How Did We Do In the 1st Round  

50 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Overall Grade?

2. 2. How would you grade the Ziaire Williams pick at #10?

3. 3. How would you grade the Santi Aldama pick at #30?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/21 at 08:31 AM

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think we start Ja/Bane/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren as our “future is now” starting lineup.  Slo Mo runs the bench with ZW and XT.

I think there's a decent chance of that happening, particularly if they aren't keeping/playing Tyus. Someone needs to run the point, and we didn't draft a guy. Kyle and Melton are really the only other options, and Kyle makes the most sense. I don't see X getting playing time over Adams to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well I'm sure the analytics on Santi are pretty darn good. There is no way to spin Analytics for Williams, as he was awful. He is a reach based on potential alone. The stroke looks good, he can create separation, he's a good passer, he's a good defender. He just sucked at actually playing basketball. I guess the only good thing is we don't need him to start or anything like that right away. We'll be plenty fine with a starting lineup of Ja, (any of our SGs), Dillon, Kyle, Jaren in the meantime. He can be brought along slowly, though I certainly expect him to be in the rotation as he's the only SF on our team with that kind of size, length, and athleticism.

Fair enough, there's just a lot of folks here who lived through the Thabeet draft on these very boards...may be different people in the org, but the name on the door is the same. So forgive those of us who are a bit leery.

Bottom line, we all know how one bad draft night can hamper a build. Nobody's perfect. Maybe they had a grand plan that never materialized; a lot of folks were reporting that Memphis wasn't done wheeling and dealing to move up. If those plans didn't work out, they may have been left scrambling a bit. That still doesn't excuse the 30th pick, though. We can roll the dice, but like the guys at ESPN said, this felt like a stash move. And we shouldn't be doing any stash picks, especially ones we're trading into.

After hearing that Ziaire was tearing people up in workouts I'm a lot higher on the pick than before. If Stanford was a fluke, we got a top 5 talent in this draft, and a perfect wing to put between Ja and Jaren. Culture fit is also good - he seems like a great kid based on the interviews I've seen.

Definitely skeptical about tonight's events in ways I haven't been after past drafts this regime has run. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Past drafts were focused on finding playable talent later in the draft who can hopefully fill roles when it's time for the playoffs. This draft was about finding a final piece.

We took a swing. If we strike out on these guys, we still have Ja, Jaren, and all of our 1st round picks and then some. So we'll be okay.

B.

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

After hearing that Ziaire was tearing people up in workouts I'm a lot higher on the pick than before. If Stanford was a fluke, we got a top 5 talent in this draft - and a perfect wing to put between Ja and Jaren. Culture fit is also good - he seems like a great kid based on the interviews I've seen.

Definitely skeptical about tonight's events in ways I haven't been after past drafts this regime has run. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Past drafts were focused on finding playable talent later in the draft. This draft was about finding a final piece.

We took a swing. If we strike out on these guys, we still have Ja, Jaren, and all of our 1st round picks and then some. So we'll be okay.

B.

Tearing up against who? Did we workout him prior of the draft? 

I watched his film season, the only move that caught my attention was a side step midrange the Mike Schmitz pointed out

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

After hearing that Ziaire was tearing people up in workouts I'm a lot higher on the pick than before. If Stanford was a fluke, we got a top 5 talent in this draft - and a perfect wing to put between Ja and Jaren. Culture fit is also good - he seems like a great kid based on the interviews I've seen.

Definitely skeptical about tonight's events in ways I haven't been after past drafts this regime has run. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Past drafts were focused on finding playable talent later in the draft. This draft was about finding a final piece.

B.

Workouts aren't games. There's no help defense, no guys digging in on your handle, no big at the rim etc etc.

The NBA isn't a game of 21. What you do in games is ultimately the most predictive.

I really cant grade it now. Williams is a project and I know nothing about Santi. I just know that I would prefer to still have JV + Trey + Sims than what we have now.

Those guys better devolop because looking just for this year, we didn't get better, at all.

Another point too i think is being overlooked.   

In each of this regimes drafts they specifically targeted guys and went and got them.     They apparently don't care about draft spots.  This draft is literally no different than the last two. 

Drafted Ja then moved assets to go get Brandon. 

They moved around assets to specifically get Bane and Tillman too.   

They moved around assets to go get Ziaire then did exact same for Santi.

Think i'll give them benefit of the doubt especially with Ziaire.   Who literally has the skillsets we wanted to obtain in a wing in this draft. 

I think the FO has decided that FA is not the way to get the big fish and rank the draft as best chance of obtaining real talent.   So they are willing to move around assets in order to maximize getting what they want.   Most FO shift assets around to chase Free Agents - our make the same exact same type of moves but just for draftees who cannot tell you No and on a controlled contract.   It is actually a smart tactic for small market team that doesn't attract big fish. 

17 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well I'm sure the analytics on Santi are pretty darn good.

I looked and from quick scan, they are ok but not jump off the page great, especially considering the lower level of competition.   Konchar for example imo had clearly better advanced stats profile, and he was undrafted (albeit a good 2-way contract pickup initially).  I’m honestly not seeing what made Sant worth Trading up to a 1st round pick for. especially over someone like Jared Butler who was also available.  

6 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

I looked and from quick scan, they are ok but not jump off the page great, especially considering the lower level of competition.   Konchar for example imo had clearly better advanced stats profile, and he was undrafted (albeit a good 2-way contract pickup initially).  I’m honestly not seeing what made Sant worth Trading up to a 1st round pick for. especially over someone like Jared Butler who was also available.  

Because he is almost 7ft and plays like a guard on offense.  

1 hour ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Long time no see everybody.

I'm just so confused about tonight's events. Not so much by who we got, but how we went about getting who we got. 

Ziaire probably would have been there at 17. And even if he hadn't, wasn't there still plenty of talent on the board to be had?

Can practically book that Santi would have been there at 40. Probably would have been there when we sent out training camp invites. Now we owe him guaranteed money, and paid 3 2nds for the privilege. 

And then worst of all the kid from Baylor goes at 40, who I would have been the most excited about amongst all 3 of the players we drafted, and then I see that stupid Utah Jazz logo pop up. 

Somebody tell me I'm not making any sense here.

It makes the trade with New Orleans look less like "the process" and more like the fanbase getting hosed. If you're going to slow down the present at least help us see the future. Nothing that we did tonight required that trade - which makes me think the only reason we did that trade was to get JV out of here. 

I sure hope I wake up in the morning and find out something crazy happened while I slept. I have been very proud of this front office, but then again, you could see on draft night that their moves had some sneaky goodness to them. I don't get this at all. 

My thoughts exactly.  Regarding the "sneaky goodness" comment, I hope you're right.  Like almost everyone else here I want to see these new Grizzlies achieve greatness.

Everything else about the way the draft transpired makes me think owners are trying to tank so they have an excuse to move to a larger market.  I hope I'm wrong on that one.  The FO just couldn't have made worse moves in this draft using a Ouiga board. 

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Because he is almost 7ft and plays like a guard on offense.  

Santi had buzz. Lots of draft geeks liked him. I did some research on him -- then forgot about him.  I don't even think I did an advanced stats breakdown on him.  Let's see what happens.

Overall, solid draft (I guess) but man it has the POTENTIAL to be the MOST OVER-HYPED DRAFTS of all time.

So, Cade is Deluxe Dillon Brooks/Kyle Anderson hybrid.  Jalen Green is ABA David Thompson Lite.  Evan Mobley is Deluxe Divac...  Jalen Suggs is the guy we thought OJ Mayo was.... Giddey is... Vanilla Shaun Livingston (Ok guys I had him at 3 but still gonna rant!).

ZW might end up being... Grant Hill Lite.

That being said, whoever picks up Mac McClung, Alex Freak and Jimma Gatwech as undrafted free agents might WIN this draft. lol

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Another point too i think is being overlooked.   

In each of this regimes drafts they specifically targeted guys and went and got them.     They apparently don't care about draft spots.  This draft is literally no different than the last two. 

Drafted Ja then moved assets to go get Brandon. 

They moved around assets to specifically get Bane and Tillman too.   

They moved around assets to go get Ziaire then did exact same for Santi.

Think i'll give them benefit of the doubt especially with Ziaire.   Who literally has the skillsets we wanted to obtain in a wing in this draft. 

I think the FO has decided that FA is not the way to get the big fish and rank the draft as best chance of obtaining real talent.   So they are willing to move around assets in order to maximize getting what they want.   Most FO shift assets around to chase Free Agents - our make the same exact same type of moves but just for draftees who cannot tell you No and on a controlled contract.   It is actually a smart tactic for small market team that doesn't attract big fish. 

I think teams took the guys who had the best workouts for them.

The mocks were all over the place!  I think MY board was closer than lots of the conventional wisdom MOCKED drafts.

Even though I liked the draft, specifically for Green/Mobley, I actually didn't like Barnes/Kuminga/Moody, thought that Cade shouldn't have been the surefire top pick, and wasn't 100% IN on Wagner or Bouknight or even some of those other guys.  I had Giddey at 3 but the jury is obviously out on him too.  He would have been a better pick with a freak athlete at the 1 like Ja rather than a pedestrian athlete like SGA.  

Maybe we got Grant Hill Lite with Ziaire.  Let's find out!

B+

I wanted them to take a swing. They didn’t take the swing I wanted so no A, but I’m still cool as long as we didn’t take some old dude like Duarte cause they can help us win now. 

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Umm... neither guy are on my freshly made Mother of All Draft Boards.  

You should really consider doing something else with your spare time. Your ability to rate players is highly suspect. 

1 hour ago, My man Allen said:

Maybe I’m trippin but dude looks pretty good. He’s skilled and athletic for his size

Big man who has rannnngggggeeeee. Oh, and can rebound. Maybe what Jaren should be? Lol. 

really good footwork in the post. Not quick

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

B+

I wanted them to take a swing. They didn’t take the swing I wanted so no A, but I’m still cool as long as we didn’t take some old dude like Duarte cause they can help us win now. 

I'm actually with you on this, except I'm giving them an incomplete/ to be determined. I wouldn't have picked Williams, but I wanted them to swing for the fences and if it fails, it fails. They did that. Let's see what happens. I will root for the kid and hope for the  best. If he's a stud, it will dramatically change our trajectory. 

I gave everything a C because it's all wait and see. Neither of these guys are ready for next year and that's fine - they have Ja and Jaren and a few first round picks over the next couple of drafts and are taking their swings. I get it.

They believe that ZW wasn't going to be there at 17 so they traded up. That's fine. Whatever. Not sure I believe that, but it's cool.

However, the fact that all their previous picks turned into Trey Murphy, Jared Butler and BJ Boston is mildly disheartening.

The big hope and prayer is the ZW keeps growing, maybe tops out at a true 6-10 (like some draft expert claimed last night - though he measured 6-8 w/o shoes at the combine). Because he's got the reach and good skill levels and by all accounts a good work ethic to be an effective offensive threat. He needs the training table and the weight room for sure, but he's never going to be a mangler - just doesn't have the frame - narrow shoulders.

I see a lot of day after justifying this morning. Truth is no one, or maybe almost no one, would have been happy with Ziaire at 10 this time yesterday. Go back and read the threads if you doubt this.

When I suggested the Magic might take Ziaire at 8, pushing a better player down to us, the response was something like "you mean the guy mocked in the 20s?".

That we hope is turns out well goes without saying, we are all Grizz fans. You can still grade it honestly, and hope it works out.

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Big man who has rannnngggggeeeee. Oh, and can rebound. Maybe what Jaren should be? Lol. 

really good footwork in the post. Not quick

Yea he does look like what we want from Jaren.   Imagine pairing him with JJJ .  Ja + Bane + Ziaire + JJJ + Santi  lineup could be ridiculous.   

These picks plus current roster gives us a ridiculous versatile roster

Athletes:  Ja, Brandon, Yves, Jaren, DeAnthony, Zairie, Jaren, Santi

Playmakers/Passers: Ja, Tyus, Kyle, Ziaire, Tillman, Bane, Santi, Konchar

Shooters:  bane, Grayson, Jaren, Santi, Melton

Defenders, DB, Jaren, Yves, Adams, Tillman, Z, Melt BC Konch

Versatility: DB, Kyle, Jaren, Tillman, Z, Melt, Konchar, 

Brutes: Yves, Adams, Tillman

We have a roster that can lineup against anyone.  We are not forced to play just one way.   Kleinman wasn't kidding when he said he was going after a Championship. 

Picture if these guys workout in 2 years. 

Aldama, JJJ, Williams, Brooks, Ja. 

All you need is a bench playmaker and maybe another 3/4 that can shoot off the bench. 

24 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I see a lot of day after justifying this morning. Truth is no one, or maybe almost no one, would have been happy with Ziaire at 10 this time yesterday. Go back and read the threads if you doubt this.

When I suggested the Magic might take Ziaire at 8, pushing a better player down to us, the response was something like "you mean the guy mocked in the 20s?".

That we hope is turns out well goes without saying, we are all Grizz fans. You can still grade it honestly, and hope it works out.

You are 100% correct. 

I literally said I wouldn’t have done it tho lol. But I would also rather have him than Duarte or Kispert or Wagner

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Picture if these guys workout in 2 years. 

Aldama, JJJ, Williams, Brooks, Ja. 

All you need is a bench playmaker and maybe another 3/4 that can shoot off the bench. 

Add Bane as a guy off the bench, think he’s solidified 

I went B straight down. Whoever the idiot was who started this poll should have given the option for plusses and minuses. Geez Louise 🙄 I don't generally personally insult people on this board but what a dolt

Anyway:

Overall:B-

Williams: I'll say B-. Nothing against him. The way I looked at the draft is there was a top tier of 3 guys and a second tier of 3-4 more players and then just a slew of guys, probably 10-12 or so  on that third tier. He was on that third tier with so many other players that were mentioned. If we wanted to make a trade, I would have liked to have moved into that second tier. With all of that being said, his biggest knock is the low shooting %. I'm not so concerned about that if he can create his own shot, put the ball on the floor and play above the rim. If he can create his own shot but is missing the shot, I'm fine with that because you can get shooting coaches to help with that. He was clearly in their pool of guys. He clearly had a good vibe with the front office and thought about being here and wanted to be here. I'll go so far as to say, he would have been disappointed if he wasn't picked by us (via the Pels). I don't know if he will contribute much next year. He may be at least 1 if not 2 years away from contributing on a consistent basis but he has a lot of the intangibles and the athletic ability, he just has to fix his shot. I will buy that COVID thing affecting him last year as well. He lost 2 uncles and was not really on Stanford's campus. I can't be a jerk and say "he should have rose above that", no, he was an 18 year old kid and he was clearly affected. I'm fine with the pick but no one will ever be able to tell me he wasn't going to be there at 17. I don't think he's any better or worse than anyone else you could have selected at 10. I would have given the same grade if it were Bouknight or Moody, mainly because we made a trade to take on 2 bad contracts, nothing to do with Williams himself. 

Aldama: B- . I almost gave him a C as a neutral grade but it sounds like the Grizz really scouted this kid and made him a promise so they obviously wanted him. Will he here next year? Not sure. I'll bump him up a lil bit to a B- cause I for one am not that familiar with him. Maybe some of our Spanish posters can give more insight. I know FBS posted about him in a different thread.