ACGrizz

Looking back at past draft night reactions

I don't love what we did in terms of picking ZW and Santi where we did, but thought you guys might get a laugh looking back at the initial draft night reaction for some of the older drafts. I picked Bleacher Report since I could easily find their draft grades from 2015-2018; if you think they're trash, I don't necessarily disagree, but give it a shot with another site of your liking. I'm sure you'll realize that sometimes these pundits have no **** clue what they're talking about...let's hope that's the case with our picks this year.

2015https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2506389-2015-nba-draft-grades-full-team-by-team-report-cards

Examples of grades that were way too positive:

Magic get an A- for Mario Hezonja, Heat get an A- for Justise Winslow, Rockets get a B+ for Sam Dekker, Grizzlies get a B for Jarell Martin

2016https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2648118-2016-nba-draft-grades-full-team-by-team-report-cards

Pistons get an A for Henry Ellenson, Grizzlies get a B+ for Wade Baldwin, Timberwolves get a B+ for Kris Dunn, Suns get a B+ for Dragan Bender

Examples of grades that were way too negative:

Celtics get a B- for Jaylen Brown, Nuggets get a B for Jamal Murray, Raptors get C for Jakob Poeltl+Pascal Siakam (Siakam is called a "major reach"..."Deyonta Davis and Skal Labissiere both should've been taken before Siakam")

2017: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717322-2017-nba-draft-grades-for-every-pick

Sixers get an A+ for Markelle Fultz ("No matter who Fultz plays with in Philadelphia, he'll fit in. He can defer touches to Ben Simmons and thrive as an off-ball weapon." YIKES), Suns get an A for Josh Jackson, Mavericks got an A+ for Dennis Smith Jr.

Celtics get a B for Jayson Tatum ("It's an aggressive evaluation of a player who often displayed lackluster effort during his brief time at Duke and doesn't quite possess the prototypical explosiveness we've come to expect from superstar wings."), Jazz get a C+ for Donovan Mitchell ("This is a boom-or-bust pick for Utah, as well as a sliiiight reach, and that depresses the grade a bit."), Heat get a C for Bam Adebayo

2018https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782237-2018-nba-draft-live-grades-for-every-pick

Kings get an A- for Marvin Bagley, Magic get an A for Mo Bamba, Knicks get B for Kevin Knox, Sixers get an A for Zhaire Smith

Hawks get a C- for Trae Young, Clippers get a B- for SGA, Bucks get C+ for Donte DiVincenzo

Thanks excellent post.   There are no experts this early on any of this.   It takes about 2yrs at minimum to know the true grades of a draft. 

There is always uncertainty in the draft. Anyone in the world can bust, no matter how high they are, and there is a long history of second rounders turning out to be the best players from a particular draft, 5 years in. But in this league, teams use prospects as currency, they're traded all the time. The odds of either of our picks being on our team 5 years from now are slim, IMO, so I'm just not high on the "let's trade up for some long term home runs" thing.

I will root for these guys, same as anyone else, but I don't have high hopes. I'd love to be surprised, and wrong.

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Thanks excellent post.   There are no experts this early on any of this.   It takes about 2yrs at minimum to know the true grades of a draft. 

I agree, that's why I did the 2016 draft grade in the other thread.  Even after 1 year it can be deceiving as Tyreke and Brandon Jennings looked great from that Thabeet draft group

The night it happen I was worried but the morning after I was ok with both our picks. I actually like them a lot both now. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:02 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Which is why it is so funny to hear people proclaim the Grizzlies made a mistake on draft night. I know I was feeling depressed when the Grizzlies went for Zaiare instead of Bouknight or Moody. I wanted a scorer in the draft but the team stuck with the all around player instead. 

I'd give the rookies three years before grading them. By then the dye is usually cast on a player. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Which is why it is so funny to hear people proclaim the Grizzlies made a mistake on draft night. I know I was feeling depressed when the Grizzlies went for Zaiare instead of Bouknight or Moody. I wanted a scorer in the draft but the team stuck with the all around player instead. 

I'd give the rookies three years before grading them. By then the dye is usually cast on a player. 

Same here except i will want to see flashes from Ziaire and hope his defensive chops shows earlier on.    It didn't take me long to become a fan of Ziaire over Moody or Bouknight because i wanted us to draft him in the beginning.    He fell outta favor with me because of what the NBA nerds were saying.   

I wanted a 6'8+ wing from the get go and his potential as a shot creator is more tangible than Moody or Murphy's.  

Yeah for me it was just the name shock.  I was prepared for a handful of possibles but had completely dismissed ZW.  After educating myself, I understand why the pick was made.  Now here is to hoping they are right! :)

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

yeah but if Bouknight or Moody come out and look really good while Zaire can't get off the bench it's going to look really bad that everybody wanted one of them, we passed them for a project, and we made an obvious mistake by trying to be too smart. It will really sting.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I've always thought of this as "die is cast" as in once you throw a die (singular for dice), you can't undo it.

But if you want to do a rabbit hole search, looking up the origins of that phrase brings up multiple options, including "dye is cast" and "die is cast"

9 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

yeah but if Bouknight or Moody come out and look really good while Zaire can't get off the bench it's going to look really bad that everybody wanted one of them, we passed them for a project, and we made an obvious mistake by trying to be too smart. It will really sting.

I said earlier that this draft reminded me of the Jordan Adams draft. I wasn’t in Memphis for either draft, I had a player I wanted who fell to us but instead of getting a three and D SF that the team needed they took Adams. I was crushed. I felt the same way this year.

12 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I don’t think it will even if those guys pan out. We all knew they were looking for a specific thing in this draft, a big (6’8”-6’10”) wing, and neither Bouknight or Moody fit that mold. We have plenty guys 6’4”-6’6”, we don’t need anymore of those. Once Giddy, Wagner, Kuminga & Scottie Barnes we’re all gone ZW was the highest upside and best player in that mold available. I’m good with the pick. 

It will take a few years to determine if it was a good move or not, heck we still don't know if JJJ is working out.

16 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

That's what I am afraid of 

13 hours ago, King Dork said:

I don’t think it will even if those guys pan out. We all knew they were looking for a specific thing in this draft, a big (6’8”-6’10”) wing, and neither Bouknight or Moody fit that mold. We have plenty guys 6’4”-6’6”, we don’t need anymore of those. Once Giddy, Wagner, Kuminga & Scottie Barnes we’re all gone ZW was the highest upside and best player in that mold available. I’m good with the pick. 

All those guys sound like role players.  Green/Mobley were "the guys" in this draft, probably Cade, too, but let's see what happens.  Giddey looks to be the Boom/Bust guy in that group.  

I wonder what our FO thought of Jalen Johnson... slight chance he has the most TALENT of anybody in this draft.

With ZW8, hopefully we can get a 3 and D combo point wing 4th option.  

My highest rated role player in this draft was Trey Murphy III as a Tier 3 guy at pick 5.  

I think some teams will be mad at themselves for passing on Trey Murphy III.  I think LOTS of teams will be kicking themselves for passing on Jalen Johnson.

I think ZW8's best role will be as a 3 and D utility player (with athleticism) like Danny Green or Robert Horry.  

I REALLY want to see some Ja/Dillon/ZW8/PONSTAR/Jaren lineups.  Great fits.  3 go-to guys with a (potentially ideal) 4th option of the future, and the one-and-only Yves Pons.  And, Bane strikes me as a classic 6th man type.  Tillman/Clarke are solid but can probably be drafted over.  If Melton/Konchar can provide enough ball handling and passing then that's a really solid, long-term backup back court.

I would make a new thread but don’t feel like it lol. 

How does everyone feel about the FO drafting for fit instead of taking best player available?

Personally I’m in favor of taking the best guy regardless of fit and letting talent dictate who you keep and who you trade, but the FO clearly saw a need for a big wing and targeted all of the big wings in this draft. 

Im rooting to be wrong and for ZW to turn out the best of the bunch but I look a Bouknight even in summer league (I know u can’t say someone will be good because of summer league) and just question the pick. 

Hopefully ZW plays in Vegas and goes bonkers tho.  

I have to see a player play 3 to 4 years in the NBA before I decided if the draft pick was good or not.

I find it odd how fans and media give out grades without them playing 1 minute in the nba.

57 minutes ago, King Dork said:

How does everyone feel about the FO drafting for fit instead of taking best player available?

Personally I’m in favor of taking the best guy regardless of fit and letting talent dictate who you keep and who you trade, but the FO clearly saw a need for a big wing and targeted all of the big wings in this draft. 

Im rooting to be wrong and for ZW to turn out the best of the bunch but I look a Bouknight even in summer league (I know u can’t say someone will be good because of summer league) and just question the pick. 

Maybe the organization felt he was the best available.  Just because mocks said different doesn't make it true.  Time will tell.

4 hours ago, costarica2 said:

I have to see a player play 3 to 4 years in the NBA before I decided if the draft pick was good or not.

I find it odd how fans and media give out grades without them playing 1 minute in the nba.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe the organization felt he was the best available.  Just because mocks said different doesn't make it true.  Time will tell.

I’m not trying to give out definitive grades. Everything now is speculative, and ZW might end up being BPA. Just wondering where other people’s heads are in the fit/BPA discussion. 

Heck, only thing I’m sure about is my 30 to 10 kill death ratio in COD lol

11 hours ago, King Dork said:

Fit and BPA can mean a lot of things.  

Sometimes when discussing BPA, think about how hard it is to evaluate talent, especially when evaluating talent from colleges, international ball (multiple leagues), and now G-League.  If evaluating 70 guys, I think you have a tiered system, and within a tier of guys that you think are all similar, you do look for what guy fits what you want, especially once you get past the top tier of guys.

I hope that if the Grizzlies were drafting top 5, they would have picked any one of those consensus top 5 guys, regardless of position.  Most these guys after pick number 2 or 4, end up just being role players or starters, and most don't even pan out for the team that selected them, even when talking about lottery picks.  I'm hopeful this FO keeps nailing these picks.

I'm guessing that if we had a ranking of the top 20 NBA players for next season, none of our lists orders would look the same, and that's after seeing these guys play for multiple years.  And then if we said, rank the 20 players that you would want on the Grizzlies for next 5 seasons, if you could choose any NBA player and they had to play for the Grizzlies, those lists would look different.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:32 AM, King Dork said:

13 hours ago, King Dork said:

Well that was quick 😂