The J Crew

Marc Gasol traded to Grizzlies . . .

1 minute ago, Ace-is-high said:

Wow 10 million for a second round pick

Not really. That's just what the Lakers save because they are in repeater tax territory. Marc was only scheduled to make $2.7M this year. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Not really. That's just what the Lakers save because they are in repeater tax territory. Marc was only scheduled to make $2.7M this year. 

And they sent cash, so probably defrayed some of that $2.7m too.

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Ahhh that's much better, not long ago teams were selling late first rounders for a million

Just now, ACGrizz said:

And they sent cash, so probably defrayed some of that $2.7m too.

Yep. 

And the savings thing is always just a prediction. The team's end of the season salary is used to calculate any tax owed. So the Lakers could make other moves to lessen or worsen their repeater tax status between now and then. 

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

Let the negativity about how we only got a 2nd round pick for saving the Lakers 10m dollars only to waive a franchise player begin

Seems like you're the only one being negative about it. 

Just saw on Espn that he is really close to beat MC to the franchise leading scorer spot. I hope we keep him and give him 10 games to make it, then he retire as a Grizzly

4 hours ago, The J Crew said:

but then will be waived.

"Sorry, Marc," the Lakers said, "you're not old enough to play with us."

3 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Let the negativity about how we only got a 2nd round pick for saving the Lakers 10m dollars only to waive a franchise player begin

Nothing to be negative about here. Free 2nd rounder, suspect LA basically paid the contract, saving them 7.3 million and costing a 2nd rounder. Value fair

I wish we sent Oturu to them as well. Would've saved us some money. We're going to end up waiving him anyway. They could've probably used him as a third string center. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I wish we sent Oturu to them as well. Would've saved us some money. We're going to end up waiving him anyway. They could've probably used him as a third string center. 

Then it probably would not save the Lakers as much money since they would be liable for Oturu's salary.  Sort of defeats the purpose.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Then it probably would not save the Lakers as much money since they would be liable for Oturu's salary.  Sort of defeats the purpose.

It would've saved them ~6 million. I think that's plenty fair, plus getting a young guy for cheap (of which they don't not really have). Pretty much the same value. They probably aren't going to go the whole season with 13 players, and are going to have to sign someone anyway, which will in turn use that money. You sacrifice a little money to get a cheap and young end of bench player. The purpose wasn't for the Lakers to just turn around and waive Oturu. 

Doesn't really matter now, as that's not what happened. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

It would've saved them ~6 million. I think that's plenty fair, plus getting a young guy for cheap (of which they don't not really have). Pretty much the same value. They probably aren't going to go the whole season with 13 players, and are going to have to sign someone anyway, which will in turn use that money. You sacrifice a little money to get a cheap and young end of bench player. 

Doesn't really matter now, as that's not what happened. 

That's 40% less for them.  They probably would have looked for a new trade partner.  As you said, it doesn't really matter now.

Man, this really is a double dagger to the heart.

Getting Marc Gasol back, only to see him retire from NBA, but also having to say goodbye to our Wang.

Lots of talk on these boards about him, we've all spent too much time focused on our Wang, so thanks for the memories.

I wish he would suit up for one game. Just one more game. But I am glad I can say this morning hes a member of the Memphis Grizzlies again. Feels right. 

Pity we couldn't arrange something like this for Zbo or TA but I'll take it.

Looks like he plans to retire for real, I haven't heard any rumors about him playing in Spain like Pau did last season (ostensibly to prepare for the Olympics).

On 9/11/2021 at 5:29 AM, fanboyslim said:

Pity we couldn't arrange something like this for Zbo or TA but I'll take it.

Looks like he plans to retire for real, I haven't heard any rumors about him playing in Spain like Pau did last season (ostensibly to prepare for the Olympics).

Maybe we can do that for Mike when hes finally done