golden State.

Welkom! Hoe gaat het?

Sorry, that's as far as my Dutch goes these days. I lived two years in Antwerpen more than 20 years ago and the little I learned is a bit rusty by now. 😉

If you're watching most Grizzlies games I'd advise you to check International League Pass. The season pass is something like 120€ (I think there's a cheaper option just for one team) and you get access to all games, live and recorded. Plus you can always get the local announcers who are leaps and bounds better than most.

I'm in Madrid, by the way, so I share your issues with the game times. I just have given up sleep...

8 hours ago, russian grizzly said:

Are there lots of people who still give a sh.it about Lebron or Westbrook? Those old farts are done in case anyone failed to notice. 

According to Hoopshype, Lakers are looking to offload Westbrook but there are no takers.

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

According to Hoopshype, Lakers are looking to offload Westbrook but there are no takers.

LeBron James is the worst GM in the NBA.  He could have had like 8 championships if his teams had been properly managed.

5 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

LeBron James is the worst GM in the NBA.  He could have had like 8 championships if his teams had been properly managed.

Also looking to move DeA Jordan, DW12, and Bazemore but want pretty much everyone available Tent Jr, Myles Turner, Jeremi Grant :lol:

Give it an hour, Dame will be on the list :lol:

Their media trying to drum up business because they are in big trouble

17 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Some media has been asking for more nationally televised Grizz games

They are.

And I am thrilled!

Bring them to the dark and take them on a tour !

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Also looking to move DeA Jordan, DW12, and Bazemore but want pretty much everyone available Tent Jr, Myles Turner, Jeremi Grant :lol:

Give it an hour, Dame will be on the list :lol:

Their media trying to drum up business because they are in big trouble

They have very little assets,  I mean as good as AD is, what good is he if he rarely plays? LBJ is amazing but he's 37 and they're not trading him. Nobody wants Westbrook,  everyone else is just not gonna be substantial moves. The only thing of value they have is future draft picks but they'd be stupid to further diminish their future than it already is. 

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

Perkins is our # 1 fan

It's funny when some posters act like ESPN doesn't like us. We get more love than Utah and the Bucks combined, and the Bucks won it all last year. 

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

It's funny when some posters act like ESPN doesn't like us. We get more love than Utah and the Bucks combined, and the Bucks won it all last year. 

Small markets with an exciting team that is winning and adding new fans game by game …

ESPN / TNT care about viewership. We look like money now.

6 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Perkins is our # 1 fan

He almost played for Memphis, twice!

Committed to University of Memphis, but instead, went straight from HS to the draft, in which he was drafted by Memphis, but immediately traded with Marcus Banks to the Celtics for Troy Bell and Dahntay Jones.

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Small markets with an exciting team that is winning and adding new fans game by game …

ESPN cares about viewership. We look like money now.

I guess. Viewership during a long regular season doesn't really matter that much. NBA's Disney deal runs through the '25 season already. NBA's TV numbers are very small relative to football. ESPN/ABC and TNT care most about the playoffs.

My point is more about the commentary side. I don't really care if they talk about us or not, but a lot of people seem to care. And I can hardly listen to an ESPN NBA pod that doesn't mention us. Even in the Core 4 years, we always got attention. 

40 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I guess. Viewership during a long regular season doesn't really matter that much. NBA's Disney deal runs through the '25 season already. NBA's TV numbers are very small relative to football. ESPN/ABC and TNT care most about the playoffs.

My point is more about the commentary side. I don't really care if they talk about us or not, but a lot of people seem to care. And I can hardly listen to an ESPN NBA pod that doesn't mention us. Even in the Core 4 years, we always got attention. 

I get it.

I remember all of the times we beat better media darling teams and the next day the headlines were slick shading us… titles like “the (big team here) lost or dropped one to the grizzlies” - not the grizzlies BEAT (that big team).

I know it shouldn’t really matter … but to me, it does.

As a Memphian, I always look for any positive news reporting on this city… always have.

There is so much wrong in this place - everyone hears this…

BUT - there is so much right and good going on here too. 

This is why we love this team. Ja is built like we are. Nobody gave him this - he goes to work with a collection of players whose names only we - Grizz fans really know…(for now anyway… soon their names will hold a little weight too).

these guys fight like they know we won’t be given anything. Not even the benefit of the doubt.

So what do Dillon’s guys do ?

Only go out there every game with whomever is available and remove all doubt.

Said all of that to say - I love seeing national media reporting on the Grizz.