ReDraft the 2018 Big Men

Pick an order today of the 6 big men lottery picks from the 2018:
DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson
Mo Bamba
Wendell Carter Jr
Michael Porter Jr

Kind of interesting to look back at what was considered a can't miss draft at the time. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson
Mo Bamba
Wendell Carter Jr
Michael Porter Jr

Kind of interesting to look back at what was considered a can't miss draft at the time. 

I think Porter still more of a combo forward, so right now is...

Ayton 

Jaren

Bagley

Carter

Bamba

28 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson
Mo Bamba
Wendell Carter Jr
Michael Porter Jr

Ayton, MPJ, Jaren, Carter, Bamba, Bagley.

Also Mitchell Robinson was in that draft, taken 36th. Robinson is tied with Trae Young for 3rd in Win Shares in the '18 draft at 16.3, behind only Luka and Ayton. https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Ayton, MPJ, Jaren, Carter, Bamba, Bagley.

Also Mitchell Robinson was in that draft, taken 36th. Robinson is tied with Trae Young for 3rd in Win Shares in the '18 draft at 16.3, behind only Luka and Ayton. https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

That's true but I didn't want to bring in all the bigs taken in the draft. If we redrafted the entire draft Robinson would be much higher. 

If I  am not mistaken Robinson was much higher in Alt Grind's final draft thread for that year too. 

41 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

That's true but I didn't want to bring in all the bigs taken in the draft. If we redrafted the entire draft Robinson would be much higher. 

If I  am not mistaken Robinson was much higher in Alt Grind's final draft thread for that year too. 

Gotcha.

Just for ****s and giggles, Robert Williams is the only other big that really made it.  Taken 27th by the Celtics, 8.5 Win Shares.

38 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Gotcha.

Just for ****s and giggles, Robert Williams is the only other big that really made it.  Taken 27th by the Celtics, 8.5 Win Shares.

I can't remember if Alt Grind had Williams or Robinson ranked in his top 10 but it was one of them. I remembered saying I need to remember that he said that if it came back accurate. Either one could justify a top 10 pick really looking back. I think it was the Celtics big man but I can't remember

42 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I can't remember if Alt Grind had Williams or Robinson ranked in his top 10 but it was one of them. I remembered saying I need to remember that he said that if it came back accurate. Either one could justify a top 10 pick really looking back. I think it was the Celtics big man but I can't remember

I had Mitch Rob at 1.  I had Robert Williams III in the 12 to 18 range I think.  

P.S.  back to the redraft thingie... Ayton is probably worth max-ish money.  You have to overpay bigs, just depends how much.  Jaren is good too.  Is he worth a bit more than Ayton or a bit less?  Either way, good luck drafting a big man as good as either — you gotta burn a top 5 pick in a good draft.  Big men are back.  Ironically they seem to be LOWER usage but MORE important.

After those then get Mitch Rob or Robert Williams — the others are glorified scrap heap players.  Maybe Wendell can defend and hit 3’s now... I don’t know.

probably a salary ceiling on relatively low usage players (Mitch/Williams III) so that could benefit Jaren and Ayton types cuz they can score some. 

Not just bigs but other “role players”.  Probably a relatively lower ceiling on ideal wing/perimeter role players like Donte Inferno (third on my big board that year) as well as Mikal Bridges (fifth or maybe fourth although I think I had Sexton higher).  So post-rookie contract they will be overpaid.

In this league you NEED four players but can only PAY 3.  Yikes!  

Potentially undervalued bigs with some mobility/athleticism/length: Ray Spalding who I had at 11 (I think) and (so far) mega-bust/mega obscure Kostas Freak who I had at 2:  should be an ideal defensive 5ish who has length, solid mobility and can block shots (he can also dunk).  

That draft’s top players are hugely high usage (and projected that way at the time) and aren’t entirely super efficient (and projected that way at the time): Luka, Trae and even Sexton as well as Michael Porter jr. (I had him lower than most of the top guys and he still might be “fools gold”). 

I had Jaren mega-low.  Didn’t see outstanding athleticism or movement. Wonky shot.  On my last board I switched him out with Ray Spalding as the John Salley type.  Although if Jaren is just John Salley with volume 3 point shooting and a better low post game then he is worth getting paid.  Is he worth getting PAID??? Guess we will find out!

Image result for what? gif

So how do you rank the lottery bigs again??? 

17 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I think Porter still more of a combo forward, so right now is...

Ayton 

Jaren

Bagley

Carter

Bamba

I would move Carter above Bagley. 

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Fair, I choosed Bagley because I believe he would he a different player in other team.

If I was drafting now from Chip's original list:  Ayton, MJP, Jaren, Bagley, Carter, Bamba.

Of course, none are superstars yet.  The only one I'm not disappointed in is MJP - I was real worried about his health/career in 2018.

I would have Ayton then Jaren.

Drop down to WCJ.

Bigger drop down to Bamba then Bagley although they are kinda tied.

Mitch Rob (and RWIII) offered more value on draft night than at least a couple of those "lotto bigs" and probably still do.

MPJ seems like a brittle chucker -- kinda the guy he was on draft night (and was projected to be).  He might be fools' gold.

What other bigs were in that draft?  I am probably still on Kostas Freak Island.  Can't believe he can't be a halfway decent backup center.  Same with Ray Spalding.  Jared Vanderbilt is a guy I liked during the draft, he is still solid but he does have an injury history.  ... Wenyen Gabriel is probably a bit lower than Vanderbilt (in terms of real production) with lower CEILINGS than the more 5ish types.  Although if a team went FULL MONEYBALL with big men, those are 4 solid big men prospects/productive assets that a team can get on the cheap.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, chipc3 said:

Robinson is going to explode this year. Definitely was taken way to low. 

15 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Fair, I choosed Bagley because I believe he would he a different player in other team.

I could see that as well. Kings are just a hole sometimes. Fox looks like a stud. Wonder if he will want to leave at some point if they dont start winning 

On 10/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, ALT GRIND said:

I’m confused too!   

You novella you wrote didn't answer the simple question. How would you rank the lottery bigs from the 2018 draft. 

1) Ayton
2) Porter
3) Jackson
4) Carter
5) Bagley
6) Bamba 

If anyone remembers I was pounding the table saying the Grizzlies, one of the worst teams in the league that season, should have taken Porter despite the bad back and rest him for the year so they could get another high draft pick.

The Grizzlies got lucky instead and moved up to 2nd in the lottery and got Ja Morant anyway. 

33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You novella you wrote didn't answer the simple question. How would you rank the lottery bigs from the 2018 draft. 

1) Ayton
2) Porter
3) Jackson
4) Carter
5) Bagley
6) Bamba 

If anyone remembers I was pounding the table saying the Grizzlies, one of the worst teams in the league that season, should have taken Porter despite the bad back and rest him for the year so they could get another high draft pick.

The Grizzlies got lucky instead and moved up to 2nd in the lottery and got Ja Morant anyway. 

There were rumors that the Clippers were looking to trade #s 12 and 13 for #4 right? Interesting to play the what if game of how this team would look if you swapped out JJJ for someone like Miles Bridges or DDV + MPJ (though of course, who knows if we get Ja in that scenario then).

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

1) Ayton
2) Porter
3) Jackson
4) Carter
5) Bagley
6) Bamba 

I answered the question in another thread -- forgot about this one.

1. Ayton

2. Jaren

3. Carter?

4. MPJ -- brittle, stiff shot jacker: overrated, overpaid?  Fool's gold.

5. Bamba

6. The Bag Man 

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

There were rumors that the Clippers were looking to trade #s 12 and 13 for #4 right? Interesting to play the what if game of how this team would look if you swapped out JJJ for someone like Miles Bridges or DDV + MPJ (though of course, who knows if we get Ja in that scenario then).

That Clips trade would have been interesting!  Yeah -- who knows.

Lots of talent in that draft but it seems like a steep drop off from Luka/Trae.  Some of the higher level role players don't have a high enough usage -- so at that point teams should have drafted/redrafted Ayton or Jaren.  After that maybe MPJ if you already have a lead guard and a big man that can hold down the fort.  

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

1) Ayton
2) Porter
3) Jackson
4) Carter
5) Bagley
6) Bamba 

I remember but Chip there was no way the FO was going to take that risk on the back of the Chancun fiasco. No way.

Also there was stories (maybe it was media BS) that Porter might never recover to 100%. Almost half the teams thought so too because he dropped in the draft (14th?)

im still taking Jare Bear . Im gonna die on the hill with the belief he will be a top 10 player eventually. He just has to be able to stay on the floor

On 10/7/2021 at 7:20 AM, grizzgolf said:

Agreed, HOWEVER, if the Grizzlies were going to take a Jarret Culver/Josh Jackson flyer on any of those 3 (Bamba, Carter, Bagley), I'd want it to be Bagley.

10 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Agreed, HOWEVER, if the Grizzlies were going to take a Jarret Culver/Josh Jackson flyer on any of those 3 (Bamba, Carter, Bagley), I'd want it to be Bagley.

while bagleys game is far from perfect, he could still be a big contributor assuming he can stay on the floor