Ole Dirty Klondike

How Can This Team Get Better and Who is Good Enough to Trade For?

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Every game we've seen the Raptors over the last couple season I've thought the same thing. I wonder if he was too "old" for this current FO.  He'd be the 3rd oldest member of this team.

Was he injured earlier this season?  Why hasn't he played more this season?

Yes, he’s been injured. Was finally healthy enough to make his debut against us. 

Dang, Jaren's Spartans teammate scored 32 on 15 shots to knock over Trae & Co.

Smiley/Miles/Villain/Desi/Ja looking like serious contender material ?

On 12/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, The J Crew said:

Don’t be so sure:

Make that 6 with Wood's 23 & 8 trumping Ingram's 40 and JV's 17 & 10

5 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Dang, Jaren's Spartans teammate scored 32 on 15 shots to knock over Trae & Co.

Smiley/Miles/Villain/Desi/Ja looking like serious contender material ?

Was the Jaren/Miles Bridges pairing all that effective at Michigan State?  I know the entirety of the 3J/Miles/Xavier Tillman was, at times, a cluster.  

Just now, BigHunkALove said:

Make that 6 with Wood's 23 & 8 trumping Ingram's 40 and JV's 17 & 10

Can’t wait for some Pelicans 185-180 barn burners when Zion Williamson gets back!

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

Was the Jaren/Miles Bridges pairing all that effective at Michigan State?  I know the entirety of the 3J/Miles/Xavier Tillman was, at times, a cluster.  

With Tillman, not surprised lol

Somtimes you just need a Point God and Villain to get the best out of them......

6 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

With Tillman, not surprised lol

Somtimes you just need a Point God and Villain to get the best out of them......

Tyus is Point god given a 4 game wire to wire win streak including that infamous bathtub-drowning of the Thunder.  Ja can be Mini MJ or Mini Kobe with some Deion Sanders/TA Lite thrown in on the other side of the floor.  

Miles Bridges as a Sir Charles-esque small ball four could be fun (if he can guard anybody).  

On 12/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

We would have to trade someone to open up a spot.    Tyus can be moved.  four guard rotation of Ja bane Melt and combo would provide the additional shot creation we need.    I would target a bigger Combo (hence Colby white) so he can play alongside Ja in some lineups. 

Five days ago, GTF wanted to trade Tyus. Today, we are seeing just how valuable a player Tyus can be. I'm so glad the FO doesn't have to appease the board. 

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Five days ago, GTF wanted to trade Tyus. Today, we are seeing just how valuable a player Tyus can be. I'm so glad the FO doesn't have to appease the board. 

Yep i still do because he is an expiring contract.   They still may do that too. 

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep i still do because he is an expiring contract.   They still may do that too. 

We shall see. An expiring contract doesn't mean the team isn't happy with him after all. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

We shall see. An expiring contract doesn't mean the team isn't happy with him after all. 

"Happy with"??   So were they unhappy with JV and Grayson when they got traded?   My bad i am just using the past history FO decisions to predict what will happen.  Maybe i should use your logic, which seems to be based on assumption of their emotional state to figure out what they will do instead.  :) 

51 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

"Happy with"??   So were they unhappy with JV and Grayson when they got traded?   My bad i am just using the past history FO decisions to predict what will happen.  Maybe i should use your logic, which seems to be based on assumption of their emotional state to figure out what they will do instead.  :) 

Lighten up GTF. I simply am saying that Tyus Jones is playing well, the team doesn't appear to have a substitute for him while Ja is injured and it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade the current starting and only full-time backup PG while the team is competing for a playoff position. This isn't fantasy basketball after all. Moving pieces around on a team often takes time to gel. 

Last Wednesday you were promoting trading Tyus. Clearly that would NOT have been a smart move at the time as the team has responded well to him playing more minutes. Tyus is showing his value to the team and "if" he gets traded will likely command a lot more than you thought just five days ago.

Personally, I am glad the team hasn't traded him. I would be more than content if he was re-signed to a new contract. He's only 25 and brings a lot to the plate as the backup PG. You can go ahead and play pretend GM and make trade suggestions all you want. Tyus at 25 isn't being pressured for playing time by his backups like Grayson and isn't going to demand a major contract like Jonas. If you see similarities between the three of their situations you may be looking harder than needed. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Lighten up GTF. I simply am saying that Tyus Jones is playing well, the team doesn't appear to have a substitute for him while Ja is injured and it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade the current starting and only full-time backup PG while the team is competing for a playoff position. This isn't fantasy basketball after all. Moving pieces around on a team often takes time to gel. 

Last Wednesday you were promoting trading Tyus. Clearly that would NOT have been a smart move at the time as the team has responded well to him playing more minutes. Tyus is showing his value to the team and "if" he gets traded will likely command a lot more than you thought just five days ago.

Personally, I am glad the team hasn't traded him. I would be more than content if he was re-signed to a new contract. He's only 25 and brings a lot to the plate as the backup PG. You can go ahead and play pretend GM and make trade suggestions all you want. Tyus at 25 isn't being pressured for playing time by his backups like Grayson and isn't going to demand a major contract like Jonas. If you see similarities between the three of their situations you may be looking harder than needed. 

Tyus is point guarding good right now.  Can the former backup QB keep it up?  Maybe he is a flash in the pan. Maybe he's the new Tom Brady of the NBA.

Tyus/Ja should be the new experiment once Sideshow Ja gets back.  The pairing was dismal in terms of "advanced stats" but I am wondering if those two played with Jaren and the other starters/top rotation guys.

Ja Morant is ALREADY a local legend.  Just like Penny.  Both have shoe deals -- but what does THAT have to do with anything?  If Elliott Perry (HS), Tony Madlock, and Marcus Nolan/Sydney Coles (Bimbo's bro) can be Penny's point guard then maybe Tyus Jones can be Ja's point guard.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

When Ja is healthy he will go back to getting 12mpg.   Do you think FO wants to pay a backup PG 8+m annually to play so few minutes?   they should be shopping both Tyus and Kyle IMHO.   

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

When Ja is healthy he will go back to getting 12mpg.   Do you think FO wants to pay a backup PG 8+m annually to play so few minutes?   they should be shopping both Tyus and Kyle IMHO.   

Perhaps the team will shop Tyus. They just aren't shopping him today or last week. 

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Perhaps the team will shop Tyus. They just aren't shopping him today or last week. 

No, not going to deal him while Ja is out.  I really like having Tyus, and I'm sure the FO does too, but it will just depend upon if he fits into the plan and budget for the future.  Bane is working himself up to a sizeable extension too.  We won't have room for everyone as they go from their initial contract to a higher, new veteran contract.  Some players will have to be let go, or shipped out and bring in new, younger, cheaper talent to have room to pay for all of our "stars."  Having Tyus perform really well now will increase his trade value, if we do deal him when Ja gets healthy.  If they want to strike while his value is high, they probably think we can suffice on Melton/Bane or even Merrill handling backup duties, and then draft a rookie PG to be the backup for the future.  

23 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

The Cavs would trade for Tyus.  Coach JB would figure out how to make Tyus/Garland work (with Rubio off the bench). Those two outside running the team with Mobley and Jarrett Allen can win 2 or 3 championships.

1 hour ago, ThaGhostOfThaBeet said:

No, not going to deal him while Ja is out.  I really like having Tyus, and I'm sure the FO does too, but it will just depend upon if he fits into the plan and budget for the future.  Bane is working himself up to a sizeable extension too.  We won't have room for everyone as they go from their initial contract to a higher, new veteran contract.  Some players will have to be let go, or shipped out and bring in new, younger, cheaper talent to have room to pay for all of our "stars."  Having Tyus perform really well now will increase his trade value, if we do deal him when Ja gets healthy.  If they want to strike while his value is high, they probably think we can suffice on Melton/Bane or even Merrill handling backup duties, and then draft a rookie PG to be the backup for the future.  

100% agree.  This is my take as well. I don't think enough posters realize that FO strategy of development isn't purely about the developed player staying on the roster.  Some of them are being developed to be stronger trade assets.   We cannot afford to keep everyone. 

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

100% agree.  This is my take as well. I don't think enough posters realize that FO strategy of development isn't purely about the developed player staying on the roster.  Some of them are being developed to be stronger trade assets.   We cannot afford to keep everyone. 

*life or death * 

right now today

tyus

or

dillon

for 4 years?

You can only have 1.

who you wit?

5 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

*life or death * 

right now today

tyus

or

dillon

for 4 years?

You can only have 1.

who you wit?

Dillon all day.   At the very least he can be a 2way shot chucker off the bench.   Tyus can be replaced by a steady cheaper older experienced vet. 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Dillon all day.   At the very least he can be a 2way shot chucker off the bench.   Tyus can be replaced by a steady cheaper older experienced vet. 

Give me an example of a steady , cheaper older vet that you’d sign right now for 4 years.

13 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

*life or death * 

right now today

tyus

or

dillon

for 4 years?

You can only have 1.

who you wit?

Dillon since he's already signed his extension...

7 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Give me an example of a steady , cheaper older vet that you’d sign right now for 4 years.

havent thought that far ahead lol.  I was thinking more of 2 years.   Delon Wright. Corey Joseph  Elfrid Payton  Brad Wannamaker??.