TimBC

NBA coach rankings - TJ #15

Hmm, seems reasonable: https://ca.nba.com/news/who-are-the-best-coaches-in-the-nba-entering-the-2021-22-season-ranking/1mng22uytr4k71157lcfpgy05j

We get frustrated sometimes, but not about big, fundamental things, and he's built team spirit, developed players, and probably got about as many wins as we deserved. 

3 hours ago, TimBC said:

Hmm, seems reasonable: https://ca.nba.com/news/who-are-the-best-coaches-in-the-nba-entering-the-2021-22-season-ranking/1mng22uytr4k71157lcfpgy05j

We get frustrated sometimes, but not about big, fundamental things, and he's built team spirit, developed players, and probably got about as many wins as we deserved. 

Seems pretty middle of the pack like I feel like he is at this current point. Always ways to improve.  I cant complain. 

Can't possibly be correct, @TimBC.  I know from reading these boards that the Grizzlies have a long-standing tradition of hiring the worst, dumbest coaches ever, because all the fans on here are way smarter.

8 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Can't possibly be correct, @TimBC.  I know from reading these boards that the Grizzlies have a long-standing tradition of hiring the worst, dumbest coaches ever, because all the fans on here are way smarter.

I think every one loved Hubie. 

I know L. Hollins had a die hard. Someone whose username starts with K and ends with M. 

34 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

I think every one loved Hubie. 

I know L. Hollins had a die hard. Someone whose username starts with K and ends with M. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with Hubie, Fratello, Hollins, Joerger, or Jenkins.  None were perfect, but all were decent coaches.   To some extent I have to agree with @chipc3, that coaches are only as good as their roster.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with Hubie, Fratello, Hollins, Joerger, or Jenkins.  None were perfect, but all were decent coaches.   To some extent I have to agree with @chipc3, that coaches are only as good as their roster.

A bad coach can waste a good roster though 

On 9/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, smit-tay griz said:

See the source image

For some reason, I always find myself disagreeing with the strategy of baseball coaches... even really good ones.

Tony LaRussa and Tim Corbin might be the best MLB and college baseball skippers of all time...but...

Just look at how much coaches get paid in comparison to players.  There is no salary cap for coaches and they get paid like a guy playing 10-15 minutes a game.  So that is how NBA management views the worth of a good coach and I see no reason to go against that.

imo coaching plays a huge part in basketball...especially when it comes to winning a championship...by the time a team gets to the conference finals and championship games..,the talent leave of the teams should be close...the little adjustments and attention to detail is what is going to get you that trophy.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

imo coaching plays a huge part in basketball...especially when it comes to winning a championship...by the time a team gets to the conference finals and championship games..,the talent leave of the teams should be close...the little adjustments and attention to detail is what is going to get you that trophy.

Can you give me an example of a situation you remember where a coach made "a little adjustment" that made the difference? 

50 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Can you give me an example of a situation you remember where a coach made "a little adjustment" that made the difference? 

Older article (and admit I haven't read it fully), but seems to at least attempt to answer your question:

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-art-of-coaching-adjustments-in-the-nba-playoffs/

Example they first use is inserting JJ Barea into the Finals line-up in 2011.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:22 AM, bhoyal said:

For some reason, I always find myself disagreeing with the strategy of baseball coaches... even really good ones.

Tony LaRussa and Tim Corbin might be the best MLB and college baseball skippers of all time...but...

I don't think basketball has nearly as much entrenched lore. One example of baseball is having the pitcher always try to throw a strike on the first pitch. Everyone knows this, yet everyone is amazed when the Blue Jays (and few others) hack away at first pitches. Duh.  Then we get into "never make the second out at third base with your #9 batter at the plate against a righty on a cloudy Thursday west of the Mississippi."  

Maybe the NBA will drift even deeper into "shoot more threes" but I hope we'll see a couple of teams find a new approach that makes the pendulum swing back. I want every season to be a little bit different. 

On 9/10/2021 at 1:46 PM, ACGrizz said:

Older article (and admit I haven't read it fully), but seems to at least attempt to answer your question:

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-art-of-coaching-adjustments-in-the-nba-playoffs/

Example they first use is inserting JJ Barea into the Finals line-up in 2011.

I read that article and it seems to reconfirm my opinion as much as disprove it. Van Gundy (a former coach looking for a job is the sole contributor by the way) states repeatedly that a coach isn't going to do much that he doesn't already know works. It may seem surprising to fans who aren't accustomed to it but the biggest examples Van Gundy mentions are roster moves of putting a player who matches up better against a different player or asking a player to do something he's already proven he can do. 

So basically all the "subtle" moves are accepting certain players match up better against other players. The people on the boards comment about these very things all the time. Using this article as proof that coaches matter also implies most posters can coach in the NBA.  

It also reveals the fact that if the coach doesn't have the talent on his roster already, nothing he will do will make a big difference. 

11 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I read that article and it seems to reconfirm my opinion as much as disprove it. Van Gundy (a former coach looking for a job is the sole contributor by the way) states repeatedly that a coach isn't going to do much that he doesn't already know works. It may seem surprising to fans who aren't accustomed to it but the biggest examples Van Gundy mentions are roster moves of putting a player who matches up better against a different player or asking a player to do something he's already proven he can do. 

So basically all the "subtle" moves are accepting certain players match up better against other players. The people on the boards comment about these very things all the time. Using this article as proof that coaches matter also implies most posters can coach in the NBA.  

It also reveals the fact that if the coach doesn't have the talent on his roster already, nothing he will do will make a big difference. 

You've got to be kidding!  The way these knee-jerk reaction posters are thinking on here???  Most of the people on here would bench a season-long 45% three-point shooter in the playoffs if he missed two or three in a row.   They'd play a scrub major minutes if he had  two flashy dunks.  Wisdom isn't the better part of most of us on these boards.  If you really believe that, why don't they save money and just hire just anyone instead of guys with a  resume?  Can anyone be a financial advisor if you've got lots of rich clients?

13 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You've got to be kidding!  The way these knee-jerk reaction posters are thinking on here???  Most of the people on here would bench a season-long 45% three-point shooter in the playoffs if he missed two or three in a row.   They'd play a scrub major minutes if he had  two flashy dunks.  Wisdom isn't the better part of most of us on these boards.  If you really believe that, why don't they save money and just hire just anyone instead of guys with a  resume?  Can anyone be a financial advisor if you've got lots of rich clients?

Image result for satire gif

On 9/13/2021 at 7:18 PM, smit-tay griz said:

🧐

no lie detected

🤔