GF#1

Grizzlies are trading Patrick Beverley to the T'Wolves

4 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

i completely forgot about konchar who is also better than culver at this point.  we went from needing a wing consolidation trade to needing a bigger wing consolidation trade and now also a frontcourt consolidation trade.  i feel like kleiman is moving too many pieces around just for the sake of feeling like he's doing something.  TBD though.

Hmmmm.... interesting that you mention that,  because I was just thinking about how baffling it is... what the exact long term strategy is of this summer's trade-mania-extravaganza.  Is it to only keep young players?  If so, then look for Oturu and Culver to be here for a while.  They might only average 7 minutes a game for now, but whatever.  You can only put 5 guys out there at a time.

4 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Hmmmm.... interesting that you mention that,  because I was just thinking about how baffling it is... what the exact long term strategy is of this summer's trade-mania-extravaganza.  Is it to only keep young players?  If so, then look for Oturu and Culver to be here for a while.  They might only average 7 minutes a game for now, but whatever.  You can only put 5 guys out there at a time.

I think the goal of this summer is to get value for JV, Grayson, and Kyle before they let them walk in free agency next summer because they will either get paid too much or don't fit the scheme (JV)

22 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

i don't think culver is salvageable, but i'm willing to give him a chance.  however, we just re-concentrated our wing rotation --> went from dillon/allen/bane/melton to an overall worse shooting group of dillon/bane/melton/ziaire/culver.  and merrill i guess.  gotta be more moves coming.  if i'm melton, then i'm asking my agent about a trade.

Basically Allen is why the shooting is worse, right? Melton and Bane are both younger and both shoot at a pretty good clip. It’s essential they get more mins to keep developing since the organization has actually invested in those 2 players. I don’t think we’ll see a big drop off in shooting.

A consolidation trade for 1 good player seems on the horizon, that's the only way to make sense of all this scrub shuffling between teams, If Kyle is in any upcoming trades it better be for someone good

5 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Is Jarrett Culver good?

Nope, #6 pick from 2 years ago and already on the decline and basically losing rotation minutes on a bad team.

45 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Just going to say it. I do not like the idea of trading Kyle or anyone else who contributes to winning.

Losing JV is going to set us back a little because of the massive loss of rebounds however I can accept it because I do believe he will always be a liability in the playoffs. Still got love for JV but that is reality. 

My thing is this if you trade away a guy who contributes to winning it may look to the current guys like you as a franchise/ front office whatever do not value winning. Seems pretty clear to me that Ja likes to win… just saying. 

What’s the deal with all this we’re gonna lose a step because we have adams instead of JV?

Y’all are aware that Adams is actually a better fit than JV right? Adams is more mobile and athletic than JV is he’s just as strong and will be a better defender in the PnR. And he’s also not some scrub that can’t score I don’t see the team missing a beat just because JV isn’t here anymore 

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I liked Beverly but from what I am hearing, the Grizzlies are about to make another swing for the fences deal for a great player using multiple expiring contracts to get it done. 

Just a rumor however

What qualifies as a swing for the fences deal? You say a great player, so are we talking about top 25 scorer from last season? How many of those are even available. Looking at the list, I have a hard time believing many of the players who scored in the top 25 last year would be available fore a trade.

I will use my patent pending rating system to determine if they would be available for a trade:

1    Stephen Curry GS- HELL NO
2    Bradley Beal WSH- POSSIBLE BUT NOT LIKELY
3    Damian Lillard POR NOT LIKELY
4    Joel Embiid PHI- HELL NO
5    Giannis Antetokounmpo MIL- DOUBLE HELL NO
6    Luka Doncic DAL- TRIPLE HELL NO
7    Zach LaVine CHI Possible but not likely being that they just acquired Ball and DeRozan
8    Zion Williamson NO- HELL NO
9    Kevin Durant BKN- TRIPLE HELL NO
10    Kyrie Irving BKN- NO
11    Jayson Tatum BOS- BOS underachieved big time but do we have the assets?
12    Donovan Mitchell UTAH- HELL NO
13    Nikola Jokic DEN- Triple HELL NO
14    Devin Booker PHX- No
15    Trae Young ATL- HELL NO
16    De'Aaron Fox SAC- No reason to do this
17    LeBron James LAL- TRIPLE HELL NO
18    Kawhi Leonard LAC- TRIPLE HELL NO
19    Karl-Anthony Towns MIN- MOST LIKELY
20    Jaylen Brown BOS BOS underachieved big time but do we have the assets?
21    James Harden HOU/BKN- HELL NO
22    Collin Sexton CLE- No reasons to do this
23    Julius Randle NY- No
24    Brandon Ingram NO-  Could happen
25    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander OKC- No reason to do this

So looking at the top 25 scorers from last season, I think KAT is the most likely to be traded and Ingram could be a possibility and Tatum or Brown from BOS could be a possibility if they decide to blow it up because they underachieved but I doubt that would happen and I doubt a bunch of expirings would be acceptable for BOS. Pretty much everyone else falls in the no category or they play the same position as Ja. 

9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Nope, #6 pick from 2 years ago and already on the decline and basically losing rotation minutes on a bad team.

Maybe minny wasn’t the right fit for him. Fit has a lot to do with whether a player pans out or not Minnesota hasn’t been the best ran Franchise as of late so I would slow down on saying a player isn’t good.

Sounds like the same treatment Grayson got when he was included in the Conley deal.

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What qualifies as a swing for the fences deal? You say a great player, so are we talking about top 25 scorer from last season? How many of those are even available. Looking at the list, I have a hard time believing many of the players who scored in the top 25 last year would be available fore a trade.

I will use my patent pending rating system to determine if they would be available for a trade:

7    Zach LaVine CHI Possible but not likely being that they just acquired Ball and DeRozan

So looking at the top 25 scorers from last season, I think KAT is the most likely to be traded and Ingram could be a possibility and Tatum or Brown from BOS could be a possibility if they decide to blow it up because they underachieved but I doubt that would happen and I doubt a bunch of expirings would be acceptable for BOS. Pretty much everyone else falls in the no category or they play the same position as Ja. 

I’d gladly take Ingram but would NO trade him to a division rival?

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

Maybe minny wasn’t the right fit for him. Fit has a lot to do with whether a player pans out or not Minnesota hasn’t been the best ran Franchise as of late so I would slow down on saying a player isn’t good.

Sounds like the same treatment Grayson got when he was included in the Conley deal.

Maybe, but I don't see him taking anyone's minutes here. 

5 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I’d gladly take Ingram but would NO trade him to a division rival?

I mean, they traded Adams to a division rival.

I don't think that combo of Ingram and Williamson will work tbh. Had a long discussion with my barber about that. I would happily take Tatum or Brown over Ingram but then the question becomes, if we get a high scoring swingman.....what do with do with ZW? Is he a bench player? Do we move DB? KAT may make the most sense if him and JJJ can play together. (I'm saying as far as who is attainable out of the top 25 scorers, not saying I would want to trade for KAT)

21 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think it's not going to be a player of any of this caliber, maybe the consolidation move is for someone like CJ McCollum or Bagley + Hield or maybe even Porzingis 

I like the move and MAYBE Culver becomes an ok bench mob guy. If not, I’m rather indifferent. Hell, maybe he is traded by the time I post this at the current rate of trades.

Im more interested in how they consolidate the roster in the weeks ahead. There have to be a few more moves coming. 

41 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

I think the goal of this summer is to get value for JV, Grayson, and Kyle before they let them walk in free agency next summer because they will either get paid too much or don't fit the scheme (JV)

Yes, they are making the hard decisions in regards to who will be a part of the future going forward.  Jaren Ja and Dillon are gonna get PAID.   I think we can assume Ziaire and Bane will be part of that future.  

18 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

What’s the deal with all this we’re gonna lose a step because we have adams instead of JV?

Y’all are aware that Adams is actually a better fit than JV right? Adams is more mobile and athletic than JV is he’s just as strong and will be a better defender in the PnR. And he’s also not some scrub that can’t score I don’t see the team missing a beat just because JV isn’t here anymore 

Yea i dont get the hot take that we are gonna fall off a cliff without JV.     Adams is no scrub - he is a legit starting Center.  Which is all that JV was.  

Just now, Pumuki said:

I think it's not going to be a player of any of this caliber, maybe the consolidation move is for someone like CJ McCollum or Bagley + Hield or maybe even Porzingis 

I was just about to say something similar.  Basically Aim lower.   I dont want any of them dudes.    Heck what if it is for Ben Simmons....

4 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Do they? They're mainly shuffling guys 11-15 on the roster around and occasionally stopping to buy out somebody

Moves ain't over and the draft says it. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I was just about to say something similar.  Basically Aim lower.   I dont want any of them dudes.    Heck what if it is for Ben Simmons....

I don't think we can get Ben Simmons... I see the consolidation move for someone like Siakam, TjWarren , Hield, Porzingis ...and it's ok for me as long as we don't cripple our future cap situation and consolidate the 4-5 satellite players that are not in our 2-3 year plan.

45 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I don’t see the team missing JV in the long term (as my post stated), but I worry about the effect of  trading winning players - I mentioned Kyle Anderson specifically.

In other words, we made the playoffs last season. If we do not this coming season I am not sure how that will sit with our alpha guys - Ja and Dillon.

Also Adams will not be putting up MacBo style double doubles like JV did so keep dreaming. I do hope Adams can be an improvement on defense but from what I saw last year it seems doubtful.

It is one thing for me as a fan to sit around and say “Yeh it makes sense to plan for next year.” These guys that are playing though they aren’t saving their best game for next year… 

I am talking about a mentality. If we start trading good players for guys that could be good - like Culver - we better hope they pan out. 

As with anything  I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe the team will not trade or choose not to re-sign Kyle. I believe part of the decisions to let JV and Grayson walk were that they made a decision beforehand about who they wanted to keep moving forward (of the guys on expiring contracts). They evaluated Kyle was who they wanted to commit to long-term. That's just my feeling on the situation., I believe they will extend Kyle.

50 minutes ago, Arkm110 said:

Siakam?

Possibly, makes the most sense. And he's available to an extent. 

52 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I can see the Ben Simmons angle as well. We can use him like a mix of Kyle and Brandon. He can either side of the pick and roll. 

7 hours ago, Gradey said:

Stuff like this is why I'm not freaking out on a trade/trade basis.  I have no idea what these dudes are up to lol.

Scoot over my man … I’m sitting right here next to you.

Let the trade everybody posters enjoy their moments! 

25 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

As with anything  I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe the team will not trade or choose not to re-sign Kyle. I believe part of the decisions to let JV and Grayson walk were that they made a decision beforehand about who they wanted to keep moving forward (of the guys on expiring contracts). They evaluated Kyle was who they wanted to commit to long-term. That's just my feeling on the situation., I believe they will extend Kyle.

I hope you are right and we keep him, because I think Kyle's game will age well. And I don't think he'll be that expensive to retain. But my guess is they have shopped him, and he is available for the right return. 

Re the extension, I realize you didn't say this summer, but just for a board fyi, I don't think Kyle is extension eligible this offseason. If I understand them correctly - the CBA extension rules are pretty specific - for a player on a 4 year contract, the extension is an option after the player's 2nd season.