Ole Dirty Klondike

How Can This Team Get Better and Who is Good Enough to Trade For?

On 11/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, Lugan Village said:

Untradeable unless raptors and him start feuding again, but I think that is behind them now.  If u look at my posts from past, Anunoby is the profile and guy the grizz should have gone after 2 years ago…. Raptors miss huge the type of player jv is, they have nobody in that spot and will not advance unless they address it

He’s hurt too much for me Ben Simmons out of the realm of possibility? 

GTF, you always blame the coach instead of your pet players. It was Lionel Hollins fault the team didn't win more. Then it was Dave Joerger's fault (and I wish him all the luck in beating his cancer). Then it was Fizdale and Bickerstaff and now it's Jenkins. When will you see it is the players on the roster, which is the Front Office's fault not the coaching staff, that is the problem? 

Defense last year had Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson and Dillon Brooks playing major minutes. This year they have Melton, Bane and Jackson. I wonder why the defense isn't better? Do you believe Jenkins chose not to work on defense or that losing Brooks and Anderson from the starting lineup had a larger impact?

I believe Jackson, Bane and Melton paired with Ja and Adams is a weaker defensive unit and they also need time to learn how to play together. This isn't fantasy basketball after all. Team defense needs to be developed over time. You need players experienced on how to play at this level. 

I will admit the coach ultimately will pay the price if things don't turn around quickly but it isn't the coach's fault. This team was flawed with all the shakeups this year Dillon's injury. The most experienced player with the Grizzlies started the season injured which didn't help either. That was the Front Office's problem not the coaching staffs. 

29 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

GTF, you always blame the coach instead of your pet players. It was Lionel Hollins fault the team didn't win more. Then it was Dave Joerger's fault (and I wish him all the luck in beating his cancer). Then it was Fizdale and Bickerstaff and now it's Jenkins. When will you see it is the players on the roster, which is the Front Office's fault not the coaching staff, that is the problem? 

Defense last year had Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson and Dillon Brooks playing major minutes. This year they have Melton, Bane and Jackson. I wonder why the defense isn't better? Do you believe Jenkins chose not to work on defense or that losing Brooks and Anderson from the starting lineup had a larger impact?

I believe Jackson, Bane and Melton paired with Ja and Adams is a weaker defensive unit and they also need time to learn how to play together. This isn't fantasy basketball after all. Team defense needs to be developed over time. You need players experienced on how to play at this level. 

I will admit the coach ultimately will pay the price if things don't turn around quickly but it isn't the coach's fault. This team was flawed with all the shakeups this year Dillon's injury. The most experienced player with the Grizzlies started the season injured which didn't help either. That was the Front Office's problem not the coaching staffs. 

Honestly Melton and Jaren were supposed to be defensive upgrades over Grayson and Kyle. Now it seems like those upgrades were only true on paper vs in real games but Bane over Dillon is a downgrade. I agree the coach can only do so much it’s on the players to execute. You can blame Jenkins for his rotations and lack of creativity offensively but I wouldn’t put the defense on him. Like u said this is a new group so they have to build the chemistry but the players have a part as well.

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Are any of those Coaches still coaching the Grizzlies? (prayers up for Joerger)   Well it seems like im not the only one that holds coaches responsible for team success. 

If you think that losing Brooks and Anderson from starting lineup hurt the defense then who removed them from starting lineup and how is that Jaren's fault?     

i have been saying from the jump that bane Melt and ja is a bad defensive lineup.   FO didn't force Taylor to start them together.   Adams is also not much of a rim protector and isn't mobile enough to guard PickNRolls.    FO doesn't force Taylor to play Kyle and BC at the bigs or Konchar or Bane at PF either.   Coaches scheme isn't good and the lineups he puts out compounds that.   FO isn't forcing him to play Tyus and Ja together either.   

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Are any of those Coaches still coaching the Grizzlies? (prayers up for Joerger)   Well it seems like im not the only one that holds coaches responsible for team success. 

If you think that losing Brooks and Anderson from starting lineup hurt the defense then who removed them from starting lineup and how is that Jaren's fault?     

i have been saying from the jump that bane Melt and ja is a bad defensive lineup.   FO didn't force Taylor to start them together.   Adams is also not much of a rim protector and isn't mobile enough to guard PickNRolls.    FO doesn't force Taylor to play Kyle and BC at the bigs or Konchar or Bane at PF either.   Coaches scheme isn't good and the lineups he puts out compounds that.   FO isn't forcing him to play Tyus and Ja together either.   

Sounds like the team has a roster construction problem too many puzzle pieces that don’t fit. I guess this will be the season of trial and error till they make some moves

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jenkins can be heard in the huddles talking about the Grizz not playing defense. He even told them that he can’t play it for them. That’s up to them to do. 

Truth of the matter is defensively our front court is getting diced. Allowing players to get into the middle of the paint for the pass outs that have been allowing teams to shoot near 50% from three on us. 

Rotations agave been off defensively and players are getting lost on screens.

I believe this will get better with time but they have got to fix the penetration at the top to start with.

that’s not a Jenkins thing. That’s a player issue. 

13 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Honestly Melton and Jaren were supposed to be defensive upgrades over Grayson and Kyle. Now it seems like those upgrades were only true on paper vs in real games but Bane over Dillon is a downgrade. I agree the coach can only do so much it’s on the players to execute. You can blame Jenkins for his rotations and lack of creativity offensively but I wouldn’t put the defense on him. Like u said this is a new group so they have to build the chemistry but the players have a part as well.

Jaren has been a positive on defensive side all season.  He is only true rim protector on roster.   Kyle and Melton have regressed defensively but you cannot tell me that the lineups he plays doesn't effect the defense.  I agree DB being out hurt but Taylor doesn't maximize what he already has. 

When Dillon was out we needed a Bigger wing defender.   Instead he put Melton on Paul George and chose to give minutes to 6'5' Konchar.   Culver was sitting on the end of the bench rotting.    

NOP knew they needed a wing with size to check Ja so they went deep into their rotation and put their rookie Herb Jones on him.   TJ won't do that. 

We always complain about not having wings with size.  But every time we get one (Josh Jackson, Culver) TJ will not play them because they are weak offensively even tho its obvious their defense would benefit.    instead he would rather try to develop them into some playmaking PG (Justise, Culver) instead of just utilizing their defensive talent.  Once they fail in the PG experiment he basically banishes them from the rotation.    

In other words Tony Allen would be rotting on bench in TJ rotations; because he thinks offense is the solution to any problem. 

Nah Taylor don't get the FO didn't provide him with players excuse.  

2 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Jenkins can be heard in the huddles talking about the Grizz not playing defense. He even told them that he can’t play it for them. That’s up to them to do. 

Truth of the matter is defensively our front court is getting diced. Allowing players to get into the middle of the paint for the pass outs that have been allowing teams to shoot near 50% from three on us. 

Rotations agave been off defensively and players are getting lost on screens.

I believe this will get better with time but they have got to fix the penetration at the top to start with.

that’s not a Jenkins thing. That’s a player issue. 

no our backcourt is getting diced.  They are the one's responsible for stopping penetration - the bigs aren't guarding the wings.   ja melt and Bane are too small to play together if you want a good defense - who put them together?  Adams isn't a rim protector so they need jaren to man the middle to protect them.   Who plays Tyus + Ja together??   

NOP defense  is 30th ranked and MEM is ranked 29th.  Jonas nor Adams are defensive anchors that should stop all the debates.  

However, i still agree we need some consolidation moves to bring in a savvy veteran.    Adams probably needs the Dieng treatment and promote Tillman.   

If he has to beg them to play defense then maybe they are tuning him out.   

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren has been a positive on defensive side all season.  He is only true rim protector on roster.   Kyle and Melton have regressed defensively but you cannot tell me that the lineups he plays doesn't effect the defense.  I agree DB being out hurt but Taylor doesn't maximize what he already has. 

When Dillon was out we needed a Bigger wing defender.   Instead he put Melton on Paul George and chose to give minutes to 6'5' Konchar.   Culver was sitting on the end of the bench rotting.    

NOP knew they needed a wing with size to check Ja so they went deep into their rotation and put their rookie Herb Jones on him.   TJ won't do that. 

We always complain about not having wings with size.  But every time we get one (Josh Jackson, Culver) TJ will not play them because they are weak offensively even tho its obvious their defense would benefit.    instead he would rather try to develop them into some playmaking PG (Justise, Culver) instead of just utilizing their defensive talent.  Once they fail in the PG experiment he basically banishes them from the rotation.    

In other words Tony Allen would be rotting on bench in TJ rotations; because he thinks offense is the solution to any problem. 

Nah Taylor don't get the FO didn't provide him with players excuse.  

I see your point don’t think Culver is an answer to anything he’s only 6’6. I just don’t think the roster has enough of the right pieces. There are too many guys with similar size and similar skill sets on the roster. That whole everyone needs to be a playmaker idea ain’t working.

I think this may all come down to what works on paper vs what is actually working on the floor 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

no our backcourt is getting diced.  They are the one's responsible for stopping penetration - the bigs aren't guarding the wings.   ja melt and Bane are too small to play together if you want a good defense - who put them together?  Adams isn't a rim protector so they need jaren to man the middle to protect them.   Who plays Tyus + Ja together??   

NOP defense  is 30th ranked and MEM is ranked 29th.  Jonas nor Adams are defensive anchors that should stop all the debates.  

However, i still agree we need some consolidation moves to bring in a savvy veteran.    Adams probably needs the Dieng treatment and promote Tillman.   

If he has to beg them to play defense then maybe they are tuning him out.   

Got it backwards. Yes I meant backcourt

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Front Office's fire coaches for Front Office mistakes. Coaches get all the credit for Front Office successes. It's not a fair world. Frankly I wish owners held Front Office's more accountable for failures on the court but it is what it is. The Front Office fired Lionel Hollins after reaching the Western Conference Finals. The team has never gotten past the second round since. That's reality. 

Curiously, Lionel Hollins never equaled the success in Memphis when he coached elsewhere. I wonder why people give coaches so much credit and blame when it's the front office who get the players on the court that are the real difference makers? 

Congrats on predicting coaches will get fired for the ineptitude of the front office to put together a team that can win. I hope the Grizzlies front office realize the team's current struggles have more to do with the recent roster moves than the coaching but if they don't turn things around soon I expect the FO will punish the coach instead of themselves. 

If we are not trading anyone we need to shake up the starting lineup. 

Ja, Melton, Dillon, Kyle or Brandon, and Jaren. 

One thing we have to realize is Bane is a flat out terrible defender at this point. He has the worst defensive rating for rotation players at 117 and the worst DBPM at -3.2. He's not really quick enough to guard SGs, not really long enough to guard starting caliber SFs. That's not to say he doesn't have value, but his lack of defensive ability is cratering the starting lineups defensive ability. 

Melton is still one of our better defenders. He needs to be paired with Ja to allow Ja to take the weaker defensive matchup. Dillon needs to play SF as he's really the only one with the size and strength to guard starting caliber SFs. 

Kyle or Brandon are fairly similar defensively, but I believe Kyle makes more sense playing with Adams off the bench, as Clarke and Adams have essentially the same offensive game. Might be a scenario where Brandon starts, but Kyle plays more minutes. 

The Adams and Ja pick and roll defense isn't working. Tyus is a better defender, and hopefully you can hide Bane and Adams defensive weaknesses on a bench unit.

We have to try something, because whatever we are doing isn't working. 

37 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

One thing we have to realize is Bane is a flat out terrible defender at this point. He has the worst defensive rating for rotation players at 117 and the worst DBPM at -3.2. He's not really quick enough to guard SGs, not really long enough to guard starting caliber SFs. That's not to say he doesn't have value, but his lack of defensive ability is cratering the starting lineups defensive ability. 

Melton is still one of our better defenders. He needs to be paired with Ja to allow Ja to take the weaker defensive matchup. Dillon needs to play SF as he's really the only one with the size and strength to guard starting caliber SFs. 

Kyle or Brandon are fairly similar defensively, but I believe Kyle makes more sense playing with Adams off the bench, as Clarke and Adams have essentially the same offensive game. Might be a scenario where Brandon starts, but Kyle plays more minutes. 

The Adams and Ja pick and roll defense isn't working. Tyus is a better defender, and hopefully you can hide Bane and Adams defensive weaknesses on a bench unit.

Heck i would even be tempted to promote Tillman over Adams at backup.   At least until Adams learns the system.  He has been  horrible. 

If you think Bane is the worst defender in the starting lineup (Ja??!) then pairing him with Tyus and Ziaire on second unit will be a disaster.  But i get what you are saying. 

I really wish we could have gotten some Culver minutes instead of all those Konchar minutes.   I think a really big key to our defensive woes is lack of wing size.  I dont care that he isn't an offensive dynamo just use him as designated defender.   Dont give me the he can't shoot crap cuz apparently the entire team can't.  Tell dude if he wants to stay in the league he better become a lockdown defender then give him a shot. 

If the defense improves with him on court then it will show the FO that we need to flip some of these lil dudes for bigger wings to succeed. 

Just for those who love to twist ppls' words.  I am not saying Culver is a good player or should be resigned.  All i am saying is that Culver is 6'7' athletic wing that can stay with his man on defense.  That is a useful skill right now. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Heck i would even be tempted to promote Tillman over Adams at backup.   At least until Adams learns the system.  He has been  horrible. 

If you think Bane is the worst defender in the starting lineup (Ja??!) then pairing him with Tyus and Ziaire on second unit will be a disaster.  But i get what you are saying. 

I really wish we could have gotten some Culver minutes instead of all those Konchar minutes.   I think a really big key to our defensive woes is lack of wing size.  I dont care that he isn't an offensive dynamo just use him as designated defender.   Dont give me the he can't shoot crap cuz apparently the entire team can't.  Tell dude if he wants to stay in the league he better become a lockdown defender then give him a shot. 

If the defense improves with him on court then it will show the FO that we need to flip some of these lil dudes for bigger wings to succeed. 

Just for those who love to twist ppls' words.  I am not saying Culver is a good player or should be resigned.  All i am saying is that Culver is 6'7' athletic wing that can stay with his man on defense.  That is a useful skill right now. 

I even thought about the Tillman over Adams, because Tillman one strength this year has been defense. Bane somehow grades way worse than Ja. Desmond's DBPM and Defensive rating (BBall Reference) are worse, but I get the sentiment. Ja doesn't even try a lot of the time it seems, Bane at least gives good effort. Even if it is in Bane's favor, it's not close to the margin it needs to be. That second unit would have the benefit of playing against weaker competition. I think Bane's fall from a defensive perspective is largely because he was able to guard bench players almost all last year. If you remember, he was pretty awful as a starter last year. That move could easily help his offense as well. He shot 14% better from 3 last year coming off the bench as compared to starting. 

I'm all for giving some minutes to Culver. We got him for a reason I presume, might as well give him a shot. I remember Melton's first year he barely played at all the first 20 games. Marko Guduric was playing ahead of him. Once they pulled the plug on him and gave Melton a shot, he came in and gave us a big spark. Culver could just as easily do they same thing instead of Konchar. I'm not even a Konchar hater by any stretch, I like him pretty well, but the thought process is the same. 

2 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I even thought about the Tillman over Adams, because Tillman one strength this year has been defense. Bane somehow grades way worse than Ja. Desmond's DBPM and Defensive rating (BBall Reference) are worse, but I get the sentiment. Ja doesn't even try a lot of the time it seems, Bane at least gives good effort. Even if it is in Bane's favor, it's not close to the margin it needs to be. That second unit would have the benefit of playing against weaker competition. I think Bane's fall from a defensive perspective is largely because he was able to guard bench players almost all last year. If you remember, he was pretty awful as a starter last year. That move could easily help his offense as well. He shot 14% better from 3 last year coming off the bench as compared to starting. 

I'm all for giving some minutes to Culver. We got him for a reason I presume, might as well give him a shot. I remember Melton's first year he barely played at all the first 20 games. Marko Guduric was playing ahead of him. Once they pulled the plug on him and gave Melton a shot, he came in and gave us a big spark. Culver could just as easily do they same thing instead of Konchar. I'm not even a Konchar hater by any stretch, I like him pretty well, but the thought process is the same. 

Yea if Bane isn't hitting shots and not defending then he shouldn't start.  If Ja is THE OFFENSE then TJ needs to cover his defense and Bane aint gonna do that.     Grayson and Bane netrtg in starting lineup was a wash last season, which isn't exactly a defensive endorsement.    I didn't think he was awful and in the playoffs he was better than both Melt and Grayson overall at SG.  however our defense is so bad that his spot shouldn't be secure either. 

You remember the Clippers game when Winslow was tasked with guarding Kawhi?   DB and Winslow did an outstanding job guarding PG and Kawhi and it was one of the most impressive wins of the season.    That was actually Winslows best game and would have been his best role but Staff decided they wanted him to be baby Lebron instead.     Never really used him again as a designated defender and thats all she wrote.   

Fast forward this season and Staff is doing the EXACT same thing toCulver by trying to convert him into a Point Forward primary ballhandler instead of just using him as an energy defender.    Then they penalize him when he fails at something he hasn't been shown to be good at anyway.   Its just odd.   NBA Coaches throw out low usage defensive only wings all the time to cover opponents.   TJ hates dudes that only have one skill.  Everyone has to be a jack of all trades if they want to get into the rotation OR be willing to shoot 3s.   Which explains why Guduric got so many more chances than Melt did early on.  

No reason why Culver can't replicate what Konchar does - which is play with energy and stay outta the way on offense.  

53 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

No reason why Culver can't replicate what Konchar does - which is play with energy and stay outta the way on offense.  

your disdain for konchar is showing. might want to pull the slip down a hair. konchar has been fine in his extremely small role. 

slim. 

16 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

He’s hurt too much for me Ben Simmons out of the realm of possibility? 

I'd say Siakam is far more attainable than Simmons is. Mostly because the Sixers FO is crazy. 

Any trade for Siakam would have to involve Adams and probably Kyle. They're over the luxury cap, so those two plus picks. Maybe send someone else as well, but I think they'd value picks the most given their track record in the draft. 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, Ndq0327 said:

I see your point don’t think Culver is an answer to anything he’s only 6’6. I just don’t think the roster has enough of the right pieces. There are too many guys with similar size and similar skill sets on the roster. That whole everyone needs to be a playmaker idea ain’t working.

I think this may all come down to what works on paper vs what is actually working on the floor 

Front office too smart for its own good. Beverly or Bledsoe would be extremely helpful for our defensive issues.

Jenkins only has one move, shoot 3s and space the floor. Doesn't work when you don't have a bunch of deadeye shooters or somebody like Giannis to get to the rim and finish and protect the rim from 20 feet away.

Stop chasing reclamation projects. Put a couple of solid veterans on the roster. Stop chasing deep draft gems like Aldama or Williams and just pick consensus best available.

19 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The problem is we can see rotations that work but Jenkins doesn't do that. He drips in subs such that the lineup is ever shifting.

I think we'd do better platooning almost when we have guys that play better with each other.

BC and Jaren together, adams and kyle together, etc etc

I want the team to make a deal for Bagley he’s they type of athletic big that can play next to Jaren and he would be a great running mate for Ja. It’s wishful thinking but that’s a move the FO should have explored as soon as he became available.

Ok, I've got the solution:

Go get Norman Powell from the Blazers.Good defense, Good 3 point shooter, 18 mil/year. Start him at 2, dillon 3, kyle or BC, Jaren.

Bench becomes tyus, Melton, Bane, kyle/BC, adams.

8 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Front office too smart for its own good. Beverly or Bledsoe would be extremely helpful for our defensive issues.

Jenkins only has one move, shoot 3s and space the floor. Doesn't work when you don't have a bunch of deadeye shooters or somebody like Giannis to get to the rim and finish and protect the rim from 20 feet away.

Stop chasing reclamation projects. Put a couple of solid veterans on the roster. Stop chasing deep draft gems like Aldama or Williams and just pick consensus best available.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950449-nba-teams-already-regretting-their-2021-offseason-pickups

They made the right call on Bledsoe and Beverly cuz neither one of them dudes are the types of "Vet Leaders" you want on a young team. 

Defensively Bledsoe has fallen off a cliff too (similar to Adams)

Before lamenting L.A.'s missteps, let's start with a quick hat tip in this team's direction. The Clippers could have collapsed without Kawhi Leonard, but they've held it together with MVP-caliber play from Paul George and the Association's third-best defense.

Saying that, they are succeeding in spite of their offseason additions.

Eric Bledsoe's second tour of duty with the Clips has been disastrous. He has never been a great shooter, but this is especially awful (39.7 percent from the field, 24.5 percent from range). Ideally, he would be making up for this on the defensive end, but it's no better there. L.A.'s defense is 16.9 points worse per 100 possessions when he plays, and his matchups are shooting 2.7 percentage points higher against him than they do on average.

He has finally hinted at turning the corner lately (three straight outings of 50-plus percent shooting), but given the stink bombs he dropped before this mini-stretch, it's too early to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's particularly true when Patrick Beverley, the primary sacrifice in the Bledsoe trade, has outperformed him in every aspect. FiveThirtyEight's RAPTOR metric has Beverley as a top-70 player and Bledsoe outside of the top 200.

In hindsight it may have been better to keep Dunn as his defensive prowess is real.   

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950449-nba-teams-already-regretting-their-2021-offseason-pickups

They made the right call on Bledsoe and Beverly cuz neither one of them dudes are the types of "Vet Leaders" you want on a young team. 

Defensively Bledsoe has fallen off a cliff too (similar to Adams)

Before lamenting L.A.'s missteps, let's start with a quick hat tip in this team's direction. The Clippers could have collapsed without Kawhi Leonard, but they've held it together with MVP-caliber play from Paul George and the Association's third-best defense.

Saying that, they are succeeding in spite of their offseason additions.

Eric Bledsoe's second tour of duty with the Clips has been disastrous. He has never been a great shooter, but this is especially awful (39.7 percent from the field, 24.5 percent from range). Ideally, he would be making up for this on the defensive end, but it's no better there. L.A.'s defense is 16.9 points worse per 100 possessions when he plays, and his matchups are shooting 2.7 percentage points higher against him than they do on average.

He has finally hinted at turning the corner lately (three straight outings of 50-plus percent shooting), but given the stink bombs he dropped before this mini-stretch, it's too early to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's particularly true when Patrick Beverley, the primary sacrifice in the Bledsoe trade, has outperformed him in every aspect. FiveThirtyEight's RAPTOR metric has Beverley as a top-70 player and Bledsoe outside of the top 200.

In hindsight it may have been better to keep Dunn as his defensive prowess is real.   

Beverly seems to be doing quite well by what you're quoting, top 70 player